What controller do you use?

What controller do you use the most in Splatoon 2?

• Handheld

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Joy-Con Grip

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Joy-Con Split

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Pro Controller

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
And other than @Chaos_Knight using a PS4 controller with adapter, has anyone else been looking into pro controller/joy con alternatives? Most of the ones I've seen on the market sadly lack motion controls, and I'm one of those losers that use motion controls when available. Hnnn... maybe I'll split that off into a separate thread if anyone wants to go down that rabbit hole.
There are a couple that I came across before I bought an adapter. Some ranged around $25 I believe.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
I always play using the handheld because my hands are so large the controller feels tiny in my hand so I like to have something larger.

The wife and I got to try out a Pro Controller (and it is super sensitive) and she liked it so much I didn't want to use it instead of her so I didn't end up using it very much.

Every time she sees a Pro Controller in GameStop or something you can almost see the drool. but I've dropped so much money on two switches and accessories that I really didn't want to spring for two additional controllers as well.

But it did not occur to me to try to hook up my PS4 controller to the switch. That might be a game-changer. And if that works out I won't have to buy two pro controllers! Haha!

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
To re-iterate how much I prefer the pro controller: The left joystick on my pro controller get messed up, and I had to send it back to Nintendo for a (free) repair. They said it would be about two weeks from sending to getting it back, so I actually went out and bought a second pro controller just so I could have it to play Splatoon with during those 2 weeks. I tried the joycons for a day or so and it was just not cutting it.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
To re-iterate how much I prefer the pro controller: The left joystick on my pro controller get messed up, and I had to send it back to Nintendo for a (free) repair. They said it would be about two weeks from sending to getting it back, so I actually went out and bought a second pro controller just so I could have it to play Splatoon with during those 2 weeks. I tried the joycons for a day or so and it was just not cutting it.
Something similar happened at mine. Whilst I don’t mind using joycons I mostly just use them for handheld mode, but the pro controller stopped syncing up. Someone else in my house plays splatoon and I forgot to tell them I had insurance on the pro controller so I could go and pick up a new one for free, and by the time I picked it up they had bought a new one. So now we have two. One is still sealed in the box.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Either pro controller or joycon depending if playing on TV or not.
Usually playing on TV thoug so i choosed pro.

I use my PS4 controller via an adapter since there's no way I'm paying $60-70 for the Pro Controller. Motion controls work great though.

I have been using the Joy Cons separately recently, and found my performance much better. Funnily enough, I've wondered if I could use the Wiimote and Nunchuck when the first game was announced.
This makes my wish ps4 shooters would implent motion controls.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
I use the joycons attached to the grip thingy. My hands are extremely small so I don't have any discomfort with it.

shinyebooks

Inkling
NNID
shinyebooks
Switch Friend Code
SW-4410-2168-3336
I use the joy cons grip cuz it’s the poor man’s pro controller. Though, I don’t see what the problem is using it. I only have trouble accidentally pressing the y button occasionally and it throws my aiming off...

SquidletSquidlet

Inkster Jr.
One cool thing about handheld is not so much the mechanical aspect, but the fact that the whole game is self-contained. For some reason, I'm almost always way better at a handheld version of a game; very much the case for me in Smash, ARMS, and Mario Kart. In Splatoon it was a handicap at first but now I like it about the same as playing on the TV.

So, a tie between pro controller and handheld. I'm actually gonna try the whole joy-con split setup though. I had no idea that even was possible, so thanks Squidboards!

PuddleDrinker

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3314-6713-7516
I use pro controller since I played Splatoon 1 a lot with the gamepad. They have a similar feeling. Plus I have arthritis and the pro controller is gentler my hands than the joycons. Waiting for the day they release some sort of comfort grip for it or something so I can play longer.

I think the most interesting controller setup I've seen is my friend/teammate who plays with split joycons and sort of curls her entire body up on her desk chair with the switch between her knees. I don't know how she does it. But she's an amazing sloshing machine main so something's working lol.

Noodlez_

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3763-3506-4409
I use a splatoon pro controller, I like the joy cons but the contoller just works best for me

McSquid82

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I love the joycons, but I’m sorry, the best way to sploon is on a pro controller. With such a fast paced game I find I more often than not press the y button when I mean to jump, and as someone that plays Luna that can really throw off my aim. People have noticed me do a complete 180 when trying to perfect a shot, and yeah it’s about as annoying as it sounds.

I honestly do not understand how anyone plays split joycons. I wish I could do that but it’s a kind of pat your head rub your belly situation because I just don’t have the coordination to be able to aim with just my right hand. I guess it’s better if you’re a pc gamer, but I digress, pro controller is perfect, apart from one really gross thing. Admittedly it was worse on the game pad, but the pro controller collects a lot of hand sweat, or at least, I think that’s what that gunk is. I dread to think.
I would say price is probably a factor. Pro controllers are eighty bucks plus tax where I live, and even if you own a Switch and Splatoon 2, that's a lot of cash to throw around, especially if you've gotten good with another style.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I wanna praise the ones who use split joy-cons. I don’t know how you can get used to it. I use the joy-con grips....but I’m noticing that the competitive pros use the pro controller. I’m not on that level and can’t justify spending $80 for a wireless pro controller. lol I imagine the pro controller would feel just like my Xbox controller but I still can’t drop that much on a controller

Elec

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3364-3100-3934
I used the joy-cons for maybe 80 hours before deciding to give the Pro Controller a shot out of curiosity. The joy-cons are cool, but the comfort of the Pro Controller was totally worth it.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I use the handheld because I can't be bothered to plug in my dock. If I were to play docked, I'd use the Joycon grip. I like the clicky triggers of the Joycons, since I've mained the Inkbrush for so long.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Somewhat of an update. Finally treated my wife to a Pro Controller. And she's played every day since. So if I want to use the Pro Controller I will either need to pry it from her cold dead fingers or drop another $80 on another one...
I really don't want to drop another $80 into these things... Lol

Not a hundred percent sure on exactly how much we spent on switches and it switch accessories but it's got to be over a thousand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom