Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Best Subs: Splat Bombs, Suction Bombs, Disruptors
Worst Subs: Splash Wall

Aerotop

Inkling
The best is the sprinkler, imo. The worst is probably the Squid beakon (very situational) and the point sensor.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Hmm, my favorite is the Splash Wall. Only problem is the absurd amount of ink it takes to use it.

Least favorite is probably burst bombs.... they just dont DO enough! Yet they sure COST enough.

Seekers I'm fine with; depending on the situation they can be good for zoning/distraction. Or firing them at odd angles at opponents that are looking and firing elsewhere.

Ink mines I also tend to like; there's alot of funky places to stick these where, by the time they're noticed, it's probably too late. I think the one problem with them is that they're just downright hard to use effectively, moreso than the other sub-weapons.

Beacons are kinda iffy. I'll use them, but if teammates use them.... I dunno why people sometimes jam them on or near the spawn point. I mean, do they not know what the things DO, or....?

And I wish point sensors and disruptors were on more weapons.

batprince

Inkling
NNID
sailorscouts
My favorites are the Disruptor and Burst Bombs; Disruptors are really useful for rainmaker, because you can slow the person with the rainmaker to get an easy kill. Burst bombs don't take up too much ink and can be a lifesaver in close quarters situations. I dislike the Beakons, because a lot of the time your team doesn't use them and they show up on the enemy map.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I would have to say the most situational would be the Point Sensors, since the Echolocator does it way better and both are affected by Cold-blooded.

I like the Sprinkler the most since it can cover turf, do actual damage, and serve as a deadly distraction.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Splash wall is the best... Seekers and burst bombs are the worst

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
every sub has its strengths and weaknesses, honestly I wouldn't call one the "worst"

Splat Bomb - average grenade that explodes after being thrown; can be good for scouting out areas of enemy ink, especially if "rolled", which can splat unsuspecting opponents

Splash Wall - giving up any sort of offensive prowess to give yourself and your team a wall that you can shoot through but enemies cannot; arguably the "best" one, though it eats through a decent bit of ink and can be quickly dispatched if multiple enemies are shooting at it; pretty sure you can also shoot/lob things over it

Burst Bomb - quite versatile, allows you to quickly scout enemy ink, has a cheap ink cost compared to other subs, usually compliments the weapon they are on either by allowing you to finish off fleeing opponents or hit opponents up-close when your main weapon is not enough

Sprinkler - a sprinkler in a good location can be very annoying for the enemy team to deal with; locations that come to mind are the palm trees on Arowana Mall and the crane on Saltspray Rig. I've had 3 enemy squids shooting at my one sprinkler before, it was pretty funny. Downsides include it not being very offensive in nature, and if you're splatted your sprinkler disappears.

Suction Bomb - very good at area denial, though it takes the longest of the 3 bombs to detonate. Can catch unsuspecting opponents off-guard by placing it in awkward areas, and are good for denying the tower.

Seeker - an awkward bomb that travels in a straight line and detonates; if it sees an enemy in humanoid form it will home in on them. Can be jumped over and the seeker cannot target enemies in squid form. Mostly good for creating a quick path to objectives, spamming down corridors, and catching people off-guard as you continue to spam them and I accidentally run into it.

Point Sensor - a poor man's echolocator that reveals where an enemy is if they are in it's explosion "radius". Countered by cold-blooded but still a strong special that can make it very hard for opponents to be stealthy. Point sensor + inkzooka is a scary combo on the Forge Splattershot Pro.

Ink Mine - limited uses, as most enemies will reveal it before they step on it, but can be good for denying objectives in ranked. Can also make opponents hesitate about pushing forwards as you place it in chokepoints and cramped areas

Squid Beakon - can be great for securing areas like the top portion of saltspray rig, or placing them in enemy territory to keep up offensive pressure; downsides include enemies being able to see them on their minimaps, making them easy targets if opponents decide that you aren't allowed to have beakons anymore

Disruptor - a poor man's Point Sensor, it can reveal enemies hiding in ink and slows them down, and also reduces how fast they regenerate ink. Great for... well, disrupting opponents, and can make them easy targets for you and your allies; downsides include opponents being able to just shoot you back. Makes rollers have a very bad day, though.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
You take that back. Disruptors are much more effective in finishing off opponents despite the slightly lower burst radius.
What I meant by that is that they can reveal opponents hiding in ink due to the little effect shown while the opponent is affected by the disruptor. The effect is sort of like a point sensor, but not nearly as effective. Disruptors are great at taking out and finishing foes.

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
Best: depends on the mode. For rainmaker and tower control, splash wall is easily the best. For splat zones and turf wars, splat bombs and suction bombs. Overall I think splash wall and suction bombs take the cake.

Worst: point sensor. It's better just to have a teammate with an echolocator special. Outclassed by everything else imo. Ink mine at least allows you to place it strategically like on top of the tower or in narrow paths.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
I am seeing a lot of point sensor hate, and I don't understand why. They don't exactly take a whole lot of ink to throw, and having more information at any given time is a godsend, and underrated. Sure, it is no Echolocator, but that is because Echolocator is a Special, not a sub, so I don't get why people compare the two, because the Special is always going to be better, otherwise, it wouldn't be so special.

Anyways, best Sub is the Ink Wall. Incredibly powerful when used right. It does use up a lot of Ink, but it lasts long enough for you to recover your ink. Splatlings make quick work of the wall though.

Worst I would say is most likely the Seeker. It has a rather limited use, and it is incredibly easy to juke either by jumping it, or by simply swimming to the side, since it can only turn so fast. The only thing annoying about Seekers is when you get hit by the invisible Seekers, because of connection issues.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Point Sensors are overshadowed by Disruptors, which also have the benefit of crippling an opponent and making them easy prey (or scaring Chargers enough to make them retreat).

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
From a competitive standpoint, all the sub weapons are very good, but I'm too lazy to give a detailed summary of every single one. But burst bombs are godlike I don't know what you guys are thinking.

florence

Full Squid
best: oh my god disruptors, no question. they just completely throw people off, i wish it went with more weapons.
worst: sprinklers. they don't help much combat-wise, and they don't ink turf very quickly?

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
worst: sprinklers. they don't help much combat-wise, and they don't ink turf very quickly?
The main advantage of sprinklers is the ability to cover turf (slowly but steady) while you can go somewhere else. It's quite useful to get your special faster. Also killing someone with a sprinkler is so satisfying.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I say worst is ink mine, they should be activated by an inkling body not their stray shots, it only really bodies rollers (and even then they can get out of it with quick thinking).

Best i'd say is a toss up between splat bombs/suction or splash walls.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Geez! What's with all of the point sensor hate? It's really good on the splattershot Pro forge!

The splattershot pro forge doesn't have a reliable "get off me" move, but the point sensor helps make sure that doesn't happen. That way opponents can't sneak up or maneuver around you in a firefight.

Another nice thing about the point sensor is that it doesn't consume much ink, which is good for a weapon that guzzles ink.

One last point though, even if the entire enemy team was running coldblooded, you could still chuck it at enemy ink to at least know if anyone was in the area.

Last edited:

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Seekers and burst bombs are the worst
Seekers are among the worst, but burst bombs are far from being the worst. They're the main reason why carbon rollers are as good as they are, and provide elitres with an option when someone gets close.
Seekers are not very good because you can just jump over and you can't hit people behind walls. If you have at least a little bit of an idea of what you're doing, ink mines are useless since you can just swim away before getting splatted. Point sensors aren't very good against teams with many cold-blooded users, but are good otherwise.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Pretty good: Point Sensor/Burst BombsI personally think Point sensor is extremely underrated. You can practically spam point sensor, as it only costs 1/3? (not sure exact measurement) of your ink tank. You never have to worry about someone hiding in enemy ink, as you can just throw out a point sensor. It literally makes it impossible for someone to jump at you from a corner. Plus, even if you don't get the kill, if your team has a sniper it's super easy for them to pick it off. Even if no one on your team kills said person, they still constantly know where he/she is for 20? seconds. Burst bombs: E-liter. Do I need to say more? . Edit: Forgot Sprinkler, which is kinda self explanatory.

Worst: Splat bombs. Splat bombs are simply outclassed by Suction bombs, Burst Bombs, and Ink mines. Burst bombs are amazing for close quarters combat, and you can even pick off people who try to run away. Ink mines can occasionally guarantee a trade in close quarters fight, and kill off unsuspecting people down a narrow hallway. Splat bombs can bounce off walls, which is nice, but it can also work against you. Somewhere like BlackBelly has railings that deflect the bomb in an unfavorable way.
Yaaaaas people are sleeping hard on point sensor. Point sensor is amazing in ranked. Especially as a defensive sub, it doesn't take a lot of ink and it is super helpful. Sure cold blooded counters the full effect but your goal isn't to chase/hunt them down its to stall the enemy until the sensor wears off as they know they cant approach you without putting themselves at a big disadvantage since you are tracking movements. In RM all I have to do is lob one over the rainmaker at the start of the game and 90% of the time I get at least 3 players if not their entire team. Also useful in TC if an enemy is hiding in ink on the tower (you cant see ripples if they move super slow or are still) and you know exactly where on the Tower they are.

I also think Splat bombs aren't bad, but they take a certain amount of skill to use correctly. It's like learning how to bounce splash walls, bouncing splat bombs isn't easy all the time. However they can be deadly if used correctly. They are best thrown at enemies who aren't paying attention and predicting movement. If you can predict movement to throw it next to an enemy (works best in areas that arent completely open on all sides) then its an insta-kill they do not have time to move away unlike with suction bombs. Suction bombs are great for pushing back enemies and claiming space however unless the enemy doesn't see it then you likely aren't going to kill them. Suction bombs still have more uses than splat bombs but they are far from the worst sub.

Worst sub in my opinion are ink mines and beacons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom