• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's your occupation?

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
My cousin does that. I think he works for an oil company and does pretty well. I've always wondered if I should have gone through trade schooling instead of university.
When I was in the Coast Guard I had to pick a rate and I looked through the list and saw electricians mate and thought to myself 'well electricity will be here as long as I live' and figured I would always have work. Glad I did. Money is good and I kinda sorta like what I do.

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
Well, we'll find out soon enough; I barely left last month. I like to think I do pretty well in my classes, but in reality I'm mostly average.

Simple, really: I hate people, but I love animals.

...well, it's not that black-and-white. I just happened to (re-)discover my passion for living things over the last few years, and I feel like I should do my part to help them out.

Veterinary medicine being even tougher than human medicine, however, I must accept that it might not happen.
With vet medicine there is a misconception that you don't work with people. The truth is that you work with people probably just as much as with human medicine. You deal with the owners of the animals (who make all the decisions) and you work with your team (nurses and other vets) in the clinic. There are a few things about vet medicine that aren't ideal as well:

1) the pay isn't great. Especially after all those years of studying and having a huge debt to pay.
2) You will deal with a lot of owners who complain about money. "$200?? Why is it so expensive- it's just a dog!". You don't really get that with human medicine.

Having said that I know many vets who absolutely love their job and wouldn't swap it for the world. Otherwise I do know vets who wished they did medicine. So I recommend volunteering at a lot of vet clinics before you decide to persue that career. There are a number of web pages that describe the reality of being a vet so I would give those a read too.

I applied to grocery stores and a bob evans, bob evans said they weren't hiring and yeah I called the one grocery store and it sound promising but you never know someone might take the job before me! ;m;
Are there any other places around? I'd actually go to the place rather than call. Go there and request to speak to the manager and talk about working there. It shows you're confident and committed.

I'm a high school student. But I hope to be able to move to the West Coast (I'm from NYC) to be able to use my voice in some video game and anime dubs. I also wish to become animator.
That's sweet, my sister wants to do the same thing.

I'm currently in my last year of school and I'm a track athlete!
I have a job at a rest stop plaza & I love to play video games! That's all you need to know about this dude!
Haha cool. What do you wanna do when you graduate?

Pearl

Inkling
I'm a total video games/cartoon nerd who's a homeschooler middle schooler as of the moment. I'm a self-invented "Crystal Gem Fanatic" and "Pearl Fanatic" all round. I WANT to be a author, but I've been back and forth with it for a LONG time, to be honest. ^^

Lil_Gonz

Inkling
NNID
Macho21798
With vet medicine there is a misconception that you don't work with people. The truth is that you work with people probably just as much as with human medicine. You deal with the owners of the animals (who make all the decisions) and you work with your team (nurses and other vets) in the clinic. There are a few things about vet medicine that aren't ideal as well:

1) the pay isn't great. Especially after all those years of studying and having a huge debt to pay.
2) You will deal with a lot of owners who complain about money. "$200?? Why is it so expensive- it's just a dog!". You don't really get that with human medicine.

Having said that I know many vets who absolutely love their job and wouldn't swap it for the world. Otherwise I do know vets who wished they did medicine. So I recommend volunteering at a lot of vet clinics before you decide to persue that career. There are a number of web pages that describe the reality of being a vet so I would give those a read too.

Are there any other places around? I'd actually go to the place rather than call. Go there and request to speak to the manager and talk about working there. It shows you're confident and committed.

That's sweet, my sister wants to do the same thing.

Haha cool. What do you wanna do when you graduate?
I still haven't thought about what I wanna do after I graduate, I'm probably just gonna worry about work and getting my drivers license ASAP.

Lil_Gonz

Inkling
NNID
Macho21798
I just feel like I need to start driving since the rest of my family already drives except me of course.

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
Undergraduate Math/Physics dual major student, also working as a research assistant in biophysics (mostly medical imaging) and a private math tutor (everything from middle school to partial differential equations).

I'm the type where idle time is the worst thing ever so I keep myself busy.

Nozzlepops

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nozzles
I am currently unemployed, but going to school full time. Working on genEd's right now, but plan on studying to become a nurse in the future once I transfer to the university that I wish to attend.

I used to work as a supervisor at CVS/Pharmacy for 2 years, the pay wasn't super amazing, and I got robbed 3 times whilst working there, so it wasn't really worth it anymore.

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
Undergraduate Math/Physics dual major student, also working as a research assistant in biophysics (mostly medical imaging) and a private math tutor (everything from middle school to partial differential equations).

I'm the type where idle time is the worst thing ever so I keep myself busy.
You must really like your maths huh!

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
Currently unemployed, lost my last job in retail cause of illness. I'm going to university to study psychology in a month and I have a job interview in a book shop on Thursday. Uuugh I so want it. Also I am waiting to complete a Certificate in aged care so I can work as a carer if nothing else comes up. I'd like do do something that makes a difference.

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
Undergrad full time student/part time worker. Major is Asian Studies, though I plan to study abroad in Japan next semester, and major in Japanese. I hope to be a translator, freelance would be nice but working for a company is a good start. Currently working at Panera Bread, though I kinda hate it.

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
Currently unemployed, lost my last job in retail cause of illness. I'm going to university to study psychology in a month and I have a job interview in a book shop on Thursday. Uuugh I so want it. Also I am waiting to complete a Certificate in aged care so I can work as a carer if nothing else comes up. I'd like do do something that makes a difference.
How did your job interview go? Hope it went well! What makes you want to psychology may I ask? I've heard there aren't many job opportunities in that field but I may be wrong!

Undergrad full time student/part time worker. Major is Asian Studies, though I plan to study abroad in Japan next semester, and major in Japanese. I hope to be a translator, freelance would be nice but working for a company is a good start. Currently working at Panera Bread, though I kinda hate it.
Hey I wanted to do this too i.e. work in Japan and become fluent in Japanese. Can you speak any other languages? Lol why do you hate working at the bread shop?

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
How did your job interview go? Hope it went well! What makes you want to psychology may I ask? I've heard there aren't many job opportunities in that field but I may be wrong!
My job interview is on Wednesday, so I haven't had it yet. I want to do psychology because it's something I've always been interested in, I really want to help people and I've struggled with mental illness myself and recovered with the help of therapy so I know what it's like. I won't be done for many years so I'll just have to see what the job opportunities are like then.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Apparently my occupation is hurting myself because I fell up the stairs today at 6 am, Opened my new straightener with my hands it was really hard plastic and I cut myself REALLY BADLY AND I ALSO HAVE BRUISE ON MY THUMB FROM DOING IT at 6:30 am, and burned myself with a straightener that was on 370ºF at 7 am... I also have a headache I saw Pokemon symphonic orchestra in Pittsburgh today...

PS: I still haven't heard back from the jobs but it is only sunday!

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
Hey I wanted to do this too i.e. work in Japan and become fluent in Japanese. Can you speak any other languages? Lol why do you hate working at the bread shop?
I can only speak Japanese, and I'm not entirely fluent in it. Especially because I haven't tried speaking with another person in Japanese for almost a year now. I would love to try learning other languages though. And I hate working at the bread shop because it is food retail. Good food, but the customers sometimes make me wanna scream. E.g., a lady came in the other day asking if there were any menu items that were gluten free, dairy free and had nothing particularly spicy in it. I was internally screaming and annoyed that she took so long to order, holding up the line that was quickly growing out the door.

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
I've just finished high school as of December last year and I am going into university right at the end of this month, so I guess I'm currently a uni student. I'll be doing a Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood.

I'm an Early Childhood Educator. Love the job. Get paid 25$ an hour.
That's good to hear that you enjoy it! I'm hoping to get into something like that once I finish my uni course. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom