What are some weapons that would be great, if only they had better kits? (Discussion)

Mx_Diva

Splatoon Playing Spinster
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Mx_Diva
Switch Friend Code
SW-6445-1547-4212

Madman46i

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1110-7787-6032
evidently lol

vheavy is actually a really synergistic kit, sprinkler does a lot of small utility things for it like painting its feet + helping with mobility + extra paint. im tired of ppl acting like sprinkler is useless just bc its not a lethal bomb and doesnt paint as well as it did in s1. wave breaker is a pretty weak special in the meta rn but heavy uses it better than most wave weapons. its a free ink refill and you can use it to locate + displace ppl as well as do extra damage. wave breaker does 45 damage when hitting ppl and heavy does 30 damage per bullet which makes it a 2 shot after hitting ppl with wave so its basically free chip damage. im confused why you think it doesnt combo well esp bc you want storm on heavy which is also a chip damage special

i dont play heavy deco so i cant speak for it as much but i have no idea why youre saying heavy doesnt play well off of enemies being marked and then argue later that storm is good for revealing sharkers. thats literally what point sensor does. i agree that using kraken can be awkward bc you have to switch positions so much but considering heavy is decent at midlining i think it can work if youre careful

even if heavy had burst missiles its still getting countered by chargers, thats just the nature of charger splatling matchups. wall would obviously be great on heavy and if/when they add heavy remix its basically confirmed to get wall but that doesnt mean the other heavy kits are bad simply bc they dont have wall. aside from healing faster in storm i dont get how it does anything super special for heavy that wave breaker isnt already doing. personally id want wail on heavy remix bc its a long range option that can properly displace enemy backlines, smth which neither of the heavy kits have rn
Yeah I kinda overstayed my welcome, and I get most of your points, so let me just back pedal rq. I forgot about wave and sensor when mentioning sharking with storm, but I do think that sensor isn’t that good at catching sharkers since the radius is so small that you basically already have to know their general area and it doesnt linger fo longer, but yeah wave and storm both catch sharkers well. However I think that storm is just an upgrade to wave since the chip damage cant be dodged if they are in radius, and storm also moves up taking more area. For sprinkler painting its feet, its not too useful since its so ink hungry compared to firing a few shots, yes its faster than charging those few shots but not by much so its not always useful.

Madman46i

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1110-7787-6032
Custom Dualie Squechers and Splatana Wiper Deco. Though I do think Squid Beacons are underrated; I think they are equipped on the wrong weapons for using Squid Beacons.
As a beakon enthusiast, weapons with more range tend to not need bombs as much, so putting beakons on them can often be useful, but backlines cant get in some positions to put beakons more aggressively and they already provide a jump, so beakons on midlines is typically the best. Backlines with beakons are still good, but the beakons end up having to stay back most of the time.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
For sprinkler painting its feet, its not too useful since its so ink hungry compared to firing a few shots, yes its faster than charging those few shots but not by much so its not always useful.
On nautilus, it's pretty for me to paint my feet with one shot, squid roll to get some distance, shoot one shot again, and keep going. I imagine it'd be slightly slower on heavy but probably not by much.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
Custom Dualie Squechers and Splatana Wiper Deco. Though I do think Squid Beacons are underrated; I think they are equipped on the wrong weapons for using Squid Beacons.
cds is actually good with beakons
the weapon is so ink hungry that it can’t really use a sub while fighting at all + the main weapon is good enough to be able to fight without one. it uses subs outside of fighting which is perfect for beakons because you just place 1 or 2 and swim forward recovering ink and then fight with a full ink tank. it’s pretty good for qr playstyle, and with cooler, every weapon is qr playstyle. cds is also good for if your backline is down or if youre running a backless comp. fast and safe jumps for your team at almost all times which means no weapon has to hold back to give jumps, and dualie squelcher’s main is also just good for backless comps which want more midlines that can punish aggressive frontliners as well. the problem with backless right now is PENCIL!!!! so if that and trizooka (trizooka is too good for a lot of other specials to be wanted right now) were nerfed, cds will have a chance to shine... if the other part of the kit was fixed (its chumps). not because of a lack of synergy, it’s just that they are too weak. they are a fast ink tank refill which is good for this weapon, and they could enable a push by putting good paint on the floor, blocking shots, creating a distraction, and dealing damage, it’s just that they can’t do that well enough or fast enough to be viable (especially with pencil aka cooler and trizooka being dominant), at least for ranked modes. i have seen somewhere that cds was used by the team who won some tournament but i forgot everything about that, maybe someone else remembers. im pretty sure it was around the same time cds got a pfs nerf but again i forgor.
i am really sad chumps are bad though, theyre like a much better designed missiles but they keep it worse than missiles.

i don’t know much about wiper being good with beakons, it is a really fast weapon with long range and a one shot, but the dps is slightly lacking so maybe it prefers other subs, it can probably go either way

asheevee_

Inkling
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4235-6466-7508
Dualie Squelchers. Not just because both of its specials are relatively weak, but also because the weapon drastically prefers having a cheap sub over something like a bomb. I feel like Squelchers are one of very few weapons in the game that would like an Angle Shooter. (Also in part because it'd make Nintendo willing to give it a good special.)
While DS does prefer a cheap sub, I think the kits it has now are actually pretty good, all things considered. Wave on VDS combos for a 2 shot as is (despite it being one of the worst specials rn), and Chumps are a nice meat shield and give decent paint. If only they weren't terrible.

dread dread dread dread dread dread dread dread dread
Please just give it Torpedo/Crab, that's all we're asking for Nintendo...

vH-3's kit is fine, the main weapon just needs more buffs for it to be viable. Something I would very much like to see.
Agreed---give it better strafe speed, shot velocity, and ever so slightly less time between bursts. The damage buff it got in the most recent patch did basically nothing for it. I do think it would like a slightly more aggressive kit too though, since both of the kits it has right now are super supportive. Give it its suction bomb back and give it chumps for much needed paint coverage and chip.

cds is actually good with beakons
the weapon is so ink hungry that it can’t really use a sub while fighting at all + the main weapon is good enough to be able to fight without one. it uses subs outside of fighting which is perfect for beakons because you just place 1 or 2 and swim forward recovering ink and then fight with a full ink tank.
Beat me to it, haha

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
For good main weapons that could be significantly better if their kits helped in what they needed, Explo and Dread come to mind.
Torp/Crab on Dread and Sprinkler/Zooka on Explo is what I would personally want on both of them.
I'm not giving Zooka to Explo just because it's meta right now though.

I spent over an hour typing out my thoughts but I figured it got too off topic so you can check below if you want to see my extremely long reasoning for both kits.
Personally, I would give Dread Torp/Crab. Extremely predictable but there's not enough Crab options in the game and the only two bombs that the slosher class has are Fizzy and Splat Bomb. I also really like Torp and Crab but none of the weapons I play have it and they would both be really good for Dread as a midline weapon.

Explosher could also be significantly better if it had a kit to help with movement and dealing with specials.
vExplo isn't bad but the kit it has only makes the main weapons strengths stronger without helping it deal with its extreme weaknesses.
A single shot from Explo takes a significant amount of time so it can't paint its feet well enough to escape from a bad spot, it can't reliably fight off anyone trying to rush it since it takes two shots to kill if the opponent isn't already weak, and it definitely doesn't do well against any special in the game. Explo is the only weapon I know that actually struggles against Chumps.
What it needs is a way to quickly move and protect itself.
The devs seemed to have at least agreed on the last part since they gave cExplo TSD as a panic option, which still doesn't work for the main weapon weapon anyway.

There's a lot that could work on Explosher but I would personally want it to have Sprinkler/Zooka.
It already had Sprinkler before in Splatoon 2 but instead of repeating that sub they gave it Splash Wall, which costs a lot of ink leaving Explo with only 3 shots after throwing one with a full ink tank.
Sprinkler would just be much better for the weapon, giving it a way to quickly paint the floor or walls which is something it desperately needs right now. Sprinkler could also help body block some shots if Explo is getting rushed and give some passive paint output, nothing big but just the ability to quickly paint its feet does a lot for it.
Zooka would help it deal with other specials like Crab Tank and Booyah Bomb, it also doesn't stay active for long so Explo can go right back to playing its role with a full ink tank after.
I also think that it's the backline that would work best with the special, trapping someone with one Explo shot and then following up with Zooka before they can get away, targeting other backlines that outrange it such as E-Liter or Pencil, and the positions that Explo likes to be in tend to also be good positions for using Zooka. It would be a very annoying weapon to fight but I'm giving it Zooka under the assumption that they're going to increase the startup for the special.

There's other sloshers that could be much better if they had a different sub or special but these are the two that are held back the most (a good kit won't save Blob).

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I would request a new L-3 kit, but the problem for that weapon is mostly vSplash existing and completely overshadowing it.
A weapon I do think could use a new kit is Mini. Except I feel like if Mini gets a third kit, it's probably getting Super Chump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom