• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

"War on Christmas" Starbucks changes cups for the Holidays

Do you like the new look for the Holiday Cups?

• No, they make Christmas look bad!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
This is literally the first time I've seen what the cups actually look like. I've only heard people complain or complain about the complainers.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
...now I dunno about that. Maybe I'm too optimistic or something, but when you hear about stuff like these, it's more likely than not just a minority making a big deal out of nothing. Most of the reactions I've seen about this are ones of disbelief. I think most people realize this is a non-issue.
Lol. this is not the only thing that is taking the minds of Americans. The cup fiasco is stupid, that I'm sure we can all agree on. However, we can't deny that everyone and their mother feels that their opinion matters more. The ever lasting Race debacle , People and their ideals on guns, Hating the president because of his skin color/religion/whatever the hell they feel like today, Children beating elders, People killing people because of the color of their shirt, Police beating children etc. you get the point. Starbucks cups is the very least of America's problem. But, cups is what's on everyone's minds instead. Because as the generations go on, people seem to get dumber in the States. I'm living in Germany right now, and you know how often these things blow up? Never in the past 4 years, let's put it that way.

So, yes, America is on a slippery slope. The cups are just one more tiny notch in what makes the combined IQ of the US drop.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Hmm... I want to be careful about how and what I post here. I'm Christian, I believe in Jesus Christ, his virgin birth, sinless life, death and rebirth. I don't consider myself very religious. Jesus taught us this idea of "religion" is a bad practice, It's just going through the motions without think about the purpose behind it. Christmas is, at least in my opinion a perfect example of a "religious" holiday. It is never once mentioned in the bible, or decorated trees or wreaths or green red and white as a mandatory color scheme. Santa is not a person from the bible. And while I'm sure a lot of these ideas DID have very real meaning, and good intention they have become just things we do.
So I personally could careless about what color a cup is, that has nothing to do with faith in Christ.
But even if it did as Americans we have freedom of religious choice and freedom of speech. It is WELL within Starbucks' right to make that choice anyway. It does frustrates me however that the vocal minority becomes how everyone thinks of Christians.

However that said, the flip of that really frustrates me too. There are just as many what I'll call "Anti-religious" groups that force faith based ideology out of everything they can because they find those ideas offensive. That kind of double standard bothers me too. There are certain places in america where my child would get in trouble for praying in school, that blows my mind!

I could talk about God, faith, and religion for years, so if you have any questions I'll definitely entertain them privately since I think anymore here, I feel, would kind of gets off topic. But I felt like I'd be doing Christians like myself a disservice if I didn't type out some kind of response to this thread.
Look. I do wanna make one thing clear. I did not post this to bash on Christianity as a whole and I think a lot of us here are beyond doing something so childish too. But I do understand you point of view and I am happy that you are at least vocal on your opinion on this. No one should need to be scared to say what they feel. I'm just personally curious how others see this, which was the original intent of this. So I do apologize if it started sounding like a Religious Bashing Agenda.

But what about the cheap plastic cups that are red with white on the inside? It's just a cup, nothing more nothing less. If these particular Christians don't want to go to Starbucks for coffee because of the cups, oh well. Buy it from Dunkin Donuts/a convenience store/ or just make it at home lol.

This "political correctness" movement throughout 2015 is so trivial.
Exactly. This is like saying 'Fire is Hot' and then going to protest it for that sole reason. It one of those moments where you just loose brain cells when you hear asinine excuses for such a thing. It's a cup, nothing else.

Last edited:

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
@GeneraLight

A lot of the things school does teach ARE very faith based (believed without tangible proof). Kinds are taught things in school that have been proven false years ago, or taught ideas and theories as though they were fact. Just as an example the big bang, a comet killing all of the dinos, human evolution. These are all unproven ideas, but they are positioned in such a way that people and especially malleable children take it as fact. With modern science there is absolutely no way we can find out if any of those are true in spite of that however I can flip on my TV right now to a kids show that will tell children without any hesitation that a big rock hit the earth creating a cloud that the sun couldn't penetrate for years causing every large animal to die millions of years ago leaving behind bones turned to stone to be found a few score feet under the ground.

From my position it is frustrating because it seems like you can tell children anything true or not in school or public media as long as it isn't about a major religion.

Well I guess the news media presents ideas and speculation as fact as well to adults... so its not like it stops once you get out of school.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Gravity is also an "unproven idea". But there comes a point where it's hardly a theory anymore. They don't teach "God doesn't exist". They teach things that allow children to make up their own minds. However, when they get home, they are taught what to believe and think. The TV show showing your kids these "theories" is just like a Tax free building teaching God created the earth in 7 days.

What the entire point of it is, is simple. They supply the information, you decide what to do with it.

D

Deleted Member

Gravity is also an "unproven idea". But there comes a point where it's hardly a theory anymore. They don't teach "God doesn't exist". They teach things that allow children to make up their own minds. However, when they get home, they are taught what to believe and think. The TV show showing your kids these "theories" is just like a Tax free building teaching God created the earth in 7 days.

What the entire point of it is, is simple. They supply the information, you decide what to do with it.
But schools shouldn't supply you with inaccurate information.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
It's not inaccuracy as much as selective misinformation. The reasoning behind such things is pull in children without overbearing them. We teach only specific things that we know children can get a mental grip around and then let them expand upon that on their own terms. How they end up perceiving it is through personal choices and experiences. A lot of science behind teaching points to the use of such tactics. While on paper it may seem weird, in actuality it is more helpful to our learning process and mental growth. By teaching them the topic but purposefully leaving out certain details, it forces the curious minds of the taught to go explore more answers to what is taught to them and expand upon it accordingly.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Such as? That isn't anything but the schools curriculum at fault. If your school/or children's school teaches that 2+2=8 then yes, they shouldn't be teaching, and your kids shouldn't be taking what they say seriously. However, when scientific theories which are backed by scientific evidence are taught, they are not "inaccurate".

So with that, I ask, what does "inaccurate" consist of?

Because just because you think the theory of Evolution or Gravity, or the Big Bang Theory is "inaccurate" that doesn't make it so.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I'm a Christian and I believe in Jesus Christ and everything with the religion, it's how I was raised and I plan on offering my prayers whenever necessary. Doesn't mean I agree with how other Christians are going about our religion, some are rather brutal with it and I don't agree with that. I guess I'm an easy going guy, but I plan on showing my faith in the form of love, so I'm always against Christians who use it for fear and power.

I mean, it's just a cup. I swear, some just want the media's attention, and they clearly got it. But I look at this and shake my head in disbelief on how someone can take something as harmless as a color of a cup and twist it into "War on Christmas". The world we live in, eh?

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
This is on par with someone suing Starbucks because the customer spilled hot coffee on himself.

Honestly, boycotting Starbucks just because of this is just really silly.

Donald Trump commented on this, also says if he's president, "Everyone will be saying Merry Christmas" . Here's a (CNN) link if you want to check it out.

D

Deleted Member

Such as? That isn't anything but the schools curriculum at fault. If your school/or children's school teaches that 2+2=8 then yes, they shouldn't be teaching, and your kids shouldn't be taking what they say seriously. However, when scientific theories which are backed by scientific evidence are taught, they are not "inaccurate".

So with that, I ask, what does "inaccurate" consist of?

Because just because you think the theory of Evolution or Gravity, or the Big Bang Theory is "inaccurate" that doesn't make it so.
Evolution and gravity aren't theories. Both actually exist. The Big Bang Theory is just that: a theory. It hasn't been proven, therefore you can't say with certainty that it actually happened.

D

Deleted Member

Evolution and Gravity are also theories, they can not be proven like how the Earth is not flat, or the Earth is Hollow. It is a theory until it is undeniably proven otherwise. Since as of now, there is no scientific method to prove these are the case, they are still "theories".
Gravity is a law. Whether you want to accept it or not, evolution and gravity exist and are real. Evolution can be as small and simple as bacteria becoming resistant to pharmaceutical drugs over time, or macro evolution in which case new species branch off of a common ancestor over the course of a millennia to millions of years. Gravity is the force that attracts a body toward the center of the earth, or toward any other physical body having mass. This can be readily observed and tested by anyone.

Why are we even talking about this? The thread is about the color of Starbucks Coffee cups.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultimate Mayhem

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MechanicalDoom
I saw those at Starbucks and thought they looked kinda nice. Since you're used to seeing the normal white cups, red ones really stand out. I thought it was a good idea myself, but of course the Christian Justice Warriors are gonna try to make this sound like some sort of attack on God or something. I'm ashamed to call myself a believer when stuff like this happens. You guys could be out there helping the homeless or something, but instead, you cry over Starbucks having red cups. I thought red was a Christmas color? I'm pretty sure the reason they went with a regular old red was for those people who don't celebrate Christmas. It's just.. Dude.. The ignorance is way too high.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
I think it's a shame their drinks are so pricey lol I would be more offended by that.
With that being said I think people responded without thinking. Now that things have been brought to light you don't see anyone complaining anymore.

I think it was an awesome publicity stunt by Starbucks. So props to their marketing team. I refuse to buy drinks from there even if it was paid for by someone else.

And I appreciate that there are still some Christians who are aware that Santa and all that jazz has really nothing to do with their religion not Jesus. Just like this cup has nothing to do with it.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Just goes to show that any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company.

All we have to do is stop giving idiots attention. And record deals. And reality TV shows. And stop acknowledging their existence altogether. That, or we can put them all in a zoo and poke them with sticks every weekend.

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
I've always loved statements like these. They're so amazingly passive aggressive. We aren't "complaining". Since when did pointing out the idiotic aspect of a group become "complaining"? Is telling someone their argument is stupid a complaint? Or is it someone pointing out a flaw in the logic used? People aren't "complaining" they are hoping to prove how absolutely stupid these people that believe this is an attack on Christmas are.

There's a huge difference between the two.
So if someone has a different belief or view about something you do not agree with is an "idiotic aspect of a group?" Boy that seems awfully passive aggressive to me.

My point was that getting all worked up over the lack of Christmas on a cup is ridiculous. There are plenty of other 'attacks on Christianity' (dont think the cup decor of lack there of has anything to do with god) that are worth fighting over. Also everyone that has a problem with the cup of starbucks are feeding the trolls and are not much different. I think you are wrong and are stupid is what 'you' are basically saying.

Personally I am agnostic but have no problem with any religion as long as you are not in my face or cause harm in the name of 'god.'

As for the whole school issue that's another thread but I think South Park has pretty much nailed what a lot of schools look like now a days this season.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
This is especially funny when you consider how much certain religions are supposed to be against materialism and above pettiness. Oh my goodness me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom