• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Urchin Underpass: Analysis and Thoughts

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
If the middle is somehow taken, then put two guys at 5, one at 3, and one at 7. This blocks the enemy from getting into the middle if performed correctly, and this also guarantees a win in both turf war and splat zones.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I really don't like this map, and tower control continued that trend. I really don't like the cramped nature of it, and the tower is very hard to deal with when it reaches those narrow hallways.

Upside-DownFish

Inkling
NNID
thegovernator
I hate this map sooooooo much. The best strategy that I've seen is just "hold chokepoint on enemy's side until you win" which just really isn't fun. Especially when you're the one getting your point choked. The best way that I think this can be solved is adding some more pathways or making the existing ones bigger.

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
Too many different hallways. You have the Main Route, the gated route that's a pain to swim through, and the Sniper Path. Impossible to penetrate when I'm the winning team and too difficult to defend when I'm the losing team.

MickX

Inkster Jr.
After the current ranked rotation featuring this map I remembered the beta footage from E3 2014 and was wondering why did they cramp up the place so much. Old Underpass seemed to give you far more room to move around, with the only cramped chokepoints seemingly being the entrances around the middle area and the side flanks.

Maybe if the right elevated path could also lead into the enemy's side flank (with the enemy being unable to climb it back) it would help with the number of approaches people could take / enemy would have to defend. As it is it feels too easy to defend the 3 entrances to the center, which in turn feels like it's either going to be a dull win or a frustrating loss.

I should probably try the stealth approach from the right a bit more often. Going through the middle is ultra hard to break through while the left flank usually doesn't give me good results as I tend to miss shooting from an higher height (and doing anything from that upper spot tends to draw enemies towards me anyway). Just really don't know what to do to get back into the game here, it feels tons harder in this map than in most other maps...

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So...my least favorite map is getting a redesigned. I don't know how I feel about that.

On one hand, yes the stage I dislike the most is now getting fixed. On the other hand, this means any stage can be redesigned, which annoys me that my favorite stages could be ruined.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
I really don't like this map, and tower control continued that trend. I really don't like the cramped nature of it, and the tower is very hard to deal with when it reaches those narrow hallways.
I gotta agree. It's really claustrophobic in there. However, I'm looking forward to the redesign of Urchin Underpass since it'll probably address those issues.

By the way, will you be updating this thread one the map gets remodeled?

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I gotta agree. It's really claustrophobic in there. However, I'm looking forward to the redesign of Urchin Underpass since it'll probably address those issues.

By the way, will you be updating this thread one the map gets remodeled?
Of course, but I will be making a section for information of it's past self though, so people can look back on it.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
So...my least favorite map is getting a redesigned. I don't know how I feel about that.

On one hand, yes the stage I dislike the most is now getting fixed. On the other hand, this means any stage can be redesigned, which annoys me that my favorite stages could be ruined.
I wouldn't worry too much. This change was pretty needed. I see no aspect of other maps that needed changing quite like this.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I hope the redesign is just a bug fix. I hope nothing major gets changed. And they better not do this again unless a map has a huge glitch that can be easily exploited.

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
From the picture on the twitter it looks like they are getting rid of the trees and expanding the side halls. So I get the feeling they are trying to even the stage out a bit.

winner133

Full Squid
NNID
winner133
R.I.P
Trees

but seriously the trees didn't really needed to be removed :/

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
From the picture on the twitter it looks like they are getting rid of the trees and expanding the side halls. So I get the feeling they are trying to even the stage out a bit.
They are also placing some circles(?) in the middle trench and making the gates between the middle and bases wider

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
They are also placing some circles(?) in the middle trench and making the gates between the middle and bases wider
Looks like they are adding some new ramps and a few more corners with climbable surfaces and grates at the top.

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
Does this mean we can now jump on trees?! :O
I think it is more like the center of urchin underpass will let players duck and dodge around the trees instead of being wide open in the center and it also means that long range weapons can't claim the splatzone from afar.

wereyoshi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
wereyoshi
Switch Friend Code
SW-1149-3763-7213
Here is a video that shows off the new urchin underpass.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It looks so much more spacious! Much more than I expected! I really like this change!
I am so excited to play on it- it looks like so much more fun and it even just looks better aesthetically. I would love if they kept watching and fixing things- it not only makes the game more enjoyable but keeps things fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom