• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

To use motion controls or to not use motion controls....

Motion controls: yay or nay?

• Total voters

DigDeep

Senior Squid
I didn't like them. If I moved even a little the camera would freak out. Turned on classic controls after about 3 games.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
In general, I love motion controls. Metroid Prime Trilogy and the recent Zelda remakes have made great use of them. It's funny to me, then, that Splatoon's motion controls, at least for this demo, are pretty bad. Here's hoping the full game has more options.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
Motion controls surely are the most polarizing thing in the game so far, from what I've seen.
I personally like them a lot! They make aiming really easy and intuitive.
With that said, though, I turn them off when I use the Roller, they kinda get in the way.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
No, but the game way designed with MC in mind.
Dual Stick control scheme for shooters have been around on consoles for more than a decade practically while motion controls are pretty new and have divided opinion by the gaming community.

By definition the motion controls are not reallt "classic," but I get what you're saying.

michael_goldfish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
michael_godfish
I enjoyed the feel of the motion controls, but I couldn't get used to using the stick for horizontal and solely the motion controls for vertical. I wish the stick had vertical control with the motion control so I could just use both while playing.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
When I read the manual and saw no mention of turning off motion controls I really questioned my position on this game. Admittedly when playing the tutorial I realised they worked a lot better than I'd have expected, but I was still super relieved when i saw the words "Motion Controls" and "Off" on the control screen.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I find the game way easier to play without them. If you want to be able to aim correctly having them on is likely going to give a large disadvantage.

GLB

Senior Squid
I didnt mind gyro too much but yeah I probably will turn them off.

Really wish there was a quick 180 button

Sleepy_Icarus

Inkling
NNID
StarrKnight
I didn't really find the motion controls that bad. I managed to do pretty well yesterday with them on, but I'll probably turn them off for the next Global Testfire to try it out.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Tough to say. I really wish the demo was all weekend long. I really need more time to play the game, try out the motion controls with all of the weapons and mess with the sensitivity more. Not only that, but I feel like not using them will put you at a disadvantage so I'm going to have to give that a shot. It probably won't be as bad without motion controls if you're using the Splattershots, but that's just me at the minute.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
Controlled well as expected: turning with the Right Stick (recommend sensitivity at around plus or minus 1), with the gyro serving as manual aim assist. Having said that, I would've preferred to use pointer controls though, especially with the point-and-click nature of the Wii Remote and having both aiming and turning tied to the reticule. Also, I wouldn't have to tilt my head down just to view the map if the GamePad could placed on a nearby stand.
I didnt mind gyro too much but yeah I probably will turn them off.

Really wish there was a quick 180 button
Move your character in the intended opposite direction and press Y to reset the camera behind you.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I think the motion controls are worth learning. They're a bit fiddly at first, but mastering them would mean you're able to react much faster and aim with more precision than with the old-fashioned stick controls.

LyonHart

Inkster Jr.
I started out with the motion controls just to see how it would feel like. I already knew since E3 last year that was definitely not going to work out for me, but figured why not let's try it.

Definitely don't try it. Just let me aim with the right stick like you normally would and we gucci.

Kind of crazy how fast the camera is, yet it still felt really good. Testfire was amazing, and I can't wait to go for the last round in 30 minutes!

mrp0p0

Inkling
Motion is optimal for this game. Since there is no aim button there is no need for an auto aim feature that is used in other shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom