• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Trailer - The Luella Project: Combat RP

Ayykari

Senior Squid
@ReedRGale
Does weapon mastery apply to the whole class, such as all brushes or all sloshers, or does it only apply to the exact weapon?

Also, what kind of abilities would be considered special abilities?

Kirbehfan

Inkling
NNID
oyabnpro
I'm interested.

Seems like a great way to start my squidboards experience. d:

I've never watched RWBY, but because of the hype it got here, I probably should.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Hmm... how would you classify this POWAH!!11!@!!
Also, on a more sane note. How would you classify certain powers? Especially if some seem like they can do a lot of things? In combat? To support? To be... UNUSUAL?

Camouflage
Description:
It works by changing the properties of the wielder's/user's Ink into a transparent state. It can make the wielder and their allies harder to detect. It doesn't work by making the user completely invisible. More like a chameleon's invisibility. Or if you've seen a Stealth Boy in Fallout. It would work like that.
It would possibly be support/unusual. One of those two classes in my opinion from what I can guess. Maybe even that offensive one.

Abilities:
It can make allies invisible only if they are the same color as them, otherwise it'll work like it would in a Turf War. Sticky and Damaging. (1)
The user can turn self invisible. (2)
The user is capable of giving invisibility to objects. Invisible boxes ftw!(3)

Another question that has been itching on my head, figuratively.
Are there any unique items that can be obtained by the players? Would you two ever consider having unique items as a reward for players who complete certain missions in certain areas? If so, how would an item be acquired?

Last two questions for now...
What happens in between missions?
And are the players who didn't choose to go, or weren't able to go still forced to accompany their fellow students?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Ayykari For the sake of the RP, weapons are broken into four different classes: Blaster, Roller, Shooter, Charger. That isn't to say, however, that every weapon falls into one category or another. Instead, each weapon has a different EXP distribution depending on what qualities the weapon seems to have.

For example, an Dynamo Roller grants EXP with a weight of 1 on charger, 1 on blaster, and 2 on roller. Compare this to the NZap, which grants EXP with a weight of 4 on shooter.

Subsequently, the weapon's mastery is based in how many levels you have in each section. The skill that the character uses the Dynamo Roller, for instance, scales off of charger, blaster and roller levels (in their respective weights. This can make it easier to pick up a different weapon if it has weight in another weapon's skill types.

As far special abilities, these are usually tactical or rounded ones. Things that have little to no combat value on their own, but don't necessarily fall under support. They tend to be the more clever abilities, or give up straight attack power for utility. Due to their nature, then, it is hard to give a good example of what falls under a category.

That said, there isn't really any specific reason for you to care too much about your category. This is something more behind the scenes that Ammy and I use to designate powers and less something that affects stats. Use it if it helps you categorize power ideas you might have. Elsewise, feel free to just leave it to us to categorize your power.

@Rustic Abilities that can do a lot of things usually fall under "special." I don't recommend utility types, however, because I have to weaken their stats to make them more fair. That considered, they usually end up being weak.

As Camouflage would be passable to allies, I would consider it support. But as noted before, class doesn't matter a whole lot, though if you'd prefer I focus a class a certain way, I am always open to suggestions.

As far as Unique Items? Probably not. At least stat-wise. I wouldn't mind you customizing something for flavor, like a weapon, but at the end of the day, you aren't going to get a +1 on that weapon because you changed its decal, nor are you going to find anything that would give anything like that.

Missions are bridged by events and exploration. Areas will be available for the player to explore, shop, talk to NPCs and the like. Maybe get some advice before going on the next mission. I will admit, we're still ironing things out as far as moving between areas and providing adequate incentives to do so, but I'm sure we'll think of something.

We've got a few months, after all.

@Kirbehfan RWBY is okay. The battle scenes are pretty good, but, in my humble opinion, the writing is subpar. That said, it still has worth as an artistic piece and as what I like to call "American Anime," so do give it a shot and develop your own opinion.

Otherwise, welcome to the Squidboards!

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Whoops, Reed got those all. Niiice. Look at all these story things I can't spoil. ; u ;

---

Anyways
, there is something that I had to add!
Does what I said about the Karma system make sense? It's not just "write more, do better."

The "challenges" idea is to grant bonuses for attempting to write in ways we suggest, usually in ways that push people out of their comfort zones with writing and RPing.

For instance... the trailer scene was written in 3rd person like most RPing in the writing section was done, but a challenge might be to write in 1st person. That is, using "I" pronouns and writing directly from the character's perspective.

Challenges bring forward ideas to explore writing style and your character. You might even find an aspect that you like in challenges and keep using it.

It's another large part that'll hopefully give flavor to the RP ... so does it make sense?

Better yet, do any of you have ideas for challenges? Or have any ideas that you think you might see?

Ashlee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KikyoTheHedgehog
This sounds super cool. I really can't wait! So, question, on the powers front. Doesn't it have to be INK BASED? I saw telekenisis and whatnot mentioned.. But I fail to see how they use ink, unless whatever it is is covered/sitting in it.
On the same topic.. How does ink whips sound? OwO Like they're liquid, yet not, and grab stuff and whatnot? For example, a horizontal pole sticking out of a wall above the ground. The whip would be able to grab onto it and hold, allowing the user to swing from it. It could be classified as a weapon, but also a power since it would be coming directly out of the inkling's hands.. A bioweapon? o.o;;

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Ashlee It doesn't take much creativity to make something only apply to ink. Telekinesis applying only to ink isn't that hard a stipulation--so yes, it does only apply to ink. As for Ink Whips, that would be pretty cool; whips in general are a pretty versatile weapon, especially when you can control them mentally.

Anyway, if that were a user's power, I would specifically define it as:

The manipulation of ink in cords extending from the ink-based being.

These cords can be manipulated as an extension of the body and, thus, can be controlled by the user to twist and grasp much like a limb. As such, they are have touch receptors--so they can feel--and tensile strength. With some exertion, they can pull the inkling to their location. Unlike a limb, though, this tool does not have pain receptors and cutting them cannot hurt the inkling, though it depletes total ink.

The whip can be used as a weapon to swipe over a large area at close range though the force of the hit is largely dependent on the amount of ink put into the whip.

The power's growth would largely be in the amount of ink able to be put into making the whips and as such, the length to which they can effectively extend. At higher levels, the user would gain the ability to control multiple whips. Using the whips for extended time uses more EP per turn. Using whips with more ink consumes more EP. (EP is basically Mana in this game).

As a note to anyone asking... if you want this in PM, just ask. When someone chooses a power in the game, it's a private affair and only the user gets to know their power's "forecast." That way people can keep it secret, if they wish, for RPing purposes.

Ashlee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KikyoTheHedgehog
@ReedRGale Awesome, 'cause that's what my new OC has. xD I thought it was pretty darn cool when it popped into my head. I don't really care if that's secret or not as long as nobody takes it xD

Skywriter

Inkling
NNID
Zoruakip
Hmm, this definitely looks interesting, and I am looking to improve my writing skills.

It would also be a good challenge to write a different type of character to what I usually do.

Also, what would you call the ability to use ink to enhance the body, such as giving yourself a mean looking ink claw or wings of some kind?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Skywriter I would personally say that I need more information. Would this be shapeshifting be aiming to be versatile? Or would it give you more specific mutations that are more powerful? Is it more cosmetic or focused on utility?

Skywriter

Inkling
NNID
Zoruakip
@Skywriter I would personally say that I need more information. Would this be shapeshifting be aiming to be versatile? Or would it give you more specific mutations that are more powerful? Is it more cosmetic or focused on utility?
Its supposed to be more versatile, being able to form whatever the user can think of, it does have its limits however. we could talk more about those limits privately, if you wished

EDIT: after thinking it over a bit more, I think I might just settle on the ink claw.

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Skywriter If you want to discuss more, feel free to PM me; I'm probably going to just accept PMs as opposed to sending them out--I've got a bit on my plate making an entire battle system and making sure its solid for the game--unless the ability really catches my eye.

So yeah, if you wanna discuss, cool. If not, also cool. Glad to have you on the hype train.

Lydia

Inkling Cadet
Mind if I try throwing my hat into this ring? I need some practice flexing my creative muscles for combat and ability development.

Lydia

Inkling Cadet
Well then, where should I write up a character? And of course I will try to improve ^^;

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
@Lydia
=u=;; Ahaha see, this is a "Trailer" for a reason. We were looking for initial interest/spreading some hype. There is currently no recruitment thread at the moment.

Reed and I are still working on making gameplay mechanics, world building and defining enemies... We're still in the process of making the RP, basically.

Luella Project is a bit ambitious, but when it's done, it'll be pretty cool. Not to mention it's gameplay sytem might be usable in other RPs. (Might, this is a Reed thing)

So uh... honestly this won't be out very soon, ('cause my life is busy, and there are a lot of kinks to work out in the gameplay) but... ask us questions. Come up with power theories and ask Reed to forecast them, think of characters that can be applied, ask about the world 30 years later...

They'll definitely be another (second, third maybe?) Trailer, but for now... we appreciate people showing interest and grilling us about concepts and progress. Keeps us motivated.

TL;DR Luella is a work in progress, there is no recruitment thread yet.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Lydia I also have plans for testing the battle system in larger groups--that is, anyone interested--in the future. Right now the system is kind of, uh, unfinished. But keep checking back here for more details as they develop.

Slowly.

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
Hey uh... its been a while since this thread has been updated. How is this thing coming along?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
We decided it would take a lot more effort than would be worth building a whole system for because both @Aykorn and I are in school; besides, one RP is enough for me.

MewSeven

Inkling
NNID
Cool-Davidoo
Wow this seems cool. I definitely want to join. I sort of thought of an ability to sense ink all around and know where it is how fast it's going and direction but details are hard to figure out

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom