• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

When is it ever worth leaving a lobby?

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I usually leave lobbies, but sometimes even if I stick in the lobby, when there are not many players, the S+ lobbies will freak out, and make me the host of a new lobby.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
For ranked, I always leave with two losses in a row. But I rarely stay in the same lobby even if I win a few in a row. It also depends on the people in the lobby. If I have to deal with a world class sniper potentially being on the other team, I may not feel like staying. Especially on my main account, which is S+, I hop lobbies when I play ranked, which is kinda rare anyway.

On my Alt S account, I stay in lobbies longer since I don't care about my rank as much. But I still leave after a few wins or losses in a row.

pikmini

Inkling
NNID
secret
I always leave the lobby after every game, because then if I stay there too long, then the players will figure out my strategy and take advantage to it.

(Although I do meet them again lmao)

bayleef0909

Inkling
NNID
bayleef0909
Personally, I like to stay in lobbies, unless it feels like I keep running into the same things, specifically dying to the same weapon.

I often like to pick one person in a lobby to be my "rival", especially if we are playing the same weapon or exchanging splats.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
I had it the other day where someone in my team idled for the entire match IN RANKED. Yeah, go ahead and idle in Turf War because it means nothing, but you're REALLY going to do it in ranked, where people are trying to rank up? Like, SERIOUSLY?? I know I shouldn't be so irate as something serious could be going down in that player's rl, their nan could be having a stroke or anything, but in the moment it induces rage. It's very frustrating to get KO'ed in a match due to a player on your team that's not even bothering to play.

I promptly left the lobby. No way in hell I'm going to be paired with that guy again.

Has anyone ever left a lobby, searched for a new one and landed back in the same lobby?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Has anyone ever left a lobby, searched for a new one and landed back in the same lobby?
I've always wondered if that's possible. What has happened to me, at least in a couple of Splatfests, is that I meet one or two of the same players in a different lobby, which is always a pleasant surprise, but... maybe there's some active measure preventing one from rejoining a given lobby.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
I've always wondered if that's possible. What has happened to me, at least in a couple of Splatfests, is that I meet one or two of the same players in a different lobby, which is always a pleasant surprise, but... maybe there's some active measure preventing one from rejoining a given lobby.
I swear it has happened to me before. I'm sure I left a lobby to switch from my .96 to my Octobrush, rejoined and was paired with the same people. Unless the people in the new lobby had similar names.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I had it the other day where someone in my team idled for the entire match IN RANKED. Yeah, go ahead and idle in Turf War because it means nothing, but you're REALLY going to do it in ranked, where people are trying to rank up? Like, SERIOUSLY?? I know I shouldn't be so irate as something serious could be going down in that player's rl, their nan could be having a stroke or anything, but in the moment it induces rage. It's very frustrating to get KO'ed in a match due to a player on your team that's not even bothering to play.

I promptly left the lobby. No way in hell I'm going to be paired with that guy again.

Yes, it happens. either that or several people left the lobby at the same time and rejoined a new one at the same time and all got put on the same new one together.

Worst one for me was I was squadding with someone and there was a Dyanmo on our team that DC'd 1/3 the way through. We exited the lobby, and my squadmate blocked that player. We start a new match and that SAME DYNAMO was back in the new lobby! And worse, the Dynamo DC'd AGAIN! That was infuriating!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
After reading the suggestions in this thread, I've wound up totally changing my habits: now, I never stay in a room for two consecutive games, allowing all players to be shuffled each time I play. I do think that I prefer this, if only because I know there are some players with whom I can already barely stand playing 5 minutes... but all said, I should try sticking around from time to time, particularly if it looks like I'm very dominant in a lobby (which actually happens occasionally now!), as I'm happy for any opportunity to edge up my Rank, even if less than wholesomely. It's ultimately just more buffer and a more comfortable proximity to ranking up rather than down.

flamestar6

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kris4490
i see a player in private match then 1 hour later i go on ranked see that player again then again like how and why. then theres that one player that hunts you every round everytime. i have some what tolerance to leaving

Award

i see a player in private match then 1 hour later i go on ranked see that player again then again like how and why. then theres that one player that hunts you every round everytime. i have some what tolerance to leaving
You've seen that too? It does make me wonder just how small the active Splatoon player base really is these days....

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I have found myself changing lobbies every round, mostly just for time. If you stay in the same lobby there is a very strong chance that everyone or almost everyone has left. I will usually stay after a bad loss though, because I don't want to be that one guy that blames the team and then runs away (I usually do awful, like 2 splats 4 deaths, but so does my team!).

When I do stay, it's because it was a really good match, where most people will stay in the lobby. But, I always switch on my main account, because I usually stop using that one after a single win! (It is really terrifying when you have 94 points in S and the F-ING AMAZING 96 DECO IS ON THE OTHER TEAM!!)

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I change them when I feel like I'm not happy with the set of weapons everyone has. For example if six of us are using chargers. And although I hate nothing more than blaming my team, I also leave when someone simply is clear deadweight and the matches go down to who gets him in his team. I mean, I'd also leave if I noticed that I was being deadweight to my team. It's not about blaming others or yourself. But sometimes a player doesn't fit with the standard of the others. Like I wouldn't fit if everyone else was a professional S+99 player.

Last edited:

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
I tend to leave lobbies after overwhelming wins/losses, and after I’ve made use of a very obvious, distinctive strategy (for example, assisting a TC/RM push with Beakons, staying behind and going for the easy splats).

Award

I change them when I feel like I'm not happy with the set of weapons everyone has. For example if six of us are using chargers. And although I hate nothing more than blaming my team, I also leave when someone simply is clear deadweight and the matches go down to who gets him in his team. I mean, I'd also leave if I noticed that I was being deadweight to my team. It's not about blaming others or yourself. But sometimes a player doesn't fit with the standard of the others. Like I wouldn't fit if everyone else was a professional S+99 player.
Yesterday I learned that sometimes the worst looking player is the best one :P The rounds in zones where I had only a few splats and double digit deaths while my teams appeared to be better were coincidentally the matches I was painting the zone alone while my team avoided it because it's just too dangerous. :P

Some people are against blaming their teams. But one has to be able to see their teams at least on the half of the map containing the objective to be able to exonerate them. Less than 1/4 of my teams did that yesterday :P

And that was WITH changing lobbies every single match!

Reactions: Ulk

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Yesterday I learned that sometimes the worst looking player is the best one :p The rounds in zones where I had only a few splats and double digit deaths while my teams appeared to be better were coincidentally the matches I was painting the zone alone while my team avoided it because it's just too dangerous. :p

Some people are against blaming their teams. But one has to be able to see their teams at least on the half of the map containing the objective to be able to exonerate them. Less than 1/4 of my teams did that yesterday :p

And that was WITH changing lobbies every single match!
Well it would be shallow to base performance exclusively on one's K/D ratio of course. Kills are a lot more important in ranked, but far too many people don't know that it's not everything. There are not just those who rather follow the objective, but even support types providing terrirorial advantages for the team to have them perform a higher number of kills or following the objective safely. In the end, both of those usually have a higher death count. But I would never consider either of that deadweight unless they were bad at following the objective or bad at acting as a support type along with having a bad K/D ratio though.

Award

Well it would be shallow to base performance exclusively on one's K/D ratio of course. Kills are a lot more important in ranked, but far too many people don't know that it's not everything. There are not just those who rather follow the objective, but even support types providing terrirorial advantages for the team to have them perform a higher number of kills or following the objective safely. In the end, both of those usually have a higher death count. But I would never consider either of that deadweight unless they were bad at following the objective or bad at acting as a support type along with having a bad K/D ratio though.
Yep. Though it's hard figuring out who's the dead weight given the speed of the play. Granted, the one all the way in the enemy base, alone, encased on all sides in enemy ink...it's kind of obvious. As is the zones round we lost in skate park where I look at the map and see one wide (dynamo!) roller path painted (rolled!) right through the enemy base :P Those are obvious. But short of the obvious ones I always find it difficult to pick out who really failed. I have an urge to assume it's me....but then I realize I'm the one carrying the next winning match :P

Reactions: Ulk

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Yep. Though it's hard figuring out who's the dead weight given the speed of the play. Granted, the one all the way in the enemy base, alone, encased on all sides in enemy ink...it's kind of obvious. As is the zones round we lost in skate park where I look at the map and see one wide (dynamo!) roller path painted (rolled!) right through the enemy base :p Those are obvious. But short of the obvious ones I always find it difficult to pick out who really failed. I have an urge to assume it's me....but then I realize I'm the one carrying the next winning match :p
Though I'm really angry I always try to think how to best support team mates, but that Dynamo you mentioned was incredible lol

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Yep. Though it's hard figuring out who's the dead weight given the speed of the play. Granted, the one all the way in the enemy base, alone, encased on all sides in enemy ink...it's kind of obvious. As is the zones round we lost in skate park where I look at the map and see one wide (dynamo!) roller path painted (rolled!) right through the enemy base :p Those are obvious. But short of the obvious ones I always find it difficult to pick out who really failed. I have an urge to assume it's me....but then I realize I'm the one carrying the next winning match :p
Oh, I'm just talking about the clear deadweight here. There are others that for example obviously try to be the offensive type, hide in the enemy territory to land sneak kills but are the ones constantly being killed. But other than that, I mean if they're not bad enough to stick out in the first place, it's not that much of a big deal. All of us have been the worst of a team at some point and there is no problem with that. But if it's obvious that the teams are getting dragged down, I see that as a reason to leave and search for a new group (after the match of course).

Award

Oh, I'm just talking about the clear deadweight here. There are others that for example obviously try to be the offensive type, hide in the enemy territory to land sneak kills but are the ones constantly being killed. But other than that, I mean if they're not bad enough to stick out in the first place, it's not that much of a big deal. All of us have been the worst of a team at some point and there is no problem with that. But if it's obvious that the teams are getting dragged down, I see that as a reason to leave and search for a new group (after the match of course).
I suppose there's the other problem. When the WHOLE team is the dead weight. Which seems frequent for me :( :p

Like TC in Moray the other day....my team would splat enemies off the tower. But they would not get on the empty tower themselves. Not EVER. So naturally the score was like 38-98 the whole match (until the big push where the enemy managed to narrow it to like 3-98 :rolleyes:. I saw lobby after lobby of that very same thing that day.

(And yes, I did try riding, but since I had eliter, we can guess how far I got most rounds except the one where the enemy was equally bad and I was able to ride it all the way to KO and even shot some of them on the way :p )

What gets me though is that this is in ALL LOBBIES - switching every time, and the team compositions seem to be the same between each. Like the matchmaker is INTENTIONALLY pairing it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom