1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Why the Splat Brella is mediocre at best

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by The Salamander King, Sep 10, 2017.

1. VOCALOVER

VOCALOVER Inkling

Well, in my opinion it's important to mention that you can't only defend yourself with the Brella, but your team too.
    A teammate opening their Brella for you in a crucial moment can provide just about enough time for you to recover and survive combat.

Ansible likes this.
  2. MINKUKEL

MINKUKEL Inkling Fleet Admiral

Not really, no.
    Maybe you just need practice with it because I find it one of the easiest weapons to kill with, and I often see people online with very good results.
    Now, that's just completely subjective. In fact, the whole thing is. You can't one-on-one compare traits of a Brella and a Shooter and call one better than the other: both have a very different style of playing.

the and VOCALOVER like this.
  3. The Salamander King

The Salamander King Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    That is true, but the shield is very small. The Tentabrella looks like a better overall choice if you wanna play Brella

4. The Salamander King

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    CJr. Is on the right, Brella in left.

5. The Salamander King

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    Does that mean I can't say that the Ttek is better than the Inkbrush because Ttek isn't a roller?

6. MINKUKEL

You're getting it.

the likes this.
  7. The Salamander King

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    I was being sarcastic. No one in their right mind thinks that Inkbrush has a chance against Ttek

8. Lonely_Dolphin

Lonely_Dolphin Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Einsam_Delphin
    Point Sensor makes a lot of sense on this weapon, helps your teammates hit the enemy through your shield that would otherwise make it hard to see. As for the alt kit, well now you have two splash walls that can be used one after another, as well as a splash wall you can shoot through yourself. That plus Ink Armor should make this set really obnoxious like the Cherry H-3 in Splatoon 1.

9. the

the Inkling Commander

That's why a good inkbrush doesn't take chances. If they're playing well they'll splat a ttek before the ttek has time for a fair fight >: ]

just charging at each other yeah the ttek has the upper hand. but just like the custom jr and brella they have different playstyles, so the one that is weaker head-on can totally win if used correctly. Also the custom jr and brella are so different? I wouldn't say either one is a replacement for the other at all, the only thing they have in common is the special weapon

MINKUKEL and Ansible like this.
  10. mercenariez

mercenariez Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    gamelo8018
    Situational shield launching is good on some maps in Rainmaker. Otherwise I don't see it as a great weapon (I knew this since day 1, and people were all like herp a derp it needs more time. Well look at it now rofl)

11. MINKUKEL

And yet, if you play correctly as an Inkbrush, you'll have no trouble talking out a Splattershot.

Ansible likes this.
  12. J'Wiz

J'Wiz Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JWiz
    I would like a button to trigger the brella launch as opposed to it launching on its own after being out for a few seconds.

It's pretty versatile in Salmon Run. The brella shield one-shots chums, so it's useful in the Glow-fly mode. Once again, it would be great if I didn't have to worry about the brella to launch, and I could just use it as a roller, but it still works. Its range and damage make it a pretty good boss killer. If you're about to be bombarded with a Steelhead or Flyfish, and are stuck in muck, the shield can help you survive that.

It can be effective as a support weapon in PvP. I teamed up with a brella user in Moray. Brella guy would do his shield shenanigans, and I would pop the opponents with my mid-range weapon. It helped against some Splattershot Pro and Jet Squelcher opponents.

By itself....I'm not sure. I haven't seen many brella users be much of a threat, and the ones that were seem like they would be more of a threat with a different weapon.

13. Hero of Lime

Hero of Lime Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Link643
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5339-5185-8796.
    Before launch I was pumped for the brella. A short range weapon that can mess with chargers? Awesome. But with the game out, and chargers being far less of a menace, that's not as important. And with the weapon itself out, as it is now, it's very inconsistent for getting kills. When I battle a brella, 1v1 with no outside factors, I almost never lose. Even with their shield up they get overwhelmed very easily and their questionable shots usually are easy to survive.

I've seen it put in work, but only as a pure support weapon. It can be a monster in Splatzones, most notably Port Zones. Setting up sprinklers up high or on a wall can help lock down a part of the zone, and with the fairly low special charge, it will be pumping out ink storms to keep enemies suppressed even more.

And it's fantastic and fun to use in Salmon Run at least.

Ansible and Dessgeega like this.
  14. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    I just... don't feel threatened by brella users. Unless they're already at point blank, a brella brandishing their weapon at me usually winds up like that one swordfighter in Indiana Jones.

Mr. 9, the, Ansible and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    A double lesson in both how not to use a brella(swordfighter) and how to use a brella(Indy), the latter by never fighting fair. Even against other brellas.
    True, true, but it's still fun shoving people off ledges! Not even just off the map, shoving them off ledges into the middle of a pitched brawl too! Especially right into a contested splat zone. :D

Mr. 9, VOCALOVER, the and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    To add onto my post, I feel more threatened by the Brella's ink storm than the weapon itself. Last night in turf my opponents happened to have two brellas and a splattershot pro, they won by a landslide despite being team wiped at least twice because my god THE RAIN NEVER STOPPED!

the, Green Waffles and Ansible like this.
  17. The Salamander King

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    I hope to Splat Tim you're joking.

18. Flopps

Flopps Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3195-9273-4326
    Generally, in a 1v1, a splattershot will almost always win. The only way for an ink-brush to win is to get the splattershot distracted on another player, the splatter shot to be dumb, or to have a massive amount of turf control.

VOCALOVER and Ansible like this.
  19. Flopps

Flopps Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3195-9273-4326
    Just realized that the Tenta Brella has Point Sensors, not Ink Mine, LOL. Dunno what to think of it now. I guess it'd help when teammates are behind you're shield, but don't know where the enemy is.

20. RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
    Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    Yeah, this weapon ain't too great, but it is fun as hell to use. Works pretty well in Turf Wars, but I wouldn't trust it in Ranked. Hopefully the other kits this weapon may get will be decent enough.