What can Splatoon do to break Splatoon's problem with Splatfest in America?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Hey how did you know? A few of those girls came to my high school and said they owned Furbies, the equivalent of Cabbage Patch Kids of the 90's.
That's usually true every time! :)

I couldn't resist a Furby back when they were big because how could you not. It of course sat unattended in a closet for a long period of time and the batteries ran down. Years later, I start hearing these horrible blood curdling sounds coming from the closet. I mean creepy, creepy sounds. Long having forgotten the Furby in there, I couldn't imagine what it was, and was somewhat relieved (and horrified) it was the Furby. Sure enough the thing started acting on its own on batteries that should have long been dead in very odd ways. I became convinced Furbies are actually gremlins. Gremlins dunked in water....

I still feel the effects of it even now. At family or friend gatherings I sometimes won't say much of anything at all and will still be pulled to the side and asked about it and encouraged to talk more. I then bring up my brother's wife who also does not talk much either, only when she feels she needs to say something too and she has a very successful career at a highly regarded hospital. They usually stop afterwards.

I started playing the Pokemon games with the second gen games because by then I felt safe to actually publically acknowledge my interests. Also because I saw the gen 2 lineup of Pokemon and they had a giraffe Pokemon so I really was interested as you can see in my username. Giraffes are my favorite animals. Before gen 2 I would sneak in watching episodes of the anime because I did not feel safe admitting I liked Pokemon in my home either at the time. By gen 2 I grew more confident about my interests.
That makes me think of one of the old Samurai codes in Feudal Japan that went something to the effect of "Any peasant behaving in a manner other than that which is expected is punishable by death." Seems modern society has it's own "soft sell" version of that.

It's still kind of amazing though, it would certainly have been unacceptable for boys to like Pokemon in the social coolness scale but I don't think anyone would have looked twice if they saw girls playing it. Weird how what's acceptable in one time and place isn't in another.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I only had a Furby baby. Those were a lot less creepier, at least to me.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
But still "Japanese steakhouses" are a thing here. And national chains like Hibachi contribute to that image. Generally what they serve are skewers with large cubes of beef + whatever else. It's not exactly a Porterhouse or Prime Rib, but it's still a lot more beef than I'd expect to see in Japan. But there it is.
I think I know what you mean. We have a few of those around here too. That's the hip-and-trendy kind of pseudo-Japanese place, which is aimed at westerners. You won't see them in Japanese districts. (Oh yeah, I forgot--we have Sansei as well, which is a ramen and udon chain in shopping malls.)

Woe to them if they visit Japan and want meat in skewers and all they find is takoyaki. Granted, I love takoyaki, but it'd be unappetizing to peoplewho don't know what it is.

And here is where I come in to tell you how girls try to show that they are "mature". I was already grade 6/7 when Pokemon became the "fad". I have a love of video games since the NES days but I had to hide my love of Pokemon and the like because I would be called a "baby" and the like. See "mature" girls are to be into pop stars, fantasize about marrying various male pop stars, being as cruel as possible to teachers and other authority figues, do make-up, hair, etc. I dislike make-up and don't really care to look feminine at all. I made tons of intergenerational friendships and I interacted with kids younger than me about interests we share as well as a middle aged married woman who already had many children who enjoyed anything animated such as the Powerpuff girls. That is how I survived my loneliness with the things I liked because I decided to be true to myself and not pretend to like what "mature" girls liked.

In high school, thankfully the school I was in it was more of "I don't bother you, you don't bother me" environment so no one got bullied for their interests. I became a loner though as I was pretty much the only one interested in what I liked. I was in a private, all-girls school. Of course the school staff was concerned about me not talking much and forced me to talk more and gave me so much counseling. I am very resentful for that. I talk when I have something that needs to be said or if I feel I can contribute to the conversation in any way. So many awkward things I said just so the staff will get off my back.

And now I am married to someone I can talk about these I am actually interested in and still be true to myself.
Heh, that puts you at roughly the same age as me. I was already in middle school when Pokémon really caught on. They actually WERE a cool thing to have at my middle school though, for both boys and girls. The Pokémon cards, in particular, were a hot commodity. A Chansey was pretty much a $50 bill, a Charizard a $100.

Don't think that you would've been happier at my school though: I went to some very rough schools.They embodied "Gotta catch 'em all!" at its ugliest. Fights broke out nearly every day over these cards and these games, and robberies and overall thefts happened many times per day. They kept finding craftier ways to steal each other's cards or extort them. When someone found out I had possession of two Blastoises, whoever it was figured out when I had P.E., where my locker was, and what my locker combination was. When they realized I wasn't carrying any cards that day, a classmate found my backpack in a puddle of water in the boy's restroom. Most of the things inside were damaged; it was clear they were either hitting it or stepping on it out of frustration. The entire district was like this, and it got so bad that, after a few months, Pokémon cards were officially banned from campus district-wide. It is so far the district's only card game ban.

Pokémon became uncool again about midway through Generation II, when people started getting bored of them and they were associated with little kids again. By then, I was in high school, and I was playing them in secret, as I assume is normal throughout the continent.

As for what cool girls were supposed to do in middle school and high school? Apparently, the idea was to dress provocatively and suggestively, be good-looking and flirt with guys while avoiding looking like a *****, listen to R&B like Aaliyah, chew gum, and troll the teachers. Spicy and sassy. The most common life plan is to get married to a handsome rich man and have a family.

It's kind of weird, thinking about it looking back, as this was the time when Backstreet Boys and N*Sync were popular, but at my school, even the girls thought they were "gay." (Not as in they're homosexual, but that they're lame.) From what I hear though, among girls, there were multiple paths of coolness, with every group at each other's throats. Maybe in some other schools, they were into those boy bands and Britney Spears and the like. (How times have changed--now I hear old people singing along to "I Want It That Way" and "Larger than Life" on the radio.)

Even among the "cool kids" boys though, I was the odd one out liking Nintendo - they all liked Sega for the better sports games. Nintendo was for kids etc. (I'll never, ever forgive Sega for casting Nintendo permanently as kiddie. That's Sega's doing entirely, though Nintendo is the one that abused US Congress to attack Sega as unwholesome, so they probably were asking for it... (Remember all the news pieces on the evils of video games featuring clips of Night Trap on Sega CD? Yeah, that was all Lincoln & Arakawa - and you can't tell me Yamauchi wasn't in on it. That was his style to a t. I love the guy for bringing us all the great fun he brought us in our lives, but the man was a ruthless shark. :rolleyes: )
During the 16-bit console wars, I was in elementary school. The Super Nintendo was the cool system to own. I've never been too sure why, as it was in direct contrast to all the marketing of "SEGA does what Nintendon't." But I remember when Super Mario Kart was the talk of the schoolyard, then Donkey Kong Country and its sequels, and Super Mario RPG, and Yoshi's Island. When the PlayStation came around, it caused a split at the school. You had people who couldn't get enough of Final Fantasy VII on one side and Super Mario 64 on the other.

SEGA did have its moment though, but it kind of stopped after 1993 when Sonic 2 became old news.

Hey how did you know? A few of those girls came to my high school and said they owned Furbies, the equivalent of Cabbage Patch Kids of the 90's.

I still feel the effects of it even now. At family or friend gatherings I sometimes won't say much of anything at all and will still be pulled to the side and asked about it and encouraged to talk more. I then bring up my brother's wife who also does not talk much either, only when she feels she needs to say something too and she has a very successful career at a highly regarded hospital. They usually stop afterwards.

I started playing the Pokemon games with the second gen games because by then I felt safe to actually publically acknowledge my interests. Also because I saw the gen 2 lineup of Pokemon and they had a giraffe Pokemon so I really was interested as you can see in my username. Giraffes are my favorite animals. Before gen 2 I would sneak in watching episodes of the anime because I did not feel safe admitting I liked Pokemon in my home either at the time. By gen 2 I grew more confident about my interests.
Quiet people who keep to themselves are so frequently portrayed as serial killers or victims of serial killers in fiction. Then again, it takes some level of extrovertedness to get into the entertainment industry. As an introvert trying to get in, it is difficult to get yourself noticed over the loud braggarts.

As for Pokémon, I began with Pokémon Pinball. Go fig.

Furbies made a return around 2010 too. It didn't last long though. They're the ones with the LCD eyes.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I wonder if Ancho-V Games was the last content update. I wish the dev can outright confirm it if that is the case so we don't have to think about it as January rolls by.

Award

I think I know what you mean. We have a few of those around here too. That's the hip-and-trendy kind of pseudo-Japanese place, which is aimed at westerners. You won't see them in Japanese districts. (Oh yeah, I forgot--we have Sansei as well, which is a ramen and udon chain in shopping malls.)

Woe to them if they visit Japan and want meat in skewers and all they find is takoyaki. Granted, I love takoyaki, but it'd be unappetizing to peoplewho don't know what it is.
Yeah, exactly. Though a big chain like Hibachi isn't exactly "hip and trendy" it's the Walmart mass market version of hip and trendy when it's on its way out I guess. We have some upscale ones that are basically the same thing though (where you sit around the table and they flambe everything in front of you and perform culinary acrobatics which is supposed to be authentic and of course is not. If it has teriyaki sauce it must be Japanese! :rolleyes:

The "Japanese" mall chains here are really more Chinese than Japanese (but American's can't tell the difference, right?) Oh they'll have beef tempura which is a plate that is half rice, and half sauce-saturated beef, that sort of thing. Even the presentation looks more Chinese. And in all these places you'll be served by "Asian" chefs/cooks/waiters who all seem to have a distinctly Chinese accent (but American's can't tell the difference, right?)

The thing is we have no Japanese districts. We have no Japanese people. Even, like, 3rd generation descended and completely Americanized Japanese-ethnicity people are a pretty rare sight. There was never much movement away from the West coast I suppose. The handful of people who appear, physically to be of Japanese decent I encounter, I get the distinct impression they know a lot less about anything Japanese than the average Nintendo fan. :p I'm envious of the Japanese presence you guys have. I'm envious of your lack of snow. I'm not envious about the fact that you have no running water and must drink your own perspiration for sustenance. ;):p On the other hand, our Italian and French food is more abundant than yours, so there's that.

FWIW we do have a massive Chinese presence, abundant Chinese districts, some great Chinatowns in the downtown areas, great Chinese food. Most of it geared toward westerners, some of it not, though there's not too great a difference between the more ethnic dishes and westernized ones. There's a fair Vietnamese and Philippine presence and food to match as well.

See that's just it, things like takoyaki - you will not find it here. Not anywhere. Nothing made with flour will be found here in a Japanese restaurant. Nothing wrapped in fried balls of tempura batter will be found here (unless it's meat or shrimp.) None at all. Granted, the octopi filling turns me off (sorry, Marie!) But that general class of food is something I'd love to have around. And affordable so I can eat it often. ;) I love Asian food.

See, now you've done it. I had to order some Red Fox & Green Tanuki ramen cups. It's not the real thing, but it's the closest I could get. I couldn't resist, you got me hungry for it. You and Callie and Marie. It's all your fault, you three! :mad:

During the 16-bit console wars, I was in elementary school. The Super Nintendo was the cool system to own. I've never been too sure why, as it was in direct contrast to all the marketing of "SEGA does what Nintendon't." But I remember when Super Mario Kart was the talk of the schoolyard, then Donkey Kong Country and its sequels, and Super Mario RPG, and Yoshi's Island. When the PlayStation came around, it caused a split at the school. You had people who couldn't get enough of Final Fantasy VII on one side and Super Mario 64 on the other.

SEGA did have its moment though, but it kind of stopped after 1993 when Sonic 2 became old news.
I think I'm only a few years ahead of you, I was middle school at the time, but there was a stark difference. NES was popular, everyone loved NES in elementary. But Super Nintendo never caught on, Sega was the COD of the day. The cool, edgy, "Sega Does what Nintendon't" thing caught on. Not Sonic, not Toejam (I miss TJ&E!) it was the sports, it was the racers, and the arcade shooters, etc. Sega was what the cool kids played rather than the family friendly Nintendo. Nintendo is what their parents would want them to play, so Sega was the winner. The spastic marketing was appealing along with counter-culture. These were the kids listening to Spinal Tap and watching Bevis & Butthead (and emulating it every chance they got.) I was the kid that had no idea WTF they were talking about. ;) But I couldn't wait to get home and play some more Link to the Past on SNES :D (I had a Sega Genesis as well actually, and don't get me wrong, I really liked it. Sonic, TJ&E, Ecco, Dynamite Heddy, there were some true classics on the Genesis, it was a great system on its own. But SNES is where it was at!) DKC, Yoshi's Island, Starfox and SMRPG were all pretty late in the SNES life cycle, so by then the Genesis had already kind of run its coarse. Sega was already on their downward sprial of the Sega CD and 32X from which they never recovered. SNES was still floating pretty well. Of course by then the cool kids were moving onto Playstation - a name I didn't really know, understand, or care about. Games were Nintendo and Sega.

IMO, even though it sounds like I'm only a few years ahead of you, you missed being old enough at the time to fully appreciate the BEST part of gaming: the late 80's. Arcades were still in full swing and the NES was twice the titan Playstation could ever hope to be. ;) I'm sure it's just the rose colored glasses of nostalgia, but that was pretty darn neat. Games are sure better today, but it's hard to recapture magical they were then.

Award

I wonder if Ancho-V Games was the last content update. I wish the dev can outright confirm it if that is the case so we don't have to think about it as January rolls by.
Well, if they were going to release anything else it would probably be today or tomorrow. That's the last chance for it. MAYBE Saturday since the big Callie & Marie concert is Saturday, but that's a stretch. So far, crickets, but Thursday mornings are Crickets regardless.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
The "Japanese" mall chains here are really more Chinese than Japanese (but American's can't tell the difference, right?) Oh they'll have beef tempura which is a plate that is half rice, and half sauce-saturated beef, that sort of thing. Even the presentation looks more Chinese. And in all these places you'll be served by "Asian" chefs/cooks/waiters who all seem to have a distinctly Chinese accent (but American's can't tell the difference, right?)
Thast'snot tempura, unless they coated the bef on tempura batter and deep-fried it, which would be highly unusual. The only things commonly deep-fried as tempura are seafood and chopped vegetables.

The thing is we have no Japanese districts. We have no Japanese people. Even, like, 3rd generation descended and completely Americanized Japanese-ethnicity people are a pretty rare sight. There was never much movement away from the West coast I suppose. The handful of people who appear, physically to be of Japanese decent I encounter, I get the distinct impression they know a lot less about anything Japanese than the average Nintendo fan. :p I'm envious of the Japanese presence you guys have. I'm envious of your lack of snow. I'm not envious about the fact that you have no running water and must drink your own perspiration for sustenance. ;):p On the other hand, our Italian and French food is more abundant than yours, so there's that.
It actually depends on the specific area. New York City has a lot of Japanese people living in it. As far as Asian communities go, they seem to be pretty random. Coastal Mississippi has a significant Vietnamese population, for instance, and Charlotte, South Carolina has some high-profile Chinese chefs. Generally, it takes one Asian trailblazer to go to an area without anyone of their ethnicity, and before long, more will follow. The significance is if it happens or not in some given town.

IMO, even though it sounds like I'm only a few years ahead of you, you missed being old enough at the time to fully appreciate the BEST part of gaming: the late 80's. Arcades were still in full swing and the NES was twice the titan Playstation could ever hope to be. ;) I'm sure it's just the rose colored glasses of nostalgia, but that was pretty darn neat. Games are sure better today, but it's hard to recapture magical they were then.
My father would not let me play arcade games except sparingly, so that kind of got ruled out of my childhood. But yeah, I heard about all the great stuff coming out on the NES at the time and how they experimented with all sorts of gameplay mechanics.

Award

Thast'snot tempura, unless they coated the bef on tempura batter and deep-fried it, which would be highly unusual. The only things commonly deep-fried as tempura are seafood and chopped vegetables.
It's sold to the west, why not bread and fry it? ;) They also have chicken tempura which is...I don't even know what to say about that one... :rolleyes:

It actually depends on the specific area. New York City has a lot of Japanese people living in it. As far as Asian communities go, they seem to be pretty random. Coastal Mississippi has a significant Vietnamese population, for instance, and Charlotte, South Carolina has some high-profile Chinese chefs. Generally, it takes one Asian trailblazer to go to an area without anyone of their ethnicity, and before long, more will follow. The significance is if it happens or not in some given town.
Very true. I'd say Chinese (and/or Taiwanese) populations are pretty much everywhere just due to the size of the population (and the mass migration during railroad construction in the 19th century) but any other Asian population is in small pockets. We also have a sizable Indian population, though unfortunately Indians tend to shift away from traditional foods once they're here a while, so a lot of the Indian grocery stores struggle to stay afloat. We have some good ones though! Indian food IS a little too rich to eat all the time though - that's a whole lot of clarified butter....

It's sort of funny that we'd turn a Splatfest thread into a food discussion, but then, a good swath of Splatfests have been focused on food, so it's just sort of the Splatoon thing to do :p

My father would not let me play arcade games except sparingly, so that kind of got ruled out of my childhood. But yeah, I heard about all the great stuff coming out on the NES at the time and how they experimented with all sorts of gameplay mechanics.
It amazes me how there remains an anti-video game stigma even today. Back then it made sense, it was new, and like rock and roll, comic books, and jazz they were going to warp and destroy the kids! :) There were lots of parents back then that were against them, so that' wasn't so uncommon. Still, that was a great gaming era! I still have a big box of NES carts sitting around in a dark recess, but I'm afraid to check on it after some weather-related disasters years ago. I still have the consoles, though - yellowed plastic and all.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
It's sort of funny that we'd turn a Splatfest thread into a food discussion, but then, a good swath of Splatfests have been focused on food, so it's just sort of the Splatoon thing to do :p
Better then repeating the same arguments over and over again for and against skill multipliers. We will probably get back to that discussion by the results of the next NA Splatfest. Think they'll have a Valentine's themed Splatfest? It's coming up and if they delay the announcement by a week, the Splatfest itself will be led in the same weekend as Valentine's day. What teams would they make out of it?

It amazes me how there remains an anti-video game stigma even today. Back then it made sense, it was new, and like rock and roll, comic books, and jazz they were going to warp and destroy the kids! :) There were lots of parents back then that were against them, so that' wasn't so uncommon. Still, that was a great gaming era! I still have a big box of NES carts sitting around in a dark recess, but I'm afraid to check on it after some weather-related disasters years ago. I still have the consoles, though - yellowed plastic and all.
I feel at least it isn't a bad as it used to be. I think all those mobile games do serve a purpose. They reached an even broader audience and these kinds of people hopefully see why gamers of nonmobile games like about video games in the first place. Still not as much as Pixar helped bring down the stigma of teens and adults watching animated movies without needing an excuse of bringing younger kids with them to watch the movies.

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I couldn't resist a Furby back when they were big because how could you not.
They make for a terrific light show if given a spin in the microwave. So do CDs for that matter.

My parents still give me crap about this. My mother keeps telling me I have to grow up and mature and stop playing with kids toys and take up real adult hobbies like golf and yachting. I just remind her I went to one of the top universities in the country and currently have a 4.0 in grad school while working full time and being a full time student and I'll damn well waste what little free time I have however I want. I know she means well, but few things get under my skin faster than someone telling me that things I enjoy are stupid and I need to take up "real" hobbies if I want anyone to take me seriously, all with the special type of condescension only middle aged mothers can pull off.

I'll probably be that way when I get older though. "Son, if you want to get anywhere in life, you've got to play Cid Meier's Civilizations. It's time to grow up and stop playing that stupid Grand Theft Auto bullshit."

Award

Better then repeating the same arguments over and over again for and against skill multipliers. We weill probably get back to that discussion by the results of the next NA Splatfest. Think they'll have a Valentine's themed Splatfest? It's coming up and if they delay the announcement by a week, the Splatfest itself will be led in the same weekend as Valentine's day. What teams would they make out of it?
LOL, so true!

I'm hoping they get back on the 3 week schedule, actually, I happen to love Splatfests (and love TW) so I always look forward to them. And putting it on Valentines weekend could hurt participation which I presume is the reason the had the 2-week schedule in December to avoid being at Christmas (or right after with all the new players) and then the 4 week schedule since it was really too early the prior time. So I'm still hoping they announce one for next weekend. But otherwise it'll definitely be Valentine's.

It'll be hard do to a kid-friendly valentines theme of opposites... I'm thinking maybe "Candy v Flowers" though, but that's still a little vague to kids "Roses vs. Carnations" could work but be vague to kids - "cupcakes vs cookies" could work in theme with kids valentine's parties, though it will probably be "Caramels (Callie) vs Peanut Butter (Marie)" ;)

Then Europe will get Floribundia Roses vs. Grandiflora Roses.

I feel at least it isn't a bad as it used to be. I think all those mobile games do serve a purpose. They reached an even broader audience and these kinds of people hopefully see why gamers of nonmobile games like about video games in the first place. Still not as much as Pixar helped bring down the stigma of teens and adults watching animated movies without needing an excuse of bringing younger kids with them to watch the movies.
I don't know, I think mobile games in general have taught kids that games are shallow, instant gratification time wasters and have little value. They're cheap things you move from one to the next, and amuse you for a few moments. I'm not sure it has a big benefit to gaming as a whole. If anything else I think it cuts off interest in the real deal making people feel they already experienced gaming and found it boring.

Part of me says Iwata's mobile strategy was what he said it was, luring people to real consoles. But in reality, Iwata was, in his own words, a gamer. He was a wizard at playing the investors (I loved reading the AGM transcripts - listening to him handle investors was like watching Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel) . IMO He really saw the inevitable collapse of mobile and was planning to just wait it out, but pressure from the investors pushed him to do the whole mobile deal simply to shut the investors up before that whole thing implodes anyway, while NX is made. :)

Truth be told, I'm pretty sure he was playing us, too. IMO, Wii U was never meant to be a success of a console, it was a stop gap to keep us busy while they built the NX. But he couldn't tell us OR the investors that. (Though we would have bought it anyway, admit it... ;) ) The merge of the handheld and home console divisions was started right after WiiU launch, along with the new unified HQ building, along with discussion about Japan and the West's different preference for play (mobile vs. console.) Nintendo never WANTED to maintain two separate platforms, tech just required it. But that's no longer needed, and my guess was WiiU was the pilot program edging to the "handheld console" idea, while they further unified the two concepts. Thus I still believe NX is the hybrid system rumored, or at least I hope it is. The Nintendoverse would be "whole" again for the first time since the GBA created a schism, and as a big fan of portable 3DS games and console games, it would be something my kid self could have only dreamed of! :D I think that's something that would indeed shake up the industry: One of the big consoles being ENTIRELY mobile!

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Oh, they still do. Remember when Wanted came out on the same weekend as WALL•E? At least where I live, there was quite the rivalry. The people who went to see Wanted but not WALL•E were firmly in the Animation Age Ghetto (or at least talked like they were) and made fun of people who went to watch Wall•E for having babyish tastes (even if they saw Wanted as well). WALL•E ultimately outdid Wanted at the box office and became a lot more remembered in the coming years though.

What I think brought down at least some of the Animation Age Ghetto, or at least tore some permanent holes in it, were The Simpsons and South Park, and to a lesser extent Family Guy. The Simpsons brought together different demographics like nothing else did short of The Beatles, and the latter two developed a not-for-kids reputation that brought people in who would not touch a cartoon otherwise. That being said, what it caused is more an exception than any real progress: It's okay to have animated sitcoms aimed at adults, and, to a lesser extent, Pixar films, but nothing else. That's evident in the financial failure of any animated action or drama that isn't anime (which still has a reputation among non-viewers as kids stuf), like Battle for Terra or the brief time Batman: The Animated Series was on primetime broadcast TV.

Though even THAT may be changing, as Over the Garden Wall, which is neither a comedy nor an action story (and a serial one at that!) got good ratings. Maybe what's needed is a generational shift. You have anime fans joining the entertainment business now too.

With any social upheaval, there will be backlash though. Perhaps the Wanted saltiness was that backlash. As annoying as some fans of Friendship Is Magic may be, the show has done more to bring down the Girl Show Ghetto more than anything else (and in the west, only Sailor Moon can compare), and I can't help but feel some of the hate towards bronies is actually aimed at the show's potential for social change. Sean Malstrom, the guy who famously predicted the Wii's victory, is terrified of the show (he's beyond hating it; he is actually SCARED that it exists), as he highly values his traditional male values.

It's sold to the west, why not bread and fry it? ;) They also have chicken tempura which is...I don't even know what to say about that one... :rolleyes:
Yep. Chicken tempura is still at least a bit more correct than beef tempura, though still wrong. I hope they at least have the tempura batter correct...

Very true. I'd say Chinese (and/or Taiwanese) populations are pretty much everywhere just due to the size of the population (and the mass migration during railroad construction in the 19th century) but any other Asian population is in small pockets. We also have a sizable Indian population, though unfortunately Indians tend to shift away from traditional foods once they're here a while, so a lot of the Indian grocery stores struggle to stay afloat. We have some good ones though! Indian food IS a little too rich to eat all the time though - that's a whole lot of clarified butter....

The Japanese Splatfests are often about food. Off the top of my head, Americans have only had two: Marshmallows vs. Hot Dogs and Burgers vs. Pizza. Food is the most universally liked topic, I would say, and also the topic that almost everyone would have pretty strong opinions about somewhere. It's hard to find someone for whom no food is Serious Business. Even if they don't like most foods, that is still an opinion.

I never even thought about the railroads causing the Chinese to disperse across the continent. An interesting thought, and because the Chinese had arrived in large numbers way earlier than any other Asian group, they're the ones who have adapted the most to American tastes. Even then though, whenever Andrew Zimmern goes to a city for Bizarre Foods, if there's a Chinese district, he will go there. They have their orange chicken and egg rolls for the westerners, but for each other, they'll sell their steamed chicken feet and tripe stew.

It's actually not due to video games, as he bought me any video game systems and video games I wanted. My father was never entirely clear on why he didn't like me playing arcade games besides that they never appealed to him and he couldn't understand why they were so popular. But my best guess is that he disliked the system of paying to play each time. His buying habits were to buy things to last. If anything, he would've preferred to buy an arcade cabinet if that what it took.

LOL, so true!

I'm hoping they get back on the 3 week schedule, actually, I happen to love Splatfests (and love TW) so I always look forward to them. And putting it on Valentines weekend could hurt participation which I presume is the reason the had the 2-week schedule in December to avoid being at Christmas (or right after with all the new players) and then the 4 week schedule since it was really too early the prior time. So I'm still hoping they announce one for next weekend. But otherwise it'll definitely be Valentine's.

It'll be hard do to a kid-friendly valentines theme of opposites... I'm thinking maybe "Candy v Flowers" though, but that's still a little vague to kids "Roses vs. Carnations" could work but be vague to kids - "cupcakes vs cookies" could work in theme with kids valentine's parties, though it will probably be "Caramels (Callie) vs Peanut Butter (Marie)" ;)

Then Europe will get Floribundia Roses vs. Grandiflora Roses.
Did you get a valentine's card? Yes vs. No. Team No will dominate.

I don't know, I think mobile games in general have taught kids that games are shallow, instant gratification time wasters and have little value. They're cheap things you move from one to the next, and amuse you for a few moments. I'm not sure it has a big benefit to gaming as a whole. If anything else I think it cuts off interest in the real deal making people feel they already experienced gaming and found it boring.
From what I can see, only longtime video gamers make a clear-cut line between mobile gaming and traditional video gaming. For people into mobile games, they see it as video games too. If kids prefer the King model of gaming, well, I'm not stopping them. It's their opinion. If mobile gaming never existed, chances are they wouldn't have played console gaming. I actually have a few myself (though none from King or Zynga). They line up with my interest though: The two main ones I play are Sonic CD and The Pinball Arcade. Both are remakes though.

Award

Yep. Chicken tempura is still at least a bit more correct than beef tempura, though still wrong. I hope they at least have the tempura batter correct...
I'd be afraid to find out. I DID find one place that actually has udon ramen....the place doesn't strike me as a place that would be very good though. When I look for asian food, I look for otherwise dumpy looking holes in the wall in poor repair. Guaranteed, when you find one of those, you're in for some good food! Heck one of the top tier restauraunts in the country in this area, we're talking $300 a plate flat fee, has the entrance in the most horrendous looking back alleyway you could imagine ;) This place with the ramen looks like a modernish well decorated chain-wannabe. That never bodes well for quality.

ALl the others have a Japanese name and serve "Japanese, Thai, Chinese cuisine". The "Japanese" menu consists of sushi. And nothing else. Or at least little else outside some appetizers and seaweed salads.

I never even thought about the railroads causing the Chinese to disperse across the continent. An interesting thought, and because the Chinese had arrived in large numbers way earlier than any other Asian group, they're the ones who have adapted the most to American tastes. Even then though, whenever Andrew Zimmern goes to a city for Bizarre Foods, if there's a Chinese district, he will go there. They have their orange chicken and egg rolls for the westerners, but for each other, they'll sell their steamed chicken feet and tripe stew.
That's also the reason Southern music has the twang it does. It was cultivated as folk music out with the rail workers and fields, and of course a lot of the participants were Chinese. When you grew up with ehru music, your fiddle's gonna' have some twang.... ;) What's weird though is that over 150 years later, and the bulk of the Chinese really never melted into the civilization, instead holding this odd position of a "well assimilated enclave" almost like the Amish, but with neon. It's fun, but unique. No other culture has really done that (and others that try it end up in isolated enclaves rather than "assimilated enclaves.) Though there's also the split of decendents of the railroad building Chinese immigrants that arrived in the 19th century verus the second wave during the "Asian Invasion" period in the 50's-80's of Chinese nationals fleeing the Communist takeover. The second bunch actually seemed to have had more individuals assimilating and becoming fully americanized than the 19th century group that remains more fixed to the Chinatowns around the country. In many ways I suppose it's very much like the Amish. They came from a very agrarian civilization to an industrialized civilization but lived in the far open expanses with miles of nothing between, mostly in the same century as the German agrarians.

It's actually not due to video games, as he bought me any video game systems and video games I wanted. My father was never entirely clear on why he didn't like me playing arcade games besides that they never appealed to him and he couldn't understand why they were so popular. But my best guess is that he disliked the system of paying to play each time. His buying habits were to buy things to last. If anything, he would've preferred to buy an arcade cabinet if that what it took.

I really like his thinking, actually! I'd agree with it. Though I still imagine it had more to do with "seedy" arcades.

Ironically, we now have microtransactions that bring the pay-per-play experience home exactly like the arcade model!

Did you get a valentine's card? Yes vs. No. Team No will dominate.
LOL, oh, don't do that, I can already see the sad little miiverse posts in my plaza now. I couldn't stand it. :( I feel so bad when inklings have sad, lonely miiverse posts.

From what I can see, only longtime video gamers make a clear-cut line between mobile gaming and traditional video gaming. For people into mobile games, they see it as video games too. If kids prefer the King model of gaming, well, I'm not stopping them. It's their opinion. If mobile gaming never existed, chances are they wouldn't have played console gaming. I actually have a few myself (though none from King or Zynga). They line up with my interest though: The two main ones I play are Sonic CD and The Pinball Arcade. Both are remakes though.
I think it's the other way around. Only mobile gamers seem to NOT see a line and think they're playing "real" games which is why I say it's bad for games as a whole. Anyone who has experienced the difference knows otherwise and feels they've "graduated" to real games. But for the mobile masses, it's like showing people the Super Mario Bros. movie and they now think they know what Super Mario is and aren't interested in seeing more. (If you don't remember the 199...err 3? movie you owe it to yourself to witness that horrible cheese fest for your very own. It's so horrible it's classically likeable.)

The fact that mobile gamers see it as video games too is exactly why it's bad for games. I saw Iwata as the last line of defence against a devaluing of gaming and a slide into the reduction of gaming into "insert quarter to continue" forever. I said a number of times that as long as Iwata is running Nintendo, gaming is safe. Now...

I also don't consider ports of console games to mobile to be "mobile games" - it's just the PC-ish port of real console game. The game was developed around the console experience.

BUT the input interface is seriously awful on phones. And if you add buttons, or use an external controller - why not just use a portable console? The problem with mobile isn't that it's mobile. It's partially the input limitations. It's seriously the battery limitations. But it's mostly the business model whereby a game is a shallow, repetitive simplistic concept with minimal content and depth that proceeds in short linear bursts rather than a complete interactive experience. Worse, most of it relies on an addiction factor for repeat payments for the brief duration during which it entertains someone. It's DESIGNED to be disposable, not memorable. On the surface it seems like a disaster waiting to happen for it's market. Then we look back to the Atari 2600 and we realize it *IS* a disaster waiting to happen for its market.

Inevitably someone always suggests "but they can make bigger experiences on mobile, mobile is powerful!" But the medium is the very problem. Even if the input problems were to be solved without making a larger device, you still need that device for something other than gaming. And gaming consumes tons of power from what must already be a small battery for a device of that size. Not until someone invents a new battery technology can bigger experiences exist on mobile. Otherwise you're down to needing a separate dedicated gaming mobile. And if you're going to do that, there's 3DS(and probably NX Portable) that has vast, huge real games and trislosher loads of them to boot!

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I'd be afraid to find out. I DID find one place that actually has udon ramen....the place doesn't strike me as a place that would be very good though. When I look for asian food, I look for otherwise dumpy looking holes in the wall in poor repair. Guaranteed, when you find one of those, you're in for some good food! Heck one of the top tier restauraunts in the country in this area, we're talking $300 a plate flat fee, has the entrance in the most horrendous looking back alleyway you could imagine ;) This place with the ramen looks like a modernish well decorated chain-wannabe. That never bodes well for quality.

All the others have a Japanese name and serve "Japanese, Thai, Chinese cuisine". The "Japanese" menu consists of sushi. And nothing else. Or at least little else outside some appetizers and seaweed salads.
I've found no correlation between how well-kept an Asian restaurant is around here and the quality of its food. But maybe that's because I've eaten Asian food for as long as I can remember. Most Asian restaurants around here get slammed on Yelp, even though I find nothing wrong with their food, so I realize a lot of it's probably an acquired taste. The spicy and sour type of egg drop soup is probably something unpalatable to someone not used to it, for instance, and neither is genuine tom yum.

Most Japanese restaurants here, regardless of if it's ramen, sushi, teriyaki, takoyaki, or some other kind of yaki, are very clean and well-kept. Probably comes from how seriously cleanliness is taken in Japanese culture. Korean culture too, as Korean restaurants tend to be super-clean too. I've only been to one Japanese restaurant with a junky, run-down feel, which is Orochon. It's a place that largely gets ignored and is visited by largely people who already know about the hole-in-the-wall place, though it did get featured in an episode of Man vs. Food when Adam Richman took on the Special #2 Challenge, which is a super-spicy bowl (which is highly unusual for a Japanese restaurant, as people in Japan are generally very sensitive to spicy foods and are thus averse to anything too strong).

Though there's also the split of decendents of the railroad building Chinese immigrants that arrived in the 19th century verus the second wave during the "Asian Invasion" period in the 50's-80's of Chinese nationals fleeing the Communist takeover. The second bunch actually seemed to have had more individuals assimilating and becoming fully americanized than the 19th century group that remains more fixed to the Chinatowns around the country. In many ways I suppose it's very much like the Amish. They came from a very agrarian civilization to an industrialized civilization but lived in the far open expanses with miles of nothing between, mostly in the same century as the German agrarians.
There's also the fact that the Chinese during the 19th century were heavily discriminated against. The laborers working on the railroads were seen as expendable in a way rarely seen even with slave labor; they knew a lot of them would die and there were more Chinese laborer sready to replace them. There's also the Chinese Exclusion Act, which was nothing but pure racism. As the Chinese of the time were persecuted so heavily, it's no wonder they chose to bunch up with each other and associate mainly with each other rather than try to assimilate into American culture at large.

It still happens though, as can be seen with Chinatowns in every major city. L.A. has not only its own Chinatown, but districts for almost every ethnicity in Asia (we even have Afghan, Siberian, and Iranian districts--I sometimes visit these places to eat there) The reasons for modern occurrences, of course, are no longer life-threatening levels of racial discrimination. From what I've seen and experienced, it is still a kind of fear though. As far as the Chinese and Korean go, the two largest Asian populations in the region, they both come from cultures of shame. A lot of the people who immigrate into this country are afraid that they'll accidentally offend someone and get socially shamed for doing so, and so they keep to themselves and keep distance from anyone who doesn't speak their language. Both China and Korea have also had long isolationist periods, and unlike Japan, never freely traded with western nations for any significant amount of time, and so you get a lot of xenophobia too.

Ironically, we now have microtransactions that bring the pay-per-play experience home exactly like the arcade model!
Yeah, I'm sure my father would've hated the microtransactions system that everyone now uses. Arcades were not that seedy around here, at least not any more seedy than a liquor store or local markets.

I think it's the other way around. Only mobile gamers seem to NOT see a line and think they're playing "real" games which is why I say it's bad for games as a whole. Anyone who has experienced the difference knows otherwise and feels they've "graduated" to real games. But for the mobile masses, it's like showing people the Super Mario Bros. movie and they now think they know what Super Mario is and aren't interested in seeing more. (If you don't remember the 199...err 3? movie you owe it to yourself to witness that horrible cheese fest for your very own. It's so horrible it's classically likeable.)

The fact that mobile gamers see it as video games too is exactly why it's bad for games. I saw Iwata as the last line of defence against a devaluing of gaming and a slide into the reduction of gaming into "insert quarter to continue" forever. I said a number of times that as long as Iwata is running Nintendo, gaming is safe. Now...

I also don't consider ports of console games to mobile to be "mobile games" - it's just the PC-ish port of real console game. The game was developed around the console experience.
I've seen the Super Mario Bros. movie.

I still stand by my belief that mobile gaming is not doing any harm, at least not inherently. The lack of government regulation, on the other hand, is creating all sorts of legal and psychological abuse. I don't see mobile games or console video games as any higher or better than each other. They serve different purposes, and mobile gaming happens to serve a purpose that more people are interested in: On platforms they already own, they can play something quick and simple. (TV Tropes classifies mobile games as video games.)

Quick and simple is also what helps traditional video games to sell. The Super Monkey Ball series didn't take off due to sheer luck, for instance: It's an ultra-simplistic premise. The Rhythm Heaven series sells well in Japan for the same reason (though in the west, it was mistaken for a shovelware game).

Speaking of shovelware, the shovelware is going to migrate to whatever platform is the most popular. Right now, that's mobile gaming, and between that and the aformentioned lack of regulation, there's a TON of shovelware clogging things up. Without doing your research beforehand, it's hard to tell what's shovelware and what's a genuine quality product.

BUT the input interface is seriously awful on phones. And if you add buttons, or use an external controller - why not just use a portable console? The problem with mobile isn't that it's mobile. It's partially the input limitations. It's seriously the battery limitations. But it's mostly the business model whereby a game is a shallow, repetitive simplistic concept with minimal content and depth that proceeds in short linear bursts rather than a complete interactive experience. Worse, most of it relies on an addiction factor for repeat payments for the brief duration during which it entertains someone. It's DESIGNED to be disposable, not memorable. On the surface it seems like a disaster waiting to happen for it's market. Then we look back to the Atari 2600 and we realize it *IS* a disaster waiting to happen for its market.

Inevitably someone always suggests "but they can make bigger experiences on mobile, mobile is powerful!" But the medium is the very problem. Even if the input problems were to be solved without making a larger device, you still need that device for something other than gaming. And gaming consumes tons of power from what must already be a small battery for a device of that size. Not until someone invents a new battery technology can bigger experiences exist on mobile. Otherwise you're down to needing a separate dedicated gaming mobile. And if you're going to do that, there's 3DS(and probably NX Portable) that has vast, huge real games and trislosher loads of them to boot!
And yet, traditional handheld gaming is rapidly losing ground to mobile. By your logic, people should be going to the 3DS and Vita, at the very least, and not going back, but they're not. They're not interested in the longer, more immersive experiences that traditional handheld gaming provides.

What they're interested in are 1) convenience and 2) something to pass the time. That's it. Angry Birds fulfills both of those without needing a microtransactions system. Sonic Jump, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, and Monster Strike too. When you're waiting for your pizza or your dry-cleaned clothes, you pull out the device, play it for however long is necessary, and continue on with your day. These are people who are not going to play traditional video games in the first place, because these mobile games can fit into their lives in a way traditional video games never can.

By the way, you can make something a deep and big experience without it needing a lot of processing power. You can keep it simple and still make something deep. Plenty of 8-bit and 16-bit games offered gameplay depth and simplistic controls without much processing power required at all. Tetris is a good example. That can be done on mobile very easily and already has. I mentioned Monster Strike above; that is another example. Lots of different monsters with lots of different options, combining abilities together for a superpowered game of pool.

Essentially, mobile gaming is extremely far downmarket, whereas traditional video games have always been midmarket or upmarket. If traditional video gaming is Black Angus or TGI Friday's, mobile gaming is McDonald's or 7-Eleven. If traditional video gaming is bowling at the alleys or playing some rounds at the golf course, mobile gaming is playing hoops on the asphalt outside or soccer at the park. And if traditional video gaming is like seeing the doctor and getting a prescription for your cold, mobile gaming is like buying store-brand cough syrup at the drug store.

Award

I've found no correlation between how well-kept an Asian restaurant is around here and the quality of its food. But maybe that's because I've eaten Asian food for as long as I can remember. Most Asian restaurants around here get slammed on Yelp, even though I find nothing wrong with their food, so I realize a lot of it's probably an acquired taste. The spicy and sour type of egg drop soup is probably something unpalatable to someone not used to it, for instance, and neither is genuine tom yum.
It's not specific to Asian food, it's most restaurants in general. The hole in the wall is always the best food. Generally it means it's been there for a long time, doesn't spend it's resources on marketing and appearances, yet has been around long enough that it clearly has customers. Which means if nobody's going for the atmosphere, they're doing it for the food. The place that spends fortunes on appearances is generally trying to lure people in for atmosphere and is often more style than substance, pure marketing. They're usually average at best. Sometimes you get both, and those usually have a price tag to match. :) Whether it's a Chinese, Italian, or otherwise it usually steers me right. The nice pretty places generally have food that leaves me wondering "it's ok, but I paid that much for THIS?" But when I saw the (now gone :() Chinese place that looked like it hadn't been updated since the mid-1970's out of date, out of time, and looking worn I knew I wanted to eat there. And I was right. Best place ever. Great people that owned it too! Then another one, tiny strip mall, faded light boards that looks like exactly what you'd see in an open market in China - kind of dumpy, slammed on yelp. I knew it would be great. And it is! The fancy place owned by the famous chef with marble floors? Kind of average food for more money than the others. Same goes for pizza places. The old dumpy one will have the best pizza with top notch ingredients compared to the fancy new place that blew the budget on signage and buys low bid ingredients but convinces people it's good because the place is nice. (That's a whole different conversation, but it amazes me in food how many people have no idea how to decide what is quality and what is not, but will accept the one they're told is supposed to be good and is presented as upscale as actually being so, when it is in fact exceedingly poor quality.)

You know, I haven't had egg drop in ages....I can't even remember what style my place has, nor a point of comparison. It sounds good - I like spicy :) One thing I've found with most Chinese food though, unlike Japanese, is that "westernized" in most places is not too different from authentic. Some dishes (Goo Goo Gai Pan) that are western dishes are very different, but I also find them bland. Most "American Chinese" food is really not so different from the original. Yeah, there's the more culturally specific stuff like the chicken feet, but even in china that's not the bulk of the food. Personally, I can't quite go that far myself - I'm not a chicken feet kind of squid. ;)

Special #2 Challenge, which is a super-spicy bowl (which is highly unusual for a Japanese restaurant, as people in Japan are generally very sensitive to spicy foods and are thus averse to anything too strong).
I'm surprised about Japanese being sensitive to spices - this is the land of wasabi the single hottest food known to mankind that makes ghost peppers look tame. I love Indian curry. I LOVE spicy and even I can't take much of that stuff at ALL. And Chinese food has become quite popular in Japan, much of it, of course, spicy.

There's also the fact that the Chinese during the 19th century were heavily discriminated against. The laborers working on the railroads were seen as expendable in a way rarely seen even with slave labor; they knew a lot of them would die and there were more Chinese laborer sready to replace them. There's also the Chinese Exclusion Act, which was nothing but pure racism. As the Chinese of the time were persecuted so heavily, it's no wonder they chose to bunch up with each other and associate mainly with each other rather than try to assimilate into American culture at large.
Why does this sadly not sound much different from modern day China?

Yeah, I'm sure my father would've hated the microtransactions system that everyone now uses. Arcades were not that seedy around here, at least not any more seedy than a liquor store or local markets.
It might have something to do with who ran the arcades I'm thinking of (wonderful, wonderful places...but seedy.) More on that whenever I reply to the pinball post ;)

I still stand by my belief that mobile gaming is not doing any harm, at least not inherently. The lack of government regulation, on the other hand, is creating all sorts of legal and psychological abuse. I don't see mobile games or console video games as any higher or better than each other. They serve different purposes, and mobile gaming happens to serve a purpose that more people are interested in: On platforms they already own, they can play something quick and simple. (TV Tropes classifies mobile games as video games.)

Quick and simple is also what helps traditional video games to sell. The Super Monkey Ball series didn't take off due to sheer luck, for instance: It's an ultra-simplistic premise. The Rhythm Heaven series sells well in Japan for the same reason (though in the west, it was mistaken for a shovelware game).

Speaking of shovelware, the shovelware is going to migrate to whatever platform is the most popular. Right now, that's mobile gaming, and between that and the aformentioned lack of regulation, there's a TON of shovelware clogging things up. Without doing your research beforehand, it's hard to tell what's shovelware and what's a genuine quality product.
Government regulation is the last thing video games need. I love Nintendo, but lets not revisit the Lincoln&Arakawa vs. Sega of America era. I don't want to see clips of Night Trap on the 6:00 news every night again. In mobile, most of the things that should be illegal already are illegal but are not enforced due to crony relationships between tech lobbies and the politicians they purchase. Any time you insert government into any industry you end up with pay-to-play businesses where whoever buys the politicians wins the market and competition is shuttered "for the good of the industry." It entrenches the biggest (usually the ones who were behind the slimy practices to begin with) as the legitimate exclusive players. Bad FINANCIAL practices in the mobile market are mostly already easily triable under existing law - but no one does it. Looking beyond the genuine financial abuses (which really are already illegal) and back at the transparent microtransactions, shovelware etc, the thing to keep in mind is to look forward, look backward.

What we have with mobile right now is basically what we had with the Atari 2600. The result made video games so toxic to the public that retailers refused to carry inventory. They had no value aside from a clearance table. Video games nearly ceased to exist. It was a huge fad, that imploded itself with a flood of low quality product and greating the impression that video games were simple time wasters. Nintendo fixed that with the Licenced products and tight leash (making a lot of enemies along the way.) Mobile has reset the stage for the same crash all over again. It's been big because the device to play it on is still new to most. I can 100% guarantee you, if mobile games remain what they are, that industry will crash. Hard. I just hope they don't take larger games with them.

Wii was somewhat guilty of allowing the shovelware to be licensed. Iwata did a lot of good, but he also made some big mistakes, and I don't see Kimishima backing away from them but doubling down on them, though on the software side, Miyamoto's really the final say now.

And yet, traditional handheld gaming is rapidly losing ground to mobile. By your logic, people should be going to the 3DS and Vita, at the very least, and not going back, but they're not. They're not interested in the longer, more immersive experiences that traditional handheld gaming provides.
No it isn't. There's so many misnomers and wrong conclusions in mobile. You're right, but not entirely. GB, GBC, GBA, all appealed to gamers. Yes Tetris was a time waster and most popular, but most of the sales were because it was an affordable real console. With real games. It was not until the DS that this market flood of "time waster" incidental gamers bought it. The right product at the right time, along with Wii and the Iwata Blue Ocean strategy caught all these people. At the time these people didn't have other time waster tech at their fingertips so that was a cheap fun thing to buy. Then smartphones and tablets came out and the crowed that just wanted time wasters had them at their fingers now. Nobody that wanted to play deeper games moved from handheld to mobile. The people that never wanted to play games but bought a DS because it was new and fun did. DS/Wii were a weird blip that inflated the market's numbers massively for a brief time. Analysts look to the fading numbers from console to mobile and see a trend where none exists. Those were new non-loyal customers who are going to drift from one thing to the next anyway. The GB/GBC/GBA market is still the portable market. In fact the "core gamer" market is larger than ever, it only looks like it's shrinking due to the DS/Wii era bump. And too much attention was paid to trying to make customers of that target group - Iwata himself noted that that the focus on casual gamers in that era was possibly an error, so at least he was aware of the issues it caused.

And no one should ever go to Vita. (<-owns a Vita. I should dust it sometime. Such an unloved piece of beautiful hardware.)

What they're interested in are 1) convenience and 2) something to pass the time. That's it. Angry Birds fulfills both of those without needing a microtransactions system. Sonic Jump, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, and Monster Strike too. When you're waiting for your pizza or your dry-cleaned clothes, you pull out the device, play it for however long is necessary, and continue on with your day. These are people who are not going to play traditional video games in the first place, because these mobile games can fit into their lives in a way traditional video games never can.
All true (though the death of your phone battery is disastrous!) As YOU present it I have no problem with it - two separate markets which is what it is.

The problem is the industry & financial people don't see the reality. They see it as either-or. The industry is moving mobile or the industry is not. In their profit chasing they keep swaying more and more of the industry (Nintendo included) to move to the micro-transaction shallow experience model of disposable time wasters. They are having success in moving things that way. And the result will be the dilution of value of games in public perception which will hurt gaming as a whole.

Remember this when you're buying your Callie Amiibo to unlock the next map ;)

Essentially, mobile gaming is extremely far downmarket, whereas traditional video games have always been midmarket or upmarket. If traditional video gaming is Black Angus or TGI Friday's, mobile gaming is McDonald's or 7-Eleven. If traditional video gaming is bowling at the alleys or playing some rounds at the golf course, mobile gaming is playing hoops on the asphalt outside or soccer at the park. And if traditional video gaming is like seeing the doctor and getting a prescription for your cold, mobile gaming is like buying store-brand cough syrup at the drug store.
I love these examples :D

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
As much as I want the mobile garbage gaming market destroyed, government regulation isn't the way I want that done.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
As much as I want the mobile garbage gaming market destroyed, government regulation isn't the way I want that done.
Are you referring to self-regulation then?

It's not specific to Asian food, it's most restaurants in general. The hole in the wall is always the best food. Generally it means it's been there for a long time, doesn't spend it's resources on marketing and appearances, yet has been around long enough that it clearly has customers. Which means if nobody's going for the atmosphere, they're doing it for the food. The place that spends fortunes on appearances is generally trying to lure people in for atmosphere and is often more style than substance, pure marketing. They're usually average at best. Sometimes you get both, and those usually have a price tag to match. :) Whether it's a Chinese, Italian, or otherwise it usually steers me right. The nice pretty places generally have food that leaves me wondering "it's ok, but I paid that much for THIS?" But when I saw the (now gone :() Chinese place that looked like it hadn't been updated since the mid-1970's out of date, out of time, and looking worn I knew I wanted to eat there. And I was right. Best place ever. Great people that owned it too! Then another one, tiny strip mall, faded light boards that looks like exactly what you'd see in an open market in China - kind of dumpy, slammed on yelp. I knew it would be great. And it is! The fancy place owned by the famous chef with marble floors? Kind of average food for more money than the others. Same goes for pizza places. The old dumpy one will have the best pizza with top notch ingredients compared to the fancy new place that blew the budget on signage and buys low bid ingredients but convinces people it's good because the place is nice. (That's a whole different conversation, but it amazes me in food how many people have no idea how to decide what is quality and what is not, but will accept the one they're told is supposed to be good and is presented as upscale as actually being so, when it is in fact exceedingly poor quality.)
Maybe your environment is different than mine, but I do know of places like Sanamluang, Jitlada, Tangerine, Boiling Crab, BCD Tofu House, and Great Khan's Mongolian Barbecue that started out janky and kind of run-down, but they became so successful that the owners chose to remodel to something cleaner and hipper. They have some of the best-regarded Asian food in the area; they didn't let the remodeling change what they were. They have the capital to both serve good food AND have their interiors look good. Their prices never changed dramatically either; they're smart enough to know not to do that.

There are also western food places around here that have stylish and clean appearances on the inside but very nice food too, like Dog Haus, Everest, The Escondite, Millie's, Crazy Goody, La Vaquerita, and Islands. Most food trucks here have bright, colorful outsides with hand-drawn digital artwork too, and they are regarded as some of the best food Los Angeles has to offer too, such as The Grilled Cheese Truck, Jogasaki, Rounds, Cousins Maine Lobster, The Trailer Park Truck, Middle Feast, Schmuck with a Truck, Slap Yo Mama, and White Rabbit. Ludo is a street cone orange and is run by Jean Ludo, a Michelin-starred French chef who moved to L.A. and realized he gets bored easily if he stays in one place, so he switched to a food truck.

You know, I haven't had egg drop in ages....I can't even remember what style my place has, nor a point of comparison. It sounds good - I like spicy :) One thing I've found with most Chinese food though, unlike Japanese, is that "westernized" in most places is not too different from authentic. Some dishes (Goo Goo Gai Pan) that are western dishes are very different, but I also find them bland. Most "American Chinese" food is really not so different from the original. Yeah, there's the more culturally specific stuff like the chicken feet, but even in china that's not the bulk of the food. Personally, I can't quite go that far myself - I'm not a chicken feet kind of squid. ;)
Actually, there IS a big difference between westernized Chinese food and authentic Chinese food. For one, there is nothing fried in traditional Chinese food (except stir-fried), so that rules out orange chicken and egg rolls. There is also no dairy products used in traditional Chinese food, though I can't think of any major examples of westernized Chinese food with cheese in it.

What is the norm in China depends on the region. China's an enormous place, territorially, so there are diverse cultures, climates, religions, and histories between regions leading to a lot of different kinds of cooking. The kind Americans are most familiar with is Szechwan, which has the famous stir-fried beef and chicken. Hunan is also quite popular, with tofu-related dishes like mabo.

The chicken feet and beef tripe and such is not region-specific, but is eaten traditionally as dim sum for breakfast. There are things like taro bricks and pickled pork brains that I can't stand, but I know people who grew up with them love them.

Bizarre Foods actually goes rather in-depth into these kinds of foods. If you haven't seen some, I recommend you watch at least a couple of episodes, especially Bizarre Foods America. There'sa reason he always goes to Asian districts: Westernized Asian food usually IS quite different. (Thai is the exception; instead of changing the food itself, they just give incomplete descriptions. For instance, you'll usually find boat noodles on the menu in a Thai restaurant. The soup base for boat noodles is curdled pig blood.)

I'm surprised about Japanese being sensitive to spices - this is the land of wasabi the single hottest food known to mankind that makes ghost peppers look tame. I love Indian curry. I LOVE spicy and even I can't take much of that stuff at ALL. And Chinese food has become quite popular in Japan, much of it, of course, spicy.
Wasabi uses a different chemical compound to induce spiciness, and hence it's a different kind of spiciness. Wasabi contains methylthiohexyl isothiosulfanates, which mainly affects the nose and is short-lived, compared to capsaicin in chili peppers, which is a general irritant and is an oil and thus lasts longer. It's difficult to compare spiciness between wasabi and chili peppers, as a human's sensitivity between them are independent of each other, and the isothiosulfanates cannot be diluted with water as easily as capsaicin can and this can't be measured so easily on the Scoville scale.

If you ever geta chance, pick up a packet of instant curry from Japan. House is the one most often seen around here; you might be able to find them. They export to the United States and have bilingual packaging, in Japanese and English, for that reason. You'll see that the one labeled "Hot" is not that spicy.

What we have with mobile right now is basically what we had with the Atari 2600. The result made video games so toxic to the public that retailers refused to carry inventory. They had no value aside from a clearance table. Video games nearly ceased to exist. It was a huge fad, that imploded itself with a flood of low quality product and greating the impression that video games were simple time wasters. Nintendo fixed that with the Licenced products and tight leash (making a lot of enemies along the way.) Mobile has reset the stage for the same crash all over again. It's been big because the device to play it on is still new to most. I can 100% guarantee you, if mobile games remain what they are, that industry will crash. Hard. I just hope they don't take larger games with them.
In that case, the correct answer would be self-regulation. A big difference here, though, is that mobile gaming infrastructure is handled mostly by Apple and Google, two companies that don't really do video games and don't understand them that well. They seem largely unaware of the Skinner Box and addiction-related problems some mobile games have, or don't really care.

A big thing I found conspicuously missing from mobile gaming, however, is a ratings system. It's the only type of entertainment that doesn't presently have age ratings, either put directly on the products (TV, movies, comic books), sorted by the distributors (literature), or both (traditional video games). There are also no quality checks. What this results in is a wild west kind of environment if you're looking to play some mobile games. If you don't already know through word of mouth what a game's going to be like, there aren't any immediate signifiers that the game might contain some device-breaking bug or inappropriate content. I was looking for some recording apps the other day, for instance, and found one that requires you to give a five-star rating to the Google Play store in order to keep using it. Even a rudimentary quality check systen won't let you get away with that.

This is what I mean when I say mobile gaming needs some regulation in order to function as intended. When I said governmental regulation, I mean it in terms of, say, governmental regulation of gambling machines or governmental regulation of tobacco products.

No it isn't. There's so many misnomers and wrong conclusions in mobile. You're right, but not entirely. GB, GBC, GBA, all appealed to gamers. Yes Tetris was a time waster and most popular, but most of the sales were because it was an affordable real console. With real games. It was not until the DS that this market flood of "time waster" incidental gamers bought it. The right product at the right time, along with Wii and the Iwata Blue Ocean strategy caught all these people. At the time these people didn't have other time waster tech at their fingertips so that was a cheap fun thing to buy. Then smartphones and tablets came out and the crowed that just wanted time wasters had them at their fingers now. Nobody that wanted to play deeper games moved from handheld to mobile. The people that never wanted to play games but bought a DS because it was new and fun did. DS/Wii were a weird blip that inflated the market's numbers massively for a brief time. Analysts look to the fading numbers from console to mobile and see a trend where none exists. Those were new non-loyal customers who are going to drift from one thing to the next anyway. The GB/GBC/GBA market is still the portable market. In fact the "core gamer" market is larger than ever, it only looks like it's shrinking due to the DS/Wii era bump. And too much attention was paid to trying to make customers of that target group - Iwata himself noted that that the focus on casual gamers in that era was possibly an error, so at least he was aware of the issues it caused.

And no one should ever go to Vita. (<-owns a Vita. I should dust it sometime. Such an unloved piece of beautiful hardware.)
Well, there's Gravity Rush 2 and the Dissidia fighting games.

The people who mainly play mobile games are unlikely to play traditional handheld games because of two things: 1) They're playing it for a different purpose than that of a traditional gamer, and 2) They have a more acceptable public image than regular video games, which are still seen as something either for kids or for socially outcast geeks and nerds. An adult man in a business suit won't look strange being on an airplane playing You Have to Burn the Rope. The adult WILL look weird and awkward if he is playing Tomodachi Life.

That being said, I think you are right--the traditional video game market is mostly unchanged as it is. What I think is happening, however, is that kids are moving increasingly towards mobile gaming. A parent might hesitate to buy a $40 3DS game, but they won't have second thoughts buying a $5 app game, or maybe it's free. The market of currently-existing gamers is pretty stable. The problem is that there is less fresh blood coming in.

Something I should point out is that the minimum price for the entire five seasons of The Pinball Arcade is $140: $20 for Season 1 and $30 for each subsequent season. That being said, it is also one of the highest-budget mobile games, mainly because Farsight has to work with pinball companies to obtain licenses. Williams is the one most stubborn about it, requiring Farsight to pay an upfront fee (around the several thousand dollar range, I believe, and it keeps going up) each time they want to create a digital version of a Williams table. In addition, they buy the machine outright to make sure the digital version is as authentic as possible, and there's also additional licensing fees if the table happens to have a licensed theme, such as The Addams Family. They're working on Doctor Who at the moment, which is undoubtedly a heavy one.

Award

Maybe your environment is different than mine, but I do know of places like Sanamluang, Jitlada, Tangerine, Boiling Crab, BCD Tofu House, and Great Khan's Mongolian Barbecue that started out janky and kind of run-down, but they became so successful that the owners chose to remodel to something cleaner and hipper. They have some of the best-regarded Asian food in the area; they didn't let the remodeling change what they were. They have the capital to both serve good food AND have their interiors look good. Their prices never changed dramatically either; they're smart enough to know not to do that.
That rarely ever happens, at least around here. If a place "remodels" and looks "newer and better" odds are it's also under new ownership which may or may not be an investment bank which uses focus groups to determine which new market demographic they're targeting with a focus on cost cutting measures. Typically quality goes down, prices go up, the menu is "streamlined" and the place becomes more popular and every magazine writes up how great the places is, when if fact it's comparably terrible. Of my favorite "hole in the walls" the one that remodeled really did so because they were going to close shop soon and rent the building, and the other rebuilt after a disaster and went out of business a year later. That said the ones you mention seem to be higher end restaurants rather than every day & takeout kind of places. Not that that's so different around here, generally the higher end restauraunts are all about atmosphere, service, and image - and most of all the booze. The food takes a back seat, and you can tell. But they figure after the booze, nobody will notice. And they don't. But then you're on the West Coast and the food scene there is a whole different world. And it's not that we have no good places, but they're either going to be unsuspecting mom & pop holes in the wall, or uber high end elite places with a price tag to match. Anything in the middle that's Mainstream" is going to be low quality or at least low value.

There are also western food places around here that have stylish and clean appearances on the inside but very nice food too, like Dog Haus, Everest, The Escondite, Millie's, Crazy Goody, La Vaquerita, and Islands. Most food trucks here have bright, colorful outsides with hand-drawn digital artwork too, and they are regarded as some of the best food Los Angeles has to offer too, such as The Grilled Cheese Truck, Jogasaki, Rounds, Cousins Maine Lobster, The Trailer Park Truck, Middle Feast, Schmuck with a Truck, Slap Yo Mama, and White Rabbit. Ludo is a street cone orange and is run by Jean Ludo, a Michelin-starred French chef who moved to L.A. and realized he gets bored easily if he stays in one place, so he switched to a food truck.
Food trucks with rated chefs. Only in L.A....... :p

A "food truck" means something different here. The food will be covered in a layer of diesel, as will the truck, and you can bet the food comes with an extra helping of urea. (Not even joking, I wish I were...they've been caught...often...with...shall we say, unsanitary restroom methodologies? )

I'm not envious of the high costs of living, the lack of water, the sheer concentration of crazies, or the earthquake risks you guys have, but I sure am envious of a lot of things over there! :)

Actually, there IS a big difference between westernized Chinese food and authentic Chinese food. For one, there is nothing fried in traditional Chinese food (except stir-fried), so that rules out orange chicken and egg rolls. There is also no dairy products used in traditional Chinese food, though I can't think of any major examples of westernized Chinese food with cheese in it.
The whole point of the wok's invention was that it was multi-versatile for cooking, boiling, stewing, frying, and deep frying in oil ,and could be worn on the head as a hat for migratory agrarians and trade travelers. "Deep" frying the the wok most certainly exists in China. It's not an immersion fryer in the American sense but submerging, or mostly submerging anything in hot oil is indeed deep frying. And it's one of the purposes of the wok since as old as paper itself. Egg rolls, yeah, that's purely western, TBH I forget about things like egg rolls since I never actually buy them :)

Orange/General Tso etc, that's one of those "splits a fine line" between something being Americanized or being authentic. Personally I'd split the difference and say it's "authentic modern Chinese" It's something that uses all Chinese ingredients, flavors, cooking methods, in a way that could only be created by a Chinese chef - and among the two that claim to have invented it, both came here from China, were chefs there, invented the dish while here, and the only real "western" element is that it has more sugar for western tastes than the original more savory version they concocted. Just because it was inspired by local flavors outside China shouldn't disqualify it as "authentic" - how many authentic dishes in every culture's cuisine were at one point inspired or traded for from another culture. Pasta is still an Italian/Roman invention, brought to Asia through China trading with them. But nobody says ramen isn't Japanese because it uses European pasta that's not originally Japanese. Japanese sencha and gyukuro tea really came from China, but it's still considered a Japanese taste. Similarly if I open an American restauraunt in Toko but make a new dish featuring roast beef and mashed potatos flavored heavily with kelp and tempura, is it suddenly not an American dish because I added local flavors to my dish to create something new? The Orange/General Tso is "American" debate along with some other foods is kind of strange to me. It's a very modern dish as opposed to traditional and it adds some international flavor, but It's still very authentically Chinese. Conversely, once I ordered chow mein, a very traditional dish, and the guy just started laughing as if in disbelief. He pointed out that, in China, only OLD people eat that! Tastes change over time while we debate abut what's authentic. China hasn't been a closed civilization since the 70's, and it wasn't a closed civilization before the 50's.

The chicken feet and beef tripe and such is not region-specific, but is eaten traditionally as dim sum for breakfast. There are things like taro bricks and pickled pork brains that I can't stand, but I know people who grew up with them love them.

Bizarre Foods actually goes rather in-depth into these kinds of foods. If you haven't seen some, I recommend you watch at least a couple of episodes, especially Bizarre Foods America. There'sa reason he always goes to Asian districts: Westernized Asian food usually IS quite different. (Thai is the exception; instead of changing the food itself, they just give incomplete descriptions. For instance, you'll usually find boat noodles on the menu in a Thai restaurant. The soup base for boat noodles is curdled pig blood.)
The trouble with a lot of those dishes also is they need to be prepared by a master to make them acceptable. And very few can make them right. Tripe I like, but it has to be made PERFECTLY otherwise it's wrong. (Much like Squid! :scared: ) But chicken feet shares a box next to pickled pork brains for me. That's a no.

"Chocolate Beef!" Yeah...there's that kind of thing. But one other thing is that a lot of these "bizzarre" foods, though traditional are traditional for ancient rural agrarian civilizations. In the modern urban metropoli in Asia a lot of these things are a fairly rare find or pricy delicacy as well. And it's not just Asia that does the weird foods. In Rome, rat was a delicacy consumed only by Patricians and nobles of the highest standing! Apparently rich and stupid are not mutually exclusive :)

Wasabi uses a different chemical compound to induce spiciness, and hence it's a different kind of spiciness. Wasabi contains methylthiohexyl isothiosulfanates, which mainly affects the nose and is short-lived, compared to capsaicin in chili peppers, which is a general irritant and is an oil and thus lasts longer. It's difficult to compare spiciness between wasabi and chili peppers, as a human's sensitivity between them are independent of each other, and the isothiosulfanates cannot be diluted with water as easily as capsaicin can and this can't be measured so easily on the Scoville scale.

If you ever geta chance, pick up a packet of instant curry from Japan. House is the one most often seen around here; you might be able to find them. They export to the United States and have bilingual packaging, in Japanese and English, for that reason. You'll see that the one labeled "Hot" is not that spicy.
Very very interesting, I was completely unaware of that difference. So apparently I'm sensitive to the isothiosulfanates class but not so much to the capsaicin class.

When Chinese food uses curry, does it usually feature Japanese or Indian curry? I've found "curry chicken" (whether westernized or not) is in fact quite mild most places. I'm much more used to Indian curry which is 4 alarm hot.

Award

Oops, the forum cuts off posts that are too long. I had to cut the paragraphs about government regulation of mobile (and especially Google's relationship to that) :p

A big thing I found conspicuously missing from mobile gaming, however, is a ratings system. It's the only type of entertainment that doesn't presently have age ratings, either put directly on the products (TV, movies, comic books), sorted by the distributors (literature), or both (traditional video games). There are also no quality checks. What this results in is a wild west kind of environment if you're looking to play some mobile games. If you don't already know through word of mouth what a game's going to be like, there aren't any immediate signifiers that the game might contain some device-breaking bug or inappropriate content. I was looking for some recording apps the other day, for instance, and found one that requires you to give a five-star rating to the Google Play store in order to keep using it. Even a rudimentary quality check systen won't let you get away with that.
The lack of ESRB ratings on mobile games is interesting, considering several of the key ESRB members make mobile games (EA, Ubisoft, Activision, now Nintendo.) I'm surprised they haven't pushed that, especially considering, as ESRB members, they could wield it like a club over King and Zynga, their competitors. (Always look for corruption angle, it's the basics of human nature, and there will always be such an angle to almost everything!)

I don't know that I can agree with "quality checks" so much though. Other than a "Seal of Quality" or review recommendation, how do you guarantee a quality product? Mobile, other than the gateway e-stores, follows the PC model. Any software anyone makes can be sold to anyone who agrees to buy it. It's not a bad model, and the PC world has run on it for many decades. If you want to buy a product, you buy it, if you don't think it looks like what you want, you don't. In the era of reviews and such that should scarcely be a problem. Mandatory ratings is a problem Google needs to look into, and they should be prominently advertising to report such frauds. They don't. But government enforced software rules won't help much. It would be Google that would mostly write them in a way that works best for them and worst for startups. And would then also be used to creep into other sectors outside mobile they find troubling. I'd argue we have the opposite problem: It's not a wild west. You have a single app vendor that is "approved" for your platform. They choose to not groom their marketplace and sell trash, knowing it's trash, and you have no choice for something better (except attempting to wield government as a hammer to "enforce" that your monopoly store become a better monopoly store. If you could choose your e-store, and simply choose one that only sells high quality goods what a different market it would be!

This is what I mean when I say mobile gaming needs some regulation in order to function as intended. When I said governmental regulation, I mean it in terms of, say, governmental regulation of gambling machines or governmental regulation of tobacco products.
Ohh, government regulation certainly makes sure gambling machines are functioning as intended..... Hey, I'm selling this bridge I bought in Brooklyn, it's real cheap, you interested?... ;)

Naa, I see what you're getting at, and the problem you're trying to solve. I'm not sure I have a single alternative solution to offer wholesale, but the deep deep rats nest of nightmarish troubles we'd be inviting not just into mobile but into dozens of other industries by taking a step on that slippery slope would be the start of a problem far, far worse than the one we have, and would likely not even solve the one we have. The worst offenders in mobile, like I said, are ALREADY illegal and triable under existing laws (gambling laws, truth in advertising laws, etc.) But nobody does it because generally anyone with a standing to do so is benefiting from it. For the same reason the police in Japan seem to have a lot of difficulty finding whether or not a pachinko parlor is in fact participating in converting wins for cash (oddly legal if it's done off-premises, illegal on premises). It's kind of hard to find them when often times you ARE the guy converting wins for cash.... (A serious problem there, though a silly one when the illegal action is gambling in the same building you're playing the slots, but it becomes perfectly legal if you walk your wins across the street to do it.)

Mobile's crimes are mostly gambling related crimes, and worse, organized gambling crimes fronted as legitimate businesses. And gambling related crimes are infamously hard to nail down and always have been. Writing new laws that will be corrupted and unenforced like the old ones won't change that. And, like DRM any time we try to "stop the bad guys" the bad guys always worm away easily and the legal bystanders are the ones hurt. The problem gets solved by consumer choice to solve the problem. Either it happens by informed buying, or the industry will simply implode anyway once the public figures it out en masse. Personally I think mobile's implosion is a guarantee anyway. It's new, its' trendy, nobody ever had it before, and then they get bored of it and do something else. If it continues to exist it will be simply the way PCs exist, not "mobile games!!!!1"

Well, there's Gravity Rush 2 and the Dissidia fighting games.
Gravity Rush 1 you mean? GR2 is to be PS4 only. And yes, that was a truly amazing game (though the better version is now on PS4. Same with Tearaway.) But all the good Vita stuff has now been done better on PS4. Just got my GR1 PS4 copy the other day! But I'm not playing it..because Splatoon. And of course there's Persona 4 Golden....arguably the real reason to have a Vita. It could have been great, but was so poorly handled by Sony.

The people who mainly play mobile games are unlikely to play traditional handheld games because of two things: 1) They're playing it for a different purpose than that of a traditional gamer, and 2) They have a more acceptable public image than regular video games, which are still seen as something either for kids or for socially outcast geeks and nerds. An adult man in a business suit won't look strange being on an airplane playing You Have to Burn the Rope. The adult WILL look weird and awkward if he is playing Tomodachi Life.
Not in Japan! ;) Mobiles popular due to convenience but there's no stigma on 3DS's.

On the other hand the guy in the business suit playing Burn the Rope won't be able to call into the office because his phone's battery is dead. The guy with the 3DS can call for hours. :p Truthfully I used to feel that way, but I haven't really seen adults playing mobile games after the initial fat 4-5 years ago either. Even mobile games seem to have a stigma (or the fad is wearing off and it's not as popular.)

That being said, I think you are right--the traditional video game market is mostly unchanged as it is. What I think is happening, however, is that kids are moving increasingly towards mobile gaming. A parent might hesitate to buy a $40 3DS game, but they won't have second thoughts buying a $5 app game, or maybe it's free. The market of currently-existing gamers is pretty stable. The problem is that there is less fresh blood coming in.
Yes, exactly! And, to add to that though, the traditional gaming market is indeed larger than it ever was. It's just not as big as it was at it's highest. Analysts see that as a trend of decrease. I think they're wrong (and of course they're usually very short sighted with little understanding of the real business market outside the balance sheets) they see a decline from the peak. I see the peak as an anomalous blip that should not be considered and now we're back to normal momentum.
But parents have always bought games for kids as something to sit them down and shut them up, and nothing more. Angry birds does that for $.99, why buy a 3DS? It's a digital babysitter to them. And they let the kids move from free thing to free thing, all of them shallow. Nintendo sees that kids aren't getting introduced to games and their characters like they used to which is what the mobile initiative is for. But parents also don't see the nickel and diming going on and how it breeds arcade like spending.

I also see a sideways dynamic: The traditional video game market is getting older. Which is good and bad. Some if it is because those of us who got hooked as kids got older, but there's no new kids to replace us. But also those kids that got angry birds on their tablet now get older and they are now either bored/turned off from games, having learned they're simple and time wasters. Or when they get to high school or beyond take note of the more complex experiences available and gain interest. Thus a dynamic shift: In the 80's & 90's games were sold and marketed to young kids as alternative toys. Due to "digital babysitting" mobile games, the market is now more advanced, it's something that teenagers and adults will appreciate as an alternative to television. I don't know that "kids" are any longer a serous major market for consoles. The positive however as as gaming becomes "adult" it may carry less stigma. To do that however we do have to get beyond the "COD" adolescent focus and the "arthouse to be arthouse" the xbox/sony culture provides.

Something I should point out is that the minimum price for the entire five seasons of The Pinball Arcade is $140: $20 for Season 1 and $30 for each subsequent season. That being said, it is also one of the highest-budget mobile games, mainly because Farsight has to work with pinball companies to obtain licenses. Williams is the one most stubborn about it, requiring Farsight to pay an upfront fee (around the several thousand dollar range, I believe, and it keeps going up) each time they want to create a digital version of a Williams table. In addition, they buy the machine outright to make sure the digital version is as authentic as possible, and there's also additional licensing fees if the table happens to have a licensed theme, such as The Addams Family. They're working on Doctor Who at the moment, which is undoubtedly a heavy one.
Hard to blame Williams - they don't make machines anymore but can still make money from the ones they did make, one last time. And if "video pinball" ever does become a fad, which I'm sure they have an eye on (look at video poker after all), they don't want to set a low price as precedent.

That said, real video pinball would need real paddle buttons with force feedback on the buttons. The actuator servos are what make pinball feel like pinball! That's something The Pinball Arcade can't do. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom