• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Universal Booyah/C'mon Language Thread

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
You can't even use "C'mon!" while splatted. I think that's a good idea. Anyway, I just wanted to throw this idea out there. Thanks for considering it, though! :)
was that meant to reply to birdiebee? because that is not what we are talking about. We are not talking about how to use messages in game, but how English speakers and Japanese speakers use the word. "C'mon!" has like 1000 different meanings in English and just about everyone on the FAQ forum used it in a wrong way or misunderstood it, I see this in game a lot too. people spam it when losing. My point is the English game shouldn't be using "C'mon!"

Kirbykirby74

Inkling
NNID
Kirbykirby56
was that meant to reply to birdiebee? because that is not what we are talking about. We are not talking about how to use messages in game, but how English speakers and Japanese speakers use the word. "C'mon!" has like 1000 different meanings in English and just about everyone on the FAQ forum used it in a wrong way or misunderstood it, I see this in game a lot too. people spam it when losing. My point is the English game shouldn't be using "C'mon!"
Oh. :P The part about throwing the idea referred to the thread, but I just wanted to add about how the players used it when getting splatted. I was a little late. :P

Kikaioh

Full Squid
I use the "Booyah" when I'm splatted to warn my teammates about something. For example, if the Rainmaker is heading towards our base and I got splatted, but my teammates are off fighting somewhere else, I'll spam the Booyah and hope they take a look at their maps to realize we're in danger of losing the match.

I use the "Cmon" whenever I have the Rainmaker and I'm heading in towards the enemy goal, and need reinforcements. Rainmaker mode is so much easier if at least one teammate is helping you get to the goal, but sometimes everyone decides to do their own thing instead, which can make it difficult if you have it.

I also use the "Cmon" if I'm on the tower moving into the enemy territory and I notice that all my teammates have stayed behind.

The only other time I use "Booyah" is if the match is basically over and we've won.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
The game definitely needs more speech options!

I'm one of those who views "C'mon" as rallying and "Booyah" as celebratory. Any other usage beyond that is often lost on me. Though when someone is quickly spamming either of them I tend to pay special attention to what's going on with an inkling.

★Forge

Senior Squid
NNID
Slumplush
I don't say it often, Though I notice a lot of people say it at the beginning of a match, if they are random I ignore them but if it was my friend I would say it back, If I get splatted and one of my teammates splats them I say nice same if it was opposite, Though spamming is unnecessary if it's a normal match

Maave

Inkling Commander
Still valid issue so the thread deserves a bump

I would like some adjusted commands. Change "C'mon" to "Come here" / "C'mere". Add a "Thanks". Automatically make a "splat" sound when your teammate is splatted so that we don't have to slap the booyah/nice button. Then booyah can be reserved for celebration.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I rechecked a few videos of the sequel demos. Can't read kanji, but it looks like "C'mon!/To me!" has been changed to "This way!"

BUT I can't confirm if that's a change for all English language regions, as in the global testfire promo video there is a brief shot where it still says "C'mon!" =/

Windows95

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4161-2129-8915
In reaction to op; timing can add extra meaning too. For example I use "Nice!" a lot just after squid jumping to a mate who has clearly been anchoring for the rest of the team, to affirm I approve his position.

Starbuck

Inkling
When I get splatted I booyah. When there's 3 down I cmon for the push. One thing I've noticed while smurfing though is noobs don't get the point of my booyah and always respond with cmon...calling out in solo doesn't always work...

Oka Chokka

Inkster Jr.
The game definitely needs more speech options!

I'm one of those who views "C'mon" as rallying and "Booyah" as celebratory. Any other usage beyond that is often lost on me. Though when someone is quickly spamming either of them I tend to pay special attention to what's going on with an inkling.
I agree. I think there needs to be a "Watch out! / Beware!" option, at least, for warning teammates of a nearby opponent who likely just splatted you.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I just do the basic communications. Single Booyah means a good job, multiple rapid booyahs mean "DANGER!!! The enemy is over here!!!", Single C'mon means the basic "Come to me!" and Multiple C'mons mean "Last chance!! Hurry Up and come to me!!!"

...Although I swear people rarely pay attention to the C'mons, Resulting in failed chances at turn overs. C'mon isn't a taunt as some people make it to be.

I would love it if people followed this sort of standard for communication use but honestly- outside of squads, I don't see it happening much.

NNID
benimarucollider
I got an idea for you m8ey.

Unlimited "C'mon!" Works = My resenting emotions of great anger and hate in this match that only ends up being overpowered by my everlasting deception towards my teammates because they happened to have gotten out of the kiddy pool (Turf War) way too early. Because of this I have lost my job, my family, my cat, my welfare savings, my life savings, my home, and is now living as a full-time Solid Snake in the back-alleys. When I die, I want you guys to come to my funeral and help the folks there for my burial, so that you can let me down one last time. Thanks team.

Let's make this a great universal communication terminology guys.

PunctualGuy

Inkling
I use a single C'mon as "Come to me", multiple C'mons as "Push!", single Booyah as "I'm down", and multiple Booyahs as "Someone's here!". Though, I'm not sure how much it matters; nobody on Ranked seems to understand the signals anyway.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
from my experience online (both turf and ranked), this seems to be somewhat universal languages used and worth noting. (somewhat similar to TC language too)
nice/booyah at beginning of match: kind of rally, rarely an attempt to start a squid party.
multipe nice/booyah when splatted: warning that an enemy is going to infliterate your base or is already in your base.
to my/c'mon:
-super jump to my (used when an teammate has made it in the enemy base or found an opening to escape from a lock-down, an quick decision needs to be made here too since danger to be splat on landing)
- i'm going in or found/created an opening, follow my lead. (attempt to recruit players to push on on a favorable situation)

not sure about this one, but if a team member is going to to super jump to you and constantly tapping you on his/her gamepad. (e.g. his/her name is appearing on your screen).
he/she is urging you to go to cover so he/she can safely super jump in the fray.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
not sure about this one, but if a team member is going to to super jump to you and constantly tapping you on his/her gamepad. (e.g. his/her name is appearing on your screen).
he/she is urging you to go to cover so he/she can safely super jump in the fray.
I completely forgot about this one, your right. I've seen a few people use it before, and I use it every time I Squid Jump into a area that may be dangerous. Even with Ninja Squid Jump, I like to alert and make the extra precaution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom