Votes: 8 30.8%
  • enemy rushers

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I can't decide which are worse/more annoying: teammates who refuse to do anything but paint every square inch of your base (sometimes literally) or teammates who constantly charge into the enemy team and die (or successfully get behind them, paint a bit, and then die).
Both are most common in turf, but they still appear in ranked (i haven't seen anyone paint every literal square inch though). They both do something, technically, but only barely. I can't decide which one does less though

to make this post more positive I'm changing the question to which one is better. It's basically the same thing though, everything above still applies

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I can't decide which are worse/more annoying: teammates who refuse to do anything but paint every square inch of your base (sometimes literally) or teammates who constantly charge into the enemy team and die (or successfully get behind them, paint a bit, and then die).
Both are most common in turf, but they still appear in ranked (i haven't seen anyone paint every literal square inch though). They both do something, technically, but only barely. I can't decide which one does less though

to make this post more positive I'm changing the question to which one is better. It's basically the same thing though, everything above still applies
For enemy rushers, do you mean people who are trying to get behind them to paint or people who are diving for no good reason?

Last edited:

☆Oblivion☆

Senior Squid
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Oblivion_spl
Switch Friend Code
SW-8277-3410-3718
If the rusher is using something made for skirmishing then it should be fine if they know what they are doing. Meanwhile a base painter won't really focus on keeping the enimies out of their space so in conclusion, rushers are kinda better.

cipsbsndj

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0937-9859-6660
If you’re playing Turf War, then base-inkers, ‘cause that turf has to be inked by someone, and I’d rather not do it myself

In the ranked modes, however, enemy rushers are more likely to help out with objective, while base inkers aren’t in any relevant position

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
For enemy rushers, do you mean people who are trying to get behind them to paint or people who are diving for no good reason?
I guess I was thinking of both. It usually ends the same way though.

Wait, do you mean people that are getting behind them exclusively to paint? I hadn't even considered that. That's like... base painter and enemy rusher combined. Yet somehow worse than both.

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I guess I was thinking of both. It usually ends the same way though.

Wait, do you mean people that are getting behind them exclusively to paint? I hadn't even considered that. That's like... base painter and enemy rusher combined. Yet somehow worse than both.
Striving for a special they will never obtain lol

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I would argue for base painters, even in the anarchy modes. Usually a base painter will have a long-range special like Missiles, so they'll still contribute to the match through special spam. They're actually invaluable in Turf War, as the most effective competitive Turf War strategy is to have one player stay back and ink the base while the rest of the team holds space in mid. It's why REEF-LUX is still popular.

The biggest reason I'd argue base painters are better teammates, though, is because their strategy is finite. There is only so much base for them to paint before they have to move forward and take space. A reckless rusher or serial flanker is able to feed for the entire match.

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
base painters move in hordes in my experience and you never want more than one at a time. so I'd take enemy rushers

a hot mess

Inkling Fleet Admiral
painfully and slowly rotting in my bed <3
Pronouns
Any
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
I would argue for base painters, even in the anarchy modes. Usually a base painter will have a long-range special like Missiles, so they'll still contribute to the match through special spam. They're actually invaluable in Turf War, as the most effective competitive Turf War strategy is to have one player stay back and ink the base while the rest of the team holds space in mid. It's why REEF-LUX is still popular.

The biggest reason I'd argue base painters are better teammates, though, is because their strategy is finite. There is only so much base for them to paint before they have to move forward and take space. A reckless rusher or serial flanker is able to feed for the entire match.
puh-lease. base inkers are pathetic.

Babab

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-7735-7052-6321
I think base painters because at least they’ll have specials instead of just dying.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i am assuming that it is 1 or 2 teammates of this and not a full team of them, and it is in ranked modes
if this was players who only excessively paint vs players who excessively dive and flank, it would be a much more even match. with it being players who just paint everything as much as they can and only slowly move up and only to paint more vs players who excessively dive and flank, the winner easily goes to the divers. in both cases, these players are either unaware of the objective or just not caring about it, but the thing about the divers (i guess im just calling them that now) is that they don't need to care about it. for the painters to be useful, they need to paint around objective and their teammates, but the divers just need to go to the enemies. this means that you can just play around them and support them doing this so that it is actually successful, but with a base painter you can't do that because half the time they aren't at objective or even near you at all, and if you could support and help them it doesn't actually do anything, you just become a base painter with them. even if the base painter farms specials, the only one that would be somewhat good is missiles and that is only going to work for a portion of the match, because when they run out of base to paint, they can't keep moving up because they will just keep getting splatted. sure, the divers are going to get splatted a lot, but that can happen a lot less if you help them fight by either dealing chip damage or painting an area around them so they actually have a good place to fight. plus, both sides don't offer much at all, but this type of player can still be played around. the difficulty with it is that you have to play around that player's pace and not your own to get anything out of it, but you don't get anything out of base painters besides special spam and a bunch of paint at most up to mid which at least 80% of would not be relevant to the game.

i was going to ask what would happen if you put a team of completely aggressive enemy rushers vs a team of completely passive base painters who would win, but the answer is nobody. both won't play objective because all of the divers just go for splats and the painters literally can't play objective because they are too busy getting splatted and painting base.

we all been forgetting the real worst type of teammate though, which is the player that excessively does objective. they only try and ride the tower at all times, only sit back and paint zones, always grabbing rain maker no matter what, or using ink brush and rolling around trying to spam power clams in the enemy basket. i honestly have a problem with these types of teammates the most, because 1: how are they in my rank 2: i am so sad that they don't know how to play this game, it's so fun and cool they are missing out on a lot and 3: wait a minute this was a series noo i just lost my streak! you might be able to argue that you can play around this player just as much as you can an enemy rusher, but i just find it so much harder to do that for these types of players.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Might I ask what you do during a Turf War match?
Home-base inkers are no more pathetic than enemy-base inkers are cringe.
"pathetic" and "cringe" aren't words I would use, but neither of these strategies are particularly helpful, so in a way you're right.
Squid school made a good video about base painting a while ago (during the "ink your base" trend) but I couldn't find it :(

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
we all been forgetting the real worst type of teammate though, which is the player that excessively does objective. they only try and ride the tower at all times, only sit back and paint zones, always grabbing rain maker no matter what, or using ink brush and rolling around trying to spam power clams in the enemy basket. i honestly have a problem with these types of teammates the most, because 1: how are they in my rank 2: i am so sad that they don't know how to play this game, it's so fun and cool they are missing out on a lot and 3: wait a minute this was a series noo i just lost my streak! you might be able to argue that you can play around this player just as much as you can an enemy rusher, but i just find it so much harder to do that for these types of players.
like base painting, but the ranked version.

This one definitely depends on the mode. Maybe that's not the ideal weapon for the rainmaker or tower in your comp, but does it really hurt that much? Unlike base painters, they're almost guaranteed to be at least close to a relevant position on the map. I can't say the same thing about clam blitz though (or zones when the other team has control), those are very much unhelpful.

Hikarimoon

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
ENEMY RUSHERS!!!
They can get to the enemy’s side super fast while I charge up my special.
Also base painters are super annoying imo ‘cause I can’t charge up my special

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
like base painting, but the ranked version.

This one definitely depends on the mode. Maybe that's not the ideal weapon for the rainmaker or tower in your comp, but does it really hurt that much? Unlike base painters, they're almost guaranteed to be at least close to a relevant position on the map. I can't say the same thing about clam blitz though (or zones when the other team has control), those are very much unhelpful.
every weapon will have to be able to switch between playing normally and playing objective, even if not the ideal weapon. im talking about the people that will only focus on objective, like base painters only focusing on painting and enemy rushers only focusing on splatting. they get on tower even if it is the worst possible time, they jump the rainmaker or start pushing with it alone, even if it is the worst possible time to do so (both are not bad things to do, but they have to be done at the right times), they paint zone as soon as it is flipped without realizing they are either rushing into the enemies to do so or enemies are rushing them, and they only guard zone at all times, and on clams they only try to score as many power clams as possible. all of which are at least relevant to the game, but most of the time it ends up actually hurting the team because they get splatted and now they can't do anything at all. sometimes, the stars align and you actually end up absolutely steamrolling the enemy team, but i have had so many games lost because of bad plays around the objective that were not coordinated with the team. i know it is hard to coordinate in solo q, but you can make a good attempt if you are aware of the state of the game and your teammates. there aren't a lot of people that actually strictly do the things i listed, either, it's just that when they do, either as a desperation attempt at the end of a game, or just a mistake, it can really hurt sometimes. I have also seen so much more of this happen than having base painters and sole divers.

thinking about all 3 just made me think about someone grabbing rainmaker and trying to flank the enemy team but instead of splatting them they just paint their entire base

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I haven't had a base painter in the ranked modes but from what I do know from playing Turf War, I would still prefer having teammate that rushes the enemy team over a base painter. Base painters tend to play very passively which isn't necessarily bad but they also don't push ahead when they should and end up just throwing bombs and staying around where the team has paint control. I play Machine so I really like having players who can follow up on any chip damage I get on the enemy team players and push forward with me so even if the enemy rushers end up dying a lot, I can at least know my team will take advantage of having map control to push objective. It's still not great but enemy rushers can have QR builds to help with the constant deaths and some weapons like Sploosh, end up achieving some miracle plays every once in a while lol. Base painters being extremely passive means that if we don't have lead in the last minute, I'm not going to feel very confident in our ability to make a last second push.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom