• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Uninvolved Inklings?

Roksys

Senior Squid
NNID
Skolroksys
I'm curious whether these turf wars are just something that all Inklings do. Like is it a societal norm or are the Inklings we see in the game a minority, with others viewing them as a menace because "I'm just trying to get to work and now I've got to slosh through all this ink, darn those punk kids!"
Are they rebelling against authority? Is there going to be a Jet Set Radio-esque sequel or side-story where the police start cracking down on these kids inking all over the place to mark their territory? Am I thinking too deeply about this?

yaminokaabii

Inkling
NNID
YamiNoKaabii
Considering that we practically change color every game, I'm currently leaning more to the "punk kids" side, or at the very least a pastime that isn't too common in squid society. Surely it's a lot of trouble cleaning up the ink? Then again, it's not like I know much of the lore behind the game....

One thing's for sure...
Am I thinking too deeply about this?
...the answer to this is no!

Green_Ivy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tiger-Fuather
What I am thinking is that those areas have been closed off and abandoned for good. So they re-purpose them for these games, to try to get the rebel kids AWAY from the general terrace.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
It seems that if the Turf Wars were uncommon, you wouldn't have an entire host of shops catering to people that participate in them. Or pop idols hosting events for them, as being associated with unpleasant segments of society would limit their market viability.

I think it's much more likely that Turf Wars are a sort of... inkling pastime, possibly stemming from their ancient war with the Octarians. I mean, no one gets hurt in these, and the ink they use seems likely to be water soluble (since even inklings themselves dissolve in water), making cleanup as easy as turning on a sprinkler system.

If they were truly "bad kids", you'd think their rivalries and grudges would carry beyond the games, but looking at the plaza in Inkopolis, you have tons of inklings in different colors spending time together, hangin' out. Instead, it's more like they're all players of a sport that favors pick-up games, getting assigned random team colors and buddies each time they feel up for a match.

Green_Ivy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tiger-Fuather
It seems that if the Turf Wars were uncommon, you wouldn't have an entire host of shops catering to people that participate in them. Or pop idols hosting events for them, as being associated with unpleasant segments of society would limit their market viability.

I think it's much more likely that Turf Wars are a sort of... inkling pastime, possibly stemming from their ancient war with the Octarians. I mean, no one gets hurt in these, and the ink they use seems likely to be water soluble (since even inklings themselves dissolve in water), making cleanup as easy as turning on a sprinkler system.

If they were truly "bad kids", you'd think their rivalries and grudges would carry beyond the games, but looking at the plaza in Inkopolis, you have tons of inklings in different colors spending time together, hangin' out. Instead, it's more like they're all players of a sport that favors pick-up games, getting assigned random team colors and buddies each time they feel up for a match.
Huh, that actually makes more sense.

Roksys

Senior Squid
NNID
Skolroksys
Considering that we practically change color every game, I'm currently leaning more to the "punk kids" side, or at the very least a pastime that isn't too common in squid society. Surely it's a lot of trouble cleaning up the ink? Then again, it's not like I know much of the lore behind the game....
This is sort of what I was thinking originally. It seemed weird to me that everything was taking place primarily industrial areas, but then...

What I am thinking is that those areas have been closed off and abandoned for good. So they re-purpose them for these games, to try to get the rebel kids AWAY from the general terrace.
I like this. It implies a caring squidciety that knows how to handle wayward kids. It also makes sense, given that there's nobody else around in the middle of the day in places that are obviously heavily industrialized.

Roksys

Senior Squid
NNID
Skolroksys

This is definitely more likely, but the crews in Jet Set Radio had their own radio station and the GGs even had their own little city block just next to Shibuya Terminal. Though I suppose Jet Set Radio was a pirate station...

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Somewhere on the Splatoon tumblr it's stated that Turf Wars are a huge past time in Inkling society, so these games are a big sporting event, this is why there are brands for clothes and manufacturers who all try to make the best weapons for the players to use in battle.

I guess the whole punk culture is just a side effect, but Turf Wars are definitely not a niche game to inklings.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
All Inklings must contribute to society. All Inklings failing to do so shall be fed to the Kraken.

Roksys

Senior Squid
NNID
Skolroksys
Somewhere on the Splatoon tumblr it's stated that Turf Wars are a huge past time in Inkling society, so these games are a big sporting event, this is why there are brands for clothes and manufacturers who all try to make the best weapons for the players to use in battle.

I guess the whole punk culture is just a side effect, but Turf Wars are definitely not a niche game to inklings.
That makes sense. I imagine otherwise there would be a disclaimer splash saying DON'T ACTUALLY PAINT STUFF GUYS THAT'S ILLEGAL, similar to the JSF games. X)

yaminokaabii

Inkling
NNID
YamiNoKaabii

Welp, really hadn't considered this. Case closed?

That makes sense. I imagine otherwise there would be a disclaimer splash saying DON'T ACTUALLY PAINT STUFF GUYS THAT'S ILLEGAL, similar to the JSF games. X)
New question: Will Splatoon cause an upsurge in business of paintball arenas?!

Roksys

Senior Squid
NNID
Skolroksys
New question: Will Splatoon cause an upsurge in business of paintball arenas?!
With the Nintendo at Universal Parks news, I've heard some mention of the possibility of a Splatoon-themed paintball arena. I don't know how likely that would be, but it could be interesting.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
Well, let's see. The Splatoon Tumblr says:
"Turf wars are considered a serious sport in the squid world, and as such, the weapon manufacturers are constantly competing to outdo one another with new innovations to help these athletes gain the upper hand…er, tentacle."
Also, the official website calls Ink battles "the hottest sport in town."

So there's really not much you can add to that. But I have thought about how it'd be simply dreadful to have to clean up all that ink after every single match. =p

Marie

Inkster Jr.
It's definitely a sport! We think of it as a really old game I heard of from many many years ago... They called it "Paintball"

And don't worry about the Ink after the Event! This Red-Capped Mustachioed man with a weird looking water gun comes in and helps out cleaning up!

Maybe I could get to meet him in person one day.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
That would actually be very cool, it would add a bit of story depth to the game even if not much. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom