• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tournament Ruleset Ideas

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I guess it could just be competitive Battle Dojo, but that mode looks like it might get boring after a while somehow
Battle Dojo would probably get boring.. almost immedietly.

Split Screen isn't a possibility for tournaments. Mainly because - for the game to function properly - EVERY player needs a WiiU gamepad, and you can't hook up multiple gamepads to one console, and you cant hook up multiple consoles to one screen.
Is there a source for this?

G~P

Inkling
Battle Dojo would probably get boring.. almost immedietly.

Is there a source for this?
Well, it seems like common sense but for the sake of good reasoning the sources are:
-Played Splatoon myself, The gamepad is an intergral part of the controls as it contains all of the HUD (or HDD in this case? ha, game designer jokes) for the game.
-A WiiU WILL NOT allow you to hook up more than one gamepad at once. It just won't
-Due to the way input to a tv works, only one console per screen.

kaptinkillem

Inkling
I think that at some point one mode or the other would be picked as the standard, or they could possibly be separate events. But it would have to be the same mode throughout an entire tournament, otherwise it would be like playing stamina instead of stock+time in some rounds of a smash tournament.
I don't agree, competitive halo has differnt game modes during sets, although i think im gonna like splat zones more than turf war

continuityOfficer

Inkster Jr.
-A WiiU WILL NOT allow you to hook up more than one gamepad at once. It just won't
Actually, when the Wii U came out, they confirmed the Wii U can use 2 gamepads.
However, they have not felt there has been a game yet that justifies allowing this.
Once they do, there will be an update that allows it and gamepads will be sol seperatly.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
hopefully tournaments in splatoon are bo5, since games of splatoon are actually pretty fast (splat zones has a 5 minute timer and rounds rarely go into overtime, turf war is just 3 minutes)

honestly 1v1 in splatoon sounds dreadful, it was very clearly designed around 4v4 and battle dojo does not look like a competitive gamemode (especially since one player can screenwatch but the other can't)

Faty

Inkling
Actually, when the Wii U came out, they confirmed the Wii U can use 2 gamepads.
However, they have not felt there has been a game yet that justifies allowing this.
Once they do, there will be an update that allows it and gamepads will be sol seperatly.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What if they announce an update upon launch ;o!!!! That would make everything so much easierr! I highly doubt it tho :c

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What if they announce an update upon launch ;o!!!! That would make everything so much easierr! I highly doubt it tho :c
well i mean, you'd need 4 gamepads for splatoon on one setup :p

that's good news, though. if they do implement such a feature for splatoon they could use it for battle dojo!

for tournaments, honestly if they could just get the same setup with LAN that they used at E3 and PAX we would be good to go for venues. although it would be pricey, counter strike and TF2 tournaments do the same thing for pcs that we would have to do for wii us, so if they can do it, we can

Faty

Inkling
well i mean, you'd need 4 gamepads for splatoon on one setup :p

that's good news, though. if they do implement such a feature for splatoon they could use it for battle dojo!

for tournaments, honestly if they could just get the same setup with LAN that they used at E3 and PAX we would be good to go for venues. although it would be pricey, counter strike and TF2 tournaments do the same thing for pcs that we would have to do for wii us, so if they can do it, we can
You're right haha, I guess all these unanswered questions are just making us panic for no reason. We should all just wait a month and keep the hype alive! :p

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
You're right haha, I guess all these unanswered questions are just making us panic for no reason. We should all just wait a month and keep the hype alive! :p
it's assuming that LAN is in the game, but there's some substantial evidence supporting that it is. even if LAN isn't available to public consumers who bought the game, LAN was used at E3 and PAX, so we could always crack splatoon once the wii u gets homebrew (something that's slowly starting to happen) and use LAN like that

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
I think splatoon would work well with a system where both game modes and maps are chosen at the start of a bo3. Eg: team 1 picks a game mode (splatzones) and team 2 picks a map (Walleye Warehouse) so the first match is splatzones on Walleye Warehouse, the process is reversed for the next game (team 2 picks game mode) and the final game (if needed) will be played on a randomly selected map and game mode.

Alternatively it could be done like counterstrike bo3's where their are 5 maps and each team bans a map then each team picks a map, and the last map remaining is used for the last game. The team that didn't pick the map then picks the game mode.

kaptinkillem

Inkling
I think splatoon would work well with a system where both game modes and maps are chosen at the start of a bo3. Eg: team 1 picks a game mode (splatzones) and team 2 picks a map (Walleye Warehouse) so the first match is splatzones on Walleye Warehouse, the process is reversed for the next game (team 2 picks game mode) and the final game (if needed) will be played on a randomly selected map and game mode.

Alternatively it could be done like counterstrike bo3's where their are 5 maps and each team bans a map then each team picks a map, and the last map remaining is used for the last game. The team that didn't pick the map then picks the game mode.
Alternatively It could be structured like competitive Halo where the three(or 5 in a bo5) game type/ map combinations are chosen before the set by the TOs, I think usually how they do it is that each set in a particular round(such as winners both winners semis sets) play on the same gametype/ maps.

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
Alternatively It could be structured like competitive Halo where the three(or 5 in a bo5) game type/ map combinations are chosen before the set by the TOs, I think usually how they do it is that each set in a particular round(such as winners both winners semis sets) play on the same gametype/ maps.
That could work too and it would probably make teams more balanced over all game types and maps, instead of just practicing the ones they like. It could work with a hybrid system, where the TOs pick the game modes (or a standard for tournaments) and a pick/ban process is used for maps.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Even though Splat zone is the official ranked battle, I kinda also want to see Turf war be used if it can. Turf War is just such a unique way to have a competition. It's actually pretty cool.

But if we do have to have one, it should be splat zone yeah.

BO3 sounds great. Maybe "counterpick" maps? (I'm personally a bigger fan of FLSS from a smash bros stage point but this is a different game). How would counterpicking go? Pick gear then stage I would think? Do we need to have striking or can we just have the losing player pick a stage for free?

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
Bo5 sounds pretty reasonable seeing matches aren't really that long. Teams should also be able to select whether they want an all Turf War match or Splat Zone match or the combination of the two.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are more game modes aside from Splat Zones and Turf War. While I'd like to see both at tournaments (though Splat Zones has most of my interests currently), we should also consider the other modes in Ranked Battle.
Perhaps we'll be seeing CTF, Headquarters, or other Objective-based game variants.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
I am going to compare this to smash, as it is one of the only things I can relate it to, but what if we played all game modes in compeitive, and we would just strike game mode, and then strike stages? If we can have multiple game modes, we could makes sure everyone can do well in a squad, due to the multiple possibilities!

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I think for turfwars there should be a limit on how many inkstrikes a team can have, its a rather strong ability that goes through even if the timer runs out and even if the other team has had the majority of the map under their control for the whole game, 4 inkstrikes can turn it around and get the team that shouldn't have won a narrow victory.

Ultramus

Pro Squid
I wonder if it would be reasonable to extend this into having a draft mode like Mobas have, in order to force matches to have all different weapon setups every time, and to prevent the aforementioned quad inkstrike loadout. I feel like as of right now, a combination of 3 shooters and 1 roller/charger is best. I'd like to avoid forcing teams into a certain composition, but ultimately an esport survives based on it's popularity and viewership. Having variety in the matches boosts viewership, it'd be better to not have every match be 4 jr/mg/rgs vs 4 jr/mg/rgs. Also if anyone is in the Houston area PM me, because as soon as they allow some sort of custom game mode, I plan to start hosting some tournaments. The difficulty right now is the requirement of 8 wii Us and 8 tvs, and then finding established teams. May for the first set of tournaments have to have PuG teams for anyone that signs up. I'm honestly not sure right now how the domestic scene is, especially when I'm still regularly hitting Japanese players more often than not.

CloneHat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CloneHat
I think for turfwars there should be a limit on how many inkstrikes a team can have, its a rather strong ability that goes through even if the timer runs out and even if the other team has had the majority of the map under their control for the whole game, 4 inkstrikes can turn it around and get the team that shouldn't have won a narrow victory.
Actually, they should have won, seeing as they fired four Inkstrikes and covered more ground than the other team.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Actually, they should have won, seeing as they fired four Inkstrikes and covered more ground than the other team.
If they've been behind for the majority(see all but the last second) of the game and then all inkstrike to win, they shouldn't have won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom