• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tower Control Launches for Ranked Battle Tomorrow!

Get your suckers ready for a new kind of battle! This week, Ranked Battle gains an additional gametype. This new mode, dubbed "Tower Control," will rotate alongside Splat Zones in Ranked Battle.

"Once someone jumps onto the tower, it starts moving along a set path toward the other team’s goal. If the tower doesn’t arrive at either goal before time runs out, the team that’s moved it closest toward their opponent’s goal wins. Ride the tower all the way into the other team’s goal though, and you’ll get a decisive knockout victory."

Tower Control will become available in Ranked Battle in North America tomorrow, July 1st at 7PM Pacific. In Europe, the mode will launch on the 2nd.

Let us know what you think about the new mode when it launches! Check out our Ranked Battle discussion thread to chat about this new mode or leave your thoughts in the comments below.

TheRapture

Comments

This mode will be worthwhile I bet...even if it cost you some of your rank, it will be a blast to play in! I saw a video of tower control and when you get on the tower, it makes little jingles as you going to the enemy's base and it sounds so cute! Well...that is until you get Splatted :( now I need to store my hype for when the new mode Rainmaker comes out :)

I wonder if you will have the option to chose between tower control or splat zones or if it will just put you in a random one.

Here's the question.
How useful will rollers be, and how useful will chargers be?
From the looks of what they said every time they change stages, ranked mode will go from tower control to splat zones, and vise versa. That will be interesting if that's the case!

It also seems that, Like Turf Wars (Unpaintable Inflatable covers in Kelp Dome) and Splat Zones (Extra Catwalks in Arowana Mall) there will be map tweaks to change the maps a little. In the video that came out today, it shows that in Walleye, there is now a pillar leading into the path on the side of the enemy's base, allowing players to take new paths to the tower. I like those sorts of changes for this mode, because it's more about infiltrating the enemy base rather than getting to the middle (though you still have to)

I did like the change where in Ranked Zones Bluefin, there were two blocks that disallow E-liter players to snipe from amazing distances and win using them. Here's hoping we see some balancing changes like these in this alternate mode.

Here's the question.
How useful will rollers be, and how useful will chargers be?
From the looks of what they said every time they change stages, ranked mode will go from tower control to splat zones, and vise versa. That will be interesting if that's the case!
Rollers will be used to take out anyone on the tower or anyone who wants to get on the tower. Krak-on might be less useful than the standard because the standard has a usable Special for this mode and suction bombs (yep). Krak-on does have Beacons, so that might help.
Chargers also need to take out tower players, but only squifflers should get on the tower itself. Any other charger must defend the tower.

That comes unexpected :scared: I didn't think Nintendo would release new modes before the big August update.
'Twas to be expected. It was the one game mode they actually told of in the direct whilst keeping quiet about Rainmaker. So rainmaker will be in the august update (assuming the current prediction go as follows: 1 map and 1/2 weapons a week, and 1 game mode at the beginning of a month (Although they will likely pass up on a map or a few weapons this week)).

I'm not really a huge fan of the alternating ranked battle modes :/ I'd rather have them made available side-by-side, so that if I wanted to play splat zones I could do that, but if I wanted to play tower control I could do that as well. Forcing players to play a certain game mode instead of another isn't the best of moves, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm not really a huge fan of the alternating ranked battle modes :/ I'd rather have them made available side-by-side, so that if I wanted to play splat zones I could do that, but if I wanted to play tower control I could do that as well. Forcing players to play a certain game mode instead of another isn't the best of moves, in my opinion
How do we know this is the case?

Didn't notice the word "rotate" but I still don't know if it's 100% clear. When the girls announce the current maps, they never say anything about specific gametype, just mentioning Regular and Ranked.

Didn't notice the word "rotate" but I still don't know if it's 100% clear. When the girls announce the current maps, they never say anything about specific gametype, just mentioning Regular and Ranked.
Yeah, it is a bit obscure...although they might change their announcements when the addition gets made tomorrow. I suppose we'll just find out then! Hopefully I'm wrong haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom