Version 1.3 Coming July 1st

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Ink strike wasn't nerfed. Rather it was readjusted. It used to work differently depending on the area it was used in. Now it is more consistent. So depending on what that means, it could be both a buff and a nerf.
Thank god. I know for one it was ridiculous in Kelp Dome taking the zone 50% of the time by itself but in basically all other situations it's easy to deal with. I'm trying to be pessimistic with these changes too so I won't be as disappointed when things get nerfed into the ground.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Splatfest Amendments

– If it takes too long to find another team, you can fight the same team again.
* Even if playing against the same team, Splatfest Points can still be earned.
* Only the opposing team’s results will be counted at the conclusion of a Splatfest battle.
– If you begin the software before the Splatfest start time, an adjustment will be made where you may be able to begin 5 minutes before the start time (from the start time, you can participate in all areas).
* The purpose of this is to reduce congestion that would occur immediately following the start.
– The number of Super Sea Snail increases when you acquire the “Charisma” and “Eternity” titles when the team that voted loses.

Special Weapon Adjustments

– Inkstrike: When used, the mark that shows the impact zone has been greatly changed.
– Kraken: If attacked in the middle of using this, they will be repelled stronger than before.
Gear Power Adjustments
– Ninja Squid: The speed of the squid dash has been made slower than before.
– Stealth Jump: The time taken to charge has been made longer.
– Ink Resistance: The negative effects of movement and damage that enemy ink has on you when walked on has been reduced.

Other:

– Various game content has been fixed to better customer experience.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/237121-splatoon-version-1-3-0-update-hits-japan-on-july-1st

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splatfest Amendments

– If it takes too long to find another team, you can fight the same team again.
* Even if playing against the same team, Splatfest Points can still be earned.
* Only the opposing team’s results will be counted at the conclusion of a Splatfest battle.
– If you begin the software before the Splatfest start time, an adjustment will be made where you may be able to begin 5 minutes before the start time (from the start time, you can participate in all areas).
* The purpose of this is to reduce congestion that would occur immediately following the start.
– The number of Super Sea Snail increases when you acquire the “Charisma” and “Eternity” titles when the team that voted loses.

Special Weapon Adjustments

– Inkstrike: When used, the mark that shows the impact zone has been greatly changed.
– Kraken: If attacked in the middle of using this, they will be repelled stronger than before.
Gear Power Adjustments
– Ninja Squid: The speed of the squid dash has been made slower than before.
– Stealth Jump: The time taken to charge has been made longer.
– Ink Resistance: The negative effects of movement and damage that enemy ink has on you when walked on has been reduced.

Other:

– Various game content has been fixed to better customer experience.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/237121-splatoon-version-1-3-0-update-hits-japan-on-july-1st
Don't know where gonintendo got this information from. The translations I've seen and are generally more consistent with things like Inkstrikes area coverage instead of Gonintendo's marker.

Gonintendo makes ink Resistance sound like it was buffed, but it has generally agreed it says it was nerfed.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
This is super interesting thank you to the OP for posting this.
Looks like Im going to need more Swim speed to cancel out the Ninja Squid nerf lol

First off. HOLY **** PATCH NOTES! :D
My thinking exactly. You see I come from a land where Patch Notes do not exist, and so we Smash players spend hours of labor to discover what has been changed and what is only a matter of imagination. Yet this place shows mercy, the ruler in the land gets it, and so I say ALL HAIL PATCH NOTES!

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Don't know where gonintendo got this information from. The translations I've seen and are generally more consistent with things like Inkstrikes area coverage instead of Gonintendo's marker.

Gonintendo makes ink Resistance sound like it was buffed, but it has generally agreed it says it was nerfed.
All of the translators I've ran it through say it's being buffed, not nerfed.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Very interesting! It wouldn't make a lot of sense to buff ink resistance, but I do hope they haven't nerfed it. I kinda wish that, rather than nerfing the abilities that are deemed to be OP/too popular, they just buffed some of the other, more useless abilities (same story with Smash) - I'm only using ninja squid and ink resistance because they actually do something!

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
All of the translators I've ran it through say it's being buffed, not nerfed.
Here's the translation I've been using from a guy on reddit.

Japanese minor here, I'll start with the balance changes and edit in the splatfest stuff afterward. NOTE: My Japanese is far from perfect, so don't treat this as a perfect translation, as my strength is more in speaking than reading. I put my own thoughts on the possibly unclear bits in italics, as some of it didn't make full sense to me either.

Splatfest Alterations (Bullets are the main points, 'quotes' are the sub-points):

• When an enemy team isn't found and the time is exhausted, the game will attempt to make a game with a team from the same Splatfest team. (They used plain "team" a lot here, so I'm not 100% sure on this)
You can acquire Splatfest points from battles against the same team.

At the end of the Splatfest, only points from games against the opposing team will count towards the end result.

• Made adjustments so that when you start the game before the Splatfest starting time, you may begin to participate at a maximum five minutes before the official start time (Once the official start time passes, you will quickly be able to join with the full event).
This aims to clear the server congestion at the Splatfest start time.

(I'm guessing this refers to starting just before Splatfest begins so you don't get bubbled away from the main group or something, I'm not sure myself)

• Increased the number of Super Sea Snails gained by those on the losing team who received the "Champion" and "King/Queen" ranks.
(Japanese has it as "Charismatic" and "Eternal", I'm guessing these are the two highest ranks)

Special Attacks:

• Inkstrike: Fixed the bug where the painted area differed largely based on the location of the impact. (Altered translation credit to /u/Arbaal)
  • Kraken: When in kraken form and you receive an enemy's attack, a stronger repulsion will occur than what is currently present.
(think like the Bubbler's pushback)

Gear Abilities:

• Ninja Squid: Swim speed in ink has been reduced further than what is currently present.
  • Stealth Jump: Charging time for the super jump has been lengthened.
  • Ink Resistance: Decreased the [ability's] effect on damage taken and movement speed reduction when walking in enemy ink.
It's states that the ability's effect on damage and movement speed is decreased. As in, the ability doesn't have as much of an impact, therefore a nerf.

It also doesn't make any sense. It obviously everything else was nerfed due to it being centralizing, so why would they buff Ink resistance, the most centralizing thing out of all of them?

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
Even with the bad translation it sounded like they would either bring back your last team or make a stretch and find any lingering players

I don't get the score thing... I care about my score - why would we only see there's?

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Ink resistance was way too good, rip that, hopefully the nerf isn't too bad, though, as it was pretty much a staple for slow shooting weapons such as the blaster. I can see why the nerfed ninja squid jump, considering that it on;y increased the time by a few milliseconds. I still think you're just wasting a main ability slot if you use it anyways. Ninja squid kinda needed a nerf, hopefully it's not too big, though, so people have a choice. However, I'm surprised the didn't fix respawn time, as 1 sub decreases the time by nearly 2 seconds(1/5 total), while 1 main only decreases it by only 3 seconds (1/3 total). Kraken is good while pub stomping, but isn't as useful as bubbler in competitive, so unless the effect isn't as great as the bubblers, then I think the kraken will be a worse version of za bubbler. I hope by "fixed game content" they mean that they made it so that one laggy person doesn't lag everyone else and/or fix the netcode.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
My only concern is if the Ninja Squid speed penalty is more sizable now, then patch 1.3 is actually a double nerf to Kraken users who use gear with Ninja Squid. As someone who uses a lot of Kraken Roller, now I swim slower and get pushed back more when shot? I think that means the Kraken will have to be retreat/ambush/sniper nest disrupting only. I guess no more head on Kraken splats, although those were getting more unreliable/rare as people learned to squid away on sight.

I'll wait to see how much the push back is and how easy it is to get it to trigger to pass judgment though but I'm uneasy about the Kraken Roller's future in v1.3.

Note: I'm sure that Swim Speed Up affects Kraken speed, but I'm less sure if Ninja Squid affects it but I would bet that it does.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Wait, wait... So Ink Resistance effectiveness was nerfed and so was Stealth Squid's jump time and Ninja Squid's swim speed? They were perfectly fine. I can understand the special changes since the Inkstrike acted wonky and the Kraken is insta-kill bullshit, but these changes are bizarre. Nerf the ranged 1-hit KOs on Krak-On rollers and increase ink consumption on the Aerospray. Not this bs.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
First off. HOLY **** PATCH NOTES! :D
Must be the first Nintendo Game with actual balance patch notes :D

- Ink Resistance was too good and probably everyone except Chargers were using it in higher Ranks
- Ninja Squid is also an ability I though was OP, since it didn't seem to slow you too much but now it's virtually useless for Krak-On Rollers and other Kraken users
- Not sure why Ninja Jump is being nerfed - that ability is just for Kamikazes especially with the nerf to Ink Resistance
- Kraken nerf was expected

Pretty much nerfing a lot of things I specialize in, thankfully I have alternative gears especially for the shirt and can change my Kraken gameplay to ensure I'm not completely useless.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Wow, Nintendo is actually going to adjust stuff in-game via updates in Splatoon? That's interesting. The nerfs on Ninja Squid and Ink Resistance are totally justified, but as I based my whole equipment on these two perks, I hope they aren't going to be too harsh to them. I think they will still be pretty strong, but yeah, you have to consider your alternatives now.

I noticed the Inkstrike being very inconsistent, too. One time it covers a giant circle, then another time it leaves the edge of the circle almost uncovered. This patch might help.

Nerfing krakens so you can push them back like Bubblers is great. It's one of the few things in Splatoon which annoy me. We'll have to adjust our playstyle to this.

I wonder if Callie and Marie will be announcing these in the news. Probably not, but that would be awesome XD

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I am fine with the nerfs on Ink Resistance and Ninja Squid, but am surprised they did not nerf the aerospray being used everywhere.

At least there will be less rollers.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Ink resistance and kraken nerf are totally justified. Ninja squid and stealth jump well... the speed reduction for both was barely notifiable anyway

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
I have mixed feelings on Kraken nerf, because I use it a lot but at the same time there've been so many occasions where I've been shooting at a Kraken and wishing it'd be pushed back (I try to catch people just as their Kraken ends, but I'm usually too early). Also wondering how much the Ninja Squid nerf will hurt, because I use that ability pretty much all the time.

I also study Japanese so I tried looking at the patch notes myself. Because of all the conflicting stuff about whether Ink Resistance was buffed or nerfed its really hurting my brain now...literal translation is 'When stepping in enemy ink, the effect(iveness) relating to damage and movement speed has been reduced.' It's worded in quite a vague way??

Whatever, we'll find out soon enough I guess!

Phobos

Inkling Commander
From your translation it seems pretty clear - if the effectiveness of the ability has been reduced, it has indeed been nerfed. Also, since it would make no sense for them to do the opposite (though this is Nintendo...) I think we can safely assume it's a nerf. Sad times. Though, we'll have to see how significant it is. It might be nice to wear some different shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom