This Isn't Super Smash Bros. 5

IrisZ

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
I thought I was buying Super Splatoon Bros. Deluxe Arcade Edition with Dante from Devil May Cry for the Wii U
Darn

Oni

Full Squid
It isnt? then how are we going to have Ridley debates?

*deletes account*

but yeah the parelels between games arent very common other than this will be the "casual shooter" like smash is the "casual fighter" and will likely be balanced as such. Everything else is completely different

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
If it's not Smash 5 how is Ridley and Inkling here, hmm? It seems pretty clear this is a lot of our Smashboards' usernames. I do believe this is Smash 5. You can't tell me otherwise.

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
At the end of the day it's a shooter that focuses on covering ground rather than killing opponents. I don't think there is any other shooter that is quite like that.
Did you ever play Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2? It's not a shooter, obviously, but I just remembered it has a turf war kind of mode. It's a versus mode where the players have to claim obstacles like ramps, rails, kickers, etc. by doing tricks on them. The first player to do a trick on an obstacle will paint it their color, but if the other player does a trick on the same obstacle that earns more points, they steal the obstacle and paint it their color.

I think that is the closest comparison to Splatoon as far as the overall goal goes. Except for that X360 game that is like the same thing as this one, but without the squids. Has no one else really never heard of it?

Reactions: Lyn

Setu

Lol I didnt want to start any flame wars. I I was just using the statement to lead into the question. I also was just reminded of star wars battlefront where you are trying to take control of certain stations/locations.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
WaveshockerSigma
I thought I was buying Super Splatoon Bros. Deluxe Arcade Edition with Dante from Devil May Cry for the Wii U

Since most of this site is coming from Smashboards, let me just be the first to say that thisisn't another smash bros game, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such. There is a huge difference between a mainly 1v1 competitive game and 4v4 team gaming. So I plead that we don't constantly relate to it. I understand that this site is linked to smashboards but I just feel like this needed to be pointed out.
Seriously though, what's your deal @Setu? Are you upset because a lot of people who like Smash are on this forum and excited for this game or what? Gee, it's like the same people who made Smashboards created this place and told their members about it or something.

What are you getting at? Are you trying to say that you don't want the competitive rules and scene to go similarly to how it is for Smash when it comes out? While I don't think that's something to even be worried about given the vastly different nature and genre of Splatoon, whatever happens, happens. You can hope all you want but randomly stating it so vaguely without any sort of context doesn't do much for you in the long run.

Last edited:

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou

Seriously though, what's your deal? Are you upset because a lot of people who like Smash are on this forum and excited for this game or what? Gee, it's like the same people who made Smashboards created this place and told their members about it or something.

What are you getting at? Are you trying to say that you don't want the competitive rules and scene to go similarly to how it is for Smash when it comes out? While I don't think that's something to even be worried about given the vastly different nature and genre of Splatoon, whatever happens, happens. You can hope all you want but randomly stating it so vaguely without any sort of context doesn't do much for you in the long run.
Don't read too much into it I think it was a joke lol

Reactions: Lyn

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
WaveshockerSigma
Don't read too much into it I think it was a joke lol
The starting post was a joke? Then forgive me if I fail to see the punchline, cause it's not funny at all. -.o'

Lyn

Premium
The starting post was a joke? Then forgive me if I fail to see the punchline, cause it's not funny at all. -.o'
She was talking about her own post because you didn't separate "& KNUCKLES" to the rest of your post when you quoted her.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
WaveshockerSigma
She was talking about her own post because you didn't separate "& KNUCKLES" to the rest of your post when you quoted her.
Uh, AEM didn't make the joke post I responded to. And is a guy. o_o

Plus, I didn't need to separate it. It was more than obvious as to who I was talking to (Setu, in case you're wondering) through the context of everything else underneath. Never had a problem with anyone understanding that before.

But I've already edited the post just in case people "somehow" make that mistake again.

You were referring to Setu? My mistake then, it was hard to tell if you were talking to another person.

And just as I say that...-sigh- >>'

Reactions: AEM

LunarDistortion

Inkster Jr.
I really don't think this needed to explicitly be addressed, I think everyone realizes that the meta will grow differently as it's a completely different genre.

Lyn

Premium
I really don't think this needed to explicitly be addressed, I think everyone realizes that the meta will grow differently as it's a completely different genre.
Yeah, I agree. I'm sure the intentions were pure, though. He does underestimate the fanbase though. :confused:

DigDeep

Senior Squid
Eh, I think you're really being paranoid.
Probably no one' s coming here and thinking this absolutely looks like smash. Splatoon is easily its own thing and will develop its own style.

The only thing I will bring up is let's PLEASE not follow the stupid Smash Bros naming convention of advance tech. It worked st first and than just got dumb, DACUS, DITCIT. Seriously, if what you discovered is longer than "jump cancel" don't continue with that convention and don't name it after yourself, come up with something that describes it but comes off the tounge.

Setu

Alright, maybe I am getting slightly paranoid, but my main purpose of this thread was to converse about what games will be most comparable to Splatoon. I just felt like I needed to point out it wasn't a smash game not because of the game, but the methods of how the community wants to play/limit this game in comparison to smash games. For example, people assuming that there will be things to be banned, "maining" a certain color of inkling, and assuming that there will automatically be local tournaments as if online won't be competitive enough, etc. I don't want to sound like a downer for all people coming from smashboards, even if it would be nice to have a more diverse community.

Mansuta8

Inkster Jr.
NNID
WafflePi
Well the maining thing is from any competitive community, actually every competitive game is going to have all of the things you just mentioned. LoL and other online multiplayer games have locals, sometimes people ban things that are overused because they are better than anything else and take less skill.

Setu

Well the maining thing is from any competitive community, actually every competitive game is going to have all of the things you just mentioned. LoL and other online multiplayer games have locals, sometimes people ban things that are overused because they are better than anything else and take less skill.
There are plenty of competitive games that don't have any of the things I said as well. And everyone is an inkling, so it wouldn't make sense nor would it matter if someone "mained" one color over another, that is, if there even is a way to choose inkling/team color in matches.

Last edited:

Mansuta8

Inkster Jr.
NNID
WafflePi
I think you would be able to choose your color on the main hub, Maining colors is really just for fun and people do it in fighting games and other games that let you choose your preferred color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom