• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tournament Ruleset Ideas

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
Wouldn't adding up the amount of over all percent still lead to the victor being whoever won the best of x regardless? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont believe it would change much.

Also everyone is hung up on the idea that people are trying to treat Splatoon like Smash. I see nothing wrong with comparing rulesets as the community should look at all examples and try and craft their own. Personally I have avoided comparing it to smash and have been looking more at other competitive shooters. Looking through most of the comments only a few have even been vaguely smash esc, and if having a stage pick and ban phase is smash related then I'd like to point out all the other games that include a pick and ban phase for stages.

Also why focus on banning that? If a team chooses to use 4 bubblers that means they are sacrificing something in return be it the strength of their gun or another more powerful ability. In an organized environment teams will work at ways to defeat a strat. It is also generally easy to outplay people who think they can run in with the bubblers safe protection IN MY OWN experiences and feel once people excel more at the game more and more people will find ways as well.

First off, a team can win many matches by less than 1%, and the other team can win fewer by 30%. So by adding them up, the team who scored less wins overall but with more percentage, they still win.

By itself it's not that bad, however people seem to think it HAS to be Bo3 or whatever

I never said we should ban bubble. I meant that 4 bubbles is more useful than 4 inkstrikes.

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
First off, a team can win many matches by less than 1%, and the other team can win fewer by 30%. So by adding them up, the team who scored less wins overall but with more percentage, they still win.

By itself it's not that bad, however people seem to think it HAS to be Bo3 or whatever

I never said we should ban bubble. I meant that 4 bubbles is more useful than 4 inkstrikes.
I see I see. While I do like that idea I feel like its unnecessary. Ofc its utimately up to the community to decide as a whole in the end. While a lot of people have suggested Bo3. I personally have been advocating for Bo7 or more. The games are short and I feel like they warrant more games in a single tournament match.

As far as bubble still gos I still feel that at team choosing 4 bubblers is still giving up something whether its gun strength, sub weapon, or just having another ability entirely.

Last edited:

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
I see I see. While I do like that idea I feel like its unnecessary. Ofc its utimately up to the community to decide as a whole in the end. While a lot of people have suggested Bo3. I personally have been advocating for Bo7 or more. The games are short and I feel like they warrant more games in a single tournament match.

As far as bubble still gos I still feel that at team choosing 4 bubblers is still giving up something whether its gun strength, sub weapon, or just having another ability entirely.
If people aren't lazy they should go overall % instead of Bo3. It makes more sense than to lose by 0.1. While I obviously can't force this upon the community if people are willing to use their calculators it should be the one that is used.

Oh and Bo3 is not an option, gathering two teams of 4 people takes way too much time and doing a war in 10 minutes doesn't pay off. The actual war should last longer than preparing for it so I can't see it being less than Bo7. This is not Smash where it's only you and an opponent, it's 8 people

Kraken is also pretty op, and there's inkstrike for Splat Zones. Speaking of I hate Splat Zones as a competitive mode, it just feels too cramped up and people are just spamming stuff without there being much thought process

swifT

NNID
swiftea
If people aren't lazy they should go overall % instead of Bo3. It makes more sense than to lose by 0.1. While I obviously can't force this upon the community if people are willing to use their calculators it should be the one that is used.

Oh and Bo3 is not an option, gathering two teams of 4 people takes way too much time and doing a war in 10 minutes doesn't pay off. The actual war should last longer than preparing for it so I can't see it being less than Bo7. This is not Smash where it's only you and an opponent, it's 8 people

Kraken is also pretty op, and there's inkstrike for Splat Zones. Speaking of I hate Splat Zones as a competitive mode, it just feels too cramped up and people are just spamming stuff without there being much thought process
In regards to your last statement while I do feel the kraken is strong it is certainly not op. I personally have found that the kraken has been fairly easy to kite and avoid. Maybe that's just my experiences or others just being bad with their special. As far as Splat Zones I feel that it still has good competitive potential and we should wait to judge it until parties are introduced. Saying that you can just spam things while true I feel that if more maps similar to how Blackbelly Skatepark operates in this game mode (with two zones) are introduced the gamemode could see more potential. As far as inkstrikes go yes they are extremely strong in this mode and easily swing momentum making them high priority. I do however feel that with an organized team dealing with inkstrikes will become easier.

Ultramus

Pro Squid
I cannot even fathom the mentality of using percentage total as a deciding factor. The best of X is a much, much better indicator of which team is overall better. A team should be capable of winning more maps out of X maps then just practicing one map to get a landslide victory and just trying to mitigate damage on the others. But as I've said earlier, I am against allowing duplicate loadouts on a team, I want to see the variety of weapons that splatoon offers being utilized, not just a team of 4 Jr.s or 4 Tentatek splattershots or whatever. I personally like forcing people to use different setups, and again even possibly forcing a slot dedicated to roller/charger. An esport can only survive when it presents entertaining matches, if anyone has ever watched competitive Cod:MW2 it's hilariously bad, people all using the same gun to shoot blindly into spawn points, awful entertainment value. Compare that with Mobas like LoL and HoTS that generally have differing compositions every match, even if both teams are selecting from a pool of high tier champions, that it keeps it feeling fresh and interesting, and to me that makes a more entertaining viewer experience.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
In regards to your last statement while I do feel the kraken is strong it is certainly not op. I personally have found that the kraken has been fairly easy to kite and avoid. Maybe that's just my experiences or others just being bad with their special. As far as Splat Zones I feel that it still has good competitive potential and we should wait to judge it until parties are introduced. Saying that you can just spam things while true I feel that if more maps similar to how Blackbelly Skatepark operates in this game mode (with two zones) are introduced the gamemode could see more potential. As far as inkstrikes go yes they are extremely strong in this mode and easily swing momentum making them high priority. I do however feel that with an organized team dealing with inkstrikes will become easier.
Every special can be avoided, it's all about timing and pushing your opponents into a corner and stuff. It's harder to avoid than inkstrike or killer wail arguable and also the kraken is good because it can be used defensively and offensively.

And there's 1 stage with two splat zones, so you're implying we can get more of them by August, and while I don't doubt that, most stages will have 1.
And more like: with an organised team you can get more inkstrikes a lot faster. Seriously that thing is stupidly good in Splat Zones

AB80

Inkling
NNID
WCe-AB80
I know I'm just repeating what many others have said, but turf war is such an integral and unique part of what makes Splatoon, Splatoon. It NEEDS to be considered the marquee competitive game type. At this point, it requires the most planning, strategy, and communication. It would be ridiculous if it wasn't.

I'm a big fan of the percentage/bp totaling idea for competitive play, but when thinking about it for a while, you should not only want what's fair, but what's going to be most exciting/entriguing if you want this community to grow. The answer to that: best of 7 series. Why? Each round is extremely significant regardless of differential in area covered. We can watch the players celebrate each round victory and understand why instead of possibly watching teams win rounds but confused as to why there's no emotion or what the score is after a round.

Make it accessible, easy to understand, all on the line every round.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
I cannot even fathom the mentality of using percentage total as a deciding factor. The best of X is a much, much better indicator of which team is overall better. A team should be capable of winning more maps out of X maps then just practicing one map to get a landslide victory and just trying to mitigate damage on the others. But as I've said earlier, I am against allowing duplicate loadouts on a team, I want to see the variety of weapons that splatoon offers being utilized, not just a team of 4 Jr.s or 4 Tentatek splattershots or whatever. I personally like forcing people to use different setups, and again even possibly forcing a slot dedicated to roller/charger. An esport can only survive when it presents entertaining matches, if anyone has ever watched competitive Cod:MW2 it's hilariously bad, people all using the same gun to shoot blindly into spawn points, awful entertainment value. Compare that with Mobas like LoL and HoTS that generally have differing compositions every match, even if both teams are selecting from a pool of high tier champions, that it keeps it feeling fresh and interesting, and to me that makes a more entertaining viewer experience.
It is a terrible indicator of skill. Winning two matches by like 1% means you clutched it out with some luck, while winning a match with 20-30% means you had strategy and teamwork. Also you seem to imply that Splatoon is going to have some huge esport viewership. I can tell you right now that's not going to happen

Also how does one "practise" a map, if you can get oblitherated on one map and then barely win on the others you don't deserve to win

I know I'm just repeating what many others have said, but turf war is such an integral and unique part of what makes Splatoon, Splatoon. It NEEDS to be considered the marquee competitive game type. At this point, it requires the most planning, strategy, and communication. It would be ridiculous if it wasn't.

I'm a big fan of the percentage/bp totaling idea for competitive play, but when thinking about it for a while, you should not only want what's fair, but what's going to be most exciting/entriguing if you want this community to grow. The answer to that: best of 7 series. Why? Each round is extremely significant regardless of differential in area covered. We can watch the players celebrate each round victory and understand why instead of possibly watching teams win rounds but confused as to why there's no emotion or what the score is after a round.

Make it accessible, easy to understand, all on the line every round.
I fail to see how using a calculator is difficult, this was how Mario Kart is played and nobody has any problems. And making it Bo7 instead of overall% is only going to make it more boring

Edit: It also encourages people to fight till the end, rather than giving up since they know they won't win anyway

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I'm uncertain if Turf War is a good mode to use for competitive to begin with. It's not really a balanced mode; one team can dominate the entire match up until the last 30 seconds, only for the other team to catch the most ridiculous of lucky breaks and make a comeback. It also doesn't really focus much on strategy, as it's all about inking the turf, and as such, kills aren't nearly as important as they should be -- not that they don't matter, they just lack the impact one would expect them to.

If Turf War is to be used, I think it should be to count up the collective K/D ratio at the end in a best 2 out of 3, that way it's much more strategic and the kills will actually have a proper weight.
If you want to play competitive shooter games where kills matter, CS:GO, Halo, CoD, and Battlefield are the games for you, it makes absolutely zero sense to take the fundamental piece of what makes splatoon splatoon and change it. Turf wars isn't meant to be about kills, its about the amount of territory your team has covered in an assigned color. And while miraculous comebacks are frustrating/awesome. It doesn't mean the mode is not balanced, the fact teams can make comebacks does mean its balanced, that there is always a chance for a team to turn it around. Does it always happen? No but that is what makes it thrilling. Splatzone on the other hand is not balanced. Its much easier to win while ahead than win from behind on that mode. I think in my first match the other team had control of the zone for all of 5 seconds after we had held it for close to 50 seconds then held it for the remainder of our timer + penalty time

Are they actually that short? They seem so long to me for some reason. My apologies for miss information. Either way I do agree that best of 7 is the best option after playing more and looking up other rule sets to compare to.
Yes they are, and I have a confession to make, I misspoke when I said the maximum time for CS:GO. The amount of time is correct, the way to get to it is not. To get to 2:49 in a match, the CTs would have to have failed in defusing the bomb after the bomb is planted at the last second of the game clock. And it probably feels longer because there is a lot of posturing, rotations and such by both sides throughout the match, very rarely will you see a team go leeorying into a site without having an advantage of some sort be it vision or by being up in players.

Last edited:

AB80

Inkling
NNID
WCe-AB80
I fail to see how using a calculator is difficult, this was how Mario Kart is played and nobody has any problems. And making it Bo7 instead of overall% is only going to make it more boring

Edit: It also encourages people to fight till the end, rather than giving up since they know they won't win anyway
Ah, Mario Kart.. I love Mario Kart..
But do you know WHY no one has a problem with it?

BECAUSE NO ONE WATCHES IT.
BECAUSE NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT.
Do you want Splatoon to follow suit?

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I'm not sure why people would want to apply Mario Kart's rules to Splatoon's.

One's a racing game. One's a 4v4 shooter. I don't see the correlation.

I think a lot of you are really overcomplicating this issue.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
It is a terrible indicator of skill. Winning two matches by like 1% means you clutched it out with some luck, while winning a match with 20-30% means you had strategy and teamwork. Also you seem to imply that Splatoon is going to have some huge esport viewership. I can tell you right now that's not going to happen

Also how does one "practise" a map, if you can get oblitherated on one map and then barely win on the others you don't deserve to win
If Best of ___ is terrible indicator of skill, then why do so many "esports" use this format when it comes to tournaments? I'll tell you why, because it is an indicator of skill. Best of Ones are terrible because it promotes the use of cheesy strats to outplay teams that are better than them. Also how can you firmly say something isn't going to happen when this game has just started up? It took months if not more for games to develop a following that have huge followings for tournaments.

Also how does getting obliterated on just one map mean you don't deserve to win a match if you "barely" win on two other maps? In CS:GO there are several teams that have a specific map they are extremely proficient playing on and others they're not good at. I've seen teams lose on Nuke 16-8 and then come back on inferno and cache and win 16-10 16-12 on those maps

I fail to see how using a calculator is difficult, this was how Mario Kart is played and nobody has any problems.
I fail to see how using a calculator has anything to do with playing mario kart.
And making it Bo7 instead of _____ is only going to make it more boring
Said nobody ever when deciding on the format for tournaments for games like Warcraft 3, WoW, Starcraft: Broodwar, Starcraft 2, Dota, Dota2, HoN, League of Legends, Counter Strike, Quake, Hearthstone, etc.

I hope you get the point, all these games very in time length and the amount of action they have and yet fans of these games have not once complained about how long a series ends up being.

I've watched a lot of tournaments for profession esports, and only a few games allow for teams to surrender before a game runs out, all the others do not and in those very rarely have I seen a team act like they've given up and not going to try and comeback to win.

JJ the Splattershotter

Squid Eater Captain
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
If you want to play competitive shooter games where kills matter, CS:GO, Halo, CoD, and Battlefield are the games for you, it makes absolutely zero sense to take the fundamental piece of what makes splatoon splatoon and change it. Turf wars isn't meant to be about kills, its about the amount of territory your team has covered in an assigned color.
Yeah, and Smash was designed to be anti-competitive and played with 4 players & items on. What's your point?

And while miraculous comebacks are frustrating/awesome. It doesn't mean the mode is not balanced, the fact teams can make comebacks does mean its balanced, that there is always a chance for a team to turn it around. Does it always happen? No but that is what makes it thrilling. Splatzone on the other hand is not balanced. Its much easier to win while ahead than win from behind on that mode. I think in my first match the other team had control of the zone for all of 5 seconds after we had held it for close to 50 seconds then held it for the remainder of our timer + penalty time
Nope, because Splat Zones has a comeback mechanic that increases the amount of time the opposing team has to go through before getting a knockout. This makes it to where comebacks require legitimate skill & strategy as opposed to largely luck (Turf War), which makes them actually rewarding -- and they're not super hard to pull off like you're making them out to be; they just require careful planning and, yes, kills. For example, I recently played a game where my team came back from the opponent team only having 1 mark left before a knockout (I say "mark" because the knockout timers don't count down by seconds, but, in fact, faster), and we had something like 63 marks plus whatever was added on from them previously taking control over us. I've also had similar events happen with the other team.

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
Mario kart's rule set really doesn't apply to a shooter at all. A big problem with the mario kart rules is that it would have to exclude all the other game modes (not just splat zones). We have no idea what rain maker and tower control are going to be like in a competitive setting and I think tower control was even coming out before the august update. I think we should model our rule set on competitive shooters like CoD or Halo because they use multiple game modes and have been tried and tested for competitive shooters throughout their life span. Having multiple game modes in one rule set means that the players have to be versatile. Ex: if one team absolutely destroys at turf war but isn't any good at the other modes, they're not going to win against a well rounded team, which is good because it means that the winning team has to be good at splatoon as a whole, not just good at turf war. An unbalanced team does not deserve to win a match.

Also, I feel like these rules wouldn't do much better at differentiating skill anyway, because if a close match happens, it's not because the winning team didn't want to capture more turf, it's because the other team was nearly equal competition, so close matches are going to happen either way. In a situation like this the mario kart rule set doesn't really do anything different to a normal rule set, the team that won still just clutched it out. If a team is much better than the other they will win by a bigger margin, no matter which rule set we choose.

So, because of this I think we should stick with a best of 5 or 7, because they allow for multiple game modes while still indicating skill just as well.

Last edited:

swifT

NNID
swiftea
Mario kart's rule set really doesn't apply to a shooter at all. A big problem with the mario kart rules is that it would have to exclude all the other game modes (not just splat zones) we have no idea what rain maker and tower control are going to be like in a competitive setting and I think tower control was even coming out before the august update. I think we should model our rule set on competitive shooters like CoD or Halo because they use multiple game modes and have been tried and tested for competitive shooters throughout their life span. Having multiple game modes in one rule set means that the players have to be versatile. Ex: if one team absolutely destroys at turf war but isn't any good at the other modes, they're not going to win against a well rounded team, which is good because it means that the winning team has to be good at splatoon as a whole, not just good at turf war. An unbalanced team does not deserve to win a match.

Also, I feel like these rules wouldn't do much better at differentiating skill anyway, because if a close match happens, it's not because the winning team didn't want to capture more turf, it's because the other team was nearly equal competition, so close matches are going to happen either way. In a situation like this the mario kart rule set doesn't really do anything different to a normal rule set, the team that won still just clutched it out. If a team is much better than the other they will win by a bigger margin, no matter which rule set we choose.

So, because of this I think we should stick with a best of 5 or 7, because they allow for multiple game modes while still indicating skill just as well.
Whisp3r hit the nail on the head once again, I agree completely. I feel like some people are too hung up on trying to come up with something more unique for the game in terms of ruleset, but why do that when we have excellent models already to take from and use. Also not to mention the fact that Splatoons uniqueness is in its gameplay in general. Best of 7 will easily show the better team as well as give teams the ability to come back in a set. Not to mention giving access to having all gamemodes played.

Last edited:

Ultramus

Pro Squid
Thank you everyone who agrees with me, I do not want to see a set go to a team that won 1 match by 12% and lose 3 by 2%, it is much easier to win on one map once, than it is to win on multiple maps, plain and simple. A better team is the team that wins more maps, not the team that lucks out and has 1 singular good match. A Best of X has been the hallmark of tournaments for decades as has been stated, and it is still a perfectly respectable metric, especially in sports. I am fine with using percentage differential to decide tie breaks in a round robin format or group stage, similar to how soccer tournaments use goal differential. I refuse to see a team advance when they win fewer matches than their opponents, that is possibly the most asinine suggestion I have seen only matches by the artificially inflated k/d influence, to be blunt.

Honestly surprised no one has commented on my draft idea, with teams being forced to select from available load outs with no dulicates, or selecting from a pool of weapons that may include a few duplicates, but not too many. For a 4v4 it would go team A picks 1 loadout out of the pool, then team B picks one, so on and so forth, how Mobas/WoW arena works(IIRC on this one). After all, this game definitely is a class based shooter, so treating it more similarly to other class based shooters makes more sense personally then treating like symmetric shooters ie: halo/quake/CoD. Tournament organizers can set which load outs are available from the outset, this prevents teams coming in with an unheard of strategy and blowing everyone else out of the water. It sounds cool until you see it in action, many a tournament of sc2 was ruined by the reveal of a strategy that would end up getting nerfed later, but that dominated the first tournament that it was premiered in. HotS does this with the new champions, I think they ban the new heroes for the first week at least while people determine whether they are balanced or not. Again, I understand from a player side of things you want to come up with your own strategies and gear combinations, but that's honestly what the normal online is for, there needs to be some checks and balances in place, I'm not saying too many, mind you, just some. I think the scene will be better for it as long as we exercise discretion and avoid knee jerk reactions, which unfortunately is the modus operandi of esports but I think it could work.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
If Best of ___ is terrible indicator of skill, then why do so many "esports" use this format when it comes to tournaments? I'll tell you why, because it is an indicator of skill. Best of Ones are terrible because it promotes the use of cheesy strats to outplay teams that are better than them. Also how can you firmly say something isn't going to happen when this game has just started up? It took months if not more for games to develop a following that have huge followings for tournaments.
Do you seriously need to be explained why fighting games have to use Bo3? Splatoon is not the average "esport" game. And this is not Mario Kart that uses this system, imagine if in a soccer game a team won by 4 goals first round and during the second round they lost by 1, do you think a tie is fair?

Splatoon in no way shape or form is becoming an esport, end of story.

I fail to see how using a calculator has anything to do with playing mario kart.
You add up the points, you know, 15+8=23. I honestly think people don't want this ruleset because they're too lazy or afraid of the horrible thing known as change

I'm not sure why people would want to apply Mario Kart's rules to Splatoon's.

One's a racing game. One's a 4v4 shooter. I don't see the correlation.

I think a lot of you are really overcomplicating this issue.
Good thing Splatoon is such a traditional, conservative ol skull shooter amirite? And this is not "overcomplicating" the issue, using a calculator is not hard at all, it makes for a more balanced and less luck based game

Mario kart's rule set really doesn't apply to a shooter at all. A big problem with the mario kart rules is that it would have to exclude all the other game modes (not just splat zones). We have no idea what rain maker and tower control are going to be like in a competitive setting and I think tower control was even coming out before the august update. I think we should model our rule set on competitive shooters like CoD or Halo because they use multiple game modes and have been tried and tested for competitive shooters throughout their life span. Having multiple game modes in one rule set means that the players have to be versatile. Ex: if one team absolutely destroys at turf war but isn't any good at the other modes, they're not going to win against a well rounded team, which is good because it means that the winning team has to be good at splatoon as a whole, not just good at turf war. An unbalanced team does not deserve to win a match.

This is something I have to agree with, if the community wants to do multiple modes in a clan/squad/guild war then doing a Bo3/5/7 is pretty much the only option. As I do not have the ability to predict the future I just said what I think the ruleset should be right now

ShneeOscar

Inkling
So the main debates seem to be:
Splat Zones vs. Turf War
Best of X vs Percentage
Weapon restrictions?

I think we should wait for a while to decide if SZ or TW is better.
TW is the signature mode, but SZ seems to be more endorsed by Nintendo.

I think we should do percentage/BP to score. Play 5 games. Add up the percentages. How many times have you lost by just 0.6% in Turf war. Exactly.

I personally think that limiting it to of of each weapon per team. would work. You can still have like the .52 gallon and the .52 Gallon Deco on a team, just no two Decos. Maybe limit it to one roller and one charger.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
So the main debates seem to be:
Splat Zones vs. Turf War
Best of X vs Percentage
Weapon restrictions?

I think we should wait for a while to decide if SZ or TW is better.
TW is the signature mode, but SZ seems to be more endorsed by Nintendo.

I think we should do percentage/BP to score. Play 5 games. Add up the percentages. How many times have you lost by just 0.6% in Turf war. Exactly.

I personally think that limiting it to of of each weapon per team. would work. You can still have like the .52 gallon and the .52 Gallon Deco on a team, just no two Decos. Maybe limit it to one roller and one charger.
I personally much rather play Turf War since it uses more of the maps than just a small portion, but we'll see how the other modes play out

I don't think we should do any sort of limiting right away, maybe after we see something is indeed overpowered we can put some limitations

Ah, Mario Kart.. I love Mario Kart..
But do you know WHY no one has a problem with it?

BECAUSE NO ONE WATCHES IT.
BECAUSE NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT.
Do you want Splatoon to follow suit?
Ughhh... Mario Kart Wii is still being supported by the community till this day, it outsold Brawl and the most popular Youtube channels get tons of views etc

Ultramus

Pro Squid
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, in all competitive games, a Best of X is unanimously the best format. Every single map is weighted exactly the same in a set as any other. In a soccer tournament, the only time goal differential is included is in group stage and ONLY when match scores are tied. Seriously, I am astounded by anyone thinking that a team that LOSES MORE MATCHES THAN IT WINS should move on, especially with how volatile turf wars can be. If you win a match by 5%, and lose 2 matches by 0.1%, you do not deserve to move on. Doing it by percentage would encourage really cheap play, and it would take weight AWAY from matches, that is exactly the OPPOSITE of what we want. How idiotic would it be if Map 1 team A gets a really nice victory by 15%+, Team B now has an insurmountable wall to climb to come back even if they win the remaining 2 maps(In a hypothetical Bo3) You are encouraging teams to not necessarily play to win every match, but to try and win ONE match by a significant margin. That is plain and simple the worst idea I've ever seen.

And Splatoon has everything it needs to be a great E-sport, it is a fun, versatile, entertaining game to both play and watch, and more than that Splatoon has short matches with high tension the whole way through. Honestly it has more positives to it being an E-sport than a lot of games that try to shoehorn themselves into that market. Just because it's cutesy and Nintendo doesn't mean it isn't suited for E-Sports, and if you really feel that way, go ahead and get out of the thread specifically talking about tournament rules and setups, you aren't doing us any favors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom