• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

what other games have grabbed your attention lately?

kyubone

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4233-4941-7227
meowdy! just curious to see what everyone else has been playing outside splatoon lately, and how much overlap there is with different kinds of players who enjoy the silly squid game.

here are my top picks for the past few months!

Baldur’s Gate 3: goes without saying, goty was deserved. i’m not a big d&d enjoyer but i do love tabletop games, and bg3 really leans into the story elements i love without beating me over the head with reminders that it’s still 5e, so it’s been a really nice experience so far. i’m just starting act 2 so i still have a long way to go! i’ve been playing a half-elf druid (dark urge because you know i gotta do it) and mostly using wyll, shadowheart, and karlach in my party.

Guilty Gear Strive: the first 2d fighter i really got into and still the one i’d consider myself the best at. i used to play smash but was pretty unhappy with it competitively, so after i moved away from my old smash friends, i pretty much dropped the game entirely. strive turned out to be exactly what i was looking for, and now i’m completely in love with anime fighters - their style, movement, and flashy visuals are just perfect (this game also got me into Blazblue Centralfiction, another banger from the same studio)! being the dignified gentleman i am, of course i main leo whitefang. one king deserves another, after all. 👑

Stardew Valley: cozy, comfy, timeless. i’ve bought and played this game several times on every gaming platform i own, and every time i reinstall it i find something new to love! i’m in winter of year 2 in my current playthrough and pretty proud of my progress since i’m definitely a casual player (my farm is an unoptimized mess, but it’s a beautiful mess and i refuse to change it). should be done with the community center very soon, too! to those who play, who are your favorite villagers? mine are penny, sam, leah, abigail, and willy. maybe i just vibe with artsy nerds and wizened old fishermen, which brings us to the next game…

Deep Rock Galactic: it’s like salmon run times 50 with doom-esque shooter mechanics, crazy weapons, and a core gameplay loop that’s kept me hooked for well over 300 hours. i LOVE this game. it’s always a great time with friends, stays pretty cheap on steam, and scratches my co-op gaming itch every time i hop on. please give it a try as long as you can handle dark caves and big alien spiders! if that sounds upsetting, this game may not be for you, which is totally fair. it’s still a blast to play, though, and the balancing among the 4 classes is so close to perfect that i could write a whole essay about it… and i just might. 50% of the time i play gunner, and the other 50% is divided pretty evenly among the last 3 classes (but engineer is my second favorite for sure).

hope to hear what y’all are enjoying as well! stay cool out there ⛄

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
Strive, BBCF and DRG already here so I might as well contribute something else.

Ultrakill: Fastest game I've ever played probably? Single player fps where you play as a silly robot who's only goal is to survive by bathing in the blood of the denizens of hell. It scratches every itch possible for me, and I'm not even really an fps fan. Movement is insane and can be honed to a point where you're zipping across the screen at mach 10, some of the coolest guns in any game (everyone talks about the coin toss but it really is that sick, my fav gun) but not too many to the point where there's bloat or overlap. All of the weapons have something to master about them, and they all combo together in unique ways. Good enemy variety and level layouts, bosses that range from titans to hyper-fast player clones to Dark Souls pattern bosses. Set pieces environments are great and the music bangs. Hard game, my first playthrough I D-Ranked the entire back half of the levels. Going back is probably the best experience I've had replaying a game, though. Currently taking a small break from the game before I attempt my P-2 Violent P-Rank to 100% the game, I definitely am not mentally prepared, iykyk. And yes I'm basically treating this like a space to shill for the game I like. Give it your money NOW.

Inscryption: Have a lot less I wanna say about this one because it's more something you experience blind, but roguelike + card games is really cool as someone who grew up with Yu-Gi-Oh and some MTG. Atmosphere goes crazy. Not gonna lie there's some ARG elements that are kinda strange and I'm not a huge fan of, but the game is great regardless. 100%-ing the campaign and full roguelike side mode were both fun.

Piggy

Inkling
Pronouns
they/any
I recently started playing Poptropica and it makes me wish I discovered it in its heyday instead of pretty much the end of its life.

briank913

Pro Squid
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
Pokemon Scarlet. I got Violet for Black Friday and really enjoyed the endgame. So I bought Scarlet with the DLC added for roughly $50. Playing with a different team this time.

Super Princess Peach: Was interested in it for a while and finally got a copy!

Debating on getting Car Quest because Vasko lol

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Just picked up Under Night In-Birth II [Sys: Celes], having a blast with it. Just hit A rank with Vatista this morning, and I still haven't learned a proper BnB yet. Also here's a funny highlight.

Also grabbed Another Code Recollection a little while ago, finished the first game and then UNI2 stole my attention away before I could start on the second. I'll get back to it soon.

And then there's the perennial games I'm always playing: Skullgirls, Them's Fightin' Herds, Slay the Spire, and Riichi Mahjong.

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
does sudoku count

actual answer: i'd like to play pikmin 4 at some point ... i've been into pikmin since i was little watching my dad play it on gamecube but i've never actually played a pikmin game myself LOL. i also played oneshot over winter break and wanna go back for the true ending at some point. i wanted to get suika game for switch but since they just put it on the jp ios app store i think i'll wait until its available globally so i can play it on my phone when i'm bored d:

KrisSplatoon

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they/she
Switch Friend Code
SW-4981-4348-0990
finished playing the steam version of OneShot a few months ago and it made me cry alot 😭 really cute story and characters, and it's $10 base price iirc so it's hard not to recommend

PreyingShark

Inkling
NNID
PreyingShark
Foamstars came out today so been trying that out and it's a blast tbh

Other than that been playing Soul Silver and Emerald.

Bluejay

Inkster Jr.
Ok I can write a serious answer now...I have not been playing a lot of games since I got into Splatoon. Some things I enjoyed includes:

1) Stardew Valley also! I've played solo and with friends, on PC & switch, both are incredibly fun. My favourite villagers are Emily and Shane (in this house we stan depressed drunk chicken man.) I maxxed out their little hearts but never dated anyone because it felt weird (only later I learned being aromantic is a thing, oops!) In my longest save I was somewhere in the 2nd year, filling my greenhouse with strawberries...

2) Dave the Diver! Hilarious diving adventure, a mix of action & puzzle & restaurant simulation. It's easy to enjoy, satisfying, not scary at all despite being under the sea, and still somewhat challenging. Mighi trigger intense cravings for sashimi.

3)Backpack Hero 🎒
It's like a mix of cult of the lamb & slay the spire, you choose between a few heroes to go on a roguelike run, where your power comes from organizing your backpack as you fill it with magical items XD
Downside: last time I played there were quite a few bugs, hope they fix it soon

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I've picked up animal crossing again lately. I'm not even sure what prompted it, it's just nice to decompress with and helps me fall asleep. Finally got around to getting my island to 5 stars!

Norilla

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1594-5651-4610
Mostly been playing Lethal Company, Palworld, World of Horror, Monster Hunter World (mostly to play with a friend who got it during Christmas), and Pizza Tower.
Have been playing older Pokemon titles and ROM hacks, but that's mostly for streams.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I impulse bought Persona 4 Golden and I can't get Shadow World out of my head now

Bonus hyperfixating is wanting to buy Persona 3 Royal too

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Just thought about how many different games I've been playing myself lately! Right now I'm bouncing between Omega Strikers, Teamfight Tactics, Pokemon Unite, The Talos Principle, Lethal Company, and both Risk of Rain games. Needless to say when I get free time who knows what I'll be playing, and from what genre!

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
Just thought about how many different games I've been playing myself lately! Right now I'm bouncing between Omega Strikers, Teamfight Tactics, Pokemon Unite, The Talos Principle, Lethal Company, and both Risk of Rain games. Needless to say when I get free time who knows what I'll be playing, and from what genre!
Roguelikes have become a recent facination of mine.

Vr Roguelikes seem to be weirdly common, like Sweet Surrender and Until You Fall

Hokuto

Full Squid
Pronouns
they/he/ze
Switch Friend Code
SW-5561-7608-9695
I impulse bought Persona 4 Golden and I can't get Shadow World out of my head now

Bonus hyperfixating is wanting to buy Persona 3 Royal too
Persona 4 Golden is so good. How much do you know so far? The less, the better, but once you have four possible teammates and clear at least... (I think you only have to get through the first two dungeons, and one is the tutorial area?) do yourself a favor and look up "P4A chase scene." That reminds me, I still need to do my NG+ challenge run and compendium completion. Feel free to chat me up about Persona 4 anytime!

To lead into my own picks, Persona 5 Royal has been pretty fun. I started playing Tycoon the other day and it is just as dangerous for me as Tableturf battles. I have a little Cohost blog where I share my observations and opinions.

I still have to finish the Indigo Disk in Pokémon Scarlet. I could. My team is pretty great. I just don't want to, probably because my brain is currently full of ink. (Blame it on the 'tism?)

Let's not talk about the games I own, but haven't played. :')

kyubone

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4233-4941-7227
HOLY WOW this blew up, so gimme a bit to go through all the replies today and i'll gladly add my thoughts!!! thank you all so much for your responses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom