• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Urchin Underpass: Analysis and Thoughts

Nabbit

Inkling
NNID
Nabbitz
It seems like the area doesn't allow chargers to dominate so much anymore. Which i like. I wonder how rollers will do with the new hills.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It seems like the area doesn't allow chargers to dominate so much anymore. Which i like. I wonder how rollers will do with the new hills.
Probably fine- they seem like they would fill the entirety of the slope and rollers do really good at laying at the bottom of slopes for the kills. I think most people will go through the path next to the slopes except in tower control because that is where the tower will most likely go through.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I honestly MUCH prefer the new Urchin Underpass to the old version, it's a lot more enjoyable. I'm so glad that the middle area isn't so small anymore, the different levels make it a bit more difficult to splat or be splatted and give you more room to hide, which I like. It's now become one of my favorite stages, whereas it was fairly low before.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
New Urchin Underpass is FUN.
I love the new middle, it's so weirdly spacious, it's actually difficult to keep enemies out of the center for any period of time thanks to the new layout (or at least it feels that way), and the new area is interesting for firefights, mostly thanks to the side corridors and rampy center. It's completely unlike the old Urchin Underpass, and it's much better for it.
It has some fairly strong competition (Camp Triggerfish, mainly), but this new Underpass might become my new favorite stage (though I'll have to play Ranked on it first before I can make that call).

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
New Urchin jumped all the way from the bottom of my favourite maps to the near-top. Seriously, they did an excellent job at redesigning this map. The old Urchin had horrendously exploitable chokepoints which was honestly the only thing I thought bad about it. Now it is much easier to take back control though you still have to work for it which is how it should be. Plus it's a tad more roomy with more defensive options which I think offers more strategy and depth. The fact that chargers don't suck here anymore is also appreciated.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
I actually don't like the new Urchin Underpass much. It just feels so messy. It's more spacious, but messy. Like a bomb hit the middle of Urchin Underpass and we're now playing in the aftermath. Everything was so neat and orderly in the old one, but this feels like a construction zone. I dunno, it really does feel like they took Urchin Underpass and just jumbled stuff around. Like some mad scientist's experiment...

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Aw man. Feels pretty weird and yet I can already tell it's way better.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I hate it so much. I liked how the original map had narrow chokes, but three of them so you could flank/would have to monitor them all. And I loved how the center was a hectic firefight once you pushed into there. They basically removed the whole premise of the map and replaced it with one that has nothing in common, why?

I think I can tell what they thought the problem was, too many newbies kept predictably rushing the center entrance every time. That would've solved itself if they gave players more time to learn to stop doing that. If any changes really were necessary, I would've just made the left entrance (the drop-down) easier to reach by letting you ink the wall on the outside leading up it.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
I hate it so much. I liked how the original map had narrow chokes, but three of them so you could flank/would have to monitor them all. And I loved how the center was a hectic firefight once you pushed into there. They basically removed the whole premise of the map and replaced it with one that has nothing in common, why?

I think I can tell what they thought the problem was, too many newbies kept predictably rushing the center entrance every time. That would've solved itself if they gave players more time to learn to stop doing that. If any changes really were necessary, I would've just made the left entrance (the drop-down) easier to reach by letting you ink the wall on the outside leading up it.
No, to be honest, I think they changed it because of the Splatlings. The middle entrance to the chokepoint would just be swamped with them shooting in continuously.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425

Actually when I had the advantage there was a spot where I could monitor every single route too easily. I personally found taking control from the other team to be harder than other maps. Especially when the enemy is hiding in their huge pool of ink. The 3 routes just wasn't enough.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
New Urchin jumped all the way from the bottom of my favourite maps to the near-top. Seriously, they did an excellent job at redesigning this map. The old Urchin had horrendously exploitable chokepoints which was honestly the only thing I thought bad about it. Now it is much easier to take back control though you still have to work for it which is how it should be. Plus it's a tad more roomy with more defensive options which I think offers more strategy and depth. The fact that chargers don't suck here anymore is also appreciated.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Went straight from my least favorite map to one of the best. The openness is absolutely lovely now.

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
I think the things that cali and mari say are different as well as the map, 'cuz I don't remember them ever saying Cali: um...uh... Stay fresh? Mari: Ugh, someone fix the teleprompters.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think the things that cali and mari say are different as well as the map, 'cuz I don't remember them ever saying Cali: um...uh... Stay fresh? Mari: Ugh, someone fix the teleprompters.
I think they added in a few phrases for all of the maps or at least several.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
You can still play the old Urchin Underpass in Battle Dojo.
Really? I guess Battle Dojo really is something Nintendo doesn't care about, it seems like they've completely forgotten about it with all these updates having been released with new maps and updates like Urchin Underpass and the fact that it hasn't been updated with these additions at all...

Granted, I don't care about it either, but it's still odd to leave it unchanged.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Really? I guess Battle Dojo really is something Nintendo doesn't care about, it seems like they've completely forgotten about it with all these updates having been released with new maps and updates like Urchin Underpass and the fact that it hasn't been updated with these additions at all...

Granted, I don't care about it either, but it's still odd to leave it unchanged.
It might be difficult for them, but also I agree that they are not their highest priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom