• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What is your list of best to worst maps?

Kyliekhan★

Inkling
NNID
smol.pug
Sorry for not using the fancy colors like everyone else, I'm new to using bb codes :)

1-Blackbelly Skatepark: I love how small and simplistic this map is. My brush seems to like the squids in it, too.
2-Port Mackerel: Great for using seekers, Sniper rifles, and Paint buckets. Rollers mean absolutely nothing in this map, which is the only thing keeping it from being my favorite.
3-Camp Triggerfish: i honestly just love this map for no actual reason
4-Piranha Pit: Most people seem to dislike this map.. Not sure why. I think it may be the conveyer belts. I actually like them, they can be helpful when used right.
5-Arowana Mall: Kind of an over-used map, but I can still respect it. It's very easy to camp/get camped, though.
6-Moray Towers: i've just grown to love this map.. i used to hate it as much as saltspray but it's just my guilty pleasure at this point
7-Urchin Underpass: Because who doesn't like this map? Pretty much any weapons (if in the right hands) are good here.
8-Bluefin Depot: I actually dislike this map.. Just not as much as the ones below..
9-Kelp Dome: sorry no
10-Walleye Warehouse: cringes
11-Saltspray Rig: screams

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
Here's my stage preference, 1 being the most preferred stages and 16 being the least preferred stages:

1) Ancho-V Games

2) Piranha Pit

3) Urchin Underpass

4)
Blackbelly Skatepark

5)
Museum d'Alfonsino

6)
Hammerhead Bridge

7)
Walleye Warehouse

8)
Moray Towers

9)
Camp Triggerfish

10)
Arowana Mall

11)
Kelp Dome

12)
Bluefin Depot

13)
Port Mackerel

14)
Mahi-Mahi Resort

15)
Saltspray Rig

16)
Flounder Heights

Last edited:

Joasa

Depressed Squid
Well on a scale of "Would play 24/7" to "Please kill me I'm just gonna wait 4 more hours"

1. Piranha Pit
Awesome map, I love going off to the side areas in the beginning. In a good round I can launch 2-3 inkstrike before I even encounter the other team. Also the open area is awesome for combat and snipers usually aren't a problem.
2. Camp Triggerfish I can usually get a lot of kills on this map and it's a great map for both my roller and brushes. The only downside of the Sniper gauntlet.
3. Ancho-V Games Love it for a lot of the same reasons as Piranha, very open and a lot of ground area, the fan lifts are great for taking down enemies while still staying out of their range.
4. Kelp Dome I like how it's big and flat and open
5. Mahi Mahi Resort
6. Flounder Heights
7. Museum D'Alfonsino
8. Blackbelly Skatepark
9. Arowana Mall
10. Moray Towers
11. Urchin Underpass
12. Hammerhead Bridge
13. Walleye Warehouse
14. Saltspray Rig
15. Port Mackerel
16. Bluefin Depot

(WIP)

Last edited:

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
From Best to Worst

Bluefin Depot - My first splatoon match was on this map and I really liked it. There's something to be liked about fighting 2v2 and then in the aftermath seeing who's won and lost and which parts of the map to take. I will say it can be difficult when it's charger city, but I enjoy it when it's me and someone else on the ground and two chargers up top.

Museum D'Alfonsino - I just like how this map is, I prefer fights over the middle over spawn camping and this map make sure sure there's only one way into yours and enemy territory. I can usually perform decently here, and I remember some good splat zones games here. Rainmaker.. not so much.

Walleye Warehouse - I hated this map at first. I hated how easily it was to get shoved back and be unable to escape but I've since warmed to it as it is probably the most equal map for any weapon, and again some good Splat Zones games, turning it around in extra time or taking control after being on the brink of defeat and getting a knockout.

Kelp Dome - Another map I disliked at first, I just found myself getting caught off guard to easily here, but since learning I've made progress and actually enjoy this map now. I usually find myself in a 1 on 1 firefight at the beginning Andy then move into the centre.

Port Mackerel - Even though playing ranked has given me some disdain for this map as of recent, it's always a good map for me, I like taking in the classic squiffer or another weapon I like but don't play too often and just wrecking things. Another map I've had good splat zones games in too, with the Tri Slosher.

Moray Towers - Is it weird I don't tend to get killed too often by Chargers here? It's the one where I rarely get killed, maybe because it's so infamous I subconsciously avoid them, but it is difficult when you're trapped back at spawn. The ranked modes are what make this map for me. I don't think I've played Rainmaker here (if you can) but Tower Control and Splat Zones were both very enjoyable experiences.

Saltspray Rig - Hmm, there's a lot to say about this map but I tend to get some good games on here. I like getting stealth kills just sitting on the side, if we go for the top first, and with a brush I just like running past everyone dodging shots to take the top of the map, or spend the whole game fighting the one other guy who wants the bottom. It's just nice I think, a variety of ways to go, and going as a team and taking back the top in the last 30 seconds is fun.

Flounder Heights - Another map I just didn't like at first. There are so many ways to go I'd constantly be caught off guard, but now I've warmed up to it it's a pretty enjoyable map, another good for stealth kills to anyone that comes up top and doesn't ink the corners around the grate first, and sending seekers over the top is fun too. I've had decent results with all modes in ranked too.

Piranha Pit - Another fun map, that's huge as well, I tend to take care of the side areas, build up a kraken or bubbler and then just wail on the middle. Sometimes it's difficult to get out once pushed back but if that doesn't happen it's still possible to win. Theres a lot of ways to go and the conveyor belts really make it unique. This would've been higher but I just liked the others better.

Mahi Mahi Resort - I bet most people would expect I used to hate this map because of always falling in the water, but I did all my falling in the water back on Bluefin Depot, so that's not as much of a problem anymore. I like how half the map shows up 2 minutes in to give the losing team a better chance to get back into it if they're being spawn camped, and I love sitting on the wooden middle platformers with a splattershot pro or a charger. One thing I dislike is in Rainmaker, if you don't go straight left but then go left onto the grey platform and try to jump to the other grey platform you just fall straight in the water. Many a time I've gone to do this and died immediately, forgetting it's this way in ranked.

Blackbelly Skatepark - Another map I like that's unfortunately low because I like the others better. It's awkward getting spawn camped but otherwise there's a lot of ways to go, and to catch your breath if being hunted down, and it tends to be really fun in Turf Wars. I hate the Splat Zones here though. Too small and too close together. In Port Mackerel they were further away and in Flounder Heights they were bigger, here neither I said the case and it just makes keeping them exhausting.

Ancho V Games - There's a lot to like but also a lot not to like. It's awkward to get to people with the propeller lifts, but they can be a good escape too. Spawn Campers can't get all the way into your area, but they can still get close enough to make life very difficult getting out. Getting back out from the middle can be difficult if you want to retreat to catch your breath but it also corners them too. For every problem there's a counter, I'm just not great at this map.

Urchin Underpass - I guess another one I feel awkwardly neutral about. That dip in the middle makes it difficult to tell exactly what's going on til you go down there and get splatter from somewhere. I like going under the gates up to the side and exploring all the different ways to go, but I don't really have as much fun a son some of the higher maps, and I swear, every single time in Tower Control and Rainmaker, th either team pushes the objective almost right to the end at the start and we just can't recover.

Hammerhead Bridge - This one can be a pain. Those grates can make it hard to see, and as I tend to go to the left at the start there's a lot to focus on. I tend to stay on the lower ground but that can make it more difficult to get out and away. It's the worst when the other team takes the middle and pushes onwards, but other than that I don't really have a problem with it, I've had some good games had bad games, I guess the reason it's so low is I never really feel safe.

Arowana Mall - That steep ramp at the top is the bane of my existence. I never ever go straight anymore for that reason alone. climbing up is immensely difficult when people are standing at the top, and because it's so step as soon as you start shooting if youre close range you'll often fall back down and have to do it all over again. I tend to go left and right now instead but even then, I have trouble shooting down from the other ramps, and people struggle getting up while I'm there so it's a stalemate til someone else outside my range shoots me. It can be a fun map other than that, and I like the aesthetic but for me this is a difficult one.

Camp Triggerfish - liked the look and sound of this one I really did, but it's weird map design. The middles are separated and to get to the other side you have to climb on grates or go right to their base and just shoot at them. You could just sit up there all day shooting down and it's only in the last minute they can actually do anything about it. Long Range weapons definitely have the advantage here, which is fine, but often times I just struggle at anything I do here. Stay and defend? Warding off someone on the top who just sneaks to the other side as the others make their path through the other grates. Sit on the wall and charge shots? They always find one way in. Go on the offensive? Even if I make it all the way to their set of grates into our base I'm usually killed on their second offensive. It's not a bad map by any means, it wouldn't even be my worst if it weren't for ranked battles. I haven't had too much experience with Rainmaker and Tower Control here (not sure why but I always end up playing Splat Zones) but I'd say Camp Triggerfish's Ranked Battles are the most difficult of any map. It's Splat Zones are even more the bane of my existence than the ramps in Arowana Mall. When I stay and defend, everyone stays and defends,a nod whilst I'm fighting off the long range weapons we all get killed by a Carbon Roller or the like. When I go and attack, I may be able to kill a few, but I end up shooting back to cover my own splat zone in which case I get killed. I get this feeling nobody knows really what to do, at least in the ranks I've been in, and indecisiveness gets you killed in Splatoon. I'll agree, I'm never sure of what to do, but I commit to a path, even if we end up losing, or it gets me the worst track record of the team, I'll stay defending if I have to. I'm just cursed here, heheh. Maybe it'll get better in the future, maybe it won't.

Sorry about the enormous post, also thank goodness it saves every minute, my browser crashed in the middle of the final description and I was certain I'd lost around 15 minutes of writing.

★Forge

Senior Squid
NNID
Slumplush
1. Piranha Pit. My First ever game of Splatoon was on this map, It's nice and big, Chargers aren't a problem for me on this one because there is many paths and if I do try to Splat one, the conveyer belts helps me to sneak up on them. In Ranked, I only play Rainmaker, and this stage no longer exists, so not a problem :)

Flounder Heights. Again, Nice and big, Many places to hide and chargers and blasters don't usually appear on this stage, Great for inkstrikes and krakens, And is just a nice stage to play on.

Kelp Dome. A good stage for Rollers, Splatlings, Brushes and Especially Guns, The Railings are actually useful here, Unlike... Hammerhead Bridge, Rainmaker is so much fun here, Two main paths unlike Mahi Mahi Resort that has like 6, I get more wins than losses here, One of the main reasons I really like it :)

Arowana Mall. I enjoy this map because it's wide and bigger than Port Mackerel. I know chargers are a problem, but hey, Some people like Chargers, And I don't mind them ;)

5. Moray Towers. I like Moray Towers, because I like using the Custom Scope every few days or so, and this is my favourite stage for it, If I don't maybe Long Ranged Guns or Rollers.

Saltspray Rig. Very unstable, I find it fun if you practise at it with an easy weapon and I learned to love it.

Camp Triggerfish. Love this for Rainmaker, Run Opening Gambit and a good shield popping weapon and you should do really well.

Urchin Underpass. Idk what to really say about this one, I enjoy it for both turf war and Rainmaker.

Mahi Mahi Resort. I'm alright with this one, When this comes up I like to use Sloshers to defeat chargers and guns amd Rollers probably one of the superior Slosher stages if you are good at them

Museum Alfonsino. I understand why people hate this one, but I'm okay with it, my only problem is getting spawn camped is hell

11. Blackbelly Skatepark. This is the point where I start to dislike stages. But this one isn't too bad.

12. Port Mackerel. No one likes this stage.

Bluefin Depot. Horrible layout stage, Just Cringe

Ancho V Games. What Can I Say? Propeller lifts are useless, Too many obstacles, Very unbalanced based on the teams' weapons. And if you get stuck in your spawn, you're not getting out. Every way you go, someone is there waiting.

15. Hammerhead Bridge. Ew, This stage, Well to start half the stage is the freaking Bridge and nothing to ink, chargers are useless and try walking across the bridge someone get from below, Try swimming under the bridge someone will Splat you on top of the bridge, Tower Rainmaker and Zones are all Crap, I tend to never play on this stage.

16. Walleye Warehouse. Well here it is, My least favourite, I can NEVER win or even get past the middle without being sniped, shot or killed by a dynamo, Those crates are terrible and just annoy me so much, Though atleast I can get a few wins on HHB. This? No, This is just a horrible excuse of a stage... And Nintendo just had to choose it for The Last Splatfest. NEVER play this stage, I wish this would just get removed from Splatoon.

SonnyBlueBalls

Full Squid
NNID
ReaganMcClellan
Pirahna pit. I cannot play this map on ranked. At. All. It never seems to come up in my rotation.

Edit: I realise this is not a list. Im fair to decent at all the other maps. I might come back with a list later . My mistake!

Last edited:

kilusion2011

Inkling
NNID
darkthief2011
From "Best stage ever" to "oh..." in my opinion! (Based on Turf Wars)

1) Saltspray Rig - I played this stage during the testfires and it brings a lot of good memories for me.I have a lot of fun on this stage and it's never boring for me.

2) Blackbelly Skatepark - Even though it's the smallest map in-game I find it to be one of the most balance map and it has a creative design.

3) Kelp Dome - I enjoyed this map in single player mode and I like all of the ways to ambush your enemy team.

4) Flounder Heights - If this stage could talk,it would say "me me big boy". I love swimming up the walls.I find that to be very creative.

5) Mahi-Mahi Resort - I'm surprised that this stage doesn't get talk/loved a lot.I like how colorful the environment is and the rising turf mechanic.

7) Museum d'Alfonsino - it spin it goes woosh woosh woosh

8) Ancho-V Games,Piranha Pit,Hamerhead Bridge,Port Mackerel,Urchin Underpass,and Arowana Mall - All of these are meh to me.

9) Moray Towers - This is the part were I being to dislike the stages.Moray Towers was fun at first,but it became repetitive and it seems like the long range weapons dominate this stage.

10) Bluefin Depot - I don't like the design of this stage and the way it splits is annoying to control cause you got one side under control,but then the other side is taking over.So you go to that side and the cycle seems to start all over again.

11) Walleye Warehouse - Snipers and Luna Blasters seem to dominate this stage and it really bugs me.It's hard to ambush the other team unless you're really fast and sneaky or if the enemy team is dead.You can get trapped very easily and it's hard to take back control once the enemy team right at your base.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
1) black belly skatepark: i love using sloshers and since they are really good in this stage imo, i like it. though i love the design too and how actually near any weapon can be useful here. (in turf war)

2) flounder heights: My favorite 'vertical' stage since inking walls matters , and opens up lots of possibility. due to this, weapons from all ranges have both have a benefit but need to stay sharp to avoid an ambush.

3) ancho-V games: the platform/van gimmick works very well here, especially the 2 rising platforms in the center. it also easy to make a comback imo since there are lots of area's of limits for enemy's giving lots of opportunities to break through.

4) saltspray ridge: i understand why people dislike this but for my, i really like the concept of this stage.
the upper area also seems to be overrated in turf war, one team camps there allowing the other team to ink everything else easily and dominate the stage as a result is not too uncommon.

5) mahi mahi resort: i adore the changing gimmick that happens mid-way a match that changes the stage. kinda gives hope in a seemingly hopeless situation too since you can ambush enemy's with different tactics, especially teams relying on long range attackers should beware.

6) urchin underpass: there so much options and tactics you can use in the lower center area and near/on each 'mountain' each team has.
though my gripe, its too hard to make a comeback and the terrain in near each base makes it easy to camp.

7) hammerhead bridge: an open stage yet the main bridge in the center of the level makes shorter range weapon usefull too.
though usually my more intense stage too since you can get attacked from lots of directions. (love/hate relationship)
i dislike how you can possibly dominate a base though.

8) port mackarel: i thought snipers/long range attackers would be too unbalanced here but it isn't too bad and short-range weapons that are sneaky can be a real threat.
opponents locking you in your base is a threat unfortunately.

9) walleye ware house: snipers can easily dominate if your team lacks counters. though its fun how you can break through if you have the guts and opportunity and should not be underestimated.
although hard, another stage in which once a team is in the opponents base, gg to the other team.

10) camp triggerfish: really like the concept but sometimes, it feels unbalanced. especially if the opponent team has a solid long-range attcker and/or short-range attacker.

11) piranha pit: another intense stage for my and thus hate/love relationship, i like the converter belts though.
snipers also seem to have a little too easy time here and the ground on the far left and right of the map are fun but feel unbalanced since it can give oppenets lots of space to ink and have a easier time dominating the base.

12) marowanna mall kinda meh for my, dunno why precisely. probably since you can easily dominate but fairly easily break through yourself making it somewhat unbalanced unless you let the enemy to the higher part of your base. gg too you.

13) museum d'alfonsino: hate how long range attackers have a boon here and base dominating. really like the whirling platforms though.

14) bleufin depot: its fun trying to keep enemy's at bay and attempt to find an opportunity to beak through to the other half of the map via the 2 platforms in the middle, but still too easy to dominate once your in the other half. this stage is a lot better in ranked imo though.

15) moray towers: the huge vertical factor of this stage is a nice idea but just doesn't work out making things repetitive and unbalanced.
i like how you can jump from high grounds to lower ones but that it.

16) kelp dome: ugh, one good long range attackers can already be enough to make this stage annoying for my.
and its too easy to reach and camp on the other enemy's base.

this is my personal list with opinions, mostly based on turf war.

Sam2123

Inkling
1. Camp Triggerfish. I ADORE this map. Idk, it's just something about it. How there is no mid, and how the way to infiltrate the opponents side, it's just great. Every mode it works really well.

2. Flounder Heights. This one had to grow on me. I used to hate it, but now it's awesome. The really tall walls allows for unpredictable movements as if you are in zone, it's hard to pin point where the opponent will pop out from. This map is just a fun stage to play on.

3. Walleye Warehouse. Another grower, I always am happy when this stage pops up on the rotation. Being an offensive aggressive player, the close quarterness of kid in walleye is great! Snipers can shoot you down,but hiding on right and left side makes their job difficult. It's a great map for all modes and just refreshing.

4. Kelp Dome. This one when I first started playing was like a maze, and it kinda is. It's very large, and it's unique shape makes it really fun and unique to play on. Adding to that is the catwalks. All modes work out well on this map, and it's just a nice map to play on.

5. Blackbelly Skatepark. This map is the smallest map, which makes things fun. Every weapon can do well on this map. Splat zones is a blast cause how close and small the zones are. It's just a high strung battle every time.

6. Saltspray Rig. I really like this map. There are lots of good choke points and high places. One negative on this map is how small the lower area is on this map, other than that, I just like it!

7. Arowana Mall. This map I don't like, but I don't hate. It's a map that's just a happy medium for me.
8. Museum d'Alfonsino
9. Piranha Pit
10. Hammerhead Bridge
11. Urchin Underpass
12. Ancho-V Games
13. Port Mackerel
14. Bluefin Depot
15. Moray Towers
16. Mahi-Mahi Resort
As you can see (hopefully), this is a wip.

Last edited:

Woomyman

Inkling
16. Saltspray Rig - This map seems to have a good variety of 3 completely different places but none seem to satisfy. The buttom is about 15-30 seconds of gameplay the connection of the buttom and high levels doesn't feel nice to go through. The high level is well disigned in terms of gameplay but one huge problem it has giving it this spot is how unbalanced the amount of turf to cover there so controlling there is more than likely to give the victory though it's not 100%. Overall it's the only map I'm kind of upset for playing on.

15. Piranha Pit - This map actually has the most turf to cover out of all but it honestly feels a bit bland. Beyond the gimmick and the turf the map doesn't offer much and it's not very hard to win by a lot but it isn't very broken when compared to Saltspray Rig giving an edge for my countdown.

14. Museum d'Alfonsino - The map is too friendly for snipers in my opinion though I do like the challenge in getting to the other side. My main problem in once I'm getting there is being bored easily. Beyond covering a bit of turf I don't feel satisfied like I can actually go elsewhere from there except for back to the middle and my base which I'll have no work to do due to having teammates covering turf for me. This map is saved though by how it work in Splat Zones personally it does there the best job.

13. Blackbelly Skatepark - Even with the map being the smallest in terms of turf the awkward mobility and how easy it is to keep the opponents in their base it still offers a good gameplay and with the main theme being well done the mobility is overlooked. With the map being small I don't have much more to say.

12. Walleye Warehouse - The most generic small map but not a bad one. Pretty similar to Blackbelly Skatepark with the size the problem of keeping the opponents in their base and overall size but due to a fine mobility this map is higher.

11. Port Mackerel - Originally considered for me as the worst due to it having nothing interesting about the disign but since I started looking on the gameplay too I realized it passed all the previous maps with how balanced it is. Also it's more fun since I started to main the Rapid Blaster Pro (Yes it exists. The Rapid Blasters are overlooked due to not being a 1 shot to kill).

10. Camp Triggerfish - With what I said about balanced maps before this one doesn't seem right for how easy it is to camp (Realized the name) with one Charger Scope Splatling or Rapid Blaster Pro :D but it has 3 things to make up for it. One is how unlikely it is to have only one team with the mentioned weapons. Second is the last minute. And finaly this map existing only in Turf Wars.

9. Ancho-V games - While I think the propellers should've been used more it features nice gameplay where you never stays in the same places which helped me to once achieve over 1.5k points with my N-Zap '89 (1513 but who counts). Also from here and on no map has the problem of keeping the other team in the base being to easy.

8. Moray Towers - Like Museum d'Alfonsino this map has the sniper being overpowered but in 1 minute at most one team will manage to get inside the other's base. Also while this map is the most vertical it doesn't mean it's liniar with all the shortcuts helping against snipers. Most importantly is how overall it's fun and when getting up you feel so satisfied and you feel like you have where to go since its shortcuts will probably have like 2 opposite inklings doing the same in your base overall since the map has this gameplay I'm happy it returns for the sequal the only map I wanted more is...

7. Urchin Underpass - Actually it would stay so if it didn't appear in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. In my opinion the face of the game and the generic big map that doesn't have any main theme but doesn't need one. As mentioned before it has good gameplay and honestly reminds me of the Temple stage in Melee. Anyone else?

6. Hammerhead Bridge - This map is the opposite of the previous one. This time instead of close place we have open enviroment and since I like mid-long range main weapons it outshines in this case but it's also balanced since you can't turn into squid most of the time in the middle-up part. Also it gives more places to go at the start and this game doesn't need liniar stages.

5. Arowana Mall - Most people will disagree saying it should be lower than Hammerhead Bridge but eventaully the defensive design is still here and giving the edge is snipers being less powered with medium range weapons taking them out in the middle. While it's less open it features a better gameplay in my opinion.

4. Kelp Dome - Not much I haven't mentioned. Open and none-liniar disign hard to keep in base no weapon being overpowered and just plays well.

3. Mahi Mahi Resort - The place is good designed and themed the colours are beautiful and everything I mentioned before still stands so being on the top half of the maps isn't a challenge but when the map changes it's a crime to not give it one of the top spots.

2. Flounder heights - While not as good looking as Mahi Mahi Resort the design is better for me. It's balanced for all weapons since short range can go up regularly medium range can go up walls and long range can snipe from the base. Not much we haven't mentioned.

1. Bluefin Depot - Short range weapons will hate me since all I talked about is balance but no list is 100% objective so here we are. Snipers also can find this map annoying since with it being vertical they still aren't very strong but it is a perfect map for medium range and since I main the N-Zap '89 the Splattershot Pro and the Rapid Blaster Pro it's perfect for me. Throwing sprinklers feels right as well as Inkstrikes. When camping the seekers can be used and overall it's fun for me. Not to mention the map isn't liniar at the buttom which is nice to choose where to go but at the top it is making it hard to get to the other side and satisfying like in Moray Towers but with snipers slightly less powered and shooters more. It's my favourite for Turf Wars & Rainmaker it plays good in Tower Control too and for Splat Zones... It should have 2 but overall good gameplay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom