• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tournament Ruleset Ideas

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
While I agree we should wait and see, I mean I could be totally wrong about inkstrikes but from what I've seen in the mode while playing and watched people stream, Inkstrike is one of those top 3 specials to have for that mode, the others being bubbler and kraken
That is completely true. Those are almost certainly the strongest specials in Splat Zones atm. I personally just feel like with party paly those things will be much easier to play around and prepare for. Regardless only time will truly tell.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
This is probably my favourite thing you said so far. Excuse you? You're saying it's unbalanced when a team loses the first match is behind the team that wins the match? And saying it's unbalanced that they have to outscore the other team to get ahead? Clearly I'm the one that doesn't know what balance means
Yes I'm saying that because if you win say 80% to 15% you now have to win by more than 65% to advance to the next round. And some maps make it rather difficult to win by that much like walleye and blue fin, They're so small and rather straight forward that a team can end up not playing to win but instead playing not to lose by a large amount. That leads to a toxic/un-competitive play style that makes it hard for the other team to come back from. Best of 3 avoids this problem and makes both teams play for the win instead of playing not to lose.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
Yes I'm saying that because if you win say 80% to 15% you now have to win by more than 65% to advance to the next round. And some maps make it rather difficult to win by that much like walleye and blue fin, They're so small and rather straight forward that a team can end up not playing to win but instead playing not to lose by a large amount. That leads to a toxic/un-competitive play style that makes it hard for the other team to come back from. Best of 3 avoids this problem and makes both teams play for the win instead of playing not to lose.
They don't need to score 65% or more the next round, it's gonna be more than just 2 rounds you know. You can always "counterpick" to go to the other stages though or whatever, plus you can win by a lot in any stage. Playing "not to lose" is not toxic. They shouldn't have been behind so much as they can just afford to spam ink and do stupid stuff in the first place. Besides, you can do cheap stuff in any game so this isn't really an argument

Ultramus

Pro Squid
The counter to inkstrikes in splat zones is having ink strikes on your team, that's pretty much it haha, I feel like I see the Jet Squelcher more than I ever did in Turf War. In it's current iteration I don't think splat zones lead themselves to competitive play, too swing one way or the other right now.

Ultramus

Pro Squid
They don't need to score 65% or more the next round, it's gonna be more than just 2 rounds you know. You can always "counterpick" to go to the other stages though or whatever, plus you can win by a lot in any stage. Playing "not to lose" is not toxic. They shouldn't have been behind so much as they can just afford to spam ink and do stupid stuff in the first place. Besides, you can do cheap stuff in any game so this isn't really an argument
You're wrong, what you are doing is putting unequal weight on the first match for momentum, or putting significantly more weight on maps that have a higher variance. I don't see how you could possibly think percentage is a good idea. Match score in a series will always be the best indicator of skill and best format for tournaments.

swifT

NNID
swiftea
You're wrong, what you are doing is putting unequal weight on the first match for momentum, or putting significantly more weight on maps that have a higher variance. I don't see how you could possibly think percentage is a good idea. Match score in a series will always be the best indicator of skill and best format for tournaments.
These are my thoughts exactly. I don't see percentage based ever being viable over a standard BoX. Considering most people I've seen at least seem to be thinking that a best of 5 or 7 will be ideal as the standard set I feel liek both teams will have equal opportunity to prove themselves and win matches making for an exciting game to watch, and if we include both gamemodes that will be even better.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
I think I said everything that needs to be said at this point so I don't feel like repeating myself. I imagine nintendo will put in some mode where after some matches this team is decided as the victor so that's what everyone will use. Enjoy losing by 0.1%, then again if you played against me it would be more like 30% #trashtalk

also lol@splatoon tournaments, just the wording makes it visible you think this is smash bros

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
You clearly didn't read the full thing when talking about "playing not to lose." PLAYING NOT TO LOSE BY A LARGE PERCENTAGE is in fact rather toxic and anti-competitive and leads to questions of the integrity of the game if the rules allow and even promote the play style by the use of going off % and not by winning the map. So you're saying that its the teams fault for ultimately losing a match because they weren't able to score more points in wins than their opponents did in their wins? That's rather asinine to say, as I said in a previous comment, teams in cs:go have maps where they're really good at with like 80% win rates on and maps they're not very good at, punishing a team for scoring poorly on a map they're not as good at compared to the other team would make anyone question the integrity of the people that came up with the rule set.

For example, it's the Grand Finals of the very first splatoon tournament, and they play 4 maps, And the first 3 maps are really close but team A barely sneaks by winning all 3 maps by 5% to give them a 15% advantage going into game 4. Team B picks a map that they're really good on and team A is rather terrible at and team B wins by 40% to win the championship. How is that fair at all to team A that won 3 out of the 4 maps? It isn't fair, and it also isn't fair if the order was the opposite and Team A won by 40% in game one and then sat back and played defensively for 3 straight maps and only losing by 10% on all 3 to win the match and the championship by 10%

swifT

NNID
swiftea
I think I said everything that needs to be said at this point so I don't feel like repeating myself. I imagine nintendo will put in some mode where after some matches this team is decided as the victor so that's what everyone will use. Enjoy losing by 0.1%, then again if you played against me it would be more like 30% #trashtalk

also lol@splatoon tournaments, just the wording makes it visible you think this is smash bros
I'm sorry, but what in the world are you saying. I have been understanding of your ideas for quite a bit now but I cant justify anything you're saying anymore.

I see no problem with losing by .1% if anything that game you played has been an exciting intense one where both teams have been battling it out trying their hardest to win. The amount of emotion that would come out of a team that barely won would be immaculate and very "hype" for the community or fans. Yes this is all to be considered in the future and for now with the community still growing it is hard to say, but that is my personal feeling on the subject.

And saying that the "wording" makes it sound like someone considers this game like its smash bros is completely blasphemous. Every game thats has tournaments calls them tournaments what would make Splatoon any different. I'm starting to doubt whether you personally want Splatoon to succeed as a competitive game if you're saying things like that and frankly that is unfortunate.

Edit: Vexens post above should also make things very clear as he makes an excellent point.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
For example, it's the Grand Finals of the very first splatoon tournament, and they play 4 maps, And the first 3 maps are really close but team A barely sneaks by winning all 3 maps by 5% to give them a 15% advantage going into game 4. Team B picks a map that they're really good on and team A is rather terrible at and team B wins by 40% to win the championship. How is that fair at all to team A that won 3 out of the 4 maps? It isn't fair, and it also isn't fair if the order was the opposite and Team A won by 40% in game one and then sat back and played defensively for 3 straight maps and only losing by 10% on all 3 to win the match and the championship by 10%
This is entirely subjective, for someone this is fair and for someone else it isn't. This is not an argument
I'm sorry, but what in the world are you saying. I have been understanding of your ideas for quite a bit now but I cant justify anything you're saying anymore.

I see no problem with losing by .1% if anything that game you played has been an exciting intense one where both teams have been battling it out trying their hardest to win. The amount of emotion that would come out of a team that barely won would be immaculate and very "hype" for the community or fans. Yes this is all to be considered in the future and for now with the community still growing it is hard to say, but that is my personal feeling on the subject.
Cool, for the other team it would be heartbreaking though.
And saying that the "wording" makes it sound like someone considers this game like its smash bros is completely blasphemous. Every game thats has tournaments calls them tournaments what would make Splatoon any different. I'm starting to doubt whether you personally want Splatoon to succeed as a competitive game if you're saying things like that and frankly that is unfortunate.

Edit: Vexens post above should also make things very clear as he makes an excellent point.
Because not every match of 4v4 has to be a tournament? Just saying. How is my opinion on what the rules should be somehow sabotaging the game's competitive side?

Ultramus

Pro Squid
Dude, you are literally making no sense, just leave this thread, you are no longer adding anything worthwhile to the discussion.

Edit: It would be more heartbreaking to get rolled the first match and not have any chance of coming back.

swifT

NNID
swiftea
This is entirely subjective, for someone this is fair and for someone else it isn't. This is not an argument

Because not every match of 4v4 has to be a tournament? Just saying. How is my opinion on what the rules should be somehow sabotaging the game's competitive side?
First off losses in a tournament will always be heartbreaking for the loser. Especially in grandfinals.

Second, please read the name of topic. Tournament Ruleset Ideas. Is that is your best reasoning against what I said? And no one said youre sabotaging do not put words where they don't belong. I simply said that your comments make you come off as very against any type of progression in the community, and are frankly becoming more and more irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
First off losses in a tournament will always be heartbreaking for the loser. Especially in grandfinals.

Second, please read the name of topic. Tournament Ruleset Ideas. Is that is your best reasoning against what I said? And no one said youre sabotaging do not put words where they don't belong. I simply said that your comments make you come off as very against any type of progression in the community, and are frankly becoming more and more irrelevant to the topic at hand.
There's a difference between getting completely destroyed in grand finals and losing by .1%, you replay the scenario over and over in your head thinking that pretty much any mistake made you lose

Also, fyi, I dropped the topic and moved on to talking about something else, I think it was about disconnects. Other people just brought it back up so I replied to them too.
The irony strikes me as I'm pretty much doing a one man campaign for this thing while almost everyone else wants BoX, and you're saying I'm against progression? If someone wants to talk about something else, go ahead.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Its not subjective at all, either way you look at it it isn't fair to the losing side because they won more maps yet lose because they didn't score a high enough percentage.

Well since wer'ei n the TOURNAMENT RULESET IDEA THREAD I would say every match of 4v4 would be in a tournament. You are clearly trolling now and it has become apparent that there is no point in responding to anything you say.
There's a difference between getting completely destroyed in grand finals and losing by .1%, you replay the scenario over and over in your head thinking that pretty much any mistake made you lose
The result maybe different but it will still be very heartbreaking to lose in the finals no matter what.

Scieric

Inkling
NNID
Player93
I have a question. Is it Turf Wars, or Splat Zones? Or if we are using both, how will we determine which is used?

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I have a question. Is it Turf Wars, or Splat Zones? Or if we are using both, how will we determine which is used?
Hasn't been decided but personally given the choice between the two currently available modes, I'd like it tournaments on turf wars. It may change after august when they add more maps/modes though

swifT

NNID
swiftea
There currently are advocates for using both gamemodes im competitive and also those for using only one. ATM it seems very even, but it still comes down to waiting for party play so that we may see how each gamemode plays when full partys are put against one another in an environment where they can strategize, and play in a more organized manner. I personally would like to see both used.

Scieric

Inkling
NNID
Player93
There currently are advocates for using both gamemodes im competitive and also those for using only one. ATM it seems very even, but it still comes down to waiting for party play so that we may see how each gamemode plays when full partys are put against one another in an environment where they can strategize, and play in a more organized manner. I personally would like to see both used.
But if both are used, how will we decide which one is used?

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
Its not subjective at all, either way you look at it it isn't fair to the losing side because they won more maps yet lose because they didn't score a high enough percentage.
You do not understand what the word fair means.
Well since wer'ei n the TOURNAMENT RULESET IDEA THREAD I would say every match of 4v4 would be in a tournament. You are clearly trolling now and it has become apparent that there is no point in responding to anything you say.
While yes, this thread is called tournament ruleset ideas, this just means it's the ruleset of a tournament, meaning even casual games can use this ruleset.
Also my comment about smash bros was not meant to be taken super seriously, relax dude, I'm not trying to start a war here or anything

The result maybe different but it will still be very heartbreaking to lose in the finals no matter what.
Well, not if you know you're going to lose

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
But if both are used, how will we decide which one is used?
I would say that it would be up to the tournament organizer to decide if they want just one mode used or allow teams when they pick the map they want to play on to select the mode as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom