Top Tier Weapons Discussion

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I don't have a list but I feel that thentatek splattershot and both splattershot pros are good, along with the .52/96 gal's

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I don't think that the 96 should be considered top tier. It has horrible accuracy and a slow 2-shot kill that gets even slower when it misses (which it WILL). That just isn't reliable enough to be considered top tier. It has solid subs and specials, but you can find similar stuff on more reliable weapons elsewhere.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I use the Splash-o-Matic in both ranked modes. Suction Bombs can easily take turf and when put on corners can create traps. This is also fantastic for tower control. The special can quickly take a zone if your postitioned well, and I have held enemies at bay while riding the tower for the win.

As for the weapon itself, its probably one of the most accurate weapons in the game outside of charges. You better be a jumping blaster if a Splash-o-Matic locks onto you first.

I don't know if its the best, but I am seeing them crop up more and more in Ranked and I am having success with it.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
My Top 5 (well, not really) Weapons:

1. Aerospray RG - This is a personal preference and I think MG is actually a better choice (for reasons I will get into), but hey, this is MY top 5 weapons. I'm a huge fan of the Aerosprays, and the reason why I ranked RG over MG is because of the sub weapon and special. Ink Mines are especially useful to diverting an enemy while Inkstrikes are effective to invade enemy territory. In addition, I like how you can choose to place Inkstrikes ANYWHERE on the map, which is extremely useful and also cool.

1B. Aerospray MG - Like I said, which one you like more ultimately comes to which subs and specials you can use better. I'll be willing to admit the MG requires more skill and precision to use, but I don't have precision or aim, and maybe not even skill. However, it still retains all the overpowered-ness of the Aerosprays.

2. Carbon Roller - The best roller by far. Its speedy movement makes you feel light and dynamic, while the other rollers felt slow and heavy, even the regular ones. This one just works and is the perfect fit. I've never been a fan of Burst Bombs, though, and I can't aim, so the Inkzooka is not for me.

3. Splattershot Pro - What stands out to me about the Jr. is the sub and special. The Splat Bombs combined with the Inkstrike makes this a desirable combo. The Splattershot Pro also has the best stats and is the best Splattershot.

4. Splattershot Jr. - The Bubbler is just as good as the Inkstrike, but why it's lower is because of the stats, which I find less balanced,

5. Roller - The standard roller, combined with its Suction Bomb and Killer Wail, can be a huge help with your team.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
Tentatek and .96 Deco are easily the best weapons in the game at the moment in my opinion.
Runner-ups are the normal .52, Splatterscope, Classic Squiffer, normal Dynamo Roller and most likely Forge Pro.

In addition to this all weapons with beacons (especially Krak-on Roller) can be absurdly overpowered with a Quick Respawn-focused loadout.
How to avoid the Kraken? It always finds me, even if I'm hiding.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Splat Zones

Any Charger
96 deco
Any long range loadout with inzooka
Dynamo
anything with splash wall

Tower Control
Any Blaster (especially custom Blaster)
Any Charger
Dynamo
Carbon Roller
Krakon Roller

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
One thing which saves me from time to time (unless I use Ninja Squid) is to just stop moving and hope they won't see you. This works surprisingly often and you can attack the kraken user when the kraken runs out.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Taking Zones & Towers into consideration + a weapon's full kit I'd say top 5 right now would be something like:

Tentatek SS, .96 Deco, Splatterscope, 3K, & Dynamo.

.52 was replaced by .96 Deco, but .52 is still very useful on certain stages because of Killer Wail.

InkCGO

Inkling
Splat Zone
1. Tentakek Splattershot
2. .96 Gal
3. .52 (either)
4. Krak-On Roller
5. E-Litre 3k/Splatterscope/Dynamo/Custom Blaster

Notable Mentions
1. Duel Squelcher
2. Any Bubbler
3. Carbon Roller

Mobility, ink coverage, and kill speed at CQC are what I prioritize for this list. Tentakek is the best mobile weapon that accomplishes these goals. Nothing really comes close to it - it is just a sweet spot it hits. #2 to #4 are just more specialized weapons at different ends of this spectrum. .96 Gal is excellent at getting kills while remaining safe, with little mobility. Krak-On Roller is safe, has a high kill speed, but lacks mobility when there's a lack of ink coverage, or team support. .52 Gal is somewhere between the .96 and Tentatek, but the gun lends itself to unique playstyles that the other weapons can't replicate.

They all have top notch specials. Most have secondaries that are both good, but also supplement the play style or weakness of the weapon. I don't think outside of this list, any other weapons have such good combinations when applied to Splat Zone.

Specific examples of course break this, which is why I included the Notable Mentions. Carbon Roller is beastly on CQC maps like Port Mackeral, or Blackbelly. Bubbler's are always good with people who know how to support their team, or time their special with the most efficient use. With the right play style and skill, they can perform very well, even with their clear disadvantages.

Tower Control
1. Krak-On Roller
2. Custom Blaster
3. Luna Blaster
4. E-Litre 3k
5. Tentakek/.52 (either)/.96 Gal Deco

Notable Mentions:
1. Jet Squelcher
2. Dynamo Roller
3. Carbon Roller

I've only played about 75 hours of Tower Control. I don't feel that this list is entirely accurate, and is basically my current conjecture on the game mode..

Krak-On is one of the safest and most lethal CQC weapon in the game. Make a mistake, pull the Kraken out. With lag, you are guaranteed a kill trade. Multiple people on the tower? Probably getting a double kill. The weapon is just efficient on most of the maps. The Blasters are just as lethal, but they are less safe, and are very susceptible to counter-play. However, when things get frantic, or people group up, they are just dreadful to deal with. Again, the tower is very small, and the Blast Range is very big on these two.

Mobility isn't that much of a concern, and it is mainly 'control' the area as the tower moves. So I feel these 3 weapons just perform better than anything else with this mindset. The E-Litre 3k is that 'control' but at a distance (safety). It can be a real hassle to make any progress with the Tower when someone is too far away to counter, and just controls the entire tower area.

For #5, it is just a tie between these three. I don't feel like they perform much better than the other, as they all kind of play into a certain role that TC doesn't really offer. You can control with safety with the .96, but you're not going to be able to contribute in close quarters...which most TC maps require. Most .96 users rely on getting 3 kills before moving in on the Tower, or just get zoned out of the Tower too long to be useful. I've also noticed .96 users just forgoing the Tower, and trying to camp the spawn of the enemy with the Splash Wall and Kraken. I think that's easily counter-able cheese and won't work consistently.

Tentakek has the most to offer, but that's only because it excels at what it needs to do to be useful. It's some kind of self-validating feedback loop. Get kills, and get more kills. Unless you have your special ready, being on the Tower is going to leave you vulnerable. You're also going to be CQC against Roller's and Blasters a lot. You won't be able to be an 'assassin' type of player unless you go for flanks. At A and higher, flanking is hard to do when people actually pay attention to the mini-map. You can counter Blasters well by getting up close, but again, you're foraging for kills, not gaining control and pushing the tower forward. This is where the gun falls short compared to the others.

.52 is interesting. It has the secondaries and specials to be creative and very irritating. So I am probably wrong on the placement of this gun for TC. However, I feel it suffers a little of both from the Tentakek and the .96. It isn't safe CQC, it lacks 'enough' mobility, and it has a huge skill floor to reach to not be utterly useless against the easier to use Blasters or Roller. But even then, the discipline required would probably be better used by the Tentakek.

As for the Notable Mentions, they are just map specific exceptions one has to account for in this 2-map every four hour world.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I find it baffling that people are saying Aerospray is top tier in Ranked matches. That thing literally can not win a fair fight.

.52 was replaced by .96 Deco, but .52 is still very useful on certain stages because of Killer Wail.
IMO the 52 is way more consistent than the 96, and kills way faster than the 96 in the 96's effective range. Yeah, the bullets of the 96 technically go farther but good luck consistently getting kills with it at any viable time at that range. The only thing good about the 96 is its specials.

Last edited:

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I find it baffling that people are saying Aerospray is top tier in Ranked matches. That thing literally can not win a fair fight.
Amen! Aerospray is the only weapon I know for a fact I will never go back to in Ranked after I dropped it. Its not bad, but its far from top.

Manta

Senior Squid
You don't avoid it, you get i front of it and depending on what weapon you have, you shoot the tip of the kraken's head(?) and walk backwards, saved me several times on 1 vs 1's against krakens.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I was so happy when Aerosmith MLG usage dropped like a hot potato. Not because they're difficult to deal with, just because they're so boring to curbstomp because they can't fight back at any capacity

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Splat Zone
1. Tentakek Splattershot
2. .96 Gal
3. .52 (either)
4. Krak-On Roller
5. E-Litre 3k/Splatterscope/Dynamo/Custom Blaster

Notable Mentions
1. Duel Squelcher
2. Any Bubbler
3. Carbon Roller

Mobility, ink coverage, and kill speed at CQC are what I prioritize for this list. Tentakek is the best mobile weapon that accomplishes these goals. Nothing really comes close to it - it is just a sweet spot it hits. #2 to #4 are just more specialized weapons at different ends of this spectrum. .96 Gal is excellent at getting kills while remaining safe, with little mobility. Krak-On Roller is safe, has a high kill speed, but lacks mobility when there's a lack of ink coverage, or team support. .52 Gal is somewhere between the .96 and Tentatek, but the gun lends itself to unique playstyles that the other weapons can't replicate.

They all have top notch specials. Most have secondaries that are both good, but also supplement the play style or weakness of the weapon. I don't think outside of this list, any other weapons have such good combinations when applied to Splat Zone.

Specific examples of course break this, which is why I included the Notable Mentions. Carbon Roller is beastly on CQC maps like Port Mackeral, or Blackbelly. Bubbler's are always good with people who know how to support their team, or time their special with the most efficient use. With the right play style and skill, they can perform very well, even with their clear disadvantages.

Tower Control
1. Krak-On Roller
2. Custom Blaster
3. Luna Blaster
4. E-Litre 3k
5. Tentakek/.52 (either)/.96 Gal Deco

Notable Mentions:
1. Jet Squelcher
2. Dynamo Roller
3. Carbon Roller

I've only played about 75 hours of Tower Control. I don't feel that this list is entirely accurate, and is basically my current conjecture on the game mode..

Krak-On is one of the safest and most lethal CQC weapon in the game. Make a mistake, pull the Kraken out. With lag, you are guaranteed a kill trade. Multiple people on the tower? Probably getting a double kill. The weapon is just efficient on most of the maps. The Blasters are just as lethal, but they are less safe, and are very susceptible to counter-play. However, when things get frantic, or people group up, they are just dreadful to deal with. Again, the tower is very small, and the Blast Range is very big on these two.

Mobility isn't that much of a concern, and it is mainly 'control' the area as the tower moves. So I feel these 3 weapons just perform better than anything else with this mindset. The E-Litre 3k is that 'control' but at a distance (safety). It can be a real hassle to make any progress with the Tower when someone is too far away to counter, and just controls the entire tower area.

For #5, it is just a tie between these three. I don't feel like they perform much better than the other, as they all kind of play into a certain role that TC doesn't really offer. You can control with safety with the .96, but you're not going to be able to contribute in close quarters...which most TC maps require. Most .96 users rely on getting 3 kills before moving in on the Tower, or just get zoned out of the Tower too long to be useful. I've also noticed .96 users just forgoing the Tower, and trying to camp the spawn of the enemy with the Splash Wall and Kraken. I think that's easily counter-able cheese and won't work consistently.

Tentakek has the most to offer, but that's only because it excels at what it needs to do to be useful. It's some kind of self-validating feedback loop. Get kills, and get more kills. Unless you have your special ready, being on the Tower is going to leave you vulnerable. You're also going to be CQC against Roller's and Blasters a lot. You won't be able to be an 'assassin' type of player unless you go for flanks. At A and higher, flanking is hard to do when people actually pay attention to the mini-map. You can counter Blasters well by getting up close, but again, you're foraging for kills, not gaining control and pushing the tower forward. This is where the gun falls short compared to the others.

.52 is interesting. It has the secondaries and specials to be creative and very irritating. So I am probably wrong on the placement of this gun for TC. However, I feel it suffers a little of both from the Tentakek and the .96. It isn't safe CQC, it lacks 'enough' mobility, and it has a huge skill floor to reach to not be utterly useless against the easier to use Blasters or Roller. But even then, the discipline required would probably be better used by the Tentakek.

As for the Notable Mentions, they are just map specific exceptions one has to account for in this 2-map every four hour world.
I would say krak on is far from top tier. Beacons are not good subs, and the Kraken is only eh. The normal Splat roller works a lot better, because you can actually fight people with long range weapons.

Manta

Senior Squid
I would say krak on is far from top tier. Beacons are not good subs, and the Kraken is only eh. The normal Splat roller works a lot better, because you can actually fight people with long range weapons.
I agree with every single word here, the krak-on is good at CQC but that's it, the absolute farthest a krak-on could kill you from is the range of the flick, once your past that range the krak-on is dead, there's just nothing it can do. Even if the krak-on got the kraken it still wouldn't get a kill against a good player using a shooter as they can simply shoot the kraken preventing it from getting the kill (like I said in my post above, I've done it several times)

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I agree with every single word here, the krak-on is good at CQC but that's it, the absolute farthest a krak-on could kill you from is the range of the flick, once your past that range the krak-on is dead, there's just nothing it can do. Even if the krak-on got the kraken it still wouldn't get a kill against a good player using a shooter as they can simply shoot the kraken preventing it from getting the kill (like I said in my post above, I've done it several times)
you don't even need a shooter or ninja squid to lose a kraken. you can literally go hide behind objects while they're still chasing you, stop there and watch them search you

Manta

Senior Squid
you don't even need a shooter or ninja squid to lose a kraken. you can literally go hide behind objects while they're still chasing you, stop there and watch them search you
but it's a lot more fun killing them with a shooter and watching their special go to waste.

LemonPlaid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Exo-Josh
I'm not one for tier lists yet, but def 3k series with extreme range and OHKO. Honestly feel it's overpowered (esp when people get extremely good at the game). Dynamo rollers I also feel are extremely powerful due to their range and OHKO. The swing time is not an effective balance if used properly by combining proper mobility and stealth.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
ChapterSerf
People who say that the Aerosparys are good haven't been in or watched the upper levels of the Ranked. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE uses an Aerospray in A range.

After the most recent patch, Kraken has lost a huge amount of its luster. Unless you're flanking the person in some way or right on top of them, Kraken is not that good. The only way you win when coming head on is if that person is out of Ink (it happens) and can't start swimming quickly.

Beakons can be good if folks recognize and acknowledge them. One person slipping behind enemy lines and planting some beakons can be very useful.

We shouldn't rule out the ever trusty Splattershot Jr. Bubble is still really useful, even with the extra knockback received. I've lost 1 on 1 fights because of a well timed bubble.

Blasters have found a niche in Tower Control. The fact that they can get up close and just pummel the tower is more useful than you'd think.

In general though, I think there's a lot things we haven't seen yet, and we aren't going to see until the August update when people can really start coordinating with each other. For example, I think the suicide build (lots of Quick Respawn combined with Comeback and a blaster) is a great build for Tower Control. People just need to know that that's what you're running. When we can start seeing teams and coordination that comes with being on the same team with the same people that you know, we'll see a whole different game I think.

Reactions: 1o2

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom