• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What are your guys thoughts on Tableturf?

Catloafman

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
Fella
I just recently took the time to play a bit of tableturf recently (because I wanted the Acht card sleeve and the Card shark emote)
and I realized that nobody really talks about this gamemode so what do you guys think of it?
Personally I like it except its pretty hard for me to want to take the time to play it.

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
I definitely liked it more at the start of the game, but that's in large part because I've burned myself out on it over time. I wanted (and still want to) get all card sleeves, but it's a loooong process, not helped by my general lack of knowledge on what does and doesn't make a good deck. I'd love to see more discussion of it here as a whole lol, I'm not one for joining Discords uninvited and I would assume that's where the majority of people actually really into Tableturf are.

My one major complaint about Tableturf is that man cards should not be as hard as they are to get, especially given the price of card exchanges AND the fact you can upgrade cards, personally I think there should be a chance for a single card pack to be part of the Hotlantis inventory each day, to be able to exchange cards you own for bits (Mainly because I accidentally wasted bits on upgrading my Aerospray card when I had INTENDED to buy the card above it, therefore wasting my bits), and I'd also like some sort of trading system between players, though given how you can't own duplicates, I don't see any practical purpose for trading, it's just my nostalgia for attending Pokemon TCG meetups as a kid.

I think for what it's trying to be, a card game version of Turf War, it actually works really well at achieving that. I feel like it'd totally be a game I play with friends irl if it existed!

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i like the card arts a lot, my favorite is rapid blaster
IMG_4195.jpeg
it’s also really cool how they kept it about inking turf, maintaining control in your color, building specials just like the actual game. it also feels like the game is pretty balanced, like every different type of card is good, but i don’t know much about actually being good at the game so i could be wrong. my strategy for making a deck is some of everything, and what i put in the same deck have to usually fit with the other cards. big cards are good for opening, and blocking off your own area, normal sized cards are good if your big cards can’t fit where you want them, and small cards are really good for building points for a special attack. i also have some specials because they have very cheap points for a special attack, and special attacks let you go over enemy color, giving you access to an area they may have blocked off, so getting a special attack in early before they fully filled that space can be really good. also, you can make a deck around each map but i am not smart enough for that. i have no idea if my strategy for deck building is actually good, because i have only played against a few of the tableturf npcs and against other players in pools, but it seems like it makes sense so that is what i go with.

i have 243/252 cards and 1 card bit (yesterday i got as many cards as i could). i also have 0 upgraded because i didnt even know that was a thing until i read @MandatoryCatalyst ’s post.

speaking of,
I'd also like some sort of trading system between players
that would have been so cool if they did something like this. it could have allowed people to get together about the game and coordinate making getting the cards they want a lot easier and less time consuming. in general, i think the multiplayer aspect of tableturf is a bit lacking. it makes sense that you can’t queue for table turf battles, it would probably take forever to find a match. the part im talking about is stuff like you mentioned like trading cards, or maybe things like putting up stakes on a battle like cash or ability chunks or something, or maybe more modes like a 2v2 mode on bigger stages.

still, table turf is really good, i wish they do a lot more with it because it could be so cool

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I keep.... meaning to play it... someday... in theory it should be right up my alley because I love games like this... but whenever I do have time to play splatoon, tableturf is usually just not what I am in the mood to do, lol. I think I'm at like level/rank 7 or something.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Tableturf is good in some ways, but it could use improvement in others.
Here are some tips for aspiring card battlers:
The best strategy is to use the largest cards you have, and have them fit together. Look for combinations with good overlap.
Upgrading cards does literally nothing. It's a waste of bits. Save yourself.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
It looks like a fun mode and I did enjoy it a bit when I tried it almost a year ago but when I get on Splatoon, it's never to play Tableturf.
If I don't feel like playing any of the Ranked modes I'll go play Salmon Run, or Side Order, or even Alterna which I do get on occasionally because Machine wasn't robbed of its 5 frames yet (give them back Nintendo).
I think if it was a seperate, small Eshop title then I'd probably play it more especially since being its own thing could also mean that Tableturf gets more work put into it and actual online matchmaking. Maybe Tableturf wouldn't work on its own though, I'm not sure. I'm just basing this off from my previous experiences downloading and playing small 3ds spinoff titles as a kid.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Tableturf is definitely super fun, but it feels kind of pointless without online matchmaking. I would just get on my switch and play tableturf... but the game doesn't let you do that and I seriously cannot understand why.

Norilla

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1594-5651-4610
I like collecting them... playing it is pretty boring, but will get the victory pose from it someday.

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I don't play the actual game much but I love collecting the cards, I find the chibi art to be really funny.

Cephalobro

I used to play it a lot, but I don't play it these days. I really should play it because there are badges tied to it.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I have never touched it and I don't touch it because I think theres better things to do with my time, at this point I probs have a full set of every card in the game yet I have never bothered to try it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom