• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Why the Splat Brella is mediocre at best

VOCALOVER

Inkling
Well, in my opinion it's important to mention that you can't only defend yourself with the Brella, but your team too.
A teammate opening their Brella for you in a crucial moment can provide just about enough time for you to recover and survive combat.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It paints better
Not really, no.
kills faster and more consistently
Maybe you just need practice with it because I find it one of the easiest weapons to kill with, and I often see people online with very good results.
Iand has a better kit.
Now, that's just completely subjective. In fact, the whole thing is. You can't one-on-one compare traits of a Brella and a Shooter and call one better than the other: both have a very different style of playing.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Well, in my opinion it's important to mention that you can't only defend yourself with the Brella, but your team too.
A teammate opening their Brella for you in a crucial moment can provide just about enough time for you to recover and survive combat.
That is true, but the shield is very small. The Tentabrella looks like a better overall choice if you wanna play Brella

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Not really, no.

Maybe you just need practice with it because I find it one of the easiest weapons to kill with, and I often see people online with very good results.

Now, that's just completely subjective. In fact, the whole thing is. You can't one-on-one compare traits of a Brella and a Shooter and call one better than the other: both have a very different style of playing.
Does that mean I can't say that the Ttek is better than the Inkbrush because Ttek isn't a roller?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Compact Brella? Was there a datamine that I didn't hear of?

EDIT: Never mind, I say the other thread. I'm just worried that the damage for the Compact one would be too low since I like my 90 damage Brella to finish off weak people

Also, I hope the Dynamo Brella has a large metal shield because admit it, that would look pretty rad. I don't like how it has point sensors since I find it useless, and it's alt has Splash wall, in which the Brella IS basically a Splash Wall.
Point Sensor makes a lot of sense on this weapon, helps your teammates hit the enemy through your shield that would otherwise make it hard to see. As for the alt kit, well now you have two splash walls that can be used one after another, as well as a splash wall you can shoot through yourself. That plus Ink Armor should make this set really obnoxious like the Cherry H-3 in Splatoon 1.

the

Inkling Commander
I was being sarcastic. No one in their right mind thinks that Inkbrush has a chance against Ttek
That's why a good inkbrush doesn't take chances. If they're playing well they'll splat a ttek before the ttek has time for a fair fight >: ]

just charging at each other yeah the ttek has the upper hand. but just like the custom jr and brella they have different playstyles, so the one that is weaker head-on can totally win if used correctly. Also the custom jr and brella are so different? I wouldn't say either one is a replacement for the other at all, the only thing they have in common is the special weapon

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Situational shield launching is good on some maps in Rainmaker. Otherwise I don't see it as a great weapon (I knew this since day 1, and people were all like herp a derp it needs more time. Well look at it now rofl)

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I would like a button to trigger the brella launch as opposed to it launching on its own after being out for a few seconds.

It's pretty versatile in Salmon Run. The brella shield one-shots chums, so it's useful in the Glow-fly mode. Once again, it would be great if I didn't have to worry about the brella to launch, and I could just use it as a roller, but it still works. Its range and damage make it a pretty good boss killer. If you're about to be bombarded with a Steelhead or Flyfish, and are stuck in muck, the shield can help you survive that.

It can be effective as a support weapon in PvP. I teamed up with a brella user in Moray. Brella guy would do his shield shenanigans, and I would pop the opponents with my mid-range weapon. It helped against some Splattershot Pro and Jet Squelcher opponents.

By itself....I'm not sure. I haven't seen many brella users be much of a threat, and the ones that were seem like they would be more of a threat with a different weapon.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Before launch I was pumped for the brella. A short range weapon that can mess with chargers? Awesome. But with the game out, and chargers being far less of a menace, that's not as important. And with the weapon itself out, as it is now, it's very inconsistent for getting kills. When I battle a brella, 1v1 with no outside factors, I almost never lose. Even with their shield up they get overwhelmed very easily and their questionable shots usually are easy to survive.

I've seen it put in work, but only as a pure support weapon. It can be a monster in Splatzones, most notably Port Zones. Setting up sprinklers up high or on a wall can help lock down a part of the zone, and with the fairly low special charge, it will be pumping out ink storms to keep enemies suppressed even more.

And it's fantastic and fun to use in Salmon Run at least.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I just... don't feel threatened by brella users. Unless they're already at point blank, a brella brandishing their weapon at me usually winds up like that one swordfighter in Indiana Jones.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
a brella brandishing their weapon at me usually winds up
A double lesson in both how not to use a brella(swordfighter) and how to use a brella(Indy), the latter by never fighting fair. Even against other brellas.
By itself....I'm not sure. I haven't seen many brella users be much of a threat, and the ones that were seem like they would be more of a threat with a different weapon.
True, true, but it's still fun shoving people off ledges! Not even just off the map, shoving them off ledges into the middle of a pitched brawl too! Especially right into a contested splat zone. :D

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
To add onto my post, I feel more threatened by the Brella's ink storm than the weapon itself. Last night in turf my opponents happened to have two brellas and a splattershot pro, they won by a landslide despite being team wiped at least twice because my god THE RAIN NEVER STOPPED!

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I hope to Splat Tim you're joking.
Generally, in a 1v1, a splattershot will almost always win. The only way for an ink-brush to win is to get the splattershot distracted on another player, the splatter shot to be dumb, or to have a massive amount of turf control.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Just realized that the Tenta Brella has Point Sensors, not Ink Mine, LOL. Dunno what to think of it now. I guess it'd help when teammates are behind you're shield, but don't know where the enemy is.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Yeah, this weapon ain't too great, but it is fun as hell to use. Works pretty well in Turf Wars, but I wouldn't trust it in Ranked. Hopefully the other kits this weapon may get will be decent enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom