• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What other modes do you expect?

Bennie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
moogla
There are at least two core mechanics that would enable interesting game modes:
  1. Game modes where you have to touch the opposing team's base (to grab a mcguffin and bring it back or to drop a mcguffin or to tag it with your color)
  2. Game modes where the objective is to kill octolings or collecting auto-spawning items but only the ones of your teams' color (killing/collecting the opposite teams' stuff nets them points)
The first covers the CTF style modes and adds the idea of defending your core territory while lancing into the opposite teams' (and using ink to provide paths in or block advance)

The second focuses on quick identification and movement. I can imagine spawn points being color-able and spawning more of your color if you paint it. It penalizes spray and pray since you don't want to accidentally hit an NPC of the opposing team's color if they're actively chasing/engaging NPCs.
Alternately if the idea is to chase around NPC dohicks that actively evade all players then they don't need to be color/team specific. The key in such a mode would be controlling turf around spawn locations to get at them quickly.

Cr@zy &nger

Inkling
NNID
crazydylan123
I'm kind of guessing there might be a Team Death match mode but I wouldn't bet on it.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Hmm... maybe an obstacle racing mode ?

They could use the same platforming obstacles in the single player mode.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
I thought Horde Mode would be a given after single-player was announced. Teaming up with groups of others to take on/survive againts Octarians.

Glorified co-op single player, basically.

Heck, they could even expand and add stuff like Boss Rush, Speedrun/Challenge, or a mode where you could play as Octarians (vs Inklngs) themselves.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Been waiting for Capture the Zapfish this entire time. I can't think of a better game for CTF than Splatoon.

Jellykun

Senior Squid
NNID
Jellykun
One of the specials is the echolocator, which just reveals to your whole team where the other team are. That was suck for you haha!
And then there being 2 of them, one for each team, everyone knows where everyone is, lolol.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
I'd quite like one that involves removing paint, with water. Obviously it wouldn't really make sense, but I think one team attempting to reach a certain percentage, and the other team trying to ensure they're below that percentage when the match ends would be interesting, not drastically different to turf war but different enough for it to play differently.

In an ideal world though the removing paint game mode would involve Mario with FLUDD against the Inklings.

Also a Search and Destroy type mode would be interesting, if we had some bigger maps.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
Yeah! I love "break into the other team's base" gamemodes. I don't expect it because it would probably require a new set of maps, but a squid can dream.
I don't think new maps would be needed really. All you need is one spawner in the middle section of the current maps (ie. on the central tower in the skatepark, on the tower at the top part of saltspray rig, etc.) for the defender and use the other two for the attackers. Start the match with the whole turf covered by the defender's ink colour and if the attackers can get a person on the defender's spawner (possibly for a certain period of time) in 3 minutes they win. Alternately, for more logic, rather than having it an immediate win you could simply get rip of spawning for the defenders unless they can take the spot back, and you have to splat all the defending team to win, if the defenders manage to capture the point back they all spawn again and the battle goes on... to avoid simply hiding to elongate the match the side with the spawner in their colour at the end of 3 minutes wins too?

Going by the testfire trying to get back out when the map is dominated by the other colour is inkredibly difficult, but with two avenues of attack (and with the ability to super jumping between them), it should be doable, but still difficult enough to give the defender the advantage.

Let's call it Turf Defense?

I'm all in for Capture the Zapfish too, as well as an Octoling Invasion co-op mode... but I really want a Squidball mode like Ball mode from Tribes Vengance (and possibly Griffball, but I haven't played it). They're alot like CTF anyways, but I always found them fun, swimming with the ball should be a thing (but not super jumping) so you'll want to help your team-mates out by inking them a path to the opponents goal and defending them from getting spatted. Not sure how it's work on Saltspray Rig given that the spawners are on the same side though... perhaps that can just be an unusual map with the ball spawning at the bottom and the goals at the top/vice-versa for maximum chaos.

Last edited:

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I would like a racing mode where you race to and from checkpoints on the different maps to complete laps similar to the one in Halo 1. I feel like it would work with the mechanics pretty well.

Sheikashii

Senior Squid
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
Not really a mode but I'd like any mode to be able to be played in a 4 player split screen option. So you can play online with friends in the same house.

But in modes I'd love to see races!! Having obstacle courses that you have to traverse against another team would be cool. Think 2 lanes next to each other with a team on each and them having to spray sponges, climb walls with paint cleaners on them and stand on buttons then super jump. This would be the most fun thing probably in this whole game. I can see that being competitive. People can challenge each other with their times and strategies. This is all possible but having a course creator would be awesome too but it's a bit of a stretch.

That is all. You're welcome Nintendo lol

N7Kopper

Inkling
NNID
N7Kopper
Not really a mode but I'd like any mode to be able to be played in a 4 player split screen option. So you can play online with friends in the same house.
Anything above 2P splitscreen isn't really possible, I'm afraid. And even that's unlikely. The GamePad is a big part of the game, and the Wii U can't connect more than two of them at a time, on the hardware level. (Software outright only allows one, but this can actually be changed)

And besides, I'm not sure the game could handle eight screens (four Pads, and a four way split) nearly as well as it could handle four. (half of both)

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Some sort of a Race Mode would be fun, i dont expect it but it would be kinda nice~

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Anything above 2P splitscreen isn't really possible, I'm afraid. And even that's unlikely. The GamePad is a big part of the game, and the Wii U can't connect more than two of them at a time, on the hardware level. (Software outright only allows one, but this can actually be changed)

And besides, I'm not sure the game could handle eight screens (four Pads, and a four way split) nearly as well as it could handle four. (half of both)
I mean, obviously it wouldn't be on gamepads, but that doesn't mean that it's not possible to have four on the TV (not that that's been encourage on anything since, like, 2006)

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
I mean, obviously it wouldn't be on gamepads, but that doesn't mean that it's not possible to have four on the TV (not that that's been encourage on anything since, like, 2006)
Playing Splatoon without the map or super jump abilities (which require the game pad) would get rid of any advantage gained by playing together as a team you would need minimum 2 consoles with two gamepads each to play anything close to optimally... that said they could easily change it so they can clone the game pad screen assuming they force you to play on the same team, so if they really wanted to that would help them make it work...

Sheikashii

Senior Squid
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
Playing Splatoon without the map or super jump abilities (which require the game pad) would get rid of any advantage gained by playing together as a team you would need minimum 2 consoles with two gamepads each to play anything close to optimally... that said they could easily change it so they can clone the game pad screen assuming they force you to play on the same team, so if they really wanted to that would help them make it work...
I think an easy way to super jump would be to press any one of the many buttons not used and bring up a list of the 3 names and you just jump to them or make the d-pad select one of the other screens and jump. You'd know where they were because you could see them. A map in the middle of the 4 way split would also be cool. That way every option is still there but with 4 pro controllers.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
I think an easy way to super jump would be to press any one of the many buttons not used and bring up a list of the 3 names and you just jump to them or make the d-pad select one of the other screens and jump. You'd know where they were because you could see them. A map in the middle of the 4 way split would also be cool. That way every option is still there but with 4 pro controllers.
You forget about jumping to your spawner (that was a thing right?) or the way-points you can set with that one secondary weapon... since it's shown you can set 2 that would already have you running out of d-pad buttons even if only 1 player was using them, let alone if 2 or more of you do. Also, that map would have to be pretty small to not disrupt your playing, and that defeats the purpose somewhat as you're watching for little ink splatters on the screen to see where someone's moving.

Howl7

Pro Squid
I have read great ideas in this thread, i wish that someone of these will be transformed in reality.^^

Then i have a more simple idea: why not a bigger online battle dojo mode at 8 players free for all?
The player that does more points with the bursts of balloons wins.

Aegis

Senior Squid
NNID
ritzumii
Online Battle Dojo? No? Okay, just me. :c

I also love VIP on other games and feel like it would work perfectly in Splatoon; they already have the flag models as seen when the Treehouse members joined matches during the Global Testfire.

baronfel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
baronfel
I'm really hoping for horde mode. Just 4 (maybe 8) people against an onslaught of octos. Eventually even the various bosses.

Cleaning mode-3 teams 2 of 3; 1 of 2 the 2 member team has water cannons the water guns perma-knock out an inkling and take out ink but the water folk can't transform.

Kill the Kraken-1 player takes control of the Kraken (or octopus bosses maybe?) and the others try to knock him out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom