• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What are the BEST Team Setups in Splatoon? Discuss.

Squelchior

Inkling
NNID
dekudesu
If we want to make competitive 4v4, we need to share how well certain team options work.
Knowing this will create a sense of knowledge in modes like Ranked in gauging how you are going to play on the strengths of your team, or how you'd like to make a squad.

So here's my experiences on the topic; all in my opinion;

Balanced teams
usually have three Shooters and a Roller:
eg.Splattershot Nor/Jr, Ranged Shooter (eg. Jet Squelcher), Blaster, Krak-On Roller

These teams possess a great balance between covering ink and getting into the base. Three players can do their part in offensively battling the team for the all-important centre points, and the Roller can take the more obscured areas such as the side paths in Walleye or the elevated parts in Mackerel.
These teams work greatly in stages with areas that have to be guarded. Rollers allow for easy Super Jumps in their paths, and the three offensively different Shooters can take on the purpose of guarding, fighting, and defending.

Hyper Offense teams run several types of the same weapon category.
eg. Aerospray RG, Splattershot Jr., Dual Squelcher, Blaster

These setups provide blazing attacking at overwhelmingly fast paces. On stages such as Urchin Underpass, I see teams like this take the middle and never let go. But they have a fatal flaw in that they really do lose their momentum in the later moments in the match and are broken through by Defensive, or Balanced teams. They require players with great accuracy, Ink Saver abilities to continue any vital attack's momentum and Stealth/Ninja abilities to get around the map without players playing it safe all the time.

Jack Of All Trades teams run all the possible types of weapons in one team;
eg. Krak-On Roller, Kelp Splatterscope, Aerospray MG, 96. Gal

Advanced players really work this setup well. On stages like Arowana Mall that have diverse territory, these maps rule. While having a reduced number of Shooters for all-around coverage, offense/defense, Chargers can scare away players that approach the other allies and pick off foes that do approach your allies in a hard to attack way. Rollers can set up various paths and use their abilities to support the teammates. The shooters are always needed on a usable team. Versatile, can use any role at any time. Amateur players though, need to truly learn how different weapons work themselves. If you don't want to use your weapon in a certain supporting role for the majority of a match. then this setup isn't really for you. These maps break defenses very easily too, so keep that in mind if you want to signal your team to push in the final moments of a match.

etc.

Cthulhu

Inkster Jr.
In a competitive splat zone setting, I think it would be important to include every weapon type. Probably 2 shooters, because they seem the most multi-purpose in the game. I think anything with 2 shooters, a charger, and a roller (or inkbrush if it's good) would be great. For Tower Control, I feel like chargers may be much more important though. Really depends on the game mode.

FrostedHawk

Inkling
In a competitive splat zone setting, I think it would be important to include every weapon type. Probably 2 shooters, because they seem the most multi-purpose in the game. I think anything with 2 shooters, a charger, and a roller (or inkbrush if it's good) would be great. For Tower Control, I feel like chargers may be much more important though. Really depends on the game mode.
I feel like this is the most ideal set up. It covers pretty much every angle. I think it could work especially well if you get a shooter with a shield special to work alongside rollers.

Ace.

Inkling
NNID
TheRealAcem8
I was in a team with

Gold Dynamo Roller
Aerospray RG
Kelp Splatterscope
Custom Blaster / Blaster

It seemed to work nice with the airstrikes from Roller/Aerospray and sniper to pick people off. Only played with this combo on 2 maps though

Squelchior

Inkling
NNID
dekudesu
Personally, the main thing I'm pushing early on in this thread is what people can do also to make usually HORRIBLE teams work with advanced players and give analyses.

So the current consensus for RANKED BATTLE is;

• Shooter, preferably Aerospray/Splattershot
  • Another Shooter, preferably an offensive shooter like the Blaster/52 Gallon
  • Roller (Krak-On OR Gold/Normal Dynamo)
  • Charger (Most popular are the Splatterscopes and the E-Litres)
This team keeps the enemies on edge with constant Inkstrikes, support from the Splattershots, Rollers covering all the important spots the others can't or also fighting off enemies, and Chargers scaring and defeating pesky foes that sneak into the defenses.
Now let's talk about how these change in different rotations/stages, and possibly player skill/playstyle as that is quite vital to work a Charger/Roller properly.
I'm sure there are so much more equally viable options on different Splat Zones.

So here's my experience with this; always in my opinion!

• Dual Squelcher OR Jet Squelcher
  • Kelp Splattercope
  • Another Charger; Kelp Splattercope, E-Litre, Classic Squiffer
  • Offensive Shooter; another Squelcher, Blaster or Splattershot Pro
  • One or more run Bomb Sniffer.
  • One or more run Ink Resistance for easy escapes.
The main reason that this team has such a focus on range is that Arowana Mall's Splat Zone almost always needs to be taken, guarded and defended from INSIDE the Splat Zone for most of the match. In the initial moments, the two Chargers can set up nests in the elevated parts as well as the foes' Chargers. There is always a fear of people dropping off from the sides of the stage and totally swinging the momentum the other way in their favour, or getting totally annihilated by anything that drops from the nests, it could be splat bombs, a shot, a swing from a Dynamo Rollers.

How this team works is the two Squelchers will cover the Splat Zone from the main path, and the two chargers set uo nests by the side paths. The Squelcher can provide a Splash Wall for the Chargers to snipe from (I do that for my snipers and it works WELL) and the Chargers scare off attacking players enough for the Squelchers to give notice and splat them from their superior range. The opposite chargers are almost always trumped by a Jet Squelcher, if the Chargers don't notice their adversaries approaching first. The offensive shooter will guard the paths from the foes' base to the leftmost nest, as well.

I believe this team has an advantage over the normal consensus because the roller finds it incredibly hard to approach from the sides and the centre when there is always a constant threat of being taken out by anything. The Snipers can just retreat a little bit to complete charge and shoot them, or the one on the leftmost near where they usually come from can be lured onto the grates and shot. Same with the other two Shooters that are completely repelled by the scope/laser and the Squelchers turn around to find them, surround them in ink, and die. If they do escape, rinse and repeat. That's what I call offensive defense.

I played with this setup for quite a bit (5 matches) on Arowana and it's always a fair knockout. The synergy was pretty beautiful; the Jet Squelcher became my favourite weapon after that because I always just took three steps away, pressed ZR and killed anything that threatened my approaches.

Cthulhu

Inkster Jr.
I've used the inkbrush a ton now, and I honestly think it's better than the roller for splat zones. On blackbelly skatepark, you can capture a zone easily in 2 seconds or less with it. It's ridiculous. Definitely putting that on my team for splat zones instead of a roller. Or maybe a brush and a roller, as the roles seem quite different.

Squelchior

Inkling
NNID
dekudesu
I've used the inkbrush a ton now, and I honestly think it's better than the roller for splat zones. On blackbelly skatepark, you can capture a zone easily in 2 seconds or less with it. It's ridiculous. Definitely putting that on my team for splat zones instead of a roller. Or maybe a brush and a roller, as the roles seem quite different.
Yeah, as mentioned in a Reddit tthread I saw, they absolutely NEUTER Chargers and slower attackers. They're blazingly fast and I find myself just having to tap ZR a lot to take a whole Zone, not just on Blackbelly Skatepark, but on other more conveniently placed Splat Zones such as Port Mackerel and Urchin Underpass. ZR, ZR, climb up a wall, nobody is safe.

Roller and Brush are an odd pair but they have a lot of synergy in terms of giving the brush paths to reload in and supporting attacks and Brushes in clearing the area for a roller.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
All I can say for sure is that a team with more than 1 charger or roller is gimped.

Right now it's looking like a safe standard set up would be 1 charger for fortifying and poking from a safe position, 2 aggressors, gunner or otherwise, and 1 audible who can flexibly assist wherever needed. Also, squelchers and brushes aren't considered roller or charger in this instance.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Maybe so; between the running speed, Sprinkler to cover territory and Inkstrikes to steal Splat Zones the Inkbrush can definitely cover turf quickly, but I feel like it's too weak to splat people unless you sneak up on enemies, they just walk past you while you're hiding or they have an Inkbrush too (thus having the same short swing range and low damage that you do). It's kind of the opposite of most rollers in that regard, I think.

Also, the closest to a "perfect" team that I can think of right now is:
1) A Shooter that covers turf quickly, preferably with a damaging sub-weapon (for example, the Splattershot Jr, regular or Tentatek Splattershot or an Aerospray). For abilities, get Ninja Squid (for sneaking around and running away), Ink Saver (either, possibly both) and Defense Up (to not get splatted as quickly); other abilities can be helpful (like Special Charge/Duration Up to get more/longer specials, Run/Swim Speed Up to get around more quickly, or Ink Recovery Up so you can refill quickly), but I think these three are most important.
2) A Shooter with high damage to splat enemies quickly (like either Blaster, either .52 Gal or the .96 Gal). For abilities, get Damage Up (to counter Defense Ups), Defense Up (to not get splatted as quickly; more important here, because this one's supposed to get into fights) and Ink Resistance (to not be a sitting duck when you get hit). Other abilities can be helpful (like the Ink Savers, since these weapons eat through ink pretty quickly, Run/Swim Speed Up to move faster, and Ink Recovery Up to refill faster), but I think those three are most important.
3a) A Charger to snipe enemies from a (hopefully) safe distance (doesn't really matter which one). For abilities, get Ink Savers (Main is more important in my eyes since you're sniping, but Sub could help if you find yourself using the sub-weapon a lot), Defense Up (to survive long enough to escape when you're attacked up close) and Ink Recovery Up (to refill more quickly, since these weapons use quite a bit of ink per shot). Other abilities could be helpful (Cold Blooded only helps when Echolocator/Point Sensor/Haunt is in play, but cuts the amount of time that enemies know where you are down to almost nothing, Special Charge Up might be for you if you want to use specials more often), but I think those three are most important.
3b) A Jet Squelcher (Normal or Custom, maybe Dual), which could maybe replace the Charger, giving up some range to maybe win some firefights. For abilities, get Ninja Squid (to sneak around; since you don't have the sheer range of a Charger, you may have to move around a bit), Damage Up (since you can't instasplat people like a Charger, you should have this to counter Defense Ups), Swim Speed Up (to get around quickly) and Defense Up (you may have to engage in firefights with this, so having Defense Up could help with survivability). Other abilities could be useful (the Ink Savers to keep shooting for longer, Special Charge/Duration Up to get more/longer specials, Ink Resistance Up could help escape if you end up in enemy ink), but I think those four are most important.
4a) The Krak-On Splat Roller, to cover turf quickly, splat enemies with its swings and by just ramming them, to set down Squid Beakons to get splatted teammates back in the fight faster, and to cover surfaces, splat enemies and escape from unwinnable fights with the Kraken. For abilities, get both Ink Savers (Main to roll longer, Sub because Squid Beakons eat a lot of ink when used), Defense Up (to survive longer when shot at), and Ink Recovery Up (to refill more quickly when you run low on ink). Other abilities can be helpful (Swim Speed Up to retreat faster when you need to, Special Charge/Duration Up to get more and longer Krakens, maybe Haunt to give locations when you do get splatted), but those four feel like the most important ones to have.
4b) A Dynamo Roller (regular or Gold), trading speed and team-support for inkredible splat power and swing range; for the regular Dynamo, you replace Squid Beakon support with Sprinkler turf coverage and Kraken defense and turf coverage with information support from the Echolocator; for the Gold Dynamo, youreplace Squid Beakon support with powerful Splat Bombs and Kraken defense and turf coverage with Inkstrikes to claim territory. For abilities, get Defense Up (your swings are slow, so make sure you last long enough to finish them with this), Ink Saver (Main is a must with how fast this roller eats through ink; Sub is more important for the Gold Dynamo because Splat Bomb costs a ton of ink; regular Dynamo doesn't mind having more ink after tossing a Sprinkler either, but it's arguably not as necessary for this one) and Ink Recovery Up (since it eats through ink pretty quickly, this feels necessary). Other abilities can be helpful (Ninja Squid to get the drop on enemies with your slow swing, Swim Speed Up for escaping), but I feel those four are most important.
4c) An Inkbrush (there's only one at the moment), trading power for great speed and turf coverage, replacing Squid Beakon support with Sprinklers for turf coverage and Kraken defense and turf coverage with Inkstrikes to claim territory. For abilities, get both Ink Savers (to run longer, and to have more ink after setting up a Sprinkler), Ninja Squid (to sneak up on people; since you're weaker with this weapon, this seems important) and Defense Up (either to run away when you have to or to last longer to get a splat when your target starts firing back). Other abilities could be useful (Ink Resistance Up is just personal preference, but given how many times I've ended up in enemy ink with this thing, I think it's a good thing to have, Damage Up to counter Defense Ups if you think you'll be fighting a lot, Ink Recovery Up to refill more quickly), but I feel those four abilities are most important.
Some combination of 1, 2, 3a/b, and 4a/b/c should be the best team at the moment.
But this is mostly (if not entirely) conjecture. Very long conjecture.

Squelchior

Inkling
NNID
dekudesu
I honestly think that Blasters and Inkbrushes are on another level TYPEWISE in deciding a squad setup, and Squelcher on another level TIERWISE on making a squad setup.

I love using the inkbrush, but sometimes I feel like its offensive abilities may be outclassed by the basic shooting prowess of staple Shooters such as the Splattershot Jr. (which I feel is probably one of the best weapons in the game right now). Probably because it has a terrible hitbox...

Right now for definite, a very well-working setup in any instance, is the Krak-on Roller/Splattershot combo + two others to fir the stage. It seems that both weapons are very versatile and can run nearly all the offensive/defensive roles in a match.

Just hoping that the August update also brings weapon fixes. Not because they're necessarily OP or hard to fight, just unfair at times completely.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
Just hoping that the August update also brings weapon fixes. Not because they're necessarily OP or hard to fight, just unfair at times completely.
It's not unfair at all, but one of two things. Either lag, which is unavoidable and makes for all sorts of wonky situations, or the roller has a hit box behind it on swing. That means it's a consistent predictable thing that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Squelchior

Inkling
NNID
dekudesu
It's not unfair at all, but one of two things. Either lag, which is unavoidable and makes for all sorts of wonky situations, or the roller has a hit box behind it on swing. That means it's a consistent predictable thing that shouldn't be an issue at all.
Hm, yes. It gets incredibly salty sometimes with rollers (excuse me), even though they can be relatively easy to counter, but there are always times you are put under massive pressure when one is coming towards you, which is my favourite thing about offensive rolling.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I see four main roles for a basic, 'standard' team:

Shooter, close/mid range - Aerospray, Splattershot Jr., Blaster, Tentatek Splattershot, .52 Gal Deco, N-Zap 85, Rapid Blaster
Shooter, long range - Splattershot Pro, .96 Gal, Dual Squelcher, Jet Squelcher
Roller - Krak-On, Dynamo
Charger - Kelp Charger/Splatterscope, E-Liter 3K

From there, you can swap out or double up on one of these, but I would advise keeping at least three of these four covered. The Inkbrush is a bit of a wildcard that doesn't exactly fill the same role as a normal Roller, I suppose you could swap it in whereever.

Also, specials should be taken into consideration. At least one teammate should have an Echolocator, an Inkstrike or two is practically required for Splat Zones, and a coordinated team could probably make great use of the Bubbler together.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
1 Roller (The Kraken one)
1 Charger
2 Rapid blasters.

Tired of seeing 2 Ink brushes, 1 Roller, 1 Shooter.

Luke

Inkling
NNID
imnotLuke
I doubt rollers will get much comp usage since they have literally 0 range and the smgs ink just about as well as them. [bias]

For now, I think its just opinion on what the "best" squad would be. Personally I've played/watched a lot of CoD, so I'm biased as hell but hey here you go. [this is literally a comp CoD setup c/pd to splat, if you're familiar with CoD skip my post]

1. Your "Anchor". They don't push up much, they just chill at the back and lock down a choke point [more likely a flank] with their range. Added benefit of providing a safe super jump location. Preferably a scope user, maybe you'd get away with a blaster or something else that has a decent enough range on some maps. I'd heavily favour a scope.

2. Objective. Killing people isn't this dudes job. He's here to hold down the obj. I'd say this player needs to be the smartest on the team, knowing what gunfights to challenge and what ones to leave for his teammates, and when to even run entirely since their life is the most important [arguably]. You can hold down a zone without an obj on it but i'd wager its a lot harder. they patrol the hill and its immediate surroundings, and i'd say they should be ensuring that the hill is 100% their ink. makes it much harder for any enemies to take it if they cant get a foothold and are forced to stay in inkling form. As for weapons, any smg will probably do, maybe a .52, but i'd lean towards a Jr simply for the bubbler

3. Slayer. Yes, I think slayers have a very viable role in splat. how do you take an obj if you cant get to it? This player needs to have the best aim and reactions time possible, and solid decision making. They can't push up to enemy spawn without 4 dead unless they know 100% where the last guy is AND that a teammate can ensure a kill on him. Should a situation arise where there are 4 dead, its this mans job to push up [with the support player] and keep the enemies pinned for as long as he can. back to my earlier point, how do you take an objective if you cant get to it? Weapons wise, iirc the .52 gal has the fastest TTK, but im generally biased towards smgs so im favouring an aerospray here. ink mines could be very helpful for this guy, either to protect his scope/obj or to watch his own back if he pushes up without 4 dead, and inkstrike to kill them off spawn/take out enemy scope so he can push/last ditch to save hill etcetc.

4. Support. This is the guy who has the boring role. He needs to be able to Slay or be an Obj depending on the situation. Not much to say about him, again I'm recommending a Jr/Aero because lolbias.

Notes: you could probably get away with dropping a support and doubling up on a scope or another dedicated slayer, but w/e. As for why im disregarding roller, i think i summed it up pretty well at the start. this isn't about inking ground, its about holding an area. rollers kill potential is small already, when you put it against smart people its almost non existent.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I doubt rollers will get much comp usage since they have literally 0 range and the smgs ink just about as well as them. [bias]
Have you seen the Dynamo Roller's splash? That thing has pretty killer range, especially on a high perch. Stick one on the central tower of Blackbelly, for example, and they can just rain ink everywhere. Also great for hiding at a chokepoint and OHKOing anyone who tries to pass. You just gotta jump and shoot, not W+M1.

Also, it's a little ironic that you keep recommending the Aerospray and Jr., since they have the worst range.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Have you seen the Dynamo Roller's splash? That thing has pretty killer range, especially on a high perch. Stick one on the central tower of Blackbelly, for example, and they can just rain ink everywhere. Also great for hiding at a chokepoint and OHKOing anyone who tries to pass.
Having gone up against a few Dynamo Rollers (who ranged in effectiveness from "feeling kinda inconsequential" to "splattering everyone who goes near them with epic tidal waves of doom"), I can attest to this.
You can't rely on just the Dynamo (pincer attacks and point-blanking with rapid-fire weapons should guarantee a splat on them), but they can be monstrous if protected and allowed to do their thing (or just in a position that doesn't require much protection, like Urchin Underpass's corridor, where they can just retreat into the corridor if they see someone coming and splat them when they get into the corridor, or maybe Blackbelly's center platform, though that would require more awareness of when to drop down).
Also, the subs and specials on both Dynamos are really useful (though for different things), so between that and the swing range, the Dynamo Rollers should definitely be considered for any team in need of a powerful roller weapon (and can compensate for its slowness and general lack of speed somehow; maybe follow behind someone else?).

Luke

Inkling
NNID
imnotLuke
Have you seen the Dynamo Roller's splash? That thing has pretty killer range, especially on a high perch. Stick one on the central tower of Blackbelly, for example, and they can just rain ink everywhere. Also great for hiding at a chokepoint and OHKOing anyone who tries to pass. You just gotta jump and shoot, not W+M1.

Also, it's a little ironic that you keep recommending the Aerospray and Jr., since they have the worst range.
I haven't used any roller since the beta, and I can't remember playing vs a dynamo, only reg/krakon. Maybe it is ironic, but i said at least 3 times im biased for smgs lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom