This Isn't Super Smash Bros. 5

Since most of this site is coming from Smashboards, let me just be the first to say that this isn't another smash bros game, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such. There is a huge difference between a mainly 1v1 competitive game and 4v4 team gaming. So I plead that we don't constantly relate to it. I understand that this site is linked to smashboards but I just feel like this needed to be pointed out.

Besides that, what game do you guys think The creative/unique Splatoon would be most easily relatable to?
De blob, No contest, it's sooo similar.

in De blob, you play as a blob creature, that paints the colorless world, you are able to run out of paint, so you have to get more.
You have enemies who are trying to make the world colorless, and touching them removes your color.
You have allies who come from underground similar to the old squid guy.

It's all pretty similar.

Last edited:

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Ehh... nothing really. It's a completely original idea. Really hope it's good though.

NNID DubaloSeven

Inkster Jr.
Just to say, Sakurai said Smash 3DS is Smash 4 and Smash U is Smash 5.
We've known Sakurai is kinda dumb for awhile now though. This is the guy who put tripping in Brawl and referred to custom moves in Smash 4 as "almost cheating" and locked them all behind RNG.

He's a good developer and I appreciate the effort he's put into Smash, but I wouldn't put much bearing on his actual opinions.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Hm, well, Splatoon =/= Smash shouldn't be a hard deduction, but it's pretty easy to tell that the two communities are going to overlap--this website was made by someone who started in Smash afterall, and I think people who are here at this stage of the game (as in before the game is even out) and don't know about competitive Smash are a definite minority.

I doubt we'll have the same problems the Smash community is having because;
  • The lead developer is embracing the competitive side
As DubaloSeven stated, Sakurai just.... He's so.... He is very....... All the time.
He talks about making the game less competitive so it has higher accessibility, something which a game like, say, Skullgirls totally lacks, but doesn't seem to realize that these two things are not mutually exclusive. You can make a game easy to pick up and still have the depth to keep people playing at a high level, look at TF2 or Mario Kart. Sakurai purposely cuts things from the game for these reasons and it really does suffer because of it--but this isn't the thread for that.
  • Splatoon doesn't have it's own "Melee"
Even though we have a split between regular and ranked, in the end its all in the same game. People going around saying "Wow I can't believe you don't play ranked! Why even bother!" are going to look like tools and get laughed out of here, which doesn't happen in the Smash community where Melee elitism* runs rampant and starts spats and overall makes the community look bad as well as discourage people from getting into it.

• Splatoon is totally fresh and will have an ironically clean slate
Kind of similar to the above point, but everyone is going to be new at this game--one of the joys of a brand new multiplayer IP is that we're all scrubs, and everyone will be helping everyone get to the top. There won't be a split like in say, Mario Kart, where you have seasoned veterans of the series against people who only played MK7 and MK8 or something like that.

• Splatoon has all kinds of support
Eeeeeeveryone is excited for this game, everyone is gonna play it, and the weak ones will be weeded out eventually, and we'll have a fresh meta for everyone to enjoy. Since the Smash community is also excited for this game, I can see people hosting Splatoon tournies alongside Smash in venues and things like that. Eventually, say, next year or the one after, Splatoon will be an independent community and places like Squidboards will be a buzzing hive of things to do and people to meet!

So to wrap up this long post, Splatoon has a crazy low chance of winding up like Smash did because it's simply not Smash. We should all be free of anxiety and let this new wave wash over us as we sink into the ink of this shining newborn metagame. Viva Splatoon!

*If you're a melee fan im sorry but you really need to see what your community is doing to brawl/smash 4 players. i quit smash because of all the bullying going on and when you take a step back, theres just so much negativity that stems from melee that it ruins the whole smash...dish, i guess.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
Now that the point has been made in essay form, can we stop piling on the OP? There are now dozens of posts to the effect of "no ****," I think Setu sufficiently regrets his decision to post this thread. Let's lay off (unless you have something new or constructive to say)

Reactions: Oni

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
De blob, No contest, it's sooo similar.

in De blob, you play as a blob creature, that paints the colorless world, you are able to run out of paint, so you have to get more.
You have enemies who are trying to make the world colorless, and touching them removes your color.
You have allies who come from underground similar to the old squid guy.

It's all pretty similar.

This was the game it reminded me of, thanks for posting this!

Setu

Now that the point has been made in essay form, can we stop piling on the OP? There are now dozens of posts to the effect of "no ****," I think Setu sufficiently regrets his decision to post this thread. Let's lay off (unless you have something new or constructive to say)
After all of this dumb commentary, yes, I do somewhat regret it. But my whole purpose with this thread was to inform people that Splatoon events, rules, bans, and tournaments will not be even similar to smash bros. I'm seeing people who are talking about how there will be all of these events and tournaments that are basically formatted exactly the same as smash tourneys, and then believe it or not, these same people are coming onto my thread saying "NO ****". Its all of these sheltered smash players who have not seen any other competitive communities that are pissing me off.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Just to say, Sakurai said Smash 3DS is Smash 4 and Smash U is Smash 5.
Darnit. I was about to make fun of the people on the gamefaqs boards that spread this around but then I saw this >_<
Sakurai had said he considers them Smash version 4 and version 5, not literally Smash 4 and Smash 5. Sequel wise they are still the same entry, but version wise they are separate

In response to Pivi. Having hung out on the Smash4 boards on gamefaqs(really bad idea >_<) a bit I have to say that neither side of the old Melee squabble is any better at that point since I would often see more arguments start from the anti-melee people this time around(a lot of which slamming competitive play in general). Both sides are keeping the vitriol going from what I saw unfortunately.

Anyway this topic has reminded me how much I want Inklings in Smash. Im hoping for DLC for them :)

memoryman3

Inkling
NNID
memoryman3
Unfortunately, unlike Smash, Splatoon has no local bot play to practice....

Kirbyfan391

Inkling
I don't see why any and all comparison from Splatoon to Smash should be disregarded.
After all, the Smash community being interested in this game already speaks volumes for the similarities between the two, at least in appeal, than the differences can only argue for. For the most part, a lot of users in here are also in Smashboards.
Edit: Although if we're going in terms of strictly game mechanics and whatnot, then I have to agree with the comparison of Splatoon to TF2 the most.

Colgate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
The physics seem more like Smash 64 2.0 actually. Kinda disappointed, wanted it to be more like Brawl physics :S

But seriously tho, it's a shooter, not a fighting game. Who compares it? xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom