• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why are Motion Controls Avoided?

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I dont simply because I hate motion controls as a whole. Seriously cannot stand them. Hated the Wii entirely for that matter, dumped the damn thing rather quickly, dont miss it.

I tried it on this game for a brief time, declared it an abomination made of sadness and tragedy (well, to me anyway, not to others), and havent touched it since.

Also it can make my arm flare up.

I seem to do fine with the sticks though. Part of that though is actually probably from playing so much of Minecraft (with difficulty dramatically ramped up by mods) which is a first-person game, on the PC with a controller... and it should be noted, the PC version doesnt support controllers. Bloody well use it anyway, with an extremely strange control scheme. So going to a more "normal" control scheme on a controller of any sort for a console shooter turned out to be pretty easy. I'm generally fairly accurate so long as I dont get too excited or aggravated.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I think some people also avoid them if they have existing wrist issues. I know my wrists hurt a bit during the Testifires until I found a better way to hold the GamePad in neutral, i.e, on my lap and not in the air. So some cannot physically use the motion controls without pain, which is why one can turn them off.

In the end, using sticks might be slightly less optimal, but some dudes in the top 8 at Evo used pads for playing SFIV so the "optimal" controller is whichever one you use best.

florence

Full Squid
i've played a lot of shooters, so the motion controls were really hard for me to get down. played for a while without them, but then noticed that all the best players use them. once i got used to them, WOW, it's amazing, i like it even more than a keyboard/mouse!

Inkster Jr.
I have tried to play with and without motion control, but somehow I feel more comfortable with the motion controls. Using the stick feels really difficult, and the camera is spinning around in wrong directions (yes I tried reverse too). 8D And with having to use the right stick for aiming I find it really hard to use the ZR button for shooting. It's just a mess for me really. But I have never been a pro console player really.

What I do have noticed with the motion controls, it is really hard to turn quickly is someone is like right behind you. Or maybe it's just me... o_O
Using the Y button may help your difficulty turning around. Try looking up this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCHasPh3Qc&index=1&list=PLnQhD-GASGeNmCBAFYZAdm2Jc9rKWZ9gs

Inkster Jr.
I think some people also avoid them if they have existing wrist issues. I know my wrists hurt a bit during the Testifires until I found a better way to hold the GamePad in neutral, i.e, on my lap and not in the air. So some cannot physically use the motion controls without pain, which is why one can turn them off.

In the end, using sticks might be slightly less optimal, but some dudes in the top 8 at Evo used pads for playing SFIV so the "optimal" controller is whichever one you use best.
There was a Splatoon event at Evo? That's very exciting. I did not know that.

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
i've played a lot of shooters, so the motion controls were really hard for me to get down. played for a while without them, but then noticed that all the best players use them. once i got used to them, WOW, it's amazing, i like it even more than a keyboard/mouse!
This. Difficult to get used to, but aiming with Gyro is simply easier. Its used more in competitive play.

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
For me, using a joystick to aim feels more natural than the motion control. It just feels way too precise in movement, not to mention that I dislike motion control when it comes to aiming at things in FPS.

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
I personally find the motion controls to be a more comfortable fit with my play style in this game.

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
I dont simply because I hate motion controls as a whole.
You do know tons of games on the Wii can be played without motion controls and some didn't use motion controls at all right?

Anyway, I use a combination of the two. Its usually 80% motion 20% stick, makes turning way easier.

Dish

Full Squid
NNID
Englannd
It's just preference, I enjoy stick more because of my previous experience with shooters. Sure motion is more accurate after practice but mastering stick isn't a huge deficit either.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
I have been recently toying with gyro in turf. I sometimes panic and go 'ok .. how do I turn.. oh yeah!' *dead*

Also, I feel being on my bed does not help. Then I always have to turn the gamepad even further than before and i get disoriented.

Basically Still not as comfortable as stick but still trying.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I've been avoiding them for the longest time and only has just managed to learn them thanks to sniping practice (which I eventually shifted to guns) I didn't realize how much it would help my aim.

One of the main reasons for not using them though is the fact that I can be very fidgety while playing so motion controls will pick up on it and in turn, hinder my gameplay (I also used to use analouge for shooters in the past).

The only time I don't use motion now are for blasters and rollers.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Basically Still not as comfortable as stick but still trying.
Oh, yeah, I hate having to actually sit up and stop leaning my arms on my chair or something to start doing well in a match. I used to slouch super low and put my legs up against my wall when I played.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
You do know tons of games on the Wii can be played without motion controls and some didn't use motion controls at all right?

Anyway, I use a combination of the two. Its usually 80% motion 20% stick, makes turning way easier.

Oh, I'm familiar with the Wii's game selection. Too familiar. I used to sell the damn things at a local store, a big one. .....and I was the only one that REALLY had any gaming knowledge, so I was the only one that actually knew anything about what was being sold in the gaming section, so.... I had to be able to answer any questions, both sensible ones and otherwise ("Where is the Mario guy on the Xbox?"). I learned much about the Wii during that time. Not to mention learning what "shovelware" means.... but that's a different story.

I"m aware there are games that dont use those; I still have a couple (since the Wii U will run them after all), but tons of the major ones used it (I literally couldnt even play Skyward Sword at all, for example, it'd have wrecked my arm with what likely I would have found to be inaccurate controls), and developers tended to have this idea that if they used motion controls in their games, the games in question would sell like hotcakes, even if the actual gameplay was bloody awful (and thus, the demonic legions of really bad party games were spawned).

After too much time selling the damn things and dealing with it, not to mention dealing with friends that always wanted to play the games that tended to use those controls, well.... yeah, that hate was sealed.

As it is I'm very glad they didnt really do that sort of thing at all with the Wii U. I've not seen any games that at all really force it on the player whatsoever, even though it's sometimes there to some degree.

GBstep

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GBstep
I play shooters both on console and PC

Coming from other console shooters, I started out using the twin stick control scheme, since I'm very very jaded with motion controls.

After some time however, I noticed that more people were actually saying the motion controls are very good surprisingly, so I decided to test them out. After losing a bunch of times, I eventually got the hang of it. I find that it's way easier to be more precise with motion controls (Feels almost like using a mouse for me).

It also helped me a ton with Splatter Jumping, which I found really annoying to do using twin sticks.

Remillo

Inkling
NNID
Remillo
I tried turning off the motion controls once and hated using only the stick. I never came from an XBox or PS4 background, so I never had practice with using a stick to aim growing up. I've only actually started playing games on PC with an XBox controller, and I'm definitely not used playing BioShock or HalfLife with it. I much prefer the mouse. I just cranked up the sensitivity and motion controls work amazingly well for me!

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
Oh, yeah, I hate having to actually sit up and stop leaning my arms on my chair or something to start doing well in a match. I used to slouch super low and put my legs up against my wall when I played.
For real. Sometimes I need to sit up just to get a little bit more serious, but that's all I need to do. I can still lay back when I don't need to be serious. With motion, you always have to sit up hahaha.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Oh, I'm familiar with the Wii's game selection. Too familiar. I used to sell the damn things at a local store, a big one. .....and I was the only one that REALLY had any gaming knowledge, so I was the only one that actually knew anything about what was being sold in the gaming section, so.... I had to be able to answer any questions, both sensible ones and otherwise ("Where is the Mario guy on the Xbox?"). I learned much about the Wii during that time. Not to mention learning what "shovelware" means.... but that's a different story.

I"m aware there are games that dont use those; I still have a couple (since the Wii U will run them after all), but tons of the major ones used it (I literally couldnt even play Skyward Sword at all, for example, it'd have wrecked my arm with what likely I would have found to be inaccurate controls), and developers tended to have this idea that if they used motion controls in their games, the games in question would sell like hotcakes, even if the actual gameplay was bloody awful (and thus, the demonic legions of really bad party games were spawned).

After too much time selling the damn things and dealing with it, not to mention dealing with friends that always wanted to play the games that tended to use those controls, well.... yeah, that hate was sealed.

As it is I'm very glad they didnt really do that sort of thing at all with the Wii U. I've not seen any games that at all really force it on the player whatsoever, even though it's sometimes there to some degree.
I think its being streamlined- which happened with 3D and will happen with VR as well later- Devs and consumers will finally understand not ever game has to use the current fad if it doesn't compliment the game or gameplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom