1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Weapon Viability Thread Mk. 1 (Phase 1: S Rank and A Rank discussion)

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Of Moose & Men, Oct 26, 2015.

1. StaffofSmashing

StaffofSmashing Senior Squid

NNID:
    Lolu83
    Here's my stance on the Kraken Roller; If you know hoe to use it, assassinating everyone, getting kills, trading etc, then you are set as a suicide attacker. The Krakon Roller though, shares the problem of most people arent very good with it. The Inkstorm players were gods with it, lets not deny anything. I still think it's outdone by the Splat Roller because range, but that doesnt mean the Krakon Roller isnt a terrible weapon. As FLC said in one of his streams "You can play any weapon like a Krak-On Roller and still do well with it"

2. seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    kathrynmc92
    It was inevitable. Your thread isn't the first tier list to crash and burn and it won't be the last. Pros will be the ones who actually establish a tier list (assuming Splatoon even needs one). I mean come on, Splatoon doesn't even have a meta (that I'm aware of) so how can you even make a tier list when their are no clearly defined rolls? There is a huge difference between an A+ level assassin weapon and an A+ level support weapon.

Anyway, debating was fun and all but I think I'm as done with this thread as you are.
    I'll have to check them out, it's always interesting to see great off meta plays. Yesterday I found this amazing Japanese Sploosh player! It's crazy what some people can do.

Though it probably won't change my mind, one team that utilizes it well doesn't imply it's more viable than other weapons. There are chargers that play with sticks and do pretty well! but I'd never personally advocate it.

(If you had a link to a game, I would much appreciate it!)
    I agree with you that any weapon can be used well, but of course this is a tier list thread so if we are going by that philosophy we might as well rip up the tier list. Which for Splatoon might not be a bad idea. Tier lists can sometimes flip on their heads to.

Like in Smash Bros Melee. where Captian Falcon was considered bottom tier, but than a pro player figured out some interesting things they could do with him and Captian Falcon became top tier.

Who knows, maybe years from now every pro team will have an Inkbrush or Aerospray because the high amount of inking becomes an assest despite low kill potential. May seem far fetched, but stranger things have happened.

#62 seakingtheonixpected, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. Hinichii.ez.™

Hinichii.ez.™ Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?

NNID:
    Hinichii
    You have to be at one of those lone beakons, to actually get kills off of them. You also need be on it, like you would a super jump icon, except, you have to take some time away from the fight, and look at angle that leaves you open to anyone near you. You will rarely get kills off of SJ when they are going to beakons.

Attached Files:

#63 Hinichii.ez.™, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  4. Of Moose & Men

Of Moose & Men Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    MuhFugginMoose
    I explained multiple times this was not intended to be a tier list in the general sense. Not sure how many times I have to kick a dead horse to get you to grasp that. But I digress .

5. seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    kathrynmc92
    Weapon Viablity = Tier
    I probably need to clarify what I meant. All I'm saying is that their is no such thing as a 100% safe super jump. I generally only super jump to a location if there is a wall between the location and any enemy ink, but since things can easily change in the 6 seconds it takes to super jump sometimes doing so still gets me splatted.

#65 seakingtheonixpected, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  6. CasualNerd729

CasualNerd729 Inkling

(To Moose)Not saying you're wrong or anything because ranks don't really mean much to me or if I'm not contributing, but

(General) TBH both the jet squelcher and the normal splat roller are both more of a zoning weapon, at least to me, than anything. For the Jet Squelcher, well the range gives it impeccable coverage power. The Splash Wall allows for a bit of pressure to take enemy turf, and the inkstrike further pressures the enemy, and can be used both to secure and attack turf. For the Splat Roller, the main weapon is to take turf quickly, the main and sub work together to maintain turf, with the sub forcing people out of a small area, and the main forcing them to move back or be splatted, and killer wail to force people out of turf.

Also, despite how daunting a task this would be, I would like to recruit some people and make a list like this thread was supposed to be: A thread about weapon user friendliness. Then possibly a couple more lists that address the issues that several people have mentioned, such as roles, modes, maps. I think the word Viability was what really began to derail this list. But If you're interested, please contact me so I don't have to do a list like this, and get flamed.
    No offense Moose. Appreciate the effort.

7. Rockin

Rockin Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Rockin_Rizon
    Moose and Men, out of curiosity, can you please explain your thoughts on why you feel the Custom Blaster is on Rank A?