• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What Builds Are You Currently Running/Experimenting With?

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I guess I've gotten used to it. My point, if I even have one, is that ninja squid can be fun/useful/effective at times if you know how to use it and not to overestimate it.
True, though I don't think most people will use it due to needing Swim Speed Up to negate the movement penalty (especially when you need to out swim a Kraken). =/

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
True, though I don't think most people will use it due to needing Swim Speed Up to negate the movement penalty (especially when you need to out swim a Kraken). =/
But unless you are echolocated, you just need to get in your ink. They won't be able to track you very well, so you shouldn't need to out-swim them.

XxWickedAuraxX

Inkling
I don't know how to make the icons for the gear/etc but I've been using a Aerospray MG with Ink Saver Main. I'm currently trying to find gear that has full Ink Saver Main.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm currently building these sets for the Slosher Bros. where I not only want the exact abilitys but to look fresh as well!

SLOSHER DECO:
:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: - :head_met000:
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: - :clothes_tes024:
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: - Squid Girl Shoes

Both the shirt and shoe have white at their primary color and ink color as their secondary so they match together, and the hat is your ink color so it fits also. All three of these gear pieces already looked great by themselves so combining them can only make for a super fresh look, atleast to me!

SODA SLOSHER:
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - :head_cap006:
:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - :clothes_tel008:
:ability_inksaversub:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - Strapping Whites

Similarly to the above, only the shirt and shoe are pure white, so not as much synergy with the hat but they still look great together. Also I feel the same way as @Ulk with these clothes, they simply look better on the female inkling!

But unless you are echolocated, you just need to get in your ink. They won't be able to track you very well, so you shouldn't need to out-swim them.
Yeah in the heat of the moment it's unlikely anyone is gonna notice the barely noticeable indent.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
I recently began experimenting with Special Charge/Special Saver and since yesterday I have this amazing NZAP89 set:

:head_met004::ability_specialsaver: :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_tly008::ability_specialsaver: :ability_specialcharge::ability_defenseup::ability_specialcharge:

:shoes_rvl000::ability_specialsaver::ability_bombrange::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
I've been messing around with this really fun setup for a Custom Hydra Splatling.

It's amazing support for the rest of the team. My Bubblers are pretty much exclusively for giving out to other players.

:ability_tenacity::ability_defenseup::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_defenseup:

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I've been messing around with this really fun setup for a Custom Hydra Splatling.

It's amazing support for the rest of the team. My Bubblers are pretty much exclusively for giving out to other players.

:ability_tenacity::ability_defenseup::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_defenseup:
Same here. Bubblers are better when passed on to your teammates. Perhaps you could incorporate some Special Duration Up to make the bubbles last a bit longer. Every second counts with those things, ESPECIALLY when you or your mates face another Bubbler.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
I suppose I could dump some of the ink recovery ups for special duration ups, sounds like a good idea.

Magnus0

Pro Squid
I have a pretty cool squiffer build that I have been doing really good with.

:head_met000: :ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:
:clothes_msn: :ability_swimspeed:| :ability_inksavermain::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:| :ability_swimspeed::ability_defenseup::ability_swimspeed:

The swim speed is obviously good with the kraken, and I tend to move around a lot, throwing suction bombs as I go. I somehow ended up with exactly three defense up subs, which is really helpful against gal 52's, and bombs. The squiffer is usually pretty up close, so some extra defense is really helpful. The hat is mostly because I use lots of bombs. I'm not sure if I should change it for something like :head_hdp001: :ability_inksaversub:| :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: or :head_eye006: :ability_tenacity:| :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver: or something to get some more use out of the kraken...

I really like this set since it's so well-rounded. I use it for some other weapons too if I don't really know what to use, like the sloshing machine.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
My Sploosh-o-Matic Build
:wst_shot_short00: W/:squidbeacon:/:killerwail:
:head_amb000: :ability_swimspeed:/:ability_runspeed::ability_quickrespawn::ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_tes019::ability_runspeed:/:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_lts000: :ability_swimspeed:/:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Or
:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:/:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub:

Working on a Quick Respon set up at the moment as an option.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Long, overdue reply time!
SODA SLOSHER:
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - :head_cap006:
:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - :clothes_tel008:
:ability_inksaversub:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - Strapping Whites
Holy Ink Saver Sub Batman! To be fair, I've been using the Soda Slosher and have a lot of that on my gear myself sooooo....

I suppose I could dump some of the ink recovery ups for special duration ups, sounds like a good idea.
Try it and see how you like it. XP

I have a pretty cool squiffer build that I have been doing really good with.

:head_met000: :ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:
:clothes_msn: :ability_swimspeed:| :ability_inksavermain::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:| :ability_swimspeed::ability_defenseup::ability_swimspeed:

The swim speed is obviously good with the kraken, and I tend to move around a lot, throwing suction bombs as I go. I somehow ended up with exactly three defense up subs, which is really helpful against gal 52's, and bombs. The squiffer is usually pretty up close, so some extra defense is really helpful. The hat is mostly because I use lots of bombs. I'm not sure if I should change it for something like :head_hdp001: :ability_inksaversub:| :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: or :head_eye006: :ability_tenacity:| :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver: or something to get some more use out of the kraken...

I really like this set since it's so well-rounded. I use it for some other weapons too if I don't really know what to use, like the sloshing machine.
If you use a lot of bombs, I'd recommend having :ability_inksaversub: as a main and perhaps get a sub or two. I like to throw a lot of bombs myself and I've had an easier time when I did invest more into :ability_inksaversub:. However, if you do want a little more Kraken usage, go for it. =D

My Sploosh-o-Matic Build
:wst_shot_short00: W/:squidbeacon:/:killerwail:
:head_amb000: :ability_swimspeed:/:ability_runspeed::ability_quickrespawn::ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_tes019::ability_runspeed:/:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_lts000: :ability_swimspeed:/:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Or
:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:/:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub:

Working on a Quick Respon set up at the moment as an option.
Gotta go fest! XD I like it. Do you plan on using the Quick Respawn with the Sploosh or do you have other weapons you're considering using?

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Gotta go fest! XD I like it. Do you plan on using the Quick Respawn with the Sploosh or do you have other weapons you're considering using?
Actually, I Am currently working on a Quick Respawn build. If I can, I want 2x:ability_quickrespawn: 2x/3x:ability_swimspeed: 2x/1x:ability_runspeed: (in form of 1x Main or 3x Subs) to stay as fast as i can yet come back quickly. Had lots of fun with 1x:ability_ninjasquid: 3x:ability_swimspeed: 2x:ability_runspeed: too, because being in their face is chaotic, but being on their right then BOOM im suddenly behind them instead. Not a lot of time to react with how quicklly that gun splats.

Highly Recommended:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_quickrespawn:
Options:
:ability_ninjasquid::ability_comeback::ability_coldblooded:

Bio_liquid0

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Bio_liquid0
I'm trying to see how well this set does with the Heavy Splatling Deco. I'm getting mixed results as of right now.
:head_amb001::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:clothes_amb001::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_amb001::ability_specialduration:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Ever since being drawn back into ninja squid build due to some conversations here, I've been using:

Lightweight Cap :head_cap001: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Green Striped LS :clothes_tel009: :ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
For the tentatek and wasabit splattershot. It has been a lot of fun. I survive some things that I otherwise shouldn't, as well as some 1v1 with other splattershots. People are still really down on ninja squid, and of course it isn't great in competitive squad VS squad, but in solo queue people just don't expect it. So lots of squids fire at where they saw you last and since they don't see ripples they are not prepared for you to pop up beside/behind them. It is a lot of fun.

Still going to roll a sub saver build to use with the vanilla splattershot and maybe the neo-splash. Something like:
Camo Mesh :head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_bombrange:
Herbivore Tee (no pic) :ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Blue Slip Ons :shoes_slp000::ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Trying to figure out how to fit in 2 damage up subs and keep the swim speed. I might do my pilot goggles with the blueberry casuals:
:head_eye002::ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_bombrange:
:shoes_cfs000::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
So, you get almost normal speed, while still retaining 3 bombs, some bomb range, and the benefit of damage up. I might also try something with NO bomb range but some damage and ink saver sub (using the white tee, paisley bandana, and bb casuals).

Still having fun in solo-queue with ninja squid, but I don't think it adds enough to a team for competitive team comps.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Ever since being drawn back into ninja squid build due to some conversations here, I've been using:

Lightweight Cap :head_cap001: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Green Striped LS :clothes_tel009: :ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
For the tentatek and wasabit splattershot. It has been a lot of fun. I survive some things that I otherwise shouldn't, as well as some 1v1 with other splattershots. People are still really down on ninja squid, and of course it isn't great in competitive squad VS squad, but in solo queue people just don't expect it. So lots of squids fire at where they saw you last and since they don't see ripples they are not prepared for you to pop up beside/behind them. It is a lot of fun.

Still going to roll a sub saver build to use with the vanilla splattershot and maybe the neo-splash. Something like:
Camo Mesh :head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_bombrange:
Herbivore Tee (no pic) :ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Blue Slip Ons :shoes_slp000::ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Trying to figure out how to fit in 2 damage up subs and keep the swim speed. I might do my pilot goggles with the blueberry casuals:
:head_eye002::ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_bombrange:
:shoes_cfs000::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
So, you get almost normal speed, while still retaining 3 bombs, some bomb range, and the benefit of damage up. I might also try something with NO bomb range but some damage and ink saver sub (using the white tee, paisley bandana, and bb casuals).

Still having fun in solo-queue with ninja squid, but I don't think it adds enough to a team for competitive team comps.
Now that you mention it, I don't see Ninja Squid all that much in Ranked. I find it a bit odd. I've been considering using Ninja Squid but I just don't like the movement penalty and like I've said dedicating some slots to Swim Speed to make up for it. That's just me though. Perhaps I'll experiment with Ninja Squid on my Alt and maybe my feelings for it will change.

As I've stated before, I've found some good use with Ink Saver Sub. I think with the Burst Bomb Buff/Nerf it becomes applicable to every sub weapon. Same thing with Defense Up. It's always nice catching people off guard when they realize you're still alive after the supposed "kill shot"... well, for most shooters anyway.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Ive seen some amazing Ninja Squid Rollers. They don't even use swim speed abilities sometimes.

OT: I have been playing around the build below and sometimes swapping shoe for swim speed. Still in early stages but its been doing well on Kelp Dome and the RM mode. The surprising thing that I find about this build is how I don't really find the lack of ink abiliities a concern. To me it similar to playing with the Nozzlenose's ink consumption or the .96 deco with no ink abilities. I think because with this build and in RM your moving around alot, which means your actually recovering ink pretty frequently. Whereas in SZ/TC your more likely to shoot contiously or hang around certain areas. Again, still in early stages but I am already seeing a few other CJS players with variations of this running around.

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
I main the Neo Sploosh. Mobility is key (:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed:) because I have to be able to basically press the gun up against the enemy to kill. Abilities that help me Kraken (:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration:) and toss more Point Sensors (:ability_inksaversub::ability_inkrecovery:) are also helpful. Finally, :ability_quickrespawn: helps me as I usually die a lot (though I typically get a lot of kills too, an average ranked game sees me splat 10 and get splatted 8 times probably).

I used to build for pure speed, but I have discovered some of my builds play TOO fast for me to effective. If I have too much swim speed I can actually have more trouble killing because I fly in too fast at an opponent (which can cause a little lag) and then have trouble aiming.

I have experimented a lot, but here is my current "go-to" build.

:head_cap010::ability_specialsaver:/:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub:
Krak-On 528:ability_runspeed:/:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_lts000::ability_swimspeed:/:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_quickrespawn:

I have almost double swim speed and almost double run so still very mobile, but I can control myself better when it comes to shooting. I also prefer Special Saver to the other special abilities (like I said, I tend to push the objective hard and die a lot).

Sometimes I substitute other stuff depending on the mode and stages (like if I will need more special usage). Here are some of my other favorites:

:head_cap006::ability_swimspeed:/:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:head_vis000::ability_runspeed:/:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialcharge::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_tes017::ability_swimspeed:/:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_tel006::ability_swimspeed:/:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_specialcharge:
Rockenberg Punk Whites :ability_specialcharge:/:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_quickrespawn:
:shoes_sht007::ability_runspeed:/:ability_inksaversub::ability_specialcharge::ability_quickrespawn:

I used to play with Ink Resistance, but I am starting to think it doesn't help enough to warrant a main ability spot with the Neo Sploosh as you can shoot at your feet so fast. I do use it in some Rainmaker and Tower Control stages (the tighter ones) though where I know it will be messy. For those situations, I bring in one of these:

:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:/:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:/:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_quickrespawn:

I used to want pure/shiny stuff but am realizing that stuff with two of the same subs is actually better for creating balanced builds. I have lots of money now as I don't re-roll often. If anyone has a different suggestion for Neo Sploosh, I'm all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom