• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Version 2.4.0 Coming Tomorrow

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Trying to imagine what areas could possibly be "prohibited." Really hoping it just means that they've done something to keep people from getting to 99 then dropping the rainmaker by their base and defending it there...Can't imagine why people are excited for this change.

Otherwise, I'm also wondering what these "certain shortcuts" are in museum. The possible paths for the rainmaker already seem limited enough in that map (I believe there are only three to get out of mid, then two to get up to the rainmaker pedestal).

All that aside, I am happy to hear that they're changing the way matchmaking is done a little, even though it's not really that necessary for turf wars (it is for splatfests though). I wonder if this means they'll determine matches by rank, because rank generally is a much better indicator of skill than level.

Fish_Goes_Moo

Inkster Jr.
Meh patch.

Still want latency based mm. I guess Nintendo is fine with EU players being condemed to having to mostly play with absurd 250+ ping (EU to Japan).

It's strange Nintendo keep rolling out fixes and changes for a more "pleasant" gaming experiance, yet do nothing about trying to keep latency down and pretty much condemn a region to forever have high ping.

Fish_Goes_Moo

Inkster Jr.
I'm from the EU, so will of course go from my perspective, but it judging from the forums, it seems like most NA players are happy with the current situation or prefer to play Japan and have a much lower ping to them anyway (140 on west coast I think, maybe 180 on east, still not really acceptable, but no where near as horrific as 250+).

But fine then, a slight change

It's ridiculous that it's 2015 and Nintendo refuse to implement an mm system that takes the most important factor for online gaming (latency) into account. But instead stick with one that puts people half a world away from each other into the same room.

Nintendo continually patch the game, make tweaks to matchmaking, have the balls to put "Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.", and yet think nothing of matching people 200ms+ with each other, rather than at least attempt to match people with a reasonable ping to each other, for the benefit of all players.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I live in the EU as well, however, I am in the States now for vacation and I've honestly had just about the same experience as I've had Germany. I mean, it's not terrible here, but there are some spikes that just make the game semi unplayable, much like I have had in Germany. So again, it's not just in EU.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
New update? Cool beans. I don't play Rainmaker too much, but if the changes make everything better then that works.

I'm surprised they haven't changed any of the weapons though. I might be mistaken, but hasn't every patch so far tweaked them bit by bit?

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
New update? Cool beans. I don't play Rainmaker too much, but if the changes make everything better then that works.

I'm surprised they haven't changed any of the weapons though. I might be mistaken, but hasn't every patch so far tweaked them bit by bit?
Maybe they don't think anything is too over- or under-powered now, though I'd disagree with them a little on that

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
And... what does that have to do with anything?
It wasn't a serious reply. The behind-the-lines meaning was "Here's a source if you can't get enough spontaneous out-of-context synchronized dance numbers." Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

All that aside, I am happy to hear that they're changing the way matchmaking is done a little, even though it's not really that necessary for turf wars (it is for splatfests though). I wonder if this means they'll determine matches by rank, because rank generally is a much better indicator of skill than level.
Rank doesn't necessarily determine how well you do in Turf War. My sister, for instance, refuses to touch Ranked if it isn't Tower Control, and even then she'd rather play Turf War, so as a result, she is approaching Level 40 but is still B-.

Fish_Goes_Moo

Inkster Jr.
I live in the EU as well, however, I am in the States now for vacation and I've honestly had just about the same experience as I've had Germany. I mean, it's not terrible here, but there are some spikes that just make the game semi unplayable, much like I have had in Germany. So again, it's not just in EU.
Did say in my second one that it should still be implemented as it would benefit everyone then (not just EU) and it's still absurd it's not taken into account.

And I'm not talking about spikes. I'm talking general latency, of course US players can still have lag to Japan. But a good connection in the US will still have much lower latency to Japan than one in the EU, due to being closer and having a direct route.

Even a perfect connection in EU to Japan will be 250ms give or take 20ms, nothing EU players can do about it and no way to match what US players can potentionally have to Japan.

If you can't tell the difference between 150ms and 250+, or even think 250 is acceptable as long as it doesn't spike, that's a different argument, but it's still silly for the mm not to take such an important factor into accout.

Last edited:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Somehow I feel that this whole prohibited area thing is gonna ruin rainmaker.
Hopefully it is just trying to stop people from camping, but I would be pretty angry if they are trying to nerf alternate routes. The fun of rainmaker is how fluid the objective is and all the ways to get to the goal. As with the shortcuts, I am guessing they are just unintended exploits or something.

At least glad we have better matchmaking for Splatfests.

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
Somehow I feel that this whole prohibited area thing is gonna ruin rainmaker.
I think the prohibited areas will make this game mode better. If only because players won't be constantly afraid of getting flanked when they have the rainmaker. We'll actually see some pushing and pulling as a team instead of a lot of gorilla tactics and lone wolfing.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
This update will definitely deter more and more people from cheap tactics (especially on saltspray) but people still have to be cautious when the RM is directly on top because people will focus a LOT more on trying to bring it on the crane anyway. But i'm sure people are getting smart about not actually splatting them on it. I remember the last time I tried to do the Kelp dome glitch, everyone waited at the middle.

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
This update will definitely deter more and more people from cheap tactics (especially on saltspray) but people still have to be cautious when the RM is directly on top because people will focus a LOT more on trying to bring it on the crane anyway. But i'm sure people are getting smart about not actually splatting them on it. I remember the last time I tried to do the Kelp dome glitch, everyone waited at the middle.
Oh yeah haha, I forgot about that cheap saltspray sh*t, but I have never heard of the kelp dome glitch?!?! :O

Anyone have a vid? I may want to try it before the patch.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Is the update already out? If so, where are the new danger zones on Saltspray Rig? Logically, the entire uppermost area would be one, including the crane.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Some people have already found out how the new Rainmaker zones will work. When you cross into a restricted zone, the game is going to make it painfully obvious to you that you need to get out now. The zones have large signs in front of them. The signs have a picture of the Rainmaker with a red circle over it and Inkling language - obviously telling you that the Rainmaker is not allowed.

If you should be stupid and cross that line anyway, you will get a message that says Rainmaker-Free Zone. It's in big, bold orange letters so it's not like you can miss the warning. If you are in the restricted area, the Rainmaker's timer will rapidly deplete until it explodes. When the Rainmaker explodes it will not stay in the restricted zone. It will automatically reset to the middle of the map again. In other words... There's no point in being "edgy" and going into these zones because you're going to die very quickly.

These are the restricted zones:

Saltspray Rig:
The large back area is prohibited (this should be obvious. People hiding the Rainmaker here is pretty much why we no longer see it in the rotation)

Walleye Warehouse: The left side of the platforms just before the large open area.

Flounder Heights: It is the small area to the immediate right of your spawn point.

Arowana Mall: It is the small cliff area to the immediate right of your spawn point.

This Tumblr post has photos
of the areas and this is a live stream showing the new restricted areas. Hopefully we'll see a comeback for Saltspray now that it's painfully obvious you aren't supposed to take the Rainmaker and hide it. *sigh*

Last edited:

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
No Inkzooka nerf? No latency fixes?

Well, at least I can dance my heart out before I get one-shotted by a cheap tornado outta nowhere

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
No Inkzooka nerf? No latency fixes?

Well, at least I can dance my heart out before I get one-shotted by a cheap tornado outta nowhere
The last one was fine. The fact that inkzookas can't panic button like kraken and bubbler now, makes them easier to notice and avoid. I've killed quite a few inkzookas because of this nerf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom