What's Up With VC?

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
I don't know how not having voice chat will impact splatoon, but I do want to know if it can be patched in. I feel that if the voices are loud enough they will add it and weather or not it will be good quality voice chat I don't know. If people want it I will back them up because it will help the community grow.

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
Also how clean do you think the nintendo online community is compared to PSN and XBL.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I feel like due to how young the Nintendo network is it has a long way to go to really compete with them in any major level, but I think it will be able to make up the gap.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
As some other people stated, I feel Splatoon moves way too quickly for voice chat to really be necessary.

I've been playing TF2 for years so I know the importance of being able to communicate with teammates but on the other hand, TF2 matches can last well over 15 minutes if both teams are evenly matched. while it seems like Splatoon matches won't got over 5 (I think? Not certain.)

Of course with enough outcry from both US and JP fans I can see them integrating a VC option in the future, so long as there's decent moderation so rude people who give VC a bad rap in the first place get kicked, there's no reason for it to be totally cut from the game.
Overall I feel that VC isn't required but is a cool thing to have, but I also feel people who drop Splatoon JUST because there's no voice option probably weren't gonna get too far in it anyways.

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
I dunno. I for one dont need people cursing over the voice chat and then I get in trouble for it. But then again there should be an option to turn it off, kind of like in Smash (That doesnt really need voice chat :p) Im expecting to come as a patch or something, because I know people are gonna get extremely upset after release.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Am I the only one that actually understands their explanation? It makes sense imo.
Of course, voice chat with friends would be nice too bad the mic is aweful.

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
Am I the only one that actually understands their explanation? It makes sense imo.
Of course, voice chat with friends would be nice too bad the mic is aweful.
The cussing and stuff? Like I said, there should be an option turn it off if you dont want to use it

Also, Im sure they can make a Splatoon themed headset. That shiz would sell.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
The cussing and stuff? Like I said, there should be an option turn it off if you dont want to use it

Also, Im sure they can make a Splatoon themed headset. That shiz would sell.
no. they said there wasn't voice chat because they wanted to capture the emotion of the game. Emotion to help visuallize and communicate.

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
no. they said there wasn't voice chat because they wanted to capture the emotion of the game. Emotion to help visuallize and communicate.
Oh really? I read that they didnt want people cussing, and so they removed the voice chat option. It was to make the game not lose its charm.

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
The toxicity thing is something to be aware of but if the option to just mute people would fix that. Now I am going to just put this out their as a possibility, maybe Nintendo games don't have voice chat while you play is because they don't have the best infrastructure for it and that it would actually cause problem with latency. THIS IS JUST WHAT I THINK AND I HAVE NO PROOF TO BACK THIS UP.

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
The toxicity thing is something to be aware of but if the option to just mute people would fix that. Now I am going to just put this out their as a possibility, maybe Nintendo games don't have voice chat while you play is because they don't have the best infrastructure for it and that it would actually cause problem with latency. THIS IS JUST WHAT I THINK AND I HAVE NO PROOF TO BACK THIS UP.
You could be right. Voice chat is only available during the waiting time/character select screen on MK8 and Smash U....

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
But by making it optional you allow ppl to just enjoy the emotion of the game, if they want it. I actually wouldn't use VC unless for tournies (or friends) for this reason. But that is no reason to just not give ppl the option to forego the emotion of the game and use VC if they want to

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
But by making it optional you allow ppl to just enjoy the emotion of the game, if they want it. I actually wouldn't use VC unless for tournies (or friends) for this reason. But that is no reason to just not give ppl the option to forego the emotion of the game and use VC if they want to
In the end, it just comes down to the fact that this game was made with kids in mind (Although they really shouldnt be playing online) But still,Nintendo will be Nintendo, despite what Reggie does or says....

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
In the end, it just comes down to the fact that this game was made with kids in mind (Although they really shouldnt be playing online) But still,Nintendo will be Nintendo, despite what Reggie does or says....
Yah that's true. My point of view is accepting of either just make it optional or I'll just use a third party way to talk.
And lol true. When I was little I wasn't even allowed to play fighting games (except melee..phew) or shooters much less online

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
Yah that's true. My point of view is accepting of either just make it optional or I'll just use a third party way to talk.
And lol true. When I was little I wasn't even allowed to play fighting games (except melee..phew) or shooters much less online
I was hoping theyd do an optional VC. Hopefully, in an update.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Plus, like others have said, dedicated voicechat services, from skype or Raidcall, are far superior anyway. I would never use in game voice chat over one of these.
Plus, voice chat does in fact push the system a bit further.
Not trying to justify it, but I am not going to say I was going to use it all the time.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
VC is just not necessary, by any means. I actually wrote an essay as to why a while back, but I'll sum it up.

Splatoon's gameplay is simplistic and the objective is clear. Splatter the ground, cover it in ink to win. By simply performing an action, you give your team a clear message as to what your intentions are and from that information they can figure out what they should be doing. For example, a teammate's covering the ground, advancing towards the enemy team, and you notice he's far up the map and in a major area of the enemy team's ink. In response, you think, "Oh, there's more ground to cover over there, but it's dangerous! I should go help him."

If you don't happen to have moderate team coordination skills as shown in the example above, or you need to speak to your teammates for serious competitive play, you can chat vocally through Skype, Teamspeak, Curse, Mumble, or Raidcall. If you don't happen to have access to that, then you could come up with a plan with your team, such as using the pings for signals. For example, " X ping means 'Come here, help!' and Y ping means 'Retreat!' ".

If you need VC for regular online matches with random strangers, think again. More often than not, people will not be listening to your words, being so absorbed in the game. And if your voice does reach them, they'll either retaliate or ignore you. And again, as stated previously, your actions speak louder than your words. It's not necessary in anyway, or even optimal in a game like Splatoon. It would ruin the overall online experience, what with ragers, and the music having to drown out every time someone speaks, and the every now and then slightly perturbing 35-year old complaining...

Now think about it, do you REALLY want voice chat?

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
VC is just not necessary, by any means. I actually wrote an essay as to why a while back, but I'll sum it up.

Splatoon's gameplay is simplistic and the objective is clear. Splatter the ground, cover it in ink to win. By simply performing an action, you give your team a clear message as to what your intentions are and from that information they can figure out what they should be doing. For example, a teammate's covering the ground, advancing towards the enemy team, and you notice he's far up the map and in a major area of the enemy team's ink. In response, you think, "Oh, there's more ground to cover over there, but it's dangerous! I should go help him."

If you don't happen to have moderate team coordination skills as shown in the example above, or you need to speak to your teammates for serious competitive play, you can chat vocally through Skype, Teamspeak, Curse, Mumble, or Raidcall. If you don't happen to have access to that, then you could come up with a plan with your team, such as using the pings for signals. For example, " X ping means 'Come here, help!' and Y ping means 'Retreat!' ".

If you need VC for regular online matches with random strangers, think again. More often than not, people will not be listening to your words, being so absorbed in the game. And if your voice does reach them, they'll either retaliate or ignore you. And again, as stated previously, your actions speak louder than your words. It's not necessary in anyway, or even optimal in a game like Splatoon. It would ruin the overall online experience, what with ragers, and the music having to drown out every time someone speaks, and the every now and then slightly perturbing 35-year old complaining...

Now think about it, do you REALLY want voice chat?
in my opinion, as I mentioned earlier, I couldn't care less about using it. my objection to not having it is that I feel that whether the online competitive community is to negative, or toxic, or whatever word you want to use should be the decision of the player, not the company. so in other words, I don't object to the lack of inclusion as much as the reason for it.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
in my opinion, as I mentioned earlier, I couldn't care less about using it. my objection to not having it is that I feel that whether the online competitive community is to negative, or toxic, or whatever word you want to use should be the decision of the player, not the company. so in other words, I don't object to the lack of inclusion as much as the reason for it.
Well I personally think it harms the game, but that's just me.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I understand, and honestly, even if I could use it (ill be playing the game in the family room of my parents' house most of the time) I probably wouldn't. I just don't like the reason they gave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom