What are some weapons that would be great, if only they had better kits? (Discussion)

asheevee_

Inkling
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4235-6466-7508
This game's kits are incredibly mid. I can probably think of a good 8 main weapons right now off the top of my head that are completely shafted by their lack of a real kit. So my question to you is this: Which main weapons do you think would be great, if only they had better kits? And what kits would you like to see on them if we ever get third kits? Conversely, what are some weapons that have really good kits in theory, but are completely held back by the main weapon itself being mediocre? (*cough* vClash *cough*)

I'll start: Dapple Dualies have had five chances to get a functional kit, and has failed spectacularly all five times. I'd give it Fizzy Bomb as a movement tool it could really use, as well as great poking power and chip damage in general. Top it off with Kraken Royale for continuation after getting a pick and starting a push.

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
I came here LITERALLY to say Dapples/Fizzy/Kraken is my dream, only to see that is EXACTLY what you posted lol. I agree entirely, Dapples are routinely dropped by the quality of their kits but could be so good if they were only given... even DECENT kits at this point

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Why kraken? Can't dapples already kill well at close range? This feels like the single most redundant weapon kraken could be on.

I don't play dapples, so there probably is a reason that it would be good, but I don't see it atm

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
Why kraken? Can't dapples already kill well at close range? This feels like the single most redundant weapon kraken could be on.

I don't play dapples, so there probably is a reason that it would be good, but I don't see it atm
Same reason as Roller likes it, or would if it had a good subweapon - it easily gets it in past enemy lines which is where it can be most annoying.

Anyways Jet Squelcher. You could bring up endgame Splatoon 2 here but I know that meta worked with a lot of extremes that you could argue wouldn't also apply to this game. This weapon has literally the two worst subweapons in the game on its two kits and the two specials they have aren't bad but definitely aren't super meta either. You'd think that was a recipe for failure, but before Snipewriter became dominant it actually did see some sporadic use at top level play in spite of all that.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Anyways Jet Squelcher. You could bring up endgame Splatoon 2 here but I know that meta worked with a lot of extremes that you could argue wouldn't also apply to this game. This weapon has literally the two worst subweapons in the game on its two kits and the two specials they have aren't bad but definitely aren't super meta either. You'd think that was a recipe for failure, but before Snipewriter became dominant it actually did see some sporadic use at top level play in spite of all that.
Didn't Pencil start pushing into comp as a zones niche? It's been so long so I don't fully remember why Pencil was being used but I do remember seeing it and thinking it was a very weird weapon choice.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Didn't Pencil start pushing into comp as a zones niche? It's been so long so I don't fully remember why Pencil was being used but I do remember seeing it and thinking it was a very weird weapon choice.
It did yeah it was a cooler weapon but people realized "oh wait this can cheese zones :o" at first.

I want to say reeflux though the vanilla kit isn't that bad, I just think it needs a combat sub to help it and maybe ink storm as a special and it could be so good, I'd totally play it.

I really like how many non-shooters support weapons nintendo added in this game, it seems like they realized that shooters kind of outclass everything in terms of paint, so we got reeflux, pencil, big swig, dread wringer, hedit, wiper (arguably)... except we forgot to give them good kits apart from pencil and hedit. They desperately need third kits it's so sad

Oliy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OliyTheCreepr
Switch Friend Code
SW-0716-3261-4135
Weapon viability is almost entirely dictated by weapon kits, with some factors from main weapon strength and map layouts. In all honesty, pretty much every weapon would be good if it were given a good kit, and the only ones to disprove that are things like Goo Tuber with insane kits and still not seeing much play.

Even then, popularity != viability, so Goo Tuber could still technically be strong even if it didn't draw people in.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i was hoping for fizzy kraken on stamper, but that would be broken so i would also be fine with dart kraken because its somewhat like burst bomb but it has more range and can still paint your feet quick and for cheap and i can actually hit the shots so i think the sub weapon is tolerable

i was hoping squeezer was going to get autobomb zipcaster, because for some reason splash didn’t get it, and because that would be insane, but no it got screen. at least squiffer got that kit though

these aren’t weapons that are really held back by having bad kits though. off the top of my head, tri stringer and reef lux deserve good kits the most. they are really cool weapons and there are some insane stringer players that have to be held back by their kits. i don’t know what would work best for them because i don’t play them that much, maybe point sensor/autobomb and crab for tri stringer, point sensor so it can see enemies behind walls and use its arcing shots to hit them or autobomb to find sharking weapons and also for damage and some paint, and crab tank for dps, extra defense, paint, and annoying enemy backlines. for reeflux, maybe splat bomb because it’s fast and can be used defensively and offensively, enabling more aggressive plays and also defending yourself when playing a bit more passive. for the special, trizooka could work for long range threats, but if hammer was actually good (like full protection through the hammer), reef lux would be able to use it for continuation after getting 1 opening by using its fast one shot, and also would be able to throw it at longer range threats. kraken can probably also be used in the same way but it trades long range shot for full invincibility and i dont know which one would be better.

asheevee_

Inkling
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4235-6466-7508
Specials don't necessarily have to compensate for weaknesses, they can just as easily function to enhance things the main is already good at. And while yeah, Dapples would probably prefer a Zooka over anything else, so would literally every other short range fighter. Kraken gives it a niche no other weapon really has right now.

Anyways Jet Squelcher. You could bring up endgame Splatoon 2 here but I know that meta worked with a lot of extremes that you could argue wouldn't also apply to this game. This weapon has literally the two worst subweapons in the game on its two kits and the two specials they have aren't bad but definitely aren't super meta either.
Honestly agree---Jet should at least get its Burst Bomb back.

In all honesty, pretty much every weapon would be good if it were given a good kit, and the only ones to disprove that are things like Goo Tuber with insane kits and still not seeing much play.
Goo Tuber is definitely the example of "hey this weapon has a cracked kit but still never sees play, I wonder why?" Same with stuff like Clash. Goo Tuber can easily get some nice buffs that enhance its niche, but we all know that's never going to happen. Clash is a bit harder to buff the main weapon though without it becoming unfair. If I had to buff it I'd give it better strafe speed, less jump rng, and a 65 damage direct for some actual combos.

off the top of my head, tri stringer and reef lux deserve good kits the most.
Agreed. the whole class is just meh overall, and the kits are not helping. I'd personally give Tri-Stringer Torp/Booyah and Reef Splat Bomb/Stamp (assuming Stamp gets a fix to make it actually work). Reef as a main weapon could also use a small buff, I'd give it an extra 8% range or so.

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
jet, dread, reeflux, h3, flingza, swig to name a few

a lot of ppl think the stringer kits are boring but imo theyre ok

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Dualie Squelchers. Not just because both of its specials are relatively weak, but also because the weapon drastically prefers having a cheap sub over something like a bomb. I feel like Squelchers are one of very few weapons in the game that would like an Angle Shooter. (Also in part because it'd make Nintendo willing to give it a good special.)

Madman46i

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1110-7787-6032
Honestly heavy splatling, now sprinkler wave from its v kit has decent synergy with how they are both deployable and can help it while its charging, but they are both so weak they dont help it. Heavy doesnt really combo well with the waves, and sprinkler just its going to paint much. Point sensor from the deco kit is ok on it, but heavy doesnt work the best with playing off of enemies being marked, now its not the worst and can help teammates, but something else could be better, and kraken often is not able to be used the best by the heavy since it has to move before popping kraken, and before the kraken ends it needs to back off earlier than most other weapons would and doesnt work well with using the kraken to get in annoying positions. I don't think it would be the best if it had a good kit (mainly cause of pencil, liter, and z+f which all counter it), but would be very strong. If I were to give it a kit, I would give it Wall and Storm, I know this is what they gave red pencil but it think it has way more synergy with heavy. Wall helps it move up and take spots where normally it would get (in lack of a better word) **** on by a charger, and take space on its own, chargers also fail to shred wall very well. Storm helps it in 3 ways, it helps chip damage for it and its team, making it even more of a kill threat when storms active, then its also paint over an area which would help reveal sharkers, which would prevent the heavy from getting jumped and having to waste its charge or die to it, and lastly the heavy will heal when its in its own storm, which its often standing either to charge or to shoot its charge, so being able to heal while on offense would be useful, and can heal behind the wall. (I have never played a single match with heavy)

Mx_Diva

Splatoon Playing Spinster
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Mx_Diva
Switch Friend Code
SW-6445-1547-4212
Custom Dualie Squechers and Splatana Wiper Deco. Though I do think Squid Beacons are underrated; I think they are equipped on the wrong weapons for using Squid Beacons.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Custom Dualie Squechers and Splatana Wiper Deco. Though I do think Squid Beacons are underrated; I think they are equipped on the wrong weapons for using Squid Beacons.
What kinds of weapons do you think would like them?

I have some idea but I don't feel like I understand it very well.

Mx_Diva

Splatoon Playing Spinster
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Mx_Diva
Switch Friend Code
SW-6445-1547-4212
What kinds of weapons do you think would like them?

I have some idea but I don't feel like I understand it very well.
More like a projectile bomb or something on both like the Vanilla versions do.

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
I have never played a single match with heavy
evidently lol

vheavy is actually a really synergistic kit, sprinkler does a lot of small utility things for it like painting its feet + helping with mobility + extra paint. im tired of ppl acting like sprinkler is useless just bc its not a lethal bomb and doesnt paint as well as it did in s1. wave breaker is a pretty weak special in the meta rn but heavy uses it better than most wave weapons. its a free ink refill and you can use it to locate + displace ppl as well as do extra damage. wave breaker does 45 damage when hitting ppl and heavy does 30 damage per bullet which makes it a 2 shot after hitting ppl with wave so its basically free chip damage. im confused why you think it doesnt combo well esp bc you want storm on heavy which is also a chip damage special

i dont play heavy deco so i cant speak for it as much but i have no idea why youre saying heavy doesnt play well off of enemies being marked and then argue later that storm is good for revealing sharkers. thats literally what point sensor does. i agree that using kraken can be awkward bc you have to switch positions so much but considering heavy is decent at midlining i think it can work if youre careful

even if heavy had burst missiles its still getting countered by chargers, thats just the nature of charger splatling matchups. wall would obviously be great on heavy and if/when they add heavy remix its basically confirmed to get wall but that doesnt mean the other heavy kits are bad simply bc they dont have wall. aside from healing faster in storm i dont get how it does anything super special for heavy that wave breaker isnt already doing. personally id want wail on heavy remix bc its a long range option that can properly displace enemy backlines, smth which neither of the heavy kits have rn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom