• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Version 1.3 Coming July 1st

Shroomsy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shroomsy
Kraken nerf is all fine and dandy, but i'm disappointed the flick wasn't nerfed first. Kraken was the least of the roller's strengths, people just complained about it the most because they didn't know how to play around it. I don't want Nintendo to leave the roller with its instantaneous AoE 1hko attack and consider it balanced just because they nerfed the panic button special.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Kraken nerf is all fine and dandy, but i'm disappointed the flick wasn't nerfed first. Kraken was the least of the roller's strengths, people just complained about it the most because they didn't know how to play around it. I don't want Nintendo to leave the roller with its instantaneous AoE 1hko attack and consider it balanced just because they nerfed the panic button special.
I think they really shouldn't nerf weapons until all or most of the initial planned weapons are out personally. Due to the fact that they release weapons at such a fast pace, I think the meta game needs to settle first on them since 1 weapon could easily change a huge deal of how people play.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very nice, I think this will get some people to play again.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
However, the Ninja Squid nerf is a bit puzzling considering that Cold-Blooded is arguably better, especially in public rooms, but maybe Nintendo realized (belatedly, admittedly) that the speed difference was way too small to be considered an actual "drawback". Stealth Jump falls in the same boat here.
I could see why they'd nerf the Ninja Squid swim speed for the same reason you just stated. Another thing to note is that with Ninja Squid in its current form, people can still make the center gap jump in Urchin Underpass just fine, but the nerf will make it much harder to jump across. So common jumps that people can make might be harder for those with Ninja Squid. Also, I don't know if the comparison between Ninja Squid and Cold Blooded is a proper comparison. Although Cold Blooded may be better, it's the most situational ability out of all the others. Every ability in the game can activate almost all the time in battle, but Cold Blooded is not like that since it needs a couple requirements.

First off, the opposing team needs to have at least one member with an Echolocator or a Point Sensor (which is very rare in my eyes since it's tied to some of the lesser used weapons - like the Classic Squiffer and Forge Splatter Shot Pro). Secondly, Cold Blooded can only work once the enemy has their Echolocator special filled up, so that's a lot of time waiting for Cold Blooded to activate (and even longer if the enemy decides to hold on to their Echolocator).

If those two requirements aren't met, then you've wasted an entire main ability for the whole duration of the entire match.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Brushes will also suffer the most from the changes, Ink Resistance was basically required for a good brush, and many used Ninja Squid, it is the basic setting for most brush users I know, they also have Inkstrike that will be tweaked, we just have to wait and see but if it makes it worse brushes are not in a good position after the patch really.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
I could see why they'd nerf the Ninja Squid swim speed for the same reason you just stated. Another thing to note is that with Ninja Squid in its current form, people can still make the center gap jump in Urchin Underpass just fine, but the nerf will make it much harder to jump across. So common jumps that people can make might be harder for those with Ninja Squid. Also, I don't know if the comparison between Ninja Squid and Cold Blooded is a proper comparison. Although Cold Blooded may be better, it's the most situational ability out of all the others. Every ability in the game can activate almost all the time in battle, but Cold Blooded is not like that since it needs a couple requirements.

First off, the opposing team needs to have at least one member with an Echolocator or a Point Sensor (which is very rare in my eyes since it's tied to some of the lesser used weapons - like the Classic Squiffer and Forge Splatter Shot Pro). Secondly, Cold Blooded can only work once the enemy has their Echolocator special filled up, so that's a lot of time waiting for Cold Blooded to activate (and even longer if the enemy decides to hold on to their Echolocator).

If those two requirements aren't met, then you've wasted an entire main ability for the whole duration of the entire match.
In public lobbies, you can't guarantee that someone with an Echolocator/Point Sensor/Haunt won't just suddenly appear in your lobby. The only way you can currently get around this is if you filled up a whole room with friends who you know won't use those tracking abilities. Cold-Blooded is indeed useless when no one on the enemy team can track you, that much is obvious, and when we get private lobbies and more dedicated teams and squads form, we may be better able to judge when and when not to use Cold-Blooded. Then again, I don't see the meta evolving specifically around making sure the enemy team won't gain anything from running Cold-Blooded either. Being able to track people in a game where you can easily hide in your own territory (read: ink), even without Ninja Squid, is just too useful. Also, one could argue that Ninja Squid does nothing but hurt you when there are no enemies around to hide from anyway, such as going from your spawn to a Splat Zone. Swim Speed Up is one of the most useful sub abilities in the game anyway imo, so it's not like there's no incentive to run a couple of those in your sub slots if you choose not to run Ninja Squid.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Swim Speed Up is one of the most useful sub abilities in the game anyway imo, so it's not like there's no incentive to run a couple of those in your sub slots if you choose not to run Ninja Squid.
Definitely agree. By the way, if a piece of gear has three Swim Speed Up's (Sub Slots), would it be enough to negate the slower swim speed Ninja Squid has? It probably does but since its swim speed is getting nerfed, people will have to have Swim Speed Up as a main ability and not rely on the Sub Slots. It's just a prediction, assuming they don't nerf Ninja Squid really hard though.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
The current penalty is canceled out by one sub speed up, right? In that case I would be the nerf makes it equal to two sub speed ups.

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
Dunno...what's the alternative to Ninja Squid after Nintendo decided to nerf it maybe too harsh? Cold Blooded I guess. And how about Ink Resistance? I have no idea cause I always run Ink Resistance and I see no other great choice there. (assuming you already have Special Charge up,Swim Speed and Ink Saver Main in your main/sub slots)

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
Dunno...what's the alternative to Ninja Squid after Nintendo decided to nerf it maybe too harsh? Cold Blooded I guess.
Right but the Cold Blooded metagame in high rank right now exists largely to counter the current plethora of echolocator weapons. Echolocator is great (in part) at beating Ninja Squid. Echolocator is obviously still stellar w/o it but Ninja Squid losing viability gives us one less reason to value Echolocator. If Echolocator phases out of the metagame (even marginally), Cold Blooded loses a lot of utility as well.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
First off. HOLY **** PATCH NOTES! :D

Next off, the nerfs were justified, (I don't get what they did to inkstrike though). Everyone was using those abilities all the time. The fact that everyone was complaining it about it in the reddit thread shows as much.

The ink resistance was way too centralized. Centralization is the worst kind of thing in these kinds of games. There was no reason NOT to use it. It was just that good. Now hopefully people can still consider using it, but with other abilities in mind.
I disagree with the bolded. Ink Resist gave you an actual fighting chance in enemy ink, the 12% or whatever movement speed you have in enemy ink is far too low. There's already next to no way to dodge enemy shots in this game, and removing the one thing that allows you to maneuver in a firefight will only harm the game. If the enemy misses a shot or two on you, you are ultimately punished for their inaccuracy because you are basically forced to stand still in their ink.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I disagree with the bolded. Ink Resist gave you an actual fighting chance in enemy ink, the 12% or whatever movement speed you have in enemy ink is far too low. There's already next to no way to dodge enemy shots in this game, and removing the one thing that allows you to maneuver in a firefight will only harm the game. If the enemy misses a shot or two on you, you are ultimately punished for their inaccuracy because you are basically forced to stand still in their ink.
Well, there a couple things you can do though. Spray at your feet, spray towards an area to give you a better vantage point, and so on.

Here's my problem with what you are saying. The main focus of the game, isn't killing people. It's inking either the entire map, or a specific area.

It's more about running away than dodging. Running away and finding a better position to either continue inking turf, or to shoot the enemy.

Lastly, Ink Resist still exist. It just doesn't give you such a massive movement ability to where the ink on the ground is pointless, as well as damage reduction. This ability was too powerful. If you still want to dodge, you probably still can. But it just isn't so overpowered that everyone is now force to use it.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
The main focus of the game, isn't killing people. It's inking either the entire map, or a specific area.
The "problem" is killing people is probably the most effective way to secure the objective.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
Well, there a couple things you can do though. Spray at your feet, spray towards an area to give you a better vantage point, and so on.
Spraying ink at your feet mid-fight is not a good idea.

It's more about running away than dodging. Running away and finding a better position to either continue inking turf, or to shoot the enemy.
It's even more difficult to escape without Ink Resist than it is to just stay and fight.

Lastly, Ink Resist still exist. It just doesn't give you such a massive movement ability to where the ink on the ground is pointless, as well as damage reduction. This ability was too powerful. If you still want to dodge, you probably still can. But it just isn't so overpowered that everyone is now force to use it.
I'll concede somewhat on this. We don't know how much the ability is getting nerfed. I don't think it's bad that the ability is so powerful, as it makes the game as a whole better with it. Maybe the other shoe abilities could deal with a little bit of a buff instead.

The "problem" is killing people is probably the most effective way to secure the objective.
That's not so much of a problem. Killing is meaningful in every shooter, in an objective mode or not.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Wow. That is simply not fair. Granted, she did manage as well as she could but the turf numbers were just overwhelming in the end.

Hopefully the fix will give us some fairer matches.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Well that's why 1.3 changed Splatfest matchmaking so that even if it does happen that won't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom