• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Why the Splat Brella is mediocre at best

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The Inkbrush is a sharking weapon while the ttek is an inking/slayer weapon. The inkbrush stands no chance if it gets caught, but if it catches the ttek in a push the ttek gets an one-way trip to spawn. It's like saying a Firefin vs sploosh, context matters- are they up close and personal or far away?

I'm not defending the inkbrush by any means, it's just that their methods of attack are different to the point that a good brush user will not engage foes in a direct firefight.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The Inkbrush is a sharking weapon while the ttek is an inking/slayer weapon. The inkbrush stands no chance if it gets caught, but if it catches the ttek in a push the ttek gets an one-way trip to spawn. It's like saying a Firefin vs sploosh, context matters- are they up close and personal or far away?

I'm not defending the inkbrush by any means, it's just that their methods of attack are different to the point that a good brush user will not engage foes in a direct firefight.
Ttek has the advantage at long range because it has a longer range (duh) and also at close range because of a MUCH faster TTK. A competent Ttek would be able to rapidly spin around and at least trade with a sharking Inkbrush.

Octobrush though (shivers) that's another story.

But I think we should get back to the topic of the Brella.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Note my usage of the word 'correctly'.
What is correctly, then? If you're getting at the fact that you can use it as an ambush weapon... you can do the same for every weapon in the game. No one can win against a good ambush. You need to have more strict criteria for success.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
What is correctly, then? If you're getting at the fact that you can use it as an ambush weapon... you can do the same for every weapon in the game. No one can win against a good ambush. You need to have more strict criteria for success.
Sure, every weapon can ambush. The trick to using the Inkbrush correctly is making good use of the fact it has a broad range. You don't have to be very precise in your ambush. And the way the ink flies all over willy nilly has other uses to, like when you're fighting one or two people with someone else by your side. And if things aren't going your way, you make a quick escape.

But surely you're all smart enough to know how to use each weapon type.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Sure, every weapon can ambush. The trick to using the Inkbrush correctly is making good use of the fact it has a broad range. You don't have to be very precise in your ambush. And the way the ink flies all over willy nilly has other uses to, like when you're fighting one or two people with someone else by your side. And if things aren't going your way, you make a quick escape.
But surely you're all smart enough to know how to use each weapon type.
I agree, those are all assets of the inkbrush. But let's get back to your previous point. You said earlier,
And yet, if you play correctly as an Inkbrush, you'll have no trouble talking out a Splattershot.
My response was that if you're talking about ambushing, the same rule applies to every weapon. No one should have any problem winning an ambush. Neither should they have any problem running away if they've inked behind them, which I would assume happened since they somehow got behind the enemy to ambush them.
If you're saying it's good when you have another person nearby helping you, that's the same problem as counting being good in an ambush as a strength: every weapon is good with teammates helping you, and not every situation you'll be in will have teammates helping you.
Lastly, for the horizontal range, I can understand that issue. If a player can't aim well, they should consider a weapon with more forgiving aim. However, their priority should always be improving their aim, and helping a player to aim isn't as important as giving them better range or better subs and specials. Good aim can make any weapon accurate; no amount of skill will make your weapon shoot further than it can shoot.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Improving your aim is important, but the enemy is improving his/her avoidance game. So having practically no need to aim is still a good thing.

The useful thing I think about the Inkbrush is that you don't have to be very stealthy or too sneaky for an ambush to work. You can also quickly overwhelm people because ink is flying everywhere. It's also harder to just quickly swim away if you're getting suprise attacked by an Inkbrush. If you're getting a suprise attack from a weapon with more concentrated fire, making a run for it might just get you into safe waters.

I mean, I don't use the Inkbrush that often (though I'm not too bad with it). I'm not saying it's one of my favorite weapons in the game, but it's not hard to see what makes it a useful weapon in the right hands. I mean, there's tons of weapons I don't play good as, but in the right hands, any weapon is good. And I've ran into tons of good Inkbrush and Brella users.

finnaggann

Inkling
I used mainly the splat brella to get to S+1 in tower control and I also use it often in rainmaker but I am much worse in that mode so I will speak to it's uses in tower control mainly. I find it to be a very powerful weapon but you don't use it like any other weapon. I will basically say that I never use the sub, maybe I throw it out at the start or when I just spawned to get a bit of extra charge for the storm cloud, but usually I get the storm cloud before I need it and so wasting that time/ink, however little that waste is, is not a decision I choose to make often. When you say it does not get its special fast enough, I think that you are underestimating how fast you can build the special up, because I find that before I die I either get off a special, or I forgot to/was to slow at activating it. I never find myself dying with no special available, and I use it 3 or more times per game each time for great effect. the special is enough to easily kill someone with a few special power ups, and enough time. That is time you can easily buy with the shield. Another thing about the special is that if you think you are about to fight someone, you should jump behind your tower, throw a rain cloud down at your feet facing the enemy, and then proceed to try and live however you can so that they wast time on you and possibly die for it. When using the shield in a firefight the key is not to treat it like it is a riot shield. You don't slowly move around with it up, and you don't hide behind it when the enemy fires. Basically when someone comes at you jump to the side run from them, or otherwise evade their initial fire, then you activate the shield. When you dodge their attack it gives you enough time to put up the shield. Then advance toward the enemy with shield a tiny bit before dropping it and strafing around the enemy with squid, then jump and shield again. Basically repeat this until you hit enough shots while putting up shield or you are at point blank and can kill them. with more than one person just run and try to attack from another angle or pick someone off instead of fighting head on. This strategy gets better when you can use special in a fight, because you basically can force the enemy to stay in the rain, and get off a shot or two on them, so they die while getting nothing done. And if an enemy kills you they often just die to the special and a shot or two from an ally of yours. Finally I will speak about the reason why I use it so often in tower control specifically. It basically nullifies the enemy's ability to stop you on the tower. You have a small pole to block some shots, the ability to jump on and off the tower, and a shield that you can pull up to stop shots, including sniper shots and blaster shots which are both often problems for other weapons in tower control. Then any moment you get to expose yourself freely because you and your team just wiped out the enemies, you can shoot around you in all directions to cover turf quickly and build up a special, to basically just zone out any enemies trying to shoot you. you end up becoming a tank that enemies have trouble dealing with, and if they ever try to ignore you you can just build up special gauge or blast them a few times. The biggest reason why people think it sucks is because they play the weapon slow, but you have to play really quickly to make up for how slow the weapon is.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I wish I could be surprised that it was going to turn out like this, but even during the first few days of Spla2n in the singleplayer with the Hero Brella I could already see pretty glaring flaws. It's disappointing, because it's such a unique weapon and could be a lot of fun if it gets some proper treatment from Nintendo.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Hey! Brella is actually good now! One of my main problems, the shield being slow, has been fixed! Heck, they might have OVERBUFFED it!

Mawnster

Inkling
NNID
Mawnstor
Switch Friend Code
SW-3511-3254-1051
Hey! Brella is actually good now! One of my main problems, the shield being slow, has been fixed! Heck, they might have OVERBUFFED it!
Yep these buffs have quite simply transformed this weapon into a great kit.
The hit registration feels much more consistent and can now reliably get kills if you have good aim. And because the brella opens faster you can actually defend yourself and play mind games with the enemy, this is on top of the increased durability against certain weapons.
I used it almost all day yesterday and it was great for me in all ranked modes. Even in rainmaker I could make some amazingly aggressive plays against an enemy rainmaker cus my shield allowed me to block a whole blast.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Shush your mouth! THEY might hear you. ¬¬;;

But I'm finding it oddly funny that some are viewing the brella as a high tier weapon... omglolwtfbbqlawl

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Shush your mouth! THEY might hear you. ¬¬;;

But I'm finding it oddly funny that some are viewing the brella as a high tier weapon... omglolwtfbbqlawl
It's at least high mid tier, if only for the fact that is counters all of the meta weapons right now.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
True, true. I may just be becoming a brella hipster.

It always had untapped potential at countering short rangers, while also being short range itself. But it's good that said potential is now being realised with these buffs. May it shine bi

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I haven't tried out the new brella yet but from what I've seen run speed up can be super helpful in getting closer to opponents while still defending yourself with that increased open speed. Also probably bomb defense up (if it affects your brella) to protect from more things. Maybe also special charge up. I'll mess with it at some point this week but this is what I would expect to be best.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
As someone who has made it to Top 100 in the last Splatfest with the Hero Brella, Nintendo did a great job buffing this weapon! They fixed the shield, reticle and slightly improved its kill potential. Run Speed Up is even better than before for the brellas since it gives you much more mobility and it allows you to properly strafe and out speed slower weapons such as the Gals/Splattershot Pros. And now you can Super Jump without having to worry about the shield not coming out fast enough.

This is my favorite weapon now and i'm super grateful that Nintendo gave the brella the proper buffs it needs.

Mawnster

Inkling
NNID
Mawnstor
Switch Friend Code
SW-3511-3254-1051
As someone who has made it to Top 100 in the last Splatfest with the Hero Brella, Nintendo did a great job buffing this weapon! They fixed the shield, reticle and slightly improved its kill potential. Run Speed Up is even better than before for the brellas since it gives you much more mobility and it allows you to properly strafe and out speed slower weapons such as the Gals/Splattershot Pros. And now you can Super Jump without having to worry about the shield not coming out fast enough.

This is my favorite weapon now and i'm super grateful that Nintendo gave the brella the proper buffs it needs.
I agree, I think the brella is exactly where it needs to be now. I honestly can’t think of anything it would need changed. It’s a much fairer and consistent weapon now.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Has anyone tried brella on tower? It's really strong for riding it. Really hard to get you off tower without a special

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
^^^ Very pertinent to splat-brella the bugs are strong with this one...
and whether or not it is viable.
AT THE MOMENT
it is a resounding hell yeeeaah brother! (pls fix it, Noltando)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom