• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's with Nintendo's quality control lately?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I still respect the man, but I still don't like his mindset when it comes to what's added in games he created. From the looks of the new Star Fox game, it looks like he wants to make Star Fox 64 2.0, but I hope this isn't the case when it's finally released. Wii Music is pretty much a clear sign that Miyamoto has changed for the worst. He was good back in the 80's & 90's, but not anymore. I keep thinking he's the sole reason why Nintendo's dipped in quality with certain games along with keeping the company from changing. The man needs to go. His time at Nintendo is up.
I agree, I can't knock the man for what games he made that I greatly enjoyed, but he is clearly getting older and getting more strict with what gets put into games recently. I need to see more of Star Fox Zero, but it indeed looks like Star Fox 64 2.0 from what I've seen. I know it's a re-imagining, but it feels like an excuse to make another Star Fox 64 because they can't think up a new plotline. Wii Music was like a dagger to the heart, it was a sign of a change that Mr. Miyamoto has gone through and not for the best. Afterwards we were greeted with "Masterpieces" such as Sticker Star and the endless derivative of New Super Mario Bros Games. Ideally, I would like for him to step back and let the developers have a little bit more freedom when making games, but he won't do it. Mr. Miyamoto needs to finally retire.

Glad to know my first impression of the Paper Mario series was watered down and boring by intent.
I didn't like it at all and I have no reason to ever play it again, but if you like it then that's fine. But most adore the N64 and Gamecube versions. Those are the ones to play if you want a solid Mario RPG.

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
I didn't like it at all and I have no reason to ever play it again, but if you like it then that's fine. But most adore the N64 and Gamecube versions. Those are the ones to play if you want a solid Mario RPG.
I got Super Paper Mario in search for a better game, I only played for 3 hours and then lost the disc somewhere.
And yeah Sticker Star was baaaaad.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I got Super Paper Mario in search for a better game, I only played for 3 hours and then lost the disc somewhere.
And yeah Sticker Star was baaaaad.
Uh oh. Hope you find the disc somewhere, it's probably the last great Paper Mario game though it isn't traditional by any means. If you ever get some extra funds, you should give Paper Mario 64 a go on the virtual console. It's the first one, but it's held highly in regard and it's aged gracefully.

Sticker Star is really bad and this is coming from a major Paper Mario fan. I could go on and on how bad that waste of $40 was.

Starcrusher5Game

Full Squid
NNID
Starcrusher258
Uh oh. Hope you find the disc somewhere, it's probably the last great Paper Mario game though it isn't traditional by any means. If you ever get some extra funds, you should give Paper Mario 64 a go on the virtual console. It's the first one, but it's held highly in regard and it's aged gracefully.

Sticker Star is really bad and this is coming from a major Paper Mario fan. I could go on and on how bad that waste of $40 was.
Sticker Star RUINED Paper Mario!! I'm a hardcore Paper Mario fan, and I can tell they didn't put ANY thought into sticker star.

First, the story was SUPER cliche'! the first Paper Mario had an excuse due to it being the first Paper Mario game, but sticker star plot is basically "the princess is captured go save her" type of story with the sticker story background. Look at SMP, the story was convoluted but ATLEAST the princess is captured story was kept MUCH smaller. Heck! They even let you play as peach! TTYD had the best story out of the PM games, it didn't need to rely on old customs, and innovated by giving you a bigger world, new characters, and a new plot!

Second, the battle system was horrible. In PM and PMTTYD, the battle system was fun and the action commands were awesome! Sure SPM featured a 'platforming" element but in all three games there WAS a point to battling enemies! You could level up and get coins for your troubles, which means you could take on bosses without dying. Sticker Star decided to add in BS and gave us the STICKER system. and the thing is those stickers are YOUR attacks. So if you run out of stickers in battle you basically CANT do anything except run away! They introduced the stupid "heart" quests and removed EXP in favor of stronger stickers, which btw STRONGER STICKERS COST MONEY.

Third, the "thing" stickers broke the game! SS introduced "thing stickers" which were stickers based on "things" you find in the overworld like scissors or a fan. Now thing stickers was one gimmick for the game that was interesting to say the least. but the thing is that they were WAY too overpowered. You could basically win one battle by using thing stickers. You could spend 1 hour beating this freaking pokey king, but you could have used the baseball bat to win the battle in three minutes. They aren't even that creative with the bosses, the only creative fight was with the final boss which mind you is the WORST BOSS.

These are MANY complaints with Sticker Star that I've experienced and I'm sad that Paper Jam is going to be the same story with the setting and inspiration from SS:(:(:(

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
^There's also the addition of Kersti. God, what a worthless character.

I agree, I can't knock the man for what games he made that I greatly enjoyed, but he is clearly getting older and getting more strict with what gets put into games recently. I need to see more of Star Fox Zero, but it indeed looks like Star Fox 64 2.0 from what I've seen. I know it's a re-imagining, but it feels like an excuse to make another Star Fox 64 because they can't think up a new plotline. Wii Music was like a dagger to the heart, it was a sign of a change that Mr. Miyamoto has gone through and not for the best. Afterwards we were greeted with "Masterpieces" such as Sticker Star and the endless derivative of New Super Mario Bros Games. Ideally, I would like for him to step back and let the developers have a little bit more freedom when making games, but he won't do it. Mr. Miyamoto needs to finally retire.
He's a washout these days. He wouldn't let even younger people come up with good ideas. It's all about him and he seriously needs to retire. His time is almost up over at Nintendo anyway.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Sticker Star RUINED Paper Mario!! I'm a hardcore Paper Mario fan, and I can tell they didn't put ANY thought into sticker star.

First, the story was SUPER cliche'! the first Paper Mario had an excuse due to it being the first Paper Mario game, but sticker star plot is basically "the princess is captured go save her" type of story with the sticker story background. Look at SMP, the story was convoluted but ATLEAST the princess is captured story was kept MUCH smaller. Heck! They even let you play as peach! TTYD had the best story out of the PM games, it didn't need to rely on old customs, and innovated by giving you a bigger world, new characters, and a new plot!

Second, the battle system was horrible. In PM and PMTTYD, the battle system was fun and the action commands were awesome! Sure SPM featured a 'platforming" element but in all three games there WAS a point to battling enemies! You could level up and get coins for your troubles, which means you could take on bosses without dying. Sticker Star decided to add in BS and gave us the STICKER system. and the thing is those stickers are YOUR attacks. So if you run out of stickers in battle you basically CANT do anything except run away! They introduced the stupid "heart" quests and removed EXP in favor of stronger stickers, which btw STRONGER STICKERS COST MONEY.

Third, the "thing" stickers broke the game! SS introduced "thing stickers" which were stickers based on "things" you find in the overworld like scissors or a fan. Now thing stickers was one gimmick for the game that was interesting to say the least. but the thing is that they were WAY too overpowered. You could basically win one battle by using thing stickers. You could spend 1 hour beating this freaking pokey king, but you could have used the baseball bat to win the battle in three minutes. They aren't even that creative with the bosses, the only creative fight was with the final boss which mind you is the WORST BOSS.

These are MANY complaints with Sticker Star that I've experienced and I'm sad that Paper Jam is going to be the same story with the setting and inspiration from SS:(:(:(
I'd like to blame Mr. Miyamoto for Paper Jam and especially Sticker Star for this mess. And I agree with your complete statement. Also, Sticker Star had less of a plot then Paper Mario 64. I wish I was kidding.

He's a washout these days. He wouldn't let even younger people come up with good ideas. It's all about him and he seriously needs to retire. His time is almost up over at Nintendo anyway.
I'll be so glad when that happens. I'd love for younger talent to take over because they're bright and full of ideas and it would really help Nintendo out. Splatoon is the best thing to happen on the Wii U and I'd would've never happened if Mr. Miyamoto got involved. I mean, he did offer the Mario characters if the dev of Splatoon couldn't find a good character to represent the new IP but thank god they stuck with the Inkling in the end.

Regarding Kersti...

That moment when she died at the end was the best thing to ever happen in that whole game. I was finally rid of the most annoying sidekick to ever grace a Nintendo game. What do I get after all of that? A NSMB Ending and Kersti's death. Wow Sticker Star is a piece of ****.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686

Would you like Sakurai to retire as well? The Fire Emblem bias is really showing instead of having a wider variety of series represented as playable characters.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Would you like Sakurai to retire as well? The Fire Emblem bias is really showing instead of having a wider variety of series represented as playable characters.
I can't believe he did that, a 6th Fire Emblem character... I'm so mad from that. Meanwhile, Zelda and Splatoon didn't get anything and they're much better games.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
After how disappointing the entire stream was, I'd say yes. That guy should've gave us characters we were asking for instead of Corrin. And I used to have some respect for him, too, but not anymore.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I haven't gotten a Fire Emblem since 8. And that was the actual GBA cartridge and I am not including the download I got as a 3DS ambassador.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
If Sakurai is yet again behind SSB5 I do not think I will get that game.
I don't trust Sakurai at all after this, he's pissed me off now and Corrin isn't even a joke at his point. It's a taunt.
After how disappointing the entire stream was, I'd say yes. That guy should've gave us characters we were asking for instead of Corrin. And I used to have some respect for him, too, but not anymore.
I hope he leaves after this game, that boasting he did at the end about how much things are in the game just enraged me after the teasing from the Inklings only for nothing to happen. I had respect for him to, only to taunt me with Corrin and then tease the Inklings at the Mii Costumes part at the end.
I haven't gotten a Fire Emblem since 8. And that was the actual GBA cartridge and I am not including the download I got as a 3DS ambassador.
Don't. They've become creepy weeb and Otaku games that pander to teenage boys.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Don't. They've become creepy weeb and Otaku games that pander to teenage boys.
It was more out of resentment that Fire Emblem left its older sibling Advance Wars in the dust but I guess that reason can work too.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
It was more out of resentment that Fire Emblem left its older sibling Advance Wars in the dust but I guess that reason can work too.
Advance Wars was the better of the two. I regret not buying Days of Ruin so the series can continue. My brother was such a big Advance Wars DS buff and we played a lot of single card play. I understand your resentment.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Advance Wars was the better of the two. I regret not buying Days of Ruin so the series can continue. My brother was such a big Advance Wars DS buff and we played a lot of single card play. I understand your resentment.
Some people hate that it went from a goofy war setting to serious, but Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict has the best balanced battle system of the whole series (at least localized, I have not played the unlocalized Famicom Wars games) and it is a shame it stopped there.

I hope people will support the DS games when they come out on Wii U virtual console.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Some people hate that it went from a goofy war setting to serious, but Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict has the best balanced battle system of the whole series (at least localized, I have not played the unlocalized Famicom Wars games) and it is a shame it stopped there.

I hope people will support the DS games when they come out on Wii U virtual console.
I'll buy Days of Ruin if it hits Wii U DS Shop because I really want to play it. But I should buy a DS game or two to keep the interest going. Maybe Mario Kart DS despite it's lack of Multiplayer option.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I'll buy Days of Ruin if it hits Wii U DS Shop because I really want to play it. But I should buy a DS game or two to keep the interest going. Maybe Mario Kart DS despite it's lack of Multiplayer option.
People think Dual Strike is the best in the series but all I think of is too much bells and whistles and too much unbalance. Get the Tag Power first and you win! There are many broken COs too. In Days of Ruin the only one the metagame considered broken was Isabella (from last I heard, I have not checked the current meta now). There was another CO that is also broken but he was deliberately broken for final boss purposes and he was not usable at all in Wifi battles.

Starcrusher5Game

Full Squid
NNID
Starcrusher258
I really don't care if Corrin was in smash (weird since I like FE), I'm just mad how they put Bayonetta over Shantae uggghhh

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
People think Dual Strike is the best in the series but all I think of is too much bells and whistles and too much unbalance. Get the Tag Power first and you win! There are many broken COs too. In Days of Ruin the only one the metagame considered broken was Isabella (from last I heard, I have not checked the current meta now). There was another CO that is also broken but he was deliberately broken for final boss purposes and he was not usable at all in Wifi battles.
Well, you're the fan of the series. I didn't know it was that unbalanced. I still want to play DoR.

I only played single card multi and I really enjoyed it. But my brother used to play it all the time. It's a great series that was left in the dust and we all know by who. But I look at Advance Wars Days of Ruin and I see the complete opposite of Fire Emblem, a serious war torn world with a plot that drove you with character designs that were tasteful and a game you can't win by grinding your units, it's a series that never took off and I'm sad by that. Considering how much more realistic and more believable than Fire Emblem is today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom