• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why Competitive Splatoon should use all Game Modes instead of one

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
If it makes you guys hate me less, the first idea of when I thought about making this thread is when I thought that Splat Zones were going to be the only mode.

Now I have decided to think about this threads future. This thread has nearly 10,000 views. I honestly thought it's lifespan was going to end sometime at the fifth page, but since it has discussion to this day, and it is popular. I wouldn't be surprised if it last till next year.

I do, however, have a plan.

I will keep this thread up. I won't change the OP at all, heck, i'll keep egregore's and D3RK's posts, but im done debating. And that's because people in the Splatoon comp community can't really seem to agree each other much, imo. From what I can tell, there really isn't a proper "society" in the Splatoon comp community, everyone has such different biases. Again, this is my opinion. (even I have a bias that's very different)

The only time this thread will become locked away in a dark castle, guarded by a dragon, is when Turf's meta and existence is completely dead. It may seem dead now for some, but there are still people who believe that Turf has potential, they believe that Turf is competitive. Whether or not others say it's not. But maybe they will grow out of it. I used to think Turf is equally as good for the other modes in Splatoon's meta. I don't believe that much anymore though (I still love all modes though <3). Who knows the future of Turf and all the other modes? Really, since this games Meta is so young, only time will tell on what gets decided on how this games Meta should be played.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
Really, since this games Meta is so young, only time will tell on what gets decided on how this games Meta should be played.
It's much like Smash 4 in the sense that certain aspects of the actual meta-metagame are determined after a little while. Now, post-EVO, most of the community has focused on customs-off as a standard and customs-on as a side event. Maybe a year from now, we'll see something like that sort of decision start to emerge as we see more tournaments in practise. A big part of it is the spectators.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
It's much like Smash 4 in the sense that certain aspects of the actual meta-metagame are determined after a little while. Now, post-EVO, most of the community has focused on customs-off as a standard and customs-on as a side event. Maybe a year from now, we'll see something like that sort of decision start to emerge as we see more tournaments in practise. A big part of it is the spectators.
Are you talking about spectators for Splatoon or Smash?

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
Are you talking about spectators for Splatoon or Smash?
Both. In Smash, customs don't add any excitement for the spectator, and in some extreneous cases, remove some hype.

In Splatoon, unless something major changes, there's no way abilities can subtract excitement from the game as of yet.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Both. In Smash, customs don't add any excitement for the spectator, and in some extreneous cases, remove some hype.

In Splatoon, unless something major changes, there's no way abilities can subtract excitement from the game as of yet.
Are you implying 8 Diddy Top 8 was exciting pre April?

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
That's like an early tier list in Smash or any other fighter. We can't be shortsighted and develop a feeling that "we've got this", such a thing is what separates the games that make it and those that don't when it comes to having a healthy and mature competitive scene and playerbase.
not quite. fps "tier lists" are relatively simple numbers games. this weapon has more range than this weapon; this weapon has more damage; this weapon shoots faster; and so on. tier lists in fighters hinge on technology that may or may not be discovered at any given time. the same can be said of fpses in rare cases (for example, halo 2 RRX), but in fps games, said technology usually just influences some variable that you were using to determine tiers in the first place (in RRX's case, it made the battle rifle's ttk a lot lower--which you were using to determine how good it was of a weapon to begin with).

so, back to this game, we know that the 96 can 2shot at virtually any range. we know that it has a 20% hard coded wide shot chance. we know it can shoot 40 shots before running out of ink without any savers. we know it has a range of 150. we know its strafe speed is **** slow. put all this together and we know it's a very strong but unreliable weapon--until it's sitting behind a splash wall and has a kraken ready to pop, in which case it becomes the best front line weapon in the game for its survivability, zoning ability, and so on. and since they removed the one tech that could actually counter it (throwing suctions onto the far top edge of the wall), there's no "well we might not know yet" because there's far less for us to explore as countermeasures. I mean, sure: there are countermeasures. gatlings shred walls. jet squelchers can force decos back. chargers can do a lot of burst damage to the wall. they're not uncounterable. it's just that countering them turns them from an unbeatable meat grinder into a very strong and effective defensive weapon.

and then you have elitres that do everything that other chargers do except ping when you hit someone because you shouldn't be max charging with them and they have wall hacks for a special.

you see where I'm going with this. tier lists in smash are dependent on matchups that can change with new technology. tier lists, for want of a better term, in shooters are just a reflection of which gun is the biggest. individual matchups are determined by initial conditions more than they are determined by the weapon itself; a tentatek, which is normally hard countered by a 96 deco, can easily win a fight with one by getting behind it or having a teammate to pincer with. an elitre, which normally hard counters every other charger in the game, can be beaten if the other charger gets into range and gets peek advantage. this is all independent of player skill, too; skill in fps, as I've repeatedly said, is down to position and movement. the best players get themselves into these advantageous situations more often. a C- player walking up behind a S+ player should get the kill. it's just that the S+ player will never let that C- player get behind them. and the "tier lists" in fps games reflect how easy it is to get yourself into winning situations. 96 deco is top tier because it can literally walk into mid, put a wall down, and win a 1v3. krak-on is bottom tier because it needs so much setup and distraction from the rest of its team to even be useful without blowing its special, and there's nothing that can change that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom