• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What Weapons do you feel need Buffs or Nerfs and how would they change them?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It tries to predict where a player will be in the absence of movement data. Instead of characters freezing when their updates are not received, the system goes into AI mode running the bot around the screen for other players based on the assumption of where they'll go, so it always plays VISUALLY smooth. What happens is half the time you're playing a single player AI character while it's waiting for player data for a given opponent.
So that's why I keep getting taken out when I see a player jump down a ledge and I make moves to capitalise on that, only to see them warp back up, firing at me! Thank you.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
So that's why I keep getting taken out when I see a player jump down a ledge and I make moves to capitalise on that, only to see them warp back up, firing at me! Thank you.
Yep! Credit to them for thinking of the system. It does make the game feel so smooth, but for serious more competitive players we'd be better off with choppy games because we'd know what's actually going on. Ledges are the WORST, though I'll sometimes see a roller run past me, then see the same roller run past me again even without a ledge jump. But yeah the warping is because they were never actually down there to begin with! The system just expected that's where they were going to go while they lagged, so it put them there, then got a data update and it corrected that they were still up above. The system seems to go especially bad near ledges where it assumes anyone approaching near a ledge at a given angle/velocity must be intending to drop down. It doesn't factor in very advanced play. And it really can't. The system depends on predictable tactics.

IF you watch carefully you'll see a whole lot of that going on. the bad cases are large teleports. Minor cases frustrate me as a charger main because they'll teleport just an inch or so. Barely visible unless you're watching closely...but it's enough to devastate charger aim. Or H3...grr.

You'll see it REALLY break down when a player is super lagging (usually just before they DC in a puff of smoke.) It will have them go frantically around for a moment...then start teleporting them a few times after it puts them near a ledge, it might have them doing a bomb throw for a while while standing still like an odd zombie....then teleport back 20ft then do it all over again....then DC. It had no or next to no data for them the whole time and ran out of having enough historical data to even guess for the AI so it finally made them freeze in place and throw bombs. The sudden big teleport before repeating was it probably got a position update for a moment, then lost it again.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
By the sorry to derail the dynamo conversation for a second but as I've been playing through the game I realized the mini splatling has just been forgotten, I mean many variants have but due to the buff of the hydra with the 3 hit kill the mini has become a lost species, even the zinc which had one of the best sets in the game.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
By the sorry to derail the dynamo conversation for a second but as I've been playing through the game I realized the mini splatling has just been forgotten, I mean many variants have but due to the buff of the hydra with the 3 hit kill the mini has become a lost species, even the zinc which had one of the best sets in the game.
That's not my impression (in the Splatfest, definitely, they were pretty common, and I think that I see them in SZ not infrequently) and, really, the Mini is terrifying for anyone of shorter range as it is. It probably struggles to deal with Chargers and its big sisters, but I fear that a buff would be unfair on the majority of its match-ups.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't think the Hydra Splatling can compete with, let alone replace, a Mini Splatling at close range unless it has a full charge ready already, and even then it's kinda doubious. They're very fast in all the right areas (fast charge speed, fast movement speed, fast time to splat), and their sets seem very decent overall, with one of the deadliest combos, one very solid support set and the classic duelist loadout.

Award

IMO the mini is more challenged by the TTK than it is by the hydra and heavy.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
The Zink Mini Splatling is still reasonably popular, even after the special depletion nerf. The other variants are very rare, but that's nothing new; the fact that they share their kits with variants of the Splattershot doomed them from the start.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Zinks are still kind of common, most people instead go for the Splattershot counterparts because you can actually jump and fire with them.
I'm really disappointed that the Refurbished Mini got a copy of the regular Splattershot rather than something unique, especially because burst bombs just don't work for Splatlings period. What a waste of a weapon.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Zinks are still kind of common, most people instead go for the Splattershot counterparts because you can actually jump and fire with them.
I'm really disappointed that the Refurbished Mini got a copy of the regular Splattershot rather than something unique, especially because burst bombs just don't work for Splatlings period. What a waste of a weapon.
I know right? And it's color scheme is so cool too. Better than the regular mini's.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
This is so weird. I actually rarely see mini Splatlings, despite their overall great kit. The Zink one anyway. I would complain, but i kinda hate fighting them, so they can stay rare as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Inumi

Inkling
NNID
InumiDarkness
I'd buff the slosher so they use less ink. I'm a slosher main and the high request of ink it takes for the slosher is the biggest inconvenient. So when for exemple you try to save your live when here's a Splat Roller from the opposite team in front of you and the better win, it's easy to forget about how much ink each use of the slosher take and if you miss your shot, you're highly handicaped and you can easily be killed. Another thing that I'd buff is the width of the lines you can make with the Inkbrush. Some peoples easily hide in the tiny line you can make with it but I can't. I don't want it to be a lot bigger, just enought so you keep hidding even if you tilt a little bit to the left or right you'll not be punished. If it wasn't for the tiny line, I'd use the Inkbrush more.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
I'd buff the slosher so they use less ink. I'm a slosher main and the high request of ink it takes for the slosher is the biggest inconvenient. So when for exemple you try to save your live when here's a Splat Roller from the opposite team in front of you and the better win, it's easy to forget about how much ink each use of the slosher take and if you miss your shot, you're highly handicaped and you can easily be killed. Another thing that I'd buff is the width of the lines you can make with the Inkbrush. Some peoples easily hide in the tiny line you can make with it but I can't. I don't want it to be a lot bigger, just enought so you keep hidding even if you tilt a little bit to the left or right you'll not be punished. If it wasn't for the tiny line, I'd use the Inkbrush more.
with the slosher, i feel the ink consumption is kind of necessary. it's sort of like a 96 gal meets a blaster but with just a tad more precision and the ability to fire over walls. 2HKO (as long as you hit) is really pretty good for what it is. it's a weapon you have to run ink savers/recoveries with but as long as you do that and keep a good eye on your ink, i think it's worth it. (this is the same for the octobrush, but it's not an 2HKO and has little range! the slosher is doing better by comparison :P)

and the inkbrush, i'm not really sure. you pay a lot for its speed, and i think it facilitates that kind of play. it isn't meant to be played stealthily like the octobrush, that's their main difference. so i don't think you could justify the larger spread.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
you see some pretty crazy predictions where you find out from the kill tag that where you shot them was FAR from where they really were.
...OR you discover you were splatted FAR away from the (impossible) location where YOU think it JUST RANDOMLY HAPPENED.
HILARIOUS! :rolleyes:

I can't deal with the inescapable column of death spanning the entire height of the stage that is the Inkzooka. I really can't.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
...OR you discover you were splatted FAR away from the (impossible) location where YOU think it JUST RANDOMLY HAPPENED.

I can't deal with the inescapable column of death spanning the entire height of the stage that is the Inkzooka. I really can't.
Actually I learned that if any inkzooka is on an angle and you turn into a squid as it is about to hit you, you can essentially duck under the inkzooka shot, though it looks more like you just lagged through it and won't be hurt

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Actually I learned that if any inkzooka is on an angle and you turn into a squid as it is about to hit you, you can essentially duck under the inkzooka shot, though it looks more like you just lagged through it and won't be hurt
From experience the Inkzooka is always taller and wider than you think. Back when the Mini Splatling got released I pretty much managed to score at least 1 splat each time I used the thing, and I'm not that great of a shot :confused:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Inkzooka is an common victim of lag. There were also times where a inkzooka flew through me but i didn't get splatted by it.

Award

Yet notice your enemies always escape it whenever you use it? :P

Award

...the only reason they ever escaped it is because I blew myself off of ledges with the kickback every time :'D
Yeah! Inkzooka time! *SPLASH*

Either that or I ALWAYS get myself caught in enemy ink every time I take out an inkzooka. :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom