• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Throwing the game? in turf war

Belial

Full Squid
I generally block players who don't play or are obnoxious squidbaggers. If you go into your user options after a match and manage your block list you can pick the players from your recent matches and block them.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I generally block players who don't play or are obnoxious squidbaggers. If you go into your user options after a match and manage your block list you can pick the players from your recent matches and block them.
I've given up on blocking TW players, but you throw in ranked.....blocked. Hell, even SR....blocked. Never thought it'd get bad enough to block in SR, but I've done it before in the past.

Merch_Andise

Inkster Jr.
NNID
solarOddity
Switch Friend Code
SW-1239-4877-3880
Imo squid partying should be a bannable offense.

You could make the argument that losing in turf war doesn't really mean anything, and that's valid. But at the same time, I'm spending 60$ to play this game. Plus an additional 20$ for online alone. Shockingly, I want to play the game I spent money on -.-

Cephalobro

Don't forget weapon freshness, the thing that I try to at least raise every weapon to Raw. I want to be able to raise that freshness up as soon as possible, so I'd rather not have stupid game throwers ruining that for me.

Fabrunette

Full Squid
NNID
Fabrunette
Switch Friend Code
SW-8140-7460-1544
I found it pretty funny when my team was losing badly and i respawned to see them squidpartying. I laughed my *** off. Honestly it's just a game and people should stop taking things so serious. It helps you make new friends and it's overall a grand ol time. winning or nah. I guess in ranked and league it's a different story. (I never squidparty in Ranked) But at Salmon Run when you've overcome all the waves and got enough eggs. Squidparty away fam. It's great fun.

radio-fashion

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3797-5332-9696
Tbh, im of the opinion that turf war is really the only place to squid party, aside from the end of salmon run and private battles (obs). Absolutely never in the middle of salmon run or anywhere near ranked. Turf war is 3 minutes, and honestly i get excited when squidparties happen, it's fun to have people come together! By all means tho, hate people who do it in ranked, the last thing I want is my delicate ranked B going down bc of some jerk throwing the game, and I can only imagine it gets more stressful the higher ranked you are

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
Here’s my opinion on squidpartying. I’m fine with it in Turf War. It’s easy enough to simply leave the lobby before the next game if encountering one with squidpartiers. Having a turf game lost due to a squidparty during a climb for weapon freshness could be annoying, but assuming most of the players in the match are partying and you’re the only/one of the only ones inking turf, wouldn’t that more than likely award you an easy win instead of a loss? In any case, while not meaning to depreciate the value of Turf War in comparison to ranked modes, many players tend to place less competitive weight into Turf Wars, and in a more casual environment feel more comfortable letting loose and having fun with other humoring squiddos. Considering the lightheartedness of the game and the included targeted age groups of players, I think it’s unfair to call for limiting this form of fun; they paid their $60+$20 too, and there’s nothing in the rules that tells them to “play seriously, or don’t play at all.” Of course, it’s anyone’s right to get annoyed by it as well – then, simply leave the lobby to them, take a deep breath, reset your focus, and don’t let it tilt you.

It’s a bit different in ranked. I still wouldn’t call the activity a “punishable offense” by any means, but I do understand how encountering it while trying to climb the ladders can seriously aggravate others. The word “ranked” that Nintendo placed on the mode was intentional – it implies a heavier emphasis on competitiveness. But again, considering the random queue of lobbies, it’s unlikely that players will encounter squidparties too often, so if you’re finding yourself getting tilted by one as opposed to more technical reasons related to the match, maybe it’s a good idea to take a moment to gather yourself and let the annoyance pass. Trust me, I get just as salty and irritated when it happens to me. But yeah, like others said, it becomes super rare at higher levels anyway.

There are a few instances when squidparties can be fun in ranked modes. There have been cases when someone disconnects early on in the match, and the advantageous team invites the disadvantaged one to squidparty, all in fun! I mean, there’s something to be said in trying to beat the odds in said match as well.. but a friendly squidparty in a 3-4 situation can help ease the sting of experiencing the disconnect. I think it’s kind of an honorable show of good will. Note that I’m disassociating “squidpartying” from “squidbagging,” which I find very distasteful and a form of bad sportsmanship.

As an aside: It was through a random, well-received squidparty moment in Turf that my squad met someone who was then invited to join our little group. Turns out he was an ink-credibly skilled player who became one of our frontliners in league matches. So sure, squidparties can be annoying to some, but to others, they can be great opportunities to meet new teammates – or better, new friends.

Cephalobro

Whenever I can without the risk of being splatted, I become a jerk to squid partiers just to teach them a lesson to not squid party in public lobbies. Somebody has to be pushing them away from public lobbies, so I'm doing my part on making sure the game doesn't become unplayable for the players who want to play as intended.

radio-fashion

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3797-5332-9696
If it's that big of a deal, wouldnt just ignoring them and inking everything you can, then leaving that lobby be the smarter option? I mean, it isn't like thats going to stop them at all, theyre just going to think youre a jerk. Not everyone has the friends to do it in private battles (unless youre referring to people doing that in ranked, then absolutely be a jerk)

Cephalobro

If it's that big of a deal, wouldnt just ignoring them and inking everything you can, then leaving that lobby be the smarter option? I mean, it isn't like thats going to stop them at all, theyre just going to think youre a jerk. Not everyone has the friends to do it in private battles (unless youre referring to people doing that in ranked, then absolutely be a jerk)
In any mode that has something in stake, I will be a jerk to squid partiers, which just so happens that Turf War also has things at stake, plus, squid partiers are jerks to players who just want to play the game as intended, so I decided to take authorotive action to make sure they don't ruin the game for everybody else. Plus, there's always the chance that squid partiers will want to leave the lobby after that, which was the case today when I witnessed it happening. I just splatted them whenever I saw the chance and they left the lobby. Forcing those who just want to play the game as intended to leave a lobby just for stupid shenanigans is not okay at all.

Last edited:

DJ Particle

Senior Squid
NNID
DJParticle
Switch Friend Code
SW-0728-9987-8856
Seriously...in regular Turf War, what do you actually lose by losing? Your weapon vibe? (which doesn't really count for anything other than itself) Regular Turf War is meant to be casual. Have some fun with it!

Whereas I don't usually party, if I see a party going on with enough squids, I just might join. Also, if Tiny Rick (a YouTuber party squid) is in the lobby, well, then it's party time anyway! :p

I can see not partying in Ranked, Salmon, or Splatfest...but folks...we're talking standard Turf War here! It's the casual mode. Let it be casual.

Cephalobro

Weapon vibe actually means a lot for those who are 100%ing the game, so yeah it does matter. Not only that, I'm not going to risk my rank if I want to use a ticket, that's just stupid. Nothing is going to change my stance on ending squid parties on public lobbies. Keep that stupidity in private and out of public.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
People who play turf war want to enjoy the game just as much as people who play ranked, and squidpartying ruins the game just as much in TW as in ranked.

Why is that so god damn hard to understand for some people?

If I play a game of chess with a friend, the stakes aren't as high as two professionals playing in a championship. Doesn't mean it's okay for someone to kick over the table.

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
What I think makes a difference here is the tone of the game and the draw it has on most of its players. Let's be honest here - of everyone who owns and plays the game, how many in any given sample are focused on 100%-ing the game, including weapon freshness? Comparatively, how many in that sample often play the game after a long day at school or work as a means of relaxing and unwinding? Of those who do squidparty, how many do it consciously intending to be "jerks to players?" Again, this is in no way an argument to try and discredit your preferred way of playing the game - and by all means, hate the fact that people squidparty, as that's a valid sentiment...and move on from those lobbies. There is never going to be a mass-banning because of it. The tone of the game will most likely stay the same, despite a personal crusade to "be jerks to squid partiers," which in itself is telling of who has the more aggressive intentions here. It's not just your game, or the hardcore players' game - it's everybody's game.

Comparing Splatoon with a game of chess isn't a very fair or balanced argument, nor is equivalating a squidparty to kicking over the table. You kick over the table because you're intentionally being a disruptive jerk or you're a marauding Vandal in Roman territory. I understand you personally want to play Turf War seriously, and I respect that - wish we can meet in TW sometime and have some fun trying to win Judd's favor. But again, it's Turf War in Splatoon 2 - if the occasional squidparty frazzles you, nobody is stopping you from leaving the lobby and setting up shop in one that's more objective-oriented.

Cephalobro

The problem is because many squid partiers take the public lobbies for themselves, that's why they need to be put down because if not, it will spread like a virus from which it will deem "against the rules" for playing the game as intended, some other multiplayer-focused games already suffered this fate, Splatoon is still a relatively young series, stop trying to kill it with the stupidity of not playing the game in public lobbies.

And for 100%ing the game including weapon freshness, many players actually do it, but it's not just them who have problems with squid partiers, it's also players who use tickets because of course, they are not going to use ranked to grind abilities.

Also, high stakes or not, the game isn't for squid partiers or anyone who doesn't play as intended.

Last edited:

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
Honestly, I'm a bit unnerved at your usage of terms. "need to be put down" "spread like a virus" "teach them a lesson" "take authoritative action" These aren't bio-terrorists or juvenile delinquents, they're players in a videogame, just like you.

In any case, does Nintendo have an official stance on squidparties? Tried to look into it but I couldn't find much. They must know about squidparties - it's been happening since the first game. Have they banned anyone for doing it, perhaps players reported for unsportsman-like conduct? If they have then I'll concede that as a rule against squidparties, but otherwise I don't see anything identifying squidparties as "against the rules," in an official sense.

Cephalobro

There have been cases where people who squid party were banned through reports. So yeah, Nintendo does have rules against squid parties. Also, I apologize for the terms that I used, it's that this year, in particular, was just horrible to me and I needed some sort of place to let it all out. And I just wanted to play the game without anyone interfering with my fun.

Last edited:

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
If that is indeed the case that they were banning players for it, then yeah squidpartying is an issue as it violates some form of Terms of Service enforced by Nintendo. Though, it would be nice to have some physical evidence of this.

Sorry to hear you've been having a bad year, dude. Regardless of what you encounter in the game, Splatoon is meant to be fun, so try not to let it frazzle you. I'd suggest taking a moment to cool off and gather yourself if you find squidparties or whatever else is bothering you while playing. Remember the positives of the game, and stay fresh, bro!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
What I think makes a difference here is the tone of the game and the draw it has on most of its players. Let's be honest here - of everyone who owns and plays the game, how many in any given sample are focused on 100%-ing the game, including weapon freshness?
It's true that most people aren't occupied with that, but most people ARE focused on having a good time, and squidpartyers have a negative effect on having a good time.

Comparatively, how many in that sample often play the game after a long day at school or work as a means of relaxing and unwinding?
I play the game to unwind after a long day, and if I keep getting people throwing the game in the thing I chose to spend my only free hour of the day on, that ****ing sucks.
And let's be honest, most squidpartyers are probably people with too much free time on their hands, while the people most affected by them are those who only have a little bit of free time each day.

Of those who do squidparty, how many do it consciously intending to be "jerks to players?"
It doesn't matter whether you set out to be a jerk or not. Squidpartyers might not set out to be jerks, but they damn well know they ARE being jerks to others. It might not be their goal, but it's a result of their actions anyway.

If 99% of people want to play the game as intended, and the other 1% can only do their thing by ruining it for the others involved, then no, the game ISN'T for them.

Again, the fact that squidpartyers in public lobbies exist is bad enough, but that they're so in denial about the fact that they're being assholes to everyone else is what annoys me more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom