• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What other modes do you expect?

Trevor

Inkling
A gamemode I would like to see in Splatoon and one I think would fit well within the game's 'spirit' would be War. This game mode was in Call of Duty 5. Im not sure but I believe they also brought it back in the Advanced Warfare as 'Momentum'.

Basically in War there are 5 capture points placed around the map. When the game begins the capture point or flag in the center becomes active. Whichever team captures that flag will move the next capture point towards the enemy side and that process continues. The game ends when the capture point is pushed to the end of the line. Since this is Splatoon, a capture point would simply be a small Splat Zone in which opposing teams needs to fully cover with their respective color.

Additionally, if no team wins at the end of the time limit, a final fight ensues were the center flag is active and whichever team captures it is the winner. The losing team at the end of the time limit will have a respawn penalty at during the final fight, putting them at a disadvantage, to reward the leading team.

What makes this gametype more dynamic is the momentum system. There is a momentum bar, which is charged by killing opponents and capturing flags, that when it's threshold is reached, your team will capture the flags twice as fast. Not sure how this could be implemented in Splat Zones whereas you're not simply standing in a spot waiting a certain amount of time to gain the objective but possibly your paint could be worth more space on the Splat Zone than usual. The momentum bar can be charged again to be maxed out at x3 the capture rate. This was referred to as a 'Blitzkrieg' in WaW and only lasted for a small amount of time before reverting back to the x2 speed. When the opposing team captures a control point, the other teams Momentum bar returns to empty.

This was a VERY fun game mode back then. It rewards players for Slaying and playing the Objective and also adds exciting moments such as comebacks through the momentum system. I feel like Splatoon could implement their own take on the game mode very well, im sure it won't make it in the game but it's definitely something that would add a whole lot to the game Multiplayer for me atleast.

Free For All and Deathmatch game types I think should be left out of Splatoon for sure. It seems pretty obvious the games focus is more on the objective rather than the slaying. However with Splatoon's wide range of weaponry I could see a rendition of Counter Strike's GunGame being pretty fun. If you don't know what Gun Game is, it's simply a Free For All were you start with usually the weakest gun and each kill you get will change your gun into the next most powerful gun in the game and finally the last weapon you get is a melee weapon, so the last kill you get is the most challenging.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm alright with having objective based modes, I do think we should at least have some mode where shooting other players is also an objective.

Just to have some variety.
Yes, I think having gamemodes for just getting frags is a good idea. It could help relieve stress, too!

Lyn

Premium
What about a 4-way Turf war with 4 teams of 2 players :scared:
That would be great, too. I'm hoping for something like that. Isn't that in Halo, as well?

Lyn

Premium
Capture the Flag? An infection-type mode where you spray your opponent until they are turned to your side? Possibly a race to the finish, but you are trying to halt your opponent?

I really want the infection mode though. That would be amazing.
An Infection gamemode involving Octolings would be AMAZING.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
That would be great, too. I'm hoping for something like that. Isn't that in Halo, as well?
Not too familiar with Halo but I do remember that they have a lot of crazy game modes.

Thinking back to other shooters I've played, I remember one game mode type that was called something like Marked for Death, where one person on each team would be a marked target and appear on everyone's minimap, and to score a point for your team you would have to take out the target on the opposite team before the other team takes out the one on your team. When one team scores a point, a new targets are randomly selected to marked, and the game is played until a certain score limit.
Something like this could be interesting in Splatoon, since teammates could help their team's marked target escape by laying down ink paths for them so they can evade pursuers while others go after the enemy team's marked player. Ink territory would still be important because of the mobility and control benefits to keep your team's target alive or chase after/prevent the enemy target from escaping.

Reactions: Lyn

KawaiiChao

Full Squid
Maybe they will add even more gamemodes with DLC. There's gotta be a capture the flag type game, maybe a king of the hill game, and... Maybe some sort of different Co-op mode.

Reactions: Lyn

Lyn

Premium
Maybe they will add even more gamemodes with DLC. There's gotta be a capture the flag type game, maybe a king of the hill game, and... Maybe some sort of different Co-op mode.
I definitely agree. The more gamemodes the better. Especially the iconic ones.

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
I would like Capture the Flag. If they did TDM I actually think it would still be in the game's spirit if they did it 4v4. And a 4 way Turf war sounds amazing but I doubt they would do that as they said they tested with team sizes.

Lyn

Premium
I'd like a gamemode oriented around squids and getting areas in the map the quickest.

LunarDistortion

Inkster Jr.
I would like to have a TF2 style Arena deathmatch mode. I think that it would fit and while it may take a little bit of time, It would be very fun to play imo.

A gamemode I would like to see in Splatoon and one I think would fit well within the game's 'spirit' would be War. This game mode was in Call of Duty 5. Im not sure but I believe they also brought it back in the Advanced Warfare as 'Momentum'.

Basically in War there are 5 capture points placed around the map. When the game begins the capture point or flag in the center becomes active. Whichever team captures that flag will move the next capture point towards the enemy side and that process continues. The game ends when the capture point is pushed to the end of the line. Since this is Splatoon, a capture point would simply be a small Splat Zone in which opposing teams needs to fully cover with their respective color.

Additionally, if no team wins at the end of the time limit, a final fight ensues were the center flag is active and whichever team captures it is the winner. The losing team at the end of the time limit will have a respawn penalty at during the final fight, putting them at a disadvantage, to reward the leading team.

What makes this gametype more dynamic is the momentum system. There is a momentum bar, which is charged by killing opponents and capturing flags, that when it's threshold is reached, your team will capture the flags twice as fast. Not sure how this could be implemented in Splat Zones whereas you're not simply standing in a spot waiting a certain amount of time to gain the objective but possibly your paint could be worth more space on the Splat Zone than usual. The momentum bar can be charged again to be maxed out at x3 the capture rate. This was referred to as a 'Blitzkrieg' in WaW and only lasted for a small amount of time before reverting back to the x2 speed. When the opposing team captures a control point, the other teams Momentum bar returns to empty.

This was a VERY fun game mode back then. It rewards players for Slaying and playing the Objective and also adds exciting moments such as comebacks through the momentum system. I feel like Splatoon could implement their own take on the game mode very well, im sure it won't make it in the game but it's definitely something that would add a whole lot to the game Multiplayer for me atleast.

Free For All and Deathmatch game types I think should be left out of Splatoon for sure. It seems pretty obvious the games focus is more on the objective rather than the slaying. However with Splatoon's wide range of weaponry I could see a rendition of Counter Strike's GunGame being pretty fun. If you don't know what Gun Game is, it's simply a Free For All were you start with usually the weakest gun and each kill you get will change your gun into the next most powerful gun in the game and finally the last weapon you get is a melee weapon, so the last kill you get is the most challenging.
Capture the Flag? An infection-type mode where you spray your opponent until they are turned to your side? Possibly a race to the finish, but you are trying to halt your opponent?

I really want the infection mode though. That would be amazing.
Infection and Control Point modes would be amazing, I don't see it happening, but that'd be a very fun side mode to have when you're not really feeling the ones we know about now.

Nin☆Jun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Dantel
A race mode with one Inkling from each team catching a Zapfish then running through checkpoint to checkpoint before the opposing team reaches the goal?

Eh, just my imagination.

Inkling

Inkling
NNID
PoptartPlessie
I have a feeling that aside from the likely Capture the Flag (Zapfish) and other existing modes, Nintendo will try to come up with some new ideas for game modes. I have no idea what, but I won't be surprised if they end up being there.

Arne

Full Squid
NNID
Arne83
Anything but a deathmatch style mode. I can play deathmatch in literally every other shooter... main reason I want Splatoon is because it's not like literally every other shooter.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
I definitely think more objective-based modes would be great. CTF is, of course, the first thing that comes to mind. I could also think that attack/defend style modes, to take from TF2, something like Payload or attack/defend, could be a lot of fun

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
More modes is a bonus. I honestly am content with what the game offers already.

Lyn

Premium
I definitely think more objective-based modes would be great. CTF is, of course, the first thing that comes to mind. I could also think that attack/defend style modes, to take from TF2, something like Payload or attack/defend, could be a lot of fun
Attack and defend would also be really cool in Splatoon! Nintendo probably has had some of these ideas in consideration, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom