Tower Control Strats?

Eli-Monk

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkeysmell
What do you do in Tower Control to win? The only thing I can think of doing is :ability_quickrespawn: :ability_quickrespawn::ability_stealthjump: but that's just a crazy way of keeping the Tower XD

Magnus0

Pro Squid
Well, blaster's, especially Luna blasters, are very common on TW because they can easily hit people on the tower, without really having to aim. A blaster's blast can go through the pole, which allows blasters to get some easy kills on people on the tower. Sloshers can do the same thing, but sloshers are kind of underutilized.

Some people like to place beakons and sprinklers on the tower for some extra defense. It works especially well against chargers. Ink mines are sometimes also used on the tower to surprise the enemy when they want to take the tower back.

Another strategy that people use is to use a bubbler or kraken on the tower to basically guarantee the tower of advancing.

Spicy Succ

Inkling
NNID
alienintel
Another strategy that people use is to use a bubbler or kraken on the tower to basically guarantee the tower of advancing.
Although that usually works, it's incredibly easy to push someone off of the tower if they're bubbled or krakened, so it's important to be wary of that when using those specials.

Eli-Monk

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkeysmell
Although that usually works, it's incredibly easy to push someone off of the tower if they're bubbled or krakened, so it's important to be wary of that when using those specials.
Agreed, sometimes it's tricky on maps like Camp Triggerfish where there's water.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Splatlings also work well because you charge and just aim on the Tower. The longer range ones to this better because they're safer and they can shoot longer. The Custom Hydra Splatling is great for this because it can shoot very long, has Sprinklers for the defense and Bubbler to advance on the Tower.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Being crazy with your stats help, what you are doing is one way of making talented players panic.
Cause most of them run ahead when they control the tower, and when you land with stealth jump and attack an unwitted opponent, you will have the upper hand when they have to U-Turn for the tower, while you gladly wait for your opponents, jumping OVER the other opponents ahead of their tower, they failed to claim. :)

The Craziest squids wins. :)

fuchsia

Full Squid
NNID
fuchsiaplays
with kraken, and maybe with bubbler [haven't tested it out], the key is to position yourself so that the pushback pushes you against the pole. it might take some practice to get the perfect position. but most people tend to sit behind the pole normally, you want to be in front of it with kraken.

any tips for playing objective-oriented [getting on the tower most of the time] without dying a lot? except when i'm charger, i'm constantly on the tower pushing it forward, or at least attempting to, but i also have double digit deaths [but so does the player on the other team who gets on the tower]. this is especially true in maps like triggerfish where you can't just jump off, splat an oncoming enemy, and jump back on. usually i just take the death with the few extra seconds on the push, but if anyone has tips for avoiding that, i'd love to hear them! i know taking the tower is just, in general, a high-splat position and i'm definitely not alone in my high deaths, but i feel like there's gotta be a better way.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
There's a funny trick you can do in ranked where you jump off the tower onto a wall and create an "infinite beacon" (but then one person can't fight at all) since when people super jump to you it takes them to your last floor location, it won't ever really work except on squads though, since people won't notice in ranked

But, real tricks, use the pole in the center to try to block charger shots, don't aimlessly go on to the tower or you will die, save krakens and bubblers for making a final push on the tower, since it'll become really easy to get killed at the end, make sure to check for ink mines if you know an enemy has them (which won't be very often), hide on the edge of the tower and surprise people when they come on, place a beacon on the tower if the enemy is near you, then super jump to it and surprise attack them when you land, because beacons actually don't show your super jump land point as long as you only have one place, and don't be so concerned with pushing the tower forward that you don't focus on anything else, it's fine to jump off for a second to kill someone and get back on.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
There isn't any real complex strategy to it. If you're on the tower, don't get killed. Try to hid behind the pole to avoid getting sniped/splatling'd. If you have a beakon or sprinkler, plant it on the tower and hide behind it. If you have a splash wall, try to place it on the tower and hide behind it. Shoot preemptively at places where people might try to kill you.

If the other team has a blaster, pray that someone else kills him first or that he sucks. Bonus points if you kill him first, but someone else will probably kill you while you're trying to do that.

If you're not on the tower, ink and kill places where your enemies have a vantage point against the tower.

If the other team is pushing, spam suction bombs, splash walls, or whatever while trying to stop the onslaught of the opposing team that are spawning on the tower or trying to flank you.

If you're nearing the finish, just spawn spam onto the tower. Every single unit helps. Once you go past 20, focusing on defending isn't a bad idea, but don't go for all or nothing pushes after that. Just a bad risk.

Basically the most important part of TC is just knowing where the vantage points are on each map. Where are you the most advantaged/disadvantaged? Everything else is intuitive or self-explanatory.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Tri-slosher bubble FTW
Interesting that you say that. That's how I got to S for the first time, but I've since stopped using the Tri in TC entirely. I should give it another shot, but for whatever reason, at the time, the weapon just did not work out in the mode for me. I find both classic Sloshers and SMs much more effective in TC, partly due to their shot type; the set of the Tri is great for the mode (Disrupting the inhabitants of the Tower is beautiful) but the physics of the weapon just seem to fail me when attacking from beneath or on the Tower.

Thunderlipps

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TaylorWiiU2013
Interesting that you say that. That's how I got to S for the first time, but I've since stopped using the Tri in TC entirely. I should give it another shot, but for whatever reason, at the time, the weapon just did not work out in the mode for me. I find both classic Sloshers and SMs much more effective in TC, partly due to their shot type; the set of the Tri is great for the mode (Disrupting the inhabitants of the Tower is beautiful) but the physics of the weapon just seem to fail me when attacking from beneath or on the Tower.
Im struggling in rainmaker - like 10-20 awful. Any suggestions for weps ?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is map control. It isn't turf but ink everywhere you can along the tower's route. Making the enemy pave their way again can waste valuable seconds of their time or give you advance notice of where they're coming from. This is important in all modes but arguably the most important in TC, given the fixed track at least one team member is going to be stuck on.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Im struggling in rainmaker - like 10-20 awful. Any suggestions for weps ?
It's hard to say what weapons are good for any given mode (other than blasters in TC, I guess) - if you think you're struggling because of your choice of weapons, I can only suggest that you keep trying others with which you're fairly proficient. It depends more on how your playstyle combined with weapon choice meshes with the mode; if you're a less aggressive Tri, then TC is probably a better fit than RM, for example (as you can focus on turf control, riding the tower and defending against opposing advances).

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
KayB already alluded to this but I think it's worth emphasizing: learn all the spots on a map where you can bounce a splash wall off of objects onto the tower while you are riding it. There's been plenty of games for me where getting a splash wall up made the difference between a push and a game winning push.

Spicy Succ

Inkling
NNID
alienintel
if you're a less aggressive Tri, then TC is probably a better fit than RM, for example (as you can focus on turf control, riding the tower and defending against opposing advances).
yeah this has worked pretty well for me in tc, def why i use it the most there
but the physics of the weapon just seem to fail me when attacking from beneath or on the Tower.
its better to try and get onto the tower and go for kills, since close quarters on a level plane is where the tri slosher works best imo

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Killer wails cause mass evacuations. A wellplaced splash wall will murder anything on the tower thats not a bubbler or krake.

Another advantage to the luna blaster is the ink mine. Always drop one asap when u get on the tower

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom