• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What other modes do you expect?

Sheikashii

Senior Squid
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
I'm really hoping for horde mode. Just 4 (maybe 8) people against an onslaught of octos. Eventually even the various bosses.

Cleaning mode-3 teams 2 of 3; 1 of 2 the 2 member team has water cannons the water guns perma-knock out an inkling and take out ink but the water folk can't transform.

Kill the Kraken-1 player takes control of the Kraken (or octopus bosses maybe?) and the others try to knock him out.
Three really good ideas! I'd like to see these as well

Hi_C

Full Squid
Not sure if someone already posted about this (didn't really have time to read through all of the threads) but I think having a bomb plant objective gametype would work AMAZING in Splatoon. It could basically be an "ink bomb" that when detonated, it explodes a bunch of that person's teams ink over the map and they win the round. Maybe do like first to two wins. It could be a neutral start and then whoever has the bomb can carry it but cannot shoot, similar to like Halo. This would force a lot of teamwork and interesting strategies. I think it would be fine to be able to swim around since you can't shoot yourself and your team would have to cover you.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Splat the leader:
Each team is assigned a leader that they must protect for the round. First team to take out the opponent's leader wins. The leader will have a marker placed above their head that is always visible meaning both leaders are under constant pressure. To make up for the leader being permanently visible they wear the hero suit from single player to increase their defense.

Defend the base:
Each base would have 4 of the square sponges from story mode that you shoot to expand (2 on the left side of the map and 2 on the right). First team to fill the enemy's sponges with paint wins. The area to fill would be somewhere very close to spawn but not close enough where the enemy team could abuse the spawn invincibility. This mode would be a constant switch between offense and defense to prevent your opponents from advancing while trying to advance yourself. Splitting up the sponges means you would probably need a couple of pushes to successfully win. This would also make getting the first couple of squares easy due to the wide amount of space to protect while harder to get the remaining ones due to a smaller area to protect.

Race to the top:
Both teams race against each other to climb up the stage and take control of objectives. There would be 4 walls that both teams would have to climb and each wall has a sort of check point at the top where both teams can fight to sabotage each other from advancing further. This would be a flat like area like a regular stage and each check point would have a spot the team would need to control with paint (similar to ranked mode). While trying to advance you are also trying to defend the area you have already claimed since you need to control all 4 check points to win.

Everyone has already said some sort of variant of capture the flag so I won't even bother lol. I do agree that it would be a great game mode though!

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Definitely suggesting Capture the Flag again, but someone mentioning Oddball brings to my attention how amazing Oddball would be in this game!

SalvadoRPG

Inkling
I have tons of ideas, yet, this are modes I don't expect but I would love this ones could be in. Now here some important stuff: 1- I haven't read all the thread because I have some limited time. 2- The main idea of this modes are using the same assets from Hero Mode to use it into a multiplayer mode, with the assets already made, this hypothetical modes would be easier and faster to develop.

Shut down the lights!

This is a 4 vs 4 capture-the-flag mode which the main point is to capture the enemy's zapfish which is near the spawn point, similar to Team Fortress 2's capture the flag mode. But here is when the things change, because the Zapfish moves a lot (as we can see in Hero mode when you rescue them) you can't turn into a squid and because of that you will rely in your team to help you to get to your base.

Get up to the risky top!
This mode would be a 1 vs 1 mode where all you have to do is to get to the top of HUGE skyscraper to win, but ink about it, it isn't called "risky top!" for anything. In this mode you'll climb up avoiding hazards also featured in Hero Mode: sponges, ink-rails, ink spreaders, inkvisible platforms, etc. Each player has a skyscraper to climb and this mode is playable online and offline. Also, during the "race" this would play:

Dye, boss, dye!

In this online mode, 4 players -each one with a different color- will try to defeat a giant white balloon-ish boss trying to paint it as much as they can in 3 minutes, the player who covers more the boss with his/her ink will win. But here is a thing, the boss can defend by itself, shooting thinner to the arena causing some difficulties to the players. I haven't designed the boss yet, but here is something which kinda gets quite to my idea: Boss

Paintball hockey!
If you know hockey you kinda get the idea about how this goes, a 4 vs 4 mode where one team tries to score the opposing team. But now comes the Splatoon twist: instead of a hockey puck, you have an inkling-size pinball ball (which can't be painted, by the way) which you have to shoot to take it to the enemy goal, the ball by itself has a value of 1 point if score. Also, hockey rink-esque arena where you play this mode has some pinball bumpers around, this bumpers aren't just to look because the ball will increase or decrease its value if it touches a white or red bumper respectively. With this mechanic, one moment you might want to take it to your goal and another you might want to take it to the enemy's goal.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
Hey there everyone... I'm at work, so I can't play Splatoon, or any video games for that matter. Therefore, my minds runs wild with non-work related video game crap. I was trying to come up with game modes Nintendo could add into Splatoon. I'll list a few below with a description of them to get started!

Capture the Zapfish
  • Due to data mining, this is pretty much confirmed to be "Rain Maker." It's almost like Tower Control where you need to secure a neutral target and carry it to the enemy base. The target prevents you from super jumping, and if you take too long you will eventually splat, and the target will move back to its neutral location on the map.
Ink Ball
  • As stupid as this sounds, it could definitely be used as another Regular battle mode for some fun casual play with your friends. There is a ball in the middle of the map, you need to ink up the ground in order for it to travel in your ink, shooting it will move it. Score on the opponents spawn!
Grifball
  • Yes, like Halo. Rollers only, smash the hell out of the ball, splat opponents, 2 second respawn times, closed in portions of the maps, and when you score the ink ball explodes, and the round ends. Have fun!
Team Splat Match
  • Nintendo hates the word kill or death. They just couldn't create a new IP with anything that had the word death and kill in it, thus, we have splattered and splat... lol. This is self explanatory.
Anyway, How about you? What do you want to see in the game, or what do you think would work well as a game mode in Splatoon?

Figy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Hummana
I would like a teamdeath match type of mode but i hope they would change the respawn timing to make it quicker and add new spawns so people cant spawn camp. I think it would be cool if they could add more spawns to somehow do a FFA or 2v2v2v2.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
I would like a teamdeath match type of mode but i hope they would change the respawn timing to make it quicker and add new spawns so people cant spawn camp. I think it would be cool if they could add more spawns to somehow do a FFA or 2v2v2v2.
That would be nice! Seeing as they add things in such as moving objects and environmental aspects, I can't see why they wouldn't make new spawns. Thing is most maps are two sided, so they're not really designed for the type of game mode, it'll be difficult.

Anomilus

Inkling
NNID
Hyperdon
Two mode ideas I've had, one recent and one I've had for a while.

Advanced Turf Wars

The goal is pretty much the same as regular Turf War: Ink as much of the map as possible. There's a new element that will change the way you approach, however. The map is divided into three sections, starting close to your home base and extending out to the opponent's side of the map. Ink the initial section of the map for points as usual. However, once you pass into the 2nd section, your points double! And should you ink into the 3rd section of the map, your points for inking that section are tripled!! You'll know for sure how many points you're earning as you'll see a multiplier near your score that lets you know you're earning 2x or 3x the amount of points.

The winner of the game thus is not decided initially by the percentage of map, but rather the sum total points your team accumulated. You could ink the area closest to your home all you want and do pretty well in the second section, but letting the opponent too close to your home base could result in somebody earning a huge amount of points for their team. You may also wanna be careful about how you engage the enemy. Splatting them is great and all, but getting in a turf inking battle in the wrong section could mean you're just feeding them more points! If you gotta do that, do it close to their base or in the middle section where it evens out!

In the rare case of a tie, only then will map percentage decide the winner. This mode is set to 4 minutes as supposed to the usual 3 minute Turf War.

Treasure Hunters

Strewn across the map are 50 tokens, 25 belonging to your team and 25 belonging to the enemy. The objective is to collect all of the enemy's tokens before they collect all of your tokens. First to get all their opponent's tokens wins. However, there are some very important elements that make this much more complicated:

- Your opponent's tokens are invisible until they are revealed by inking them! They must be completely inked before they can be collected. But they're not too large, so it would only take a few seconds (depending on your weapon's fire rate).

- You can't see your own tokens... except by looking at the game map! You must be able to check the game map on occasion, especially to prevent an enemy player from stumbling upon one of your tokens and taking them back! Do you guard a precious token from a nearby foe? Do you act discreet and hope the enemy doesn't pick up that they're near a token? (Do you feign protector and lure enemies to search out fruitless areas and thus waste their time?)

- Tokens are hidden among the floor...AND THE WALLS! This mode is the one time where INKING THE WALLS COUNT!! They won't be hidden among hard-to-reach places, so everyone has a fair chance of finding one. But they are there (maybe), so you really have to examine everywhere.

- Interestingly, while the game randomly picks among a set of pre-chosen hiding spot to place the tokens, the rule of symmetry still applies. That means if you check your map and see one of your tokens, chances are if you go to the symmetrical equivalent of the other side of the map, you may find an enemy token! However - and this is important - TEN of the enemy's tokens are asymmetrically hidden! That means though you may use the symmetry rule to sniff out 15 of the tokens, you won't have the same fortune for the remaining 10. Luckily the same applies to your enemy, and you'll eventually know which of your 10 tokens are the asymmetrically hidden ones if you pay close enough attention. Search carefully for enemy tokens, guard your tokens well!

Now, first to get all 25 wins. If the timer runs out, it's whoever has the most tokens. In case of a tie however, the game goes into Tiebreaker mode (it's basically Overtime). When this happens, the uncollected token closest to each respective base will be revealed on the game pad! That means all players have a decision to make: Desperately guard that token from the enemy, or bravely infiltrate the enemy's area and obtain that final token? OR, provided the game didn't tie at 24, frantically continue your search and find just one more token to break the tie??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom