Using An Alt. To Practice Using Charger Weapons?

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
Now, as a Squelcher user, I've always been curious about using chargers, however, I know if I use a charger at my current level I'll be useless to my team in every way. I thought about creating an alternate account to practice using a charger, but I'm not sure how effective it'll be constantly sniping noobs, if I can hit them...

Any input?

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
When I started using chargers (and whenever I try a weapon i'm not used to), I just practiced in regular battles since it doesn't really matter if you lose, but if you're really that concerned about it, i'd make an alt. You can also use it to practice in ranked, if you don't have anyone to private battle with.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
You're already using a Squelcher of some sort, so you'll be starting with some levelof proficiency with chargers. Even if you find yourself totally inept, people in Turf War should be used to charger users who can't splat for beans by now. If they can't handle it, they can just leave the room.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I got used to the E-Liter by playing with it in turf war for a few days, and I'm not amazing at it but I use it occasionally at S-rank to get better against better people.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I tried practicing in turf wars but didn't find it helped enough because there's a lot more pressure concentrated in one spot in ranked, so I created an alt. Still working on it, I find it a lot more useful.

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
I agree with the turf wars thing, however I did create one to practice in ranked ( I have no friends, rip).
I was thinking about setting it up for ranked, too, but I don't want to ruin the experience for new C rank players. Like I used an E-Liter with the account I'm currently using and 3 times out of 10 I'll score a hit, not including rollers which would be like 6 times out of 10. So, I wouldn't say I suck at using chargers, but at the same time, I know I need a lot of work.

I tried practicing in turf wars but didn't find it helped enough because there's a lot more pressure concentrated in one spot in ranked, so I created an alt. Still working on it, I find it a lot more useful.
In turf war, I feel like it's less about splats (which it is) and more covering turf, with ranked being somewhat the opposite making more effective for learning purposes, but I know I'm not good enough to use it in ranked with my current rank.

I used an alt to practice Chargers, myself. It's a good no-pressure way to start fresh and experience the game again
I'm noticing more people saying that they use or have used and alt. for getting better with chargers, now I'm in no position to criticize anyone for it, but do you think it's ruining the experience for new ranked splatoon players? That's the one thing that's really holding me back.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
I was thinking about setting it up for ranked, too, but I don't want to ruin the experience for new C rank players. Like I used an E-Liter with the account I'm currently using and 3 times out of 10 I'll score a hit, not including rollers which would be like 6 times out of 10. So, I wouldn't say I suck at using chargers, but at the same time, I know I need a lot of work.

In turf war, I feel like it's less about splats (which it is) and more covering turf, with ranked being somewhat the opposite making more effective for learning purposes, but I know I'm not good enough to use it in ranked with my current rank.

I'm noticing more people saying that they use or have used and alt. for getting better with chargers, now I'm in no position to criticize anyone for it, but do you think it's ruining the experience for new ranked splatoon players? That's the one thing that's really holding me back.
I've thought about creating a second account before, but the reason I haven't is that I think it may be unfair.
I'm a charger main, but I'm not very good with most rollers and some weapons like the .92 Gal. However if I am facing low ranks, I can usually defeat them with those weapons with little problems.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
No. First of all, of you do good in ranked, you'll rank up quickly and they won't have to worry about you. If you do bad, well, the ranks are low anyways. Second of all, they're gonna have to lean to deal with chargers eventually, so not facing them is just delaying the inevitable. Third of all, it's just a game, what happens happens.

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
Losing in Turf War isn't a huge deal to me, I'm just thinking about how my teammates would potentially feel.
That is very sweet of you to be concerned about your teammates, however you shouldn't have to worry. We all start somewhere and your teammates should be able to understand this. Clearly if they can't understand then they're not much of a team player.

I'd say stick with your current account. If you make an alt. account you'll be (supposedly) matched with people of your skill level for that account, and I'm assuming your skill level has surpassed the beginner stage. You would be better off learning on your current account with people of your true skill level.

When I'm testing out a weapon, yeah, I may not do so well, but that just motivates me to keep at it and do my best the next match.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I don't think I'm good enough at it to ruin the experience.

Especially if I use a squiffer. I am hopeless. Hopeless.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Honestly... No. It's not really ruining the experience for anyone. It's not ruining the experience because most people who do this are at a C rank level with chargers. People who create alternate accounts to practice chargers in Ranked aren't very good with the weapon at all... Most probably can barely hit a player at all. So it's not really taking anything away when the player themselves is definitely probably at a low skill level with chargers - if they've got a skill level at all. :P

More towards the actual topic... I did the same thing. I created an alternate account to practice the charger class and Dynamo Roller. Somehow, I am now at an S rank on that account. o.O I've gotten good enough with the Dynamo that I'm a main for it now but I still suck with chargers and I've got no idea how I made it to the S rank on this account.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Eh, probably not. If you do really well in a few Turf War games you get put in high level rooms really quickly. I went 14-0 in a few matches when I was starting out in my Charger alt account, and BAM, I was put right in to rooms with level 40s. This happened within half an hour of me starting the new account, so the game has ways of keeping "slumming" players from predating on the newbies.

Now, in Ranked, you'll probably rank up really fast to where you are "supposed" to be and not have to spend a lot of time down in the gutters. Depends how good you are with the Charger initially.

Starting at the bottom also gives you a chance to learn without the pressure of keeping your rank up. If it's just an alt account for practice, who cares how you do? The point is learning all the ins and outs of how a Charger works in every situation. Yeah, you'll splat quite a few novice players on your way up, but both you and they will play 5000 more matches and it won't matter too much in the end.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I also find that practicing in ranked with an alt is better than doing turf wars.
I mean you want to get better AT ranked, right? Practicing in the mode you want to improve upon is the right thing to do.

Besides, I find that I dont get a lot of solid practice with my charger in a short turf war. In 3 minutes, theres not a lot I can do when players are anywhere in the map, and some of them are more skilled than anyone you'll find in C rank rooms. I get torn up trying to practice my aim in a lot of turf wars.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Sometimes I attempt to comprehend why a few players create alternate accounts. Beyond maintaining rank it seems like it would be a bit of a time waste. Then again, I give little care for my own rank and play whatever I choose with just my one account.

Turf War should help get you started. Distance, aiming, awareness, evasion, perches and so forth. Keep in mind the mentality in Turf Wars feels to be changing a tad. Some players are getting pretty aggressive.

Rank battles you'll be doing much the same, yet under more pressure with faster moving targets and fewer second shots (oh it feels so good! even defeated). I find it especially entertaining when I'm toting a Squiffer or Bamboozler.

Remember you will suck at first. Just like everyone who starts out using a charger. It isn't until after you realize you're adequate with a charger that you can really improve!

Whether you do that on you main account or an alternate will be up to you. Have you told your teammates about this yet?

s_miyahon

Inkster Jr.
I think it's fine to make an alt. Chargers are completely different from every other weapon in the game, so it's essentially re-learning the game. You'll be going against people with basically your skill level, and let the ranking process do its thing. Playing turf is fine, but I feel the learning process won't be as effective when playing against people way above your current abilities, when you don't yet know how to counter their plays that well. Just don't get salty and use your main in C rank, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom