• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why do more people not use the Jr.?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
But that doesn't mean much as it's not like Splat Bombs have any particular synergy with Bubbler, whereas Disruptors do. The Jr.'s viability is mostly because of the Bubbler afterall, and Splat Bombs can also be found on the N-Zap'85. I'm not saying the Jr. is any worse now, it's still perfectly good, just no longer the best at what it does. The Zink Mini Splatling will also be in this situation, as it has the exact same sub n special as the Tri-Slosher, but it's only advantage is 0.3 lines more range, otherwise it's just a Tri-Slosher with worse movement. Despite this, I'm sure the Jr. will remain relatively common, first weapon you start the game with so it's got a special place in all our hearts! ...or not. :confused:
Splat Bombs are a good versatile offensive sub, Bubbler is a great defensive special. Regardless if they mesh together they both are very good in what they do individually and sometimes having each part do what they do works fine instead of seeking a synergy between them.

That and Bubber allows for a 2nd Splat Bomb toss and invincibility at the same time which can allow for some neat tricks.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Splat Bombs are a good versatile offensive sub, Bubbler is a great defensive special. Regardless if they mesh together they both are very good in what they do individually and sometimes having each part do what they do works fine instead of seeking a synergy between them.

That and Bubber allows for a 2nd Splat Bomb toss and invincibility at the same time which can allow for some neat tricks.

If you're just looking for a weapon with both a good sub and special then there's plenty of them, most also having a better main weapon.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
If you're just looking for a weapon with both a good sub and special then there's plenty of them, most also having a better main weapon.
This really isn't getting anywhere.

Sum it up, Splattershot Jr. is a light weight run and gun style weapon that favors a less direct approach which I'm good with, accompanied by a sub and special I am quite fond with. End of story roll credits.

(Also just to put it out there, there are currently no other weapons that have the Splat Bomb and Bubbler combo)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
This really isn't getting anywhere.

Sum it up, Splattershot Jr. is a light weight run and gun style weapon that favors a less direct approach which I'm good with, accompanied by a sub and special I am quite fond with. End of story roll credits.

(Also just to put it out there, there are currently no other weapons that have the Splat Bomb and Bubbler combo)
Having Splat Bombs doesn't outweigh having an inferior main weapon especially when the superior's sub is just as good. I've only ever been talking about the competitive viability of these weapons, so you should not have responded to me if you only wanted to talk about why you personally use the Jr.

Haeeun

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Haeeun
Not going to lie, I actually think the inaccuracy of the jr works for me, otherwise I might have ended up using something like the kracken roller. I've gotten a number of kills either inking a path or inking turf where I've accidentally killed someone because I'm aiming in their general direction XD
Also, whenever I use the bubbler and can't kill my attacker, I've learned how to quickly escape. If even that's not an option, I think that's where the splat bombs really come in handy. At least half the times I use them I'm able to get a revenge kill because of a last second splat bomb.

Most people brush off he jr because there are better guns with better stats, and people who aren't as skilled get killed shortly after the bubbler disappears, but with the right skills, the jr/splat bomb/bubbler combo can be super effective, especially when dealing with maps that are charger friendly.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I will say this for the Jr., during splatfest I was lucky enough to get @Knightmare82 (AKA IU Brock) on one of my teams and that guy was nuts with the gun. Unfortunately the rest of us kinda sucked and left him in a 1v4 situation quite often, but that was about the only time he'd die. So a skilled Jr user is a force to be reckoned with.

Relados

Senior Squid
Everything about the Jr. clicks for me. The Splat Bomb lets me either drive off ranged attackers or force them to come closer, where the Jr. has the advantage. If I ever lose the initiative, the fact that the Jr. gets the Bubbler more often than any of the other weapons with the special (due to better turf coverage) lets me always retake the advantage, or at least retreat safely.

There are stronger weapons, sure. There are even those with better specials and secondaries (although the Splat Bomb is my preferred secondary). But where the Jr. lacks in strength, it makes up for in mobility and frequent Bubbler use, something no other weapon can do.

Reactions: blu

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Everything about the Jr. clicks for me. The Splat Bomb lets me either drive off ranged attackers or force them to come closer, where the Jr. has the advantage. If I ever lose the initiative, the fact that the Jr. gets the Bubbler more often than any of the other weapons with the special (due to better turf coverage) lets me always retake the advantage, or at least retreat safely.

There are stronger weapons, sure. There are even those with better specials and secondaries (although the Splat Bomb is my preferred secondary). But where the Jr. lacks in strength, it makes up for in mobility and frequent Bubbler use, something no other weapon can do.
I agree. I've had recent situations where I am put at an immediate disadvantage with a flank attempt only to be able to flip the table completely around in my favor thanks to the bubbler ability. It also gives you some wiggle room for mistakes or if things get a little hot in an area. I find that using the splat bombs in combination with the Jr and the bubbler can help you win fights where you are at a disadvantage against ranged opponents since it can keep the pressure on and allow you to close the gap.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Not going to lie, I actually think the inaccuracy of the jr works for me, otherwise I might have ended up using something like the kracken roller. I've gotten a number of kills either inking a path or inking turf where I've accidentally killed someone because I'm aiming in their general direction XD
As much as I like high accuracy weapons, I have to admit that the random firing also is great for spreading turf.

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
Jr is a good weapon. Bombs are great for rolling toward opponents that you can't reach with your gun. They extend the range of the setup quite significantly, and are very versatile in their own right. The bubbler helps out tons. Special Charge and Duration Up are necessary for the Jr. I even run Tenacity on top of all that. Gets me the bubbler pretty fast. Good weapon that kills fairly quick and covers turf and charges special very well.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Jr is a good weapon. Bombs are great for rolling toward opponents that you can't reach with your gun. They extend the range of the setup quite significantly, and are very versatile in their own right. The bubbler helps out tons. Special Charge and Duration Up are necessary for the Jr. I even run Tenacity on top of all that. Gets me the bubbler pretty fast. Good weapon that kills fairly quick and covers turf and charges special very well.
So you say no to the speed-increasing abilities? :(

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
sometimes I might run a little swim speed up but Jr doesn't really need it since mobility is already pretty high. I run quick respawn a lot with it too.
Yeah, the mobility is high so I like to capitalise on that strength.

Might not be optimal but it feels really good. *shrug*

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
My friend almost exclusively uses the Splattershot Jr. in ranked and she managed to get to S with it, so it's not worthless.

But you probably won't see anyone using this weapon in tournaments since as others have said before, the weapon is out ranged by almost every other weapon in the game. Blast Bombs and the Bubbler help even this out a little, but not enough to really claim an advantage over other weapons... except other short range weapons (but this is a reason you also see almost no Aerosprays, Sploosh-o-matics, or Inkbrushes in ranked).

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64

this may be a little off topic, but I was wondering what is the name of the video that you featured in your signature. That feat looked pretty cool, so I was curious.

Relados

Senior Squid
this may be a little off topic, but I was wondering what is the name of the video that you featured in your signature. That feat looked pretty cool, so I was curious.
Which one? The gif changes every time you reload.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
Because you actually need skill to use it, unlike most other weapons where anyone can pick up the game and win. One main dedicated to Bomb Range Up, a bunch of slots allocated to speed (I use a cap with Opening Gambit and Swim Speed Up) and I'm a mobile tank. It's not meant to be a weapon for killing, it's meant to be support. Disruptors keep an opponent in one spot while a teammate with a longer range can pick them off. Of course I just go ahead and splat them myself because I don't trust my team to take care of them. Normal Splattershot has the handy Panic Button™ and Splat Bombs to put distance between you and them.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
Because you actually need skill to use it, unlike most other weapons where anyone can pick up the game and win. One main dedicated to Bomb Range Up, a bunch of slots allocated to speed (I use a cap with Opening Gambit and Swim Speed Up) and I'm a mobile tank. It's not meant to be a weapon for killing, it's meant to be support. Disruptors keep an opponent in one spot while a teammate with a longer range can pick them off. Of course I just go ahead and splat them myself because I don't trust my team to take care of them. Normal Splattershot has the handy Panic Button™ and Splat Bombs to put distance between you and them.
Kinda wanna try out both the Jr.'s now.

Ao Ika

Inkling
It's pretty good for getting round fast. I see good players kill with it sometimes. I tend to use weapons like it, maybe when Aerospray gets unlocked I'll switch. I actually usually score last place on my team because I never found a weapon that 'clicks', but I think its style is good for my style. I go for points, not kills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom