• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

When is it ever worth leaving a lobby?

Lucas

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Armanderp
This post is mostly for Ranked Battles. I never know when to leave a lobby so I came to ask here. I feel like someone posted about this already, but anyway.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I leave a lobby when:

I want to change weapons.
I want to stop playing the game or just ranked.
I feel like I am playing terribly and I'd rather not ruin the game for other people.

I don't think there are any rules or guidelines regarding when you should or shouldn't leave a lobby.

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
I'll usually stay in a lobby since I'm too lazy to leave. However, I will leave if:

- I want to find new people to play with.
- I want to try a different weapon.
- There's a disconnection, although that's not really something that is in my favour lol.
- I want to order gear.
- I want to friend someone.
- I want to switch modes.
- I need to talk to Judd to get my $$$ bonus.
- I want to take a break.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Any time I start sucking badly, I quit out so I can change my gear & weapon, in a vain attempt to find some combination that'll give me an edge.

In Splatfests, I'll quit out in the hopes that my replacement for that squad will help them win, and perhaps find a team that I can win with. (I'd hate to be the reason our team lost.)

I realize this sounds quite petty... it's not supposed to be.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Short answer: Whenever you feel like it.
Long(er) answer: There's several reasons for when to leave a lobby, one good reason might be if the matchmaking isn't in your favor. If you notice you're having a losing streak why not try for a new lobby? It's not like those players are going to keelhaul you over that. ;)
Other reasons (for me) include: Changing gear/weapons, changing modes, taking a break from ranked/the game, if I spotted a shiny piece of equipment I might want to try out. But I guess the most important reason is; If I'm feeling like there's no harmony with my current team(s) I try for a new lobby, hoping that the next couple teams are going to fit my overall playstyle better. Also, because money.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
1. If you see players trolling/squid partying and you don't want to join.
2. If the players in the lobby are significantly better than you.
3. If the players in the lobby are significantly worse than you.
4. If you want to change weapons and gear, or use your cash to buy something.
5. If you want to cash in your streak before the next stage rotation.
6. During a Splatfest, you have poor team synergy (3 chargers, no long range weapons)

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
When any of those:
-Connection unstable appears
-A "teleport" player was on the last match (I leave the lobby to block it)
-Last match finished as a knockout (Both win or lose. In my opinion a knockout is a brute difference of skill between players, I'm afraid of losing KO again or getting on the loser team, so I leave.)
-I lose two matches in a row (I stop playing ranked and return on the next rotation)

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
In ranked I usually quit a lobby after each round. It's just force of habit.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
I've made it a habit to leave the lobby after every match. I don't know why, it just kinda happened. Probably because I want a fresh group of players every time. Unless I find another player that I consider "worthy enough" to be my rival (lol), or if I find a good Splatfest team.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I leave a Ranked lobby after every match, it's just a better way of playing against many different players and prevents similar matches from happening as a result of sticking with the same few players. It's always worth leaving if you spot shiny or pure gear that could help benefit your playstyle and want to try going for it. Otherwise, the only other ways of leaving are when there's a severe imbalance of player skill, a lot of lag or just too many people using the same weapons. It's not fun playing against a team comprised of .96 Gal Decos, Tentateks, .52 Gals and a Splat Charger or E-Litre, since it leads to matches where they can stomp your team for lacking one of those weapon types of not having a sub to deal with Splash Walls or a special to combat snipers or similarly long ranged weapons. Leaving every match benefits you more since you can see whether your current playstyle is working and gives you a chance to swap out gear abilities and/or weapons before jumping back in for more.

Falliiing

Inkling
NNID
falliiing
I leave the lobby almost every time I play if Im not playing with friends, so that way I can give myself a few minutes of relax, check messages and calm down from any irritation that happened in the last match. But sometime I will stay if all the players are really good and the match was close, just cause its fun to have a challenge like that.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Rank or tw?
For tw:
Want to see if a friend is on
Want to see if I can find better skilled people (does not matter if my team or others) I was doing this a lot when the morway change was released and I was trying to find a skilled charger to see how big of a difference it made.
Too many unskilled people in the lobby (does not matter if my team or other, I want a challenge and I can't get better off people acting like they had the game for a day)
Top name with ground braking lag or too many with too much lag to the point it is making me mad.

For rank:
Too many unskilled (or some kind of gap between the two teams, even if I am winning and do shutout I may leave cuz i do not want the other people on my side. However I never do this when I am trying to do my speed runs in rank. I stay in till the rank change kicks me out. I do this to prove I was making the wins, till the higher letters anyway like A- and above.)
Lag
for S/S+ I may change rooms if it looks like people are adopting to my play style and countering it.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I came here to post a poll thread about "when do you change lobbies?" and found this thread already here. Great squiddy minds think alike!

I find it interesting to see a lot of very good players do quite the opposite. On my main account I tended to stick with a lobby until it became really bad, but then started changing lobbies every match. On my alt, I raised it from Cflat to B+ in a single lobby/rotation (or 2, there might have been a disconnect in between), but B+ took 2-3 sessions, and back in the A's, I've returned to leaving the lobby every match for the most part.

I do tend to stick with the same lobby if both teams seem well matched and end up finishing in a very tight match as I can assume the possibility that I'm the difference between win and loss (especially as an alt) in these matches between two otherwise equally good teams and can keep the win streak going with any mix of players. But VERY rarely does the matchmaker give me that luxury. I'm forever cursed with weak teams against strong teams, and if I stay with a lobby after a win I seem likely to be given the weak players from the other team after the good players from my team leave, while, if I stay in the lobby after a loss, I'll keep getting the same weak players who seem to think I can carry them (I can't.) Like others said, these matches that end in a KO in under a minute I bail win or lose. Last night in TC, almost every single match was a 25 second KO. Even with different lobbies sometimes it was my team, sometimes it was the other. But no match lasted longer than a minute. I just stopped playing while I was ahead. Some matches I'm against a super player I don't want to deal with again, others I have 3 teammates who do not touch the objective (or worse, grab it instantly and do nothing with it.)

I've sometimes considered the bad matchmaking might be "punishing" me for switching lobbies too often. I'm glad to see some S+'s that haven't experienced that - it's just me! (yay?)

So I've been wondering, myself, whether others switch lobbies every match, or only when they lose, or only when they win, or never unless they're weapon switching.

for S/S+ I may change rooms if it looks like people are adopting to my play style and countering it.
I've often considered this, and I'm glad I'm not alone. Especially for players of more short range/specialty weapons (and chargers) there's going to be patterns, map techniques etc that you have to use to your advantage, and playing against the same players, or, worse, playing against your former teammates gives them way too much knowledge about your practiced strategies for weapons that require stealth and positioning. Mid-range shooters don't really have that problem.

It's a shame it doesn't work like splatfest where you can stick with your same team if they work well with you, and keep getting new random enemies to play against rather than just shuffling around the same lobby and throwing random players in.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Award's pretty much on the ball in my opinion. I generally leave lobbies after every match as a force of habit these days. If a match is a shut-out on either either side I'd rather not risk repeats, and when it comes to ranked I definitely don't want former allies using knowledge of my shenanigans against me.

Also, something about my playstyle tends to enrage people. I've been told as such, not sure what makes me different from any other snipery support guy. Hanging around generally means that by the third or fourth match at least one person's gunning for me hardcore, sometimes on my own team. I get enough blood feuds and non-playing teammates just hopping from lobby to lobby :rolleyes:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You are a sniper, of course you enrage people lol.

Nways, very good thinking of your part here: "when it comes to ranked I definitely don't want former allies using knowledge of my shenanigans against me."

I will keep that in mind from now on.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I normally stay in a lobby until I feel like grabbing a snack, often against my better judgement. It doesn't matter in Turf Wars and I enjoy playing both in much stronger and much weaker fields, the former for better Ranked experience and the latter for... target practice, heh. But in Ranked itself, whenever the lobby is plagued by a single player who dominates any match, effectively making my chances of victory barely worth striving towards unless they're with me... I need to get into the habit of leaving such rooms, as it always spirals into a horrid losing streak.

I like the above ideas about not wanting opponents to know my habits, although the corollary thereto is that I can also mark the patterns of my would-be enemies; perhaps it's better, by that theory, to stay around so as to hone one's abilities to read and react to patterns of play?

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I wouldn't say there's a huge amount of reasons to ditch lobbies, just a couple key ones. For one, I don't stick with hugely uncoordinated, poor synergy teams. This doesn't mean I switch after every loss, but if it was an overwhelming, painful loss, it generally means it's time to leave. If there's loads of the same weapon class / poor weapon matching, I also usually bail. They supposedly updated this element of matchmaking, but it seems very flawed because I'm still seeing loads of duplicate weapons, especially in squads. Charger + charger, Luna + Luna + Luna matches, no thank you. I'm out.

If you find a tightly compatible, well-coordinated team with high capability to win (matches are being won excellently / your team was very close to winning), generally I make a point to remain in that lobby as long as possible, while the strong compatibility remains.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I leave after every lobby. It mixes up the weapons I fight against/with and pairs me with people of a different skill level every game, so I get better and do better and am less bored, since I'm not playing against/with the same people with the same weapons every match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom