Tournament Ruleset Ideas

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
But if both are used, how will we decide which one is used?
My personal idea was that if we allow for a pick and ban phase for stages the team that has current stage pick would also have gamemode pick.

there is also the idea that each map could be paired with a gamemode similiar to how CoD tournaments decide which maps are appropriate for which mode

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
Right now, I like both Turf Wars and Splat Zone for a ruleset. Very different game modes that rely on very different skills.
My personal idea was that if we allow for a pick and ban phase for stages the team that has current stage pick would also have gamemode pick.

there is also the idea that each map could be paired with a gamemode similiar to how CoD tournaments decide which maps are appropriate for which mode
I like the idea of pairing gamemodes with stages and creating either a veto system or ban/striking system. Create maybe an 11+ gametype rotation and have each team veto maps until we are down to the certain number of required maps for the series. Or we could attempt the counterpick system

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I wouldn't mind seeing this happen either when all the maps and modes come out, and then run a test period as to see what is balanced on certain maps and what isn't. "Like does map A give the north side an unfair advantage over the team on the south spawn in this mode?"

You do not understand what the word fair means.
I actually do know what fair means, you however do not if you want to have a rule set that promotes toxic behavior and punishes teams for not being good on specific maps compared to their opponents.

Well, not if you know you're going to lose
some might take a blowout loss/losing by .1% differently than others, can only say form me either way it'd be pretty devastating

swifT

NNID
swiftea
As it stands I feel like Splatoon would be headed in a direction where any maps with multiple Splat Zones will be used for Splat Zones and any map with only one will be used for Turf War. That is the easiest way I see to divide it atm, but as the game gets more maps and more modes it may become more in depth and difficult then that.

Mayday

NNID
MaydayBelieves
As it stands I feel like Splatoon would be headed in a direction where any maps with multiple Splat Zones will be used for Splat Zones and any map with only one will be used for Turf War. That is the easiest way I see to divide it atm, but as the game gets more maps and more modes it may become more in depth and difficult then that.
That could work. I mean who knows what is going to happen with other game modes and maps.

Right now I would say the rotation for a bo7 series would go:

Splat Zone -> Turf War -> Splat Zone -> Turf War -> Splat Zone -> Turf War -> Splat Zone

for simplicity.

Mayday

NNID
MaydayBelieves
I also don't like Bo3 at all for Splatoon. Early bracket play should be Bo5. Semis and up - Bo7.

PhoenixRiku

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SweeetPR
Too be honest seems this game lends itself to a very Call of Duty esque competitive ruleset. By that I mean Splatzone is competitively healthy/viable on X, X, and X maps so they are in the rotation and Turf war works for X, X, and X. etc. with all the other game modes. Maybe with a mix of Counter Strike where you can counterpick instead of just having maps basically randomly selected for a series.

Mayday

NNID
MaydayBelieves
Too be honest seems this game lends itself to a very Call of Duty esque competitive ruleset. By that I mean Splatzone is competitively healthy/viable on X, X, and X maps so they are in the rotation and Turf war works for X, X, and X. etc. with all the other game modes. Maybe with a mix of Counter Strike where you can counterpick instead of just having maps basically randomly selected for a series.
I really do like having the CS:GO veto system instead of set maps to play every series. Always a fan of having some kind of CP system in place.

swifT

NNID
swiftea
Alright now that I'm finsihed leveling some gear, and am not bouncing back and forth between game and forum. I've taken the time to write up my current ideal Official Tournament Ruleset with only Turf War and Splat Zone available.

Tournament Format (Maps and Gamemodes not paired)

• Gamemodes Available: Turf War, Splat Zones
  • Weapons Available: All Weapons, Specials, and Subs
  • Stages Available: All Stages
  • Best of 7 throughout the entire tournament.
  • Pick and Ban Order: Team 1 Ban, Team 2 Ban, Team 1 Ban, Team 2 Ban, Team 1 Map and Gamemode Pick.
  • Loser of previous match gets pick of map and gamemode for next game.
  • For online tournaments if a DC occurs within the first 30 seconds of the match it should be restarted. Any time after the game must be played.

If we wanted to do something such as pairing maps to game modes it could possibly go something like this.

Tournament Format (Maps paired with Gamemodes)

• Best of 7 throughout entire bracket
  • Gamemode Order: Turf War, Splat Zones, Turf War, Splat Zones, Turf War, Splat Zones, Random/Loser Pick
  • Pick and Ban Order: Team 1 Ban, Team 2 Ban, Team 1 Ban, Team 2 Ban, Team 1 Map and Gamemode Pick.
  • Loser of previous game gets pick of map and gamemode for next game.
  • For online tournaments if a DC occurs within the first 30 seconds of the match it should be restarted. Any time after the game must be played.
EDIT: Included DC rules for online tournaments.

Last edited:

MasterE

Inkling
Is anyone planning to have tournaments beore august(when parties are available ). If not we'll have more modes to play by the time we play competitively a lot of these multiple mode rotations may have to change.

swifT

NNID
swiftea
Is anyone planning to have tournaments beore august(when parties are available ). If not we'll have more modes to play by the time we play competitively a lot of these multiple mode rotations may have to change.
I'm sure that if party play is implemented before august then there will be at least one community organized tournament in order to test the waters, and we shall cross that sea when it arrives as far as more gamemodes are concerened.

Mayday

NNID
MaydayBelieves
Tournaments aren't really viable until then...unless we get a LAN option before August. So yes, a lot of this is going to change before August.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Alright now that I'm finsihed leveling some gear, and am not bouncing back and forth between game and forum. I've taken the time to write up my current ideal Official Tournament Ruleset with only Turf War and Splat Zone available.

Tournament Format (Maps and Gamemodes not paired)

• Best of 7 throughout the entire tournament.
  • Loser of previous match gets pick of map and gamemode for next game.

If we wanted to do something such as pairing maps to game modes it could possibly go something like this.

Tournament Format (Maps paired with Gamemodes)

• Best of 7 throughout entire bracket
  • Gamemode Order: Turf War, Splat Zones, Turf War, Splat Zones, Turf War, Splat Zones, Random/Loser Pick
  • Loser of previous game gets pick of map and gamemode for next game.
Until august this would work for me minus having teams ban 2 maps each leaving 2 to pick from. I'd Say ban 1 each and leave them the 4 left to pick from for the first 4 games. Like team A picks the map for game 1 then team B picks the mode for games 2 and 3 then the map that wasn't picked for the first 3 becomes the map for game 4 and then if it goes to a game 5 a coin flip is held to decide which of the 2 maps that were banned will be used. This can later be changed in august when they add even more maps that so team A can pick the map for game 4 and then the map for game 5 if that is reached will be selected at random from the maps that were not banned or picked previously. That way team A doesn't get an advantage of having the map they want for 3 games while team b only picks 2 maps

Ultramus

Pro Squid
As far as preliminary rule sets go, I think that looks pretty ok. I would however say we have to somehow deal with inkstrikes, not much, maybe just say no more than 2 per team? Would that be reasonable for both game modes?

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
Were tower control and rainmaker supposed to be out before august? Because if so we shouldn't forget about those modes.
For a BO7 we should do something like this (if we decide to go with the set order and not pick/ban:

turf war - splat zones - tower control - rainmaker - random - random - random

The reason the last 3 games are random is because they are not guaranteed to be played, so having them as a set mode would mean that their would be a bias towards some game modes if the series doesn't go the full 7 games. The random selection would have to happen before the map pick.
The picking and banning system would also work well. I would be fine with either of those rule sets.
I do like the idea of having a CS:GO type system where all the maps for the series are decided at the start but the counter pick system is good too.

Wobz

Inkling
NNID
WobzGames
As far as preliminary rule sets go, I think that looks pretty ok. I would however say we have to somehow deal with inkstrikes, not much, maybe just say no more than 2 per team? Would that be reasonable for both game modes?
For splat zones I can agree, (maybe only 1 ink strike, idk) but for turf war if a team has 3 or 4 ink strikes they are sacrificing the advantages they can get with other supers

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
Were tower control and rainmaker supposed to be out before august? Because if so we shouldn't forget about those modes.
For a BO7 we should do something like this (if we decide to go with the set order and not pick/ban:

turf war - splat zones - tower control - rainmaker - random - random - random

The reason the last 3 games are random is because they are not guaranteed to be played, so having them as a set mode would mean that their would be a bias towards some game modes if the series doesn't go the full 7 games. The random selection would have to happen before the map pick.
The picking and banning system would also work well. I would be fine with either of those rule sets.
I do like the idea of having a CS:GO type system where all the maps for the series are decided at the start but the counter pick system is good too.
I personally stand by only having one game mode be the tournament mode but I would be fine with two max. Too many game modes makes for a wacky competitive setting and I don't think that's the best way to go.

My personal choice would be Splat Zones and then the game mode that seems to be the second most competitive which is currently Turf War as it is the only other game mode currently released.

swifT

NNID
swiftea
For now I feel like we should wait and see how the game mode is with party play. I could easily see a limitation on inkstrikes happening if needed but i feel like some Splat Zones maps could easily call for something a bit more creative then 4 inkstrike setups.

I personally stand by only having one game mode be the tournament mode but I would be fine with two max. Too many game modes makes for a wacky competitive setting and I don't think that's the best way to go.

My personal choice would be Splat Zones and then the game mode that seems to be the second most competitive which is currently Turf War as it is the only other game mode currently released.
Hmmmmm I personally feel like having multiple game modes could only make the tournament setting more interesting especially after watching other competitive scenes. For now until we have those other gamemodes is hard to tell regardless what you say could easily happen in the long run, and I'm sure most people would be okay with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom