• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

"War on Christmas" Starbucks changes cups for the Holidays

Do you like the new look for the Holiday Cups?

• No, they make Christmas look bad!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So if someone has a different belief or view about something you do not agree with is an "idiotic aspect of a group?" Boy that seems awfully passive aggressive to me.
Lol, what? I didn't say anything of that nature. Way to take my words as far out of context as possible.

I was speaking about this belief that Starbucks making these cups a solid red color is somehow an attack on Christianity. THAT is idiotic. I said nothing about the belief in a God or grand deity as being idiotic. Way to paint me as the bad guy lol.

@GeneraLight, I'll respond to that when I get off work. I'll explain how that's only partially correct.

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
Lol, what? I didn't say anything of that nature. Way to take my words as far out of context as possible.

I was speaking about this belief that Starbucks making these cups a solid red color is somehow an attack on Christianity. THAT is idiotic. I said nothing about the belief in a God or grand deity as being idiotic. Way to paint me as the bad guy lol.

@GeneraLight, I'll respond to that when I get off work. I'll explain how that's only partially correct.
I never said you were saying anything about belief of god... My point is that no matter how silly it is some people feel that a red cup is some sort of attack against their religion. Its a way out there argument with out a doubt but apparently they feel strongly about it and you disagree with it calling it idiotic. Thats all.
I disagree with the disagreement of the disagreeing.

Edit: "Their" belief is that for some reason a solid red cup is against 'them.' That was the 'belief' I was talking about.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I never said you were saying anything about belief of god... My point is that no matter how silly it is some people feel that a red cup is some sort of attack against their religion. Its a way out there argument with out a doubt but apparently they feel strongly about it and you disagree with it calling it idiotic. Thats all.
I disagree with the disagreement of the disagreeing.

Edit: "Their" belief is that for some reason a solid red cup is against 'them.' That was the 'belief' I was talking about.
Alright, I have no idea what the hell you are trying to argue anymore. We both agree this fiasco is ridiculous, I am more loud with it than you, but we agree there. Whether some people actually believe that it is an attack on their faith is irrelevant. It is idiotic to think a Religious Neutral company is purposely trying to attack a single religion. THAT is idiotic. It is idiotic to believe that a company is going out of their way to make a small group of people upset because of their belief. When in actuality, it shouldn't upset anyone. It is idiotic to think that Starbucks are these raging atheists that are out to scorn Christians for believing what they do. . . by changing the color of a damn cup.
If you don't think that is idiotic. You are doing one of two things, denying the obvious, or being passive aggressive about it. I wasn't being passive aggressive at all, and that was my point. There was no ambiguity behind my statement. I was simply calling it as it was.

Now, @GeneraLight, I see where the confusion lies, so, I'll try to make this quick and painless.
As much as I'd love to believe Gravity is in fact a law. It's not. Yes, Gravity exists, we witness it every day. There is no arguing that. However, that is not the theory. The theory is why Gravity exists. There is no 100% for certain reason as to why Gravity exists. There are very reasonable, and applicable theories behind why it exists. However, they are not 100% conclusive. Which is why it is still considered a theory.
The same applies to Evolution. Yes, we can see things adapt on a daily basis. Hell, I was born without Wisdom teeth because I am further along the Evolutionary chain (lucky me). However, there is no 100% conclusive evidence that we came from an ancestor species. There are well thought out and reasonable theories, but it can not be proven that we are in fact a product of evolution. If we were, there would be no reason to have a good 1/4 of the religions we do now.

In short, until a theory can be 100% proven; i.e the Earth is a sphere, the Earth is not hollow, the list goes on, it is a Theory.

As far as why we are discussing this, you can ask yourself that.

Also, "who ever" is editing my posts to reflect their points on the matter, I'd love it if you stopped.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

@GeneraLight, I see where the confusion lies, so, I'll try to make this quick and painless.
As much as I'd love to believe Gravity is in fact a law. It's not. Yes, Gravity exists, we witness it every day. There is no arguing that. However, that is not the theory. The theory is why Gravity exists. There is no 100% for certain reason as to why Gravity exists. There are very reasonable, and applicable theories behind why it exists. However, they are not 100% conclusive. Which is why it is still considered a theory.
The same applies to Evolution. Yes, we can see things adapt on a daily basis. Hell, I was born without Wisdom teeth because I am further along the Evolutionary chain (lucky me). However, there is no 100% conclusive evidence that we came from an ancestor species. There are well thought out and reasonable theories, but it can not be proven that we are in fact a product of evolution. If we were, there would be no reason to have a good 1/4 of the religions we do now.

In short, until a theory can be 100% proven; i.e the Earth is a sphere, the Earth is not hollow, the list goes on, it is a Theory.
I'm not arguing why it exists. Sure, why it exists could just be a theory. But I'm just stating that it in itself is a law of physics.

Also, there is TONS of evidence showing that homo sapiens (humans) evolved from primates. Extremely similar anatomy, DNA and bone structure. You cannot deny. Feel free to believe what you want, but just know that the science is out there.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I'm not arguing why it exists. Sure, why it exists could just be a theory. But I'm just stating that it in itself is a law of physics.

Also, there is TONS of evidence showing that homo sapiens (humans) evolved from primates. Extremely similar anatomy, DNA and bone structure. You cannot deny. Feel free to believe what you want, but just know that the science is out there.

You can't pick and choose parts of the theory. . . The law part is that Gravity pulls us down towards the Earth, the theory is why. That is what prevents it from being considered a "Law" unfortunately. I'm not denying it's existence, I am not denying the fact it should be considered a Law. It is just unfortunately, for now, still a theory.

"TONS of evidence" sadly still doesn't "prove" it as fact. I believe in Evolution as well. However, scientifically speaking, it is still a theory. Stop trying to make it seem like you know everything lol, considering this is ALL I study, I think I know what I'm talking about. I believe in Evolution, I know the science behind it. Either way, it is still a theory. Whether you believe it is or not does not change that.

I agree they shouldn't be "theories" but my opinion and yours doesn't make a difference in the end.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I think we have a bit of a language barrier here. Gravity/gravitation is both a law and theory. A scientific law merely states a phenomenon exists. A theory is a confirmed explanation of that phenomenon that is subject to change should new information arise. Evolution is also a theory, but that's not the same thing as saying it's unproven. It means that enough evidence supports it that experts accept it as the explanation for how man came to be until the same amount and quality of evidence contradicts it.

Oddly enough, most conflicts between science and religion/faith based teaching stem from either accidental or intentional misinterpretation of what each side is saying followed up with a refusal to acknowledge that one side may have misunderstood the other. Fun fact: the perceived rift between science and religion didn't exist to any significant extent until the 19th Century when people from both camps wanted to sell books explaining that Science and Religion were incompatible. Thanks, 19th Century authors. We really appreciate it.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Stories like this is the reason why I don't take religious groups (mainly Christians) seriously. Heck, this is also the reason why everyone outside of the US don't treat us seriously because of these morons. I know not all Christians are bad people, but some of them really get on my nerves due to making small things like the color of a cup so trivial. We're talking about the same type of people that think something like Pokemon is Satanic here. This year seems to be the worst when it comes to how awful American society is in recent years.

For the color of the cups, they look alright to me. Nothing much to say anything else about it. If the cups were green, then I'd say the religious groups will get into a hissy fit over it, too.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Poll on a issue.png

Here are the results so far on the poll, not that you couldn't check yourself. I wanna thank everyone who has voted and voiced their opinion up to this point. From the looks of it, this news about the cup's change was either welcomed or inconsequential to most. I'm happy to see people have an open mind to discuss this topic and keep it fairly clean.

As for my final thoughts on this topic. I do not mind the new look with cup, though the cup itself doesn't matter as much as the quality of the coffee put in it. A lot who are coffee drinkers here would agree with me on this. The fact that this got attention so much is kinda stupid, but when people can discuss what they think about it, it can serve a bit of a critical thinking exercise for us. On some level it can show where we stand and what we believe. This is something that allows others to see who you are from what you talk about.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria

Here are the results so far on the poll, not that you couldn't check yourself. I wanna thank everyone who has voted and voiced their opinion up to this point. From the looks of it, this news about the cup's change was either welcomed or inconsequential to most. I'm happy to see people have an open mind to discuss this topic and keep it fairly clean.

As for my final thoughts on this topic. I do not mind the new look with cup, though the cup itself doesn't matter as much as the quality of the coffee put in it. A lot who are coffee drinkers here would agree with me on this. The fact that this got attention so much is kinda stupid, but when people can discuss what they think about it, it can serve a bit of a critical thinking exercise for us. On some level it can show where we stand and what we believe. This is something that allows others to see who you are from what you talk about.
In the end, it's about the coffee, not what it's put in. Starbucks is great for a cup of joe that I can't make myself at home. I'm not going to let a couple of angry Christians get in the way of my coffee.

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
Alright, I have no idea what the hell you are trying to argue anymore. We both agree this fiasco is ridiculous, I am more loud with it than you, but we agree there. Whether some people actually believe that it is an attack on their faith is irrelevant. It is idiotic to think a Religious Neutral company is purposely trying to attack a single religion. THAT is idiotic. It is idiotic to believe that a company is going out of their way to make a small group of people upset because of their belief. When in actuality, it shouldn't upset anyone. It is idiotic to think that Starbucks are these raging atheists that are out to scorn Christians for believing what they do. . . by changing the color of a damn cup.
If you don't think that is idiotic. You are doing one of two things, denying the obvious, or being passive aggressive about it. I wasn't being passive aggressive at all, and that was my point. There was no ambiguity behind my statement. I was simply calling it as it was.
My point is that its just as bad to argue with such fervor about the cup issue as it is to worry about the cup in the first place. As much crap that is going on lately worrying about a christmas cup is ridiculous and getting all worked up about that handful of wack jobs is one in the same I think.

We will not see eye to eye on this. Ive read your post and understand your point of view and mine differ. I didnt know disagreeing with someone is passive aggressive so I learned one thing at least. Oh wait am I being passive aggressive again? Whatevers. No hard feelings my friend as they say lets agree to disagree.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
In the end, it's about the coffee, not what it's put in. Starbucks is great for a cup of joe that I can't make myself at home. I'm not going to let a couple of angry Christians get in the way of my coffee.
Honestly, I'd be more offended by the fact that they don't have an honest medium sized cup. Your choices are either small, small + 2 tablespoons, and huge.

That, and one time I asked for a sencha tea and they gave me chamomile. Plebs.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
We will not see eye to eye on this. Ive read your post and understand your point of view and mine differ. I didnt know disagreeing with someone is passive aggressive so I learned one thing at least. Oh wait am I being passive aggressive again? Whatevers. No hard feelings my friend as they say lets agree to disagree.
Lol, I feel like I'm having a debate with a child. . . Sigh. . .

Do you know what being passive aggressive means? When you say "X is ridiculous, but not idiotic" you are being passive aggressive. Disagreeing with me does not make you passive aggressive. Saying things in a certain way to avoid any backlash from either side is being passive aggressive. So, maybe you should take that with you instead of your snide remarks.

Regardless, now we'd just be arguing semantics, so we can move on from here. We've derailed from the original topic, enough with the Red Herrings.

Last edited:

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
Lol, I feel like I'm having a debate with a child. . . Sigh. . .

Do you know what being passive aggressive means? When you say "X is ridiculous, but not idiotic" you are being passive aggressive. Disagreeing with me does not make you passive aggressive. Saying things in a certain way to avoid any backlash from either side is being passive aggressive. So, maybe you should take that with you instead of your snide remarks.

Regardless, now we'd just be arguing semantics, so we can move on from here. We've derailed from the original topic, enough with the Red Herrings.

So if I fell something is ridiculous but do not feel its idiotic I am passive aggressive....Not taking a side of an argument I feel is dumb on both sides I am passive aggressive also. Roger that.

Shout louder and make insults to prove your point of view is the right one. Trust me ain't worried about no backlash.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So if I fell something is ridiculous but do not feel its idiotic I am passive aggressive....Not taking a side of an argument I feel is dumb on both sides I am passive aggressive also. Roger that.

Shout louder and make insults to prove your point of view is the right one. Trust me ain't worried about no backlash.
. . .
Considering Ridiculous is essentially a synonym for idiotic, just, less aggressive. . . Yes, it is passive aggressive.
Again, I''m not going to argue semantics with you. So, calm down, and move on. However, before I bid you adieu, I'm not so sure telling the truth can equate to insulting, but I digress, and shout louder? Coming from the one getting worked up I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Now, You enjoy the rest of your day, and try to not take things to heart so much. . .

Last edited:

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
. . .
Considering Ridiculous is essentially a synonym for idiotic, just, less aggressive. . . Yes, it is passive aggressive.
Again, I''m not going to argue semantics with you. So, calm down, and move on. However, before I bid you adieu, I'm not so sure telling the truth can equate to insulting, but I digress, and shout louder? Coming from the one getting worked up I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Now, You enjoy the rest of your day, and try to not take things to heart so much. . .

Next time we chat I will make sure I lay on the floor so its easier to talk down to me. I think you are flattering yourself if you think I am getting worked up over this. Just bored at work and figured a little banter on the squidboards would kill some time. Didnt think it would get so 'deep.' *shrugs*

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Next time we chat I will make sure I lay on the floor so its easier to talk down to me. I think you are flattering yourself if you think I am getting worked up over this. Just bored at work and figured a little banter on the squidboards would kill some time. Didnt think it would get so 'deep.' *shrugs*
Lol, if you say so. Mmk, well, glad I could entertain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom