Splatoon 2 Weapon "tiers" (not really) Splatoon 2 month 1.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
A little explanation here:

This list isn't a tier list, as we are too early for tiers, but instead this is an observation of what weapons have been performing well in high level Japanese League, Western League, and Western Tournaments at the point of Inkstorm+

In case anyone wants my qualifications:
Of the two major western tournaments so far, G7 and Inkstorm+, I commentated G7 and competed in Inkstorm+. I am S+ in every mode and have about 30 gold league medals, including 1st place finishes NA and worldwide and gold in Japanese leagues (have an aussie host during Japan peak times). I am close to many other high level players and have taken their input into account as well, and I have many top-8 tournament finishes in Splat 1 including 1st place in a major.

KEEP IN MIND: I just said all of this ****y stuff to show that I am immersed in and am witnessing what the best teams are using, but I don't like being ****y so focus on me being experienced and not be showing off.. thanks lol

Some things to note:

• This is an observation of what was used up until Inkstorm+, NOT what was/is good and NOT what is/will be good in the future. I am simply reporting trends at the highest levels of play.
  • A weapon not being as high as you'd place it doesn't mean the weapon is bad, it only means that it's not seeing that much representation this early on in the process of good players learning the game.
  • The basic team comp seen so far has been: 3 close range, one mid range. Pick a special and stack more than one. Slayers get Ink Resist / Bomb Defense / Swim Speed and Supports get Special Charge on a weapon that paints well + gets that special quickly.
  • Dapple w/ object shreder (RM), Firefin (SZ) = niche picks.
  • Luna is pretty much only there because of EXT Kagu lol
  • Heavy is barely on this list (but it got buffed after that so... yay).
The reason I am posting this here is because I think it illustrates pretty well the way that the learning process of high level play shaped up leading up to the first significant Western tournament in this game's early development. I know there are a lot of makeshift tier lists floating around and they tend to be misinformation so I wanted to make a list that accurately represents what actually happened in high level play during month 1 instead of trying to argue if weapons are or will be good or bad.

With that in mind, before you respond remember that comments like "I saw more Octobrushes in solo queue," "Tri Slosher is bullshit and deserves a tier of its own," and "I think that Dualie Squelchers are very strong but people just haven't learned them yet" don't make sense in the context of this list being an observation of the highest level of play during month 1 and indicate that you have't listened to what I said, so I will most likely dismiss similar comments as such.

I hope that this helps you think about strategy and think about how you and your competitive team can take what you want to get good at and make it viable in the current trends and beyond. I hope that this also is something players can look back at a year or two from now and remember how silly the launch window meta was =P Enjoy!

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
My initial thoughts after making this list is that Octobrush and Splash-o-matic may see a rise in use in the upcoming weeks as they have just became candidates for stacking special charge on Inkjet weapons, as Emperry just went from 170 -> 200 while Octo and Splash are still at 180 and paint almost as well.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Thanks for bringing us a list that actually has some data behind it! My only surprise is the lack of .96 Gal. Btw Splat Dualies also got a range increase so I wouldn't call it a nerf rather a rebalance.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Thanks for bringing us a list that actually has some data behind it! My only surprise is the lack of .96 Gal. Btw Splat Dualies also got a range increase so I wouldn't call it a nerf rather a rebalance.
Thanks!

96 isn't used much for 3 reasons. #1, it had old 96 RNG and is very unreliable at pulling its weight in combat at what is supposed to be mid range. #2, despite having sprinkler other armor weapons spam armor more often. #3, mid range weapons in general weren't used by the end of the first month aside from rapid, mini, and jet (mostly rapid) and 96 just kinda loses when it has to be the mid-range vs those weapons

The only reason Emperry was being used was because of Inkzooka spam, without that there's little reason to use it as it kinda becomes a worse Ttek at that point.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Thanks!

96 isn't used much for 3 reasons. #1, it had old 96 RNG and is very unreliable at pulling its weight in combat at what is supposed to be mid range. #2, despite having sprinkler other armor weapons spam armor more often. #3, mid range weapons in general weren't used by the end of the first month aside from rapid, mini, and jet (mostly rapid) and 96 just kinda loses when it has to be the mid-range vs those weapons

The only reason Emperry was being used was because of Inkzooka spam, without that there's little reason to use it as it kinda becomes a worse Ttek at that point.
Hmm when you put it that way yeah I guess it is a nerf. I take it tourney players see no value in the dodge roll? I suppose the L-3D will also meet a similar fate then, be used for it's 180p Inkjets (not Inkzooka lel) until the inevitable points for special nerf, making people go back to TTeks yet again.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Thanks for the list, Hitzel. Can I ask for some pro thoughts on the Jet? That's my main, I'm glad it's in the meta now but that just means I gotta step up my game.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Thanks!

I think the biggest thing is that the nozzlenoses and gals aren't bad, it's just that there are better options. I think the buffs for the gals are inevitable tho. I think they need a range increase, because they are not supposed to be slayers. People either try to play .96 like a squelcher or a pro, and it's neither. It is somewhere in between, and it is a punishing support imo.

Also coming from a rapid main, leaving squiffer off the list is criminal. It destroys rapid! U are outranged by them, and if u hit them first, they can trade. The skill level to play an atleast competent squiffer is extremely high, and that is why you don't see many compared to rapid/pro/squelcher. Also u can have two rapids on a team, but you can't have two squiffers.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Wow, so every weapon with Ink Armor other than the Squiffer (recent release) and the .96 (discussed above) are on the Overperformed list. Clearly that special needs another look. I foresee the Custom Dualie Squelchers getting a lot of love when it comes out. Possibly the Rapid Pro Deco and the Hydra as well. Probably the Rapid Pro as well--Suction Bombs and Inkjets are clearly popular choices. And I bet the Heavy Deco will make the cut, too--the normal Heavy made the list even as the only Sprinkler and the only Sting Ray--although that'll depend on how useful the Bubble Blower ends up being.

I'm surprised to not see the Splattershot Pro on there at all, I see it present in a fair number of tournament games.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Thanks; this is really helpful.

I was just wondering why the SSPro isn't on that list (maybe it is and I just missed it), because you said the Luna was just there because of one person, and I'm pretty sure that more than one player uses the Pro to a high standard (most prominently ThatSRB2Dude).

Just wondering though

Edit: Also another question; why hasn't the .96 Gal been used in tournament purely for ink armour spam (it has the spninkler)?

Is it just that Nzap and Tri Slosher are better options?

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Edit: Also another question; why hasn't the .96 Gal been used in tournament purely for ink armour spam (it has the spninkler)?

Is it just that Nzap and Tri Slosher are better options?
He answered that question in one of his posts above regarding the .96 Gal:

Thanks!

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Hmm when you put it that way yeah I guess it is a nerf. I take it tourney players see no value in the dodge roll? I suppose the L-3D will also meet a similar fate then, be used for it's 180p Inkjets (not Inkzooka lel) until the inevitable points for special nerf, making people go back to TTeks yet again.
L3D is looking really strong even if its special meter gets nerfed, simply because it is going to paint extremely well and make good use of the Burst Bomb combo. Consider this damage calc from splat 1:

0 damage-up L3D 3-Round Burst + Burst Bomb vs 2m9s defense + bomb sniffer enemy = more than 100 damage with: burst bomb direct + 2 bullets OR burst bomb indirect + 3 bullets.

Take a moment to think about what that means. In Splatoon 1, running 100% damage up AND bomb sniffer affected the L3 itself and doubly affected Burst Bombs, yet it was not enough to stop the 2-hit combo from doing its job. In Splat 2 Bomb Defense only affects the Burst Bomb ─ the L3 will always do max damage. This makes the L3D ripe to be the single most bomb defense-resistant Burst Bomb weapon in Splat 2, meaning that the L3D has potential to be a disproportionately effective painter for its long range while also maintaining enough slaying power to be relevant. As long as Inkjet doesn't get nerfed into the ground entirely, that makes the weapon something to keep an eye on.

The dodge roll on Dualies is definitely something strong but right now both Dualies and Emperries compete directly with Mini and Ttek which are very strong and have longer range and more reliable accuracy, so Dualie is in a hard spot right now.

...thoughts on the Jet? That's my main, I'm glad it's in the meta now but that just means I gotta step up my game.
The Jet is strong because it is a weapon with longer range than all of the other mid range shooters while still being a shooter. This sounds obvious but what this means is that it can play the part of a charger or Splatling and also be able to "go in" whenever it pleases. What the best jets are doing right now is doing the intuitive backline stuff, but when they see a teammate about to be aggressive they move up with them, help get the kill(s), and immediately fall back to being the backline. This sets them apart from chargers and Heavy while their range sets them apart from the mid range rifles like Pro and 96 etc.

I think the biggest thing is that the nozzlenoses and gals aren't bad, it's just that there are better options....

Also coming from a rapid main, leaving squiffer off the list is criminal.
The gals and nozzlenoses we currently have simply are outclassed or don't have good kits. We'll see how 96 Deco and L3D perform.

Squiffer came out the night before Inkstorm+, so it's not really considered for this list based on that alone. Since then I have not seen anything that indicates the Squiffer is performing well (and there are good Squiffer uses out there trust me), but I do think that Squiffer's optimal role will be on a team that paints well and has splash damage where the Squiffer can slay like crazy once given map control. This is sorta like CRB in SPlat 1 but... Squiffer isn't a CRB so it's a sorta indefensible argument.

Wow, so every weapon with Ink Armor other than the Squiffer (recent release) and the .96 (discussed above) are on the Overperformed list. Clearly that special needs another look. I foresee the...
Armor is good, definitely, but some of the other specials simply don't have good weapons released for them yet.

As for future armor weapons, the one looking the most threatening is the RPD. Curling bombs build a ton of meter and Rapid may be the best weapon in the game right now, so getting one that spams armors like a Jr is a pretty scary thought.

For example, go pick L3 and wear 3 mains of special charge (a little bomb range on top doesn't hurt. Go in the firing range and throw 3 Curling Bombs in 3 different directions, then look at how much your special bar has filled up. Kinda crazy. Now imagine some ink recovery / ink saver sub on that on an armor weapon. Yikes.

As far as Heavy Deco goes, I too think it will be really strong. It is looking to be a frightening Wall abuser without losing painting power or map control (in fact it will probably get more of that!) and it also looks to synergize with the special. I suppose it all depends on how strong Blower is.

I'm surprised to not see the Splattershot Pro on there at all, I see it present in a fair number of tournament games.
Thanks; this is really helpful.

I was just wondering why the SSPro isn't on that list (maybe it is and I just missed it), because you said the Luna was just there because of one person, and I'm pretty sure that more than one player uses the Pro to a high standard (most prominently ThatSRB2Dude).
You're welcome bro! and thanks

I more attribute Dude doing well with the pro to him being a good player that simply enjoys using the weapon, especially when he's been performing with Jet and some other more "meta" weapons at the same time. Dude was known to use things like Neo Sploosh and Custom Blaster in tournament and do well with them in Splat 1, despite them not being anywhere relevant in the tier lists. Good flex slayers can take any weapon and make the best use of it when its niche is there, but that doesn't make those weapons high tier.

Kagu on the other hand only used Luna and slayed like crazy with it. He didn't just do well, he top scored like every game. Clearly an indicator that the Luna is a capable main slaying weapon when given map control, which is exactly what the rest of EXT was doing. It was convincing enough to include Luna as a footnote from Kagu's performances.

As for 96, look above for my comments on that. TLDR it doesn't perform in the matchup vs other ranged weapons and other armor weapons spam better and do better in combat.

---

Fun responses guys, keep them up.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Thanks for your input, Hitzel! I kinda do that already so I just need to get better at it :D I'm gonna save your advice for later, that's a great way to explain the Jet to people.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
[QUOTE="Hitzel, post: 237619, member:

---

Fun responses guys, keep them up.[/QUOTE]
Random I know, but I just played u in 4 player league, I was the rapid blaster. But it depends on the weapon u play I supppose. Because I play rapid and it gets destroyed by squiffer in a 1v1 situation. So it might not seem as strong to u because u play ttek? But yeah I guess this is a popularity tier list? Because a weapon's viability should be based somewhat on visible theory of its potential. Like my Luna ain't too bad either and I've faced Kagu a lot, but I prefer rapid. Like there are a lot of times I feel like Dude is picking pro but he could just as easily pick squiffer With the same results (due to his charger like aim).

Last edited:

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Given on how the Heavy Splatling was on this list, how often was the Stingray special utilized from those Splatling players (because I have seen some players go throughout most of the match without using the special once)?

Do you think the Stingray special can have an impact in high level play or is it just a liability for the most part with few niche uses (and if you think it is a liability how would you improve the special to make it more reliable like most of the other specials in game)?

How do you feel about some of the future weapons with the Stingray special and whether or not they will have any sort of roll in high level play? (The Custom Range Blaster and the Custom Jet Squelcher come into mind)

Anyway, thanks for the info Hitzel. ;)

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
for example this was on league moments ago. Tillpwa on my team used pro almost exclusively and he is a ttek main. Yeah he is good vs other high end S+ players which should imply the weapon is atleast averageIMG_6680.PNG

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
You're welcome bro! and thanks

I more attribute Dude doing well with the pro to him being a good player that simply enjoys using the weapon, especially when he's been performing with Jet and some other more "meta" weapons at the same time. Dude was known to use things like Neo Sploosh and Custom Blaster in tournament and do well with them in Splat 1, despite them not being anywhere relevant in the tier lists. Good flex slayers can take any weapon and make the best use of it when its niche is there, but that doesn't make those weapons high tier.

Kagu on the other hand only used Luna and slayed like crazy with it. He didn't just do well, he top scored like every game. Clearly an indicator that the Luna is a capable main slaying weapon when given map control, which is exactly what the rest of EXT was doing. It was convincing enough to include Luna as a footnote from Kagu's performances.

As for 96, look above for my comments on that. TLDR it doesn't perform in the matchup vs other ranged weapons and other armor weapons spam better and do better in combat.

---

Fun responses guys, keep them up.
Just out of curiosity, are there any other players besides Kagu who use the Luna blaster in S2?

I was having a conversation with my 2 friends (about S1) and one of them said 'SRL Albino is proof that the Bamboozler is high tier'.

(For those of you who don't know, Albino played the Bamboozler to an impressively high standard)

Then my other friend was like 'if only one player can use it well, then that's not a sign that the weapon is good, it's just a sign that that player is really really good.'

So yeah
Just wondering.

Also are you the guy that runs tons of quick respawn (in S1 I think it was referred to as 'doing a Hitzel'?) or is that someone else?

Thanks!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Interesting read!

Do you think splat chargers and e4k will eventually become more vital for team comps? Did people pick on average the scoped or no-scoped variants?

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Surprised that Splattershot Pro isn't on the list. My guess is that TTK and Tri forced it as a niche weapon, where the Jet already outclasses it? Maybe now that the Forge has been released we'll see more SSP, especially in TC.

I was having a conversation with my 2 friends (about S1) and one of them said 'SRL Albino is proof that the Bamboozler is high tier'.

(For those of you who don't know, Albino played the Bamboozler to an impressively high standard)
This is imo and not entirely relevant, but I honestly think that Bamboozler MK III was one of the best weapons no one knew about since it came so late in the meta. I think if it was released earlier we would've seen far more use of it in Solo Queue and in tournaments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom