• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Which map do you think is the most well balanced and why?

Topic.

• Ancho-V Games

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Arowana Mall

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Bluefin Depot

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Blackbelly Skatepark

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Camp Triggerfish

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Flounder Heights

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Hammerhead Bridge

• Kelp Dome

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Mahi-Mahi Resort

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Moray Towers

• Museum d'Alfonsino

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Piranha Pit

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Port Mackeral

• Saltspray Rig

• Urchin Underpass

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Walleye Warehouse

Votes: 46 52.9%

• Total voters

Koro-Koro

Inkling
NNID
Korone313
I suppose WW is balanced, though no matter what weapon I use I always end up losing on this map :P. IMO Mahi-Mahi is the most balanced, I've had success on it with pretty much all of the weapon classes, closer ranged weapons are able to ink the main area, chargers and long-ranged ones on the higher platforms, etc.

⭐️Latias

Full Squid
NNID
pikachurox19
(Moray Towers for sure :p )

First map that comes to mind is Walleye Warehouse. There's no real "safe" place for chargers to snipe; Snipe Grate, even though it offers great visibility, can be shot at from down below and the U-crates and box are also really easy to shoot at. It's a small map, but not too small to where you get run over by a roller every ten seconds.

I also feel Piranha Pit is pretty balanced. Again, there's no great place for chargers to snipe from, but move around a bit and you can get a lot of shots, especially on the travellators by tower. It's pretty easy to get to both zones from spawn, it's just pretty hard to get a knockout on rainmaker.

Last edited:

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Walleye is balanced well because any weapon can do fairly well on it. One thing that is nice is there are not that many places for chargers to camp and hit anyone from across the map, I'm looking at you moray.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Guys, after I fulfill the goals in my sig currently, I'm going to get full pure bomb distance up gear and get revenge on the chargers by cross-map bomb throwing

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Walleye is balanced well because any weapon can do fairly well on it. One thing that is nice is there are not that many places for chargers to camp and hit anyone from across the map, I'm looking at you moray.
I actually like what they've done to Moray - making the TW map the same as the SZ map. There are way more areas to take cover, and the sniper perch is more accessible now. It is much more varied in viable strategies now, which makes it more fun.

crunchgames

Inkling Cadet
NNID
crunchgames
I actually like what they've done to Moray - making the TW map the same as the SZ map. There are way more areas to take cover, and the sniper perch is more accessible now. It is much more varied in viable strategies now, which makes it more fun.
I must agree, Moray was always my favourite map (this is coming from a tentatek main who hates E-liters) but now that it has the fins to get into the snipe, it's way more balanced.

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
Agreed. Now it's no longer "get your special to take down the sniper before you can move to enemy territory". It's much more dynamic and fun to play in Turf War.

As for most balanced map, in my opinion, it's Urchin Underpass. I always liked that map. I feel no weapon is has completely the upper hand or is in a complete disadvantage on this map.

Owen

Inkling
NNID
wsmart9
Walleye Warehouse for sure. Crate is good for Chargers, Splatlings, and Jet Squelchers. Zone is good for any short to mid ranged weapon. You can expect most of them to come from Plat. Rollers can easily run through the opponents' Closed, allowing access to flanks. Each weapon can do a key part on this map.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I think kelp dome is the best most balanced stage. Every weapon is given an angle to shine and and a location to be punished. Snipers have viable but assaultable perchs. The overhead perchs are a blessing and a curse for rollers and blasters. Sloshers and longer range weapons can fire over walls while shooters have a large central zone to move in with cover. It's a level where skill and situational awareness often decide the winner and really showcases turf control while giving lots of options to counter. Teams that don't check the map often will be flanked and beaten.
why dome? that map greatly favors turfing weapons and more specifically, dynamo roller has a huge advantage there.

For me walleye, reasons been said, even has a good layout to discourage spawn camping, you need a skill gap to pull it off.

another for me (second pick) would be camp since i can use short range like krak on roller there well and long range. mall and moray changes def help things but a lot of long and narrow parts puts turfing weapon types at a disadvantage.

Walleye, TW and SZ at least. An open field for chargers to snipe around and side areas for more shorter-ranged weps to do fighting. The boxes in TC and RM make it easier for short-ranged weps to take down chargers.

There are plenty of pieces of cover for short-ranged shooters to hide in, additionally there are few useable spots for the E-Liter(and they are spaced quite far apart) to make the most out of their range. To be fair the map layout differs quite a lot depending on the gamemode, and that's not even taking the water-level mechanic in mind.
I would say water up is unbalanced and favors chargers, so unless we are talking TC (water down already) has a few problems. With splatzones I found my self waiting out a few times on the losing end to make the water lower trigger to get at chargers. In RM a new route opens up so if one side gets the lead, triggers water lower, that losing team can make a comback by using that eaiser route. However I do not know if that is "unfair or not" in general I do like mahi.. just when the water is down (So I do hate the start up in splatzones and tw.) I am indifferent in RM because of all those overhangs blocking and clipping shots. Sometimes it seems unfair where I can't splat someone 2 feet in front of me and I have to be in this situation to begin with, because of the overhangs.

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Walleye Warehouse is my first pick with Kelp Dome being a close second.
Walleye has plenty of space for rollers to work their magic, enough spots which can be utilized by any sniper weapon or long-range shooting weapon (squelchers, splatlings) and aren't as hard to reach like in old Moray Towers. I've always felt that Walleye is one of those maps that doesn't favor any weapon and which is why I really enjoy playing on this map.

Kelp Dome is another favorite of mine. A lot of paths for Rollers to cover, plenty of crates for shooters to surprise unsuspecting Inklings from above and a center for camping snipers to fight over. I really enjoy the mobility aspect of this map, even though it doesn't always feel as perfectly balanced as Walleye. Both maps do have spawn camping issues at some point though. Yes, I've had those teams. Luckily, it's not much of a common occurrence anymore >.>

While Blackbelly Skatepark seems balanced at first, I'm not really feeling it. Maybe it's because this map has the worst lag issues in general, my friends could confirm this. How is it for you guys? Does this map seem more prone to lag than others? .-.

crunchgames

Inkling Cadet
NNID
crunchgames
Walleye Warehouse is my first pick with Kelp Dome being a close second.
Walleye has plenty of space for rollers to work their magic, enough spots which can be utilized by any sniper weapon or long-range shooting weapon (squelchers, splatlings) and aren't as hard to reach like in old Moray Towers. I've always felt that Walleye is one of those maps that doesn't favor any weapon and which is why I really enjoy playing on this map.

Kelp Dome is another favorite of mine. A lot of paths for Rollers to cover, plenty of crates for shooters to surprise unsuspecting Inklings from above and a center for camping snipers to fight over. I really enjoy the mobility aspect of this map, even though it doesn't always feel as perfectly balanced as Walleye. Both maps do have spawn camping issues at some point though. Yes, I've had those teams. Luckily, it's not much of a common occurrence anymore >.>

While Blackbelly Skatepark seems balanced at first, I'm not really feeling it. Maybe it's because this map has the worst lag issues in general, my friends could confirm this. How is it for you guys? Does this map seem more prone to lag than others? .-.
Yeah, it's a really laggy map because of it's curves.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Walleye for sure, no question about it.
Snipers tend to have the upper hand if they are more skilled than their teammates.
But Walleye have such compact area of combat, the snipers are more often or always exposed to the opponent.
Any other map can have snipers proximite an area by themselves, even with subpar teammates or worse, as they can act as decoys or meat shields.
So yeah Walleye seems to be balanced enough where any type of weaponry can win against any other.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
Well, if we're saying balanced in terms of no one weapon type having a substantial advantage in a disproportionate amount of scenarios....I would say Camp Triggerfish. Or Kelp Dome. Both stages that have a solid combination of mid-sized perches and platforms, sizable ground space with breathing room for CQC weapons, and no walls or towers that are overly obstructive. They both offer alternate routes that aren't overly narrow, and also aren't too awkward or unpredictable. There are portions of solid view for snipers, and portions where the sniper doesn't necessarily have the advantage.

Personally, I think chargers too often have the advantage for me to consider Walleye as a contender here. Probably doesn't help I very recently played some matches in Walleye Zones and was finding it IMPOSSIBLE to safely approach anywhere near the area hordes of E-Liters were patrolling every match. :rolleyes: The perches there are a bit more predictable, sure, but a good E-Liter will have perfectly clear view of basically everyone's primary entry path.

I have a personal preference for Underpass being pretty balanced myself, although it kind of favors close and mid range because of the general path trajectory. One stage where chargers usually have the harder time.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So much love for Walleye Warehouse! This makes me happy, as it is my favorite map since the testfire back in 2015. The only map that comes close to it, to me, is Ancho-V Games, but it isn't as balanced.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Well my picks are: Walleye Warehouse, and Urchin Underpass. Although you could say Urchin is a little bit Short Mid range friendly, i still like the map. Walleye is the main attraction here so I'll skip that. But i don't get why Camp is so loved. I like the map, but being the most balanced? I don't like the wide open areas and the easy spawn camping (In my opinion) Inkzooka's are sometimes to good at this stage, and the same with some short range weapons. That's just my opinion though. I find kelp dome to be pretty ink-lob weapon based. Weapons who can throw their ink over the walls. But I still like it

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
My picks were Piranha Pit, and the blessed map called Mahi-Mahi Resort.

Piranha Pit's gimmick with the ramps are great, even if they are semi-avoidable. The middle ramps are great for flanks onto your opponent's plat, if your close ranged, and the ramps are excellent peaking tools for snipers. Zones on this map is absolute heaven, Tower Control on this map is alright. Rainmaker was a mess, so it got removed from online play. Honestly they should have patched it so that the rainmaker pedestals are somewhere else, but the map really didn't support rainmaker in the first place. The biggest problem with Piranha Pit though are the two big pits at the west and east ends of the map, they're so worthless outside of turf war and rainmaker (removed). Still, great map with just some design flaws.

Mahi-Mahi Resort, where do I start with this great map.
First of all, it looks Amazing with all the COLORS!!!
Not only is this masterpiece of a map aesthetically pleasing, it's also rather balanced for all weapon types.

For snipers (like myself) there are LOADS of perches, shot angles to choose from, from the raised platforms in mid, to the back street useful for getting shots in.

For close range weapons there's great cover distributed throughout the map, so that long-range weapons don't dominate, and great flanking routes through their sneaky, through the wall close to snipe, and their islands help you flank successfully.

For sloshers and blasters, trust me there are tons of great angles for you guys to get splats on the unsuspecting charger or splatling.

The stage also changes halfway throughout the match, I forgot what it was for other modes, however I love the water rising, because it makes player adapt to the map. Which is what splatoon should really be about: adapting to things that are new, and then seeing how that affects the meta.

But that's just my opinion. :/

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
Not sure but Moray needs to GTFO of my life *cries*

I mean I'll probably go with Walleye too for reasons already said. It's just one of those maps that's fine to use any weapon on. Unlike some...... *goes back to glaring at Moray*

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Mahi-Mahi is fun, and yeah Walleye can be a good time, but my personal favorites are Flounder Heights and Port Mackerel. So many ways to be stealthy, and sneak out of a camp if you get the chance, or in the case of Port...double back and avoid camping the other team.

Moray and Blackbelly can go take a long walk off a short pier :mad:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Tally another vote for Ancho-V Games. It's got a multitude of routes for assassins to take, good perches and firing angles for snipers, and the center and ramp areas are great stake-outs and arenas for the mid-range fighters.

Also, it's prettier than Walleye :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom